Cover Image: Mrs. Witherspoon Goes to War

Mrs. Witherspoon Goes to War

This is my favorite era to read historical fiction, and this one did not disappoint.  Peggy was such a strong woman, both as a WASP pilot but as a woman and mother too.  She did what she had to do to keep her family together, to be the best pilot she could be, and to help fight the war in a way few though was "honorable".

This is the story of Peggy who was determined to fly planes, beginning when she was young buying one that would not fly, but bought the parts and taught herself how to fix it.  After her husband is killed in Europe, Peggy is flying for the WASPs outside Washington DC.  She knows what it is like to be a wife of a soldier missing, killed, and how it affects the family.  She is a determined woman that will stop at nothing to help the effort, even if it has to be secret.  With her friends Nightingale and Brownie, and the intervention of Major Berg, those that were bound to be forgotten were not.

This was an interesting look at how the WASPs were used during the war with the men off fighting on both sides of the world.  Good enough to repair and rebuild airplanes, to test fly them and make sure they are fly worthy for the men to fly, but still not recognized as soldiers - thus they were civilian workers.

I enjoyed this book very much. I think I have read one other book about the WASPs, so it is not a subject written about much.   I would recommend this book to my friends and family.

Thank you Netgalley and the publisher for an advanced copy.
1944 Washington DC

Widow Peggy Witherspoon is an experienced pilot and proud to serve her country as a WASP (Women Airforce Service Pilots).  I loved all the details about what it was like for women to serve as civilians in this role.  These ladies definitely had a passion for their jobs given the resistance they received from some in the military.  My respect for WASPs grew as I learned more about the many tasks they handled.

The main mission in the novel may not have been completely realistic, but I found myself so engaged in it that I pushed aside my questions and enjoyed the adventure.

A wonderful addition to this series.
I absolutely loved reading Mrs. Witherspoon Goes to War by Mary Davis. Mrs. Witherspoon Goes to War is part of the Heroines of WWII series by Barbour Publishing. Mrs. Witherspoon Goes to War tells the story of Peggy Witherspoon, a Women’s Airforce Service Pilot (WASP), and her co-workers during World War Two. WASP Witherspoon lost her husband, also a pilot, fighting for the Allies over in Europe and is trying to raise her two daughters (with the help of her Mother). All the while, doing her best to serve her Country. At the the workplace, the WASPs feel as though they are often overlooked and treated less than fairly for all that they have done to help the United States during the War. At first the WASPs superior, Major Howie Berg (who gets the job because of an injury he sustained during the War), is not quite sure what to think of the WASPs and their abilities. As time progresses, Major Berg highly respects the WASPs and the work that they do. Peggy is also not sure of things since her husband died, especially when it comes to things of God. Peggy and her fellow WASPs are sent on secret missions they know nothing about. However, on one mission, Peggy figures out one of the secret missions and that, in turn, leads to another mission the US does not want to take–but Peggy and her fellow WASPs do. Peggy and her fellow WASPs decide to do this mission “under the radar” without anyone knowing. When Major Berg finds out about the mission, he agrees to help the WASPs because he would have done the same thing–no matter how dangerous the mission. Through their ups and downs at work, Peggy and Howie are able to form a bond and a respect that impacts both of their lives, as well as those of Peggy’s daughters.

I loved reading Mrs. Witherspoon Goes To War from beginning to end. I appreciated reading of Peggy’s struggles with her Faith after the loss of her husband and, as a reader, was sympathetic towards her. It was nice to see how Howie was also coping with his personal injuries and his Faith as well. Despite Peggy and Howie’s struggles, both personally and professionally, they were able to find and hold on to Hope in God.

I also loved the spit-fire and spunk of the WASP ladies. I loved how fearless they were in their missions and how they are true Patriots. I loved the intrigue in the missions and how they figured out codes and such to complete the missions. I really enjoyed reading a book based on a part of history that’s unfamiliar to me. If you are looking for an pleasant, suspenseful read that is full of Faith, then I highly recommend Mrs. Witherspoon Goes to War!

I would like to thank NetGalley and the Publisher for the opportunity to read this book.  My review is also on Goodreads and my blog, Leslie's Library Escape..
Great book! I would definitely recommend to everyone. This was an excellent book.it was great and I would definitely read other books by this author.
This is the first book in the Heroines of WWII series I’ve read. And now I’m excited that I have all of the first five books and can’t wait to read them all. While the story itself is fiction, the focus on the WASPs (Women’s Airforce Service Pilots) and their contributions during WWII was interesting and informative. These women were willing to serve their country even though they were not respected by the majority of men … to the point that their lives were threatened by the men they were there to assist and support. The ladies who served as WASPs served in multiple capacities, from ferrying planes to actually working as mechanics. They were strong, committed, fearless individuals who helped win the war. The romance between Peggy and Major Berg was a pleasant addition. It added a bit of humanity to the story.

Thank you to NetGalley and Barbour Fiction for my advanced review copy. All opinions and thoughts are my own.
So many great books in Barbour’s Heroines of WWII series and Mrs. Witherspoon Goes to War is certainly no exception. Before reading this book I knew very little about the Women’s Airforce Service so the history was very interesting. The book is well researched, and the story is captivating. I loved Peggy Witherspoon and her WASP cohorts. Mary Davis has written a story that is fast paced, easy to read and full of adventure.
This was a fun book to read! I had heard about the WASPS women airplane pilotes but didn't know a lot about them. It was fun to learn more about them! I liked Howie & Peggy's interaction and watching the relationship grow. I always enjoy reading about World War 2.

I voluntarily reviewed a complimentary copy of this book which I received from the publisher. All views expressed are only my honest opinion.
I really enjoyed this story. I was really interesting to read what life might have been like for a WASP in WWII. They didn’t always get the respect they deserved and kind of had to fight for it. It was interesting too, that they had to remind the men to treat them the same way they would treat other men in the military.

Peggy was a strong character but also just a mom as well, which made her relatable.

Howie was a great guy who was learning what his life might look like now that he wasn’t as physically able to do what he used to do.

Overall, a very good addition to this series.

A copy of this book was given to me through Celebrate Lit. All opinions are my own.
Growing up in a family of pilots, Peggy can't help the desire to be in the air, even though she's a woman. Her husband is tragically shot down over Germany, but it doesn't resolve her determination to use her skills and abilities to help serve in the war effort with the Women Airforce Service Pilots (WASP). The new major assigned to their base gets off on the wrong foot with the women, but learns to both trust and respect them as they prove their capability and leadership. On a trip, Peggy learns about missing soldiers that the army can't politically become involved in. The women put a rescue plan in action but with all the obstacles they face, can they execute the plan before it's too late?

Here's an interesting story about capable women using their skills and abilities in some really tough times. There's adventure, suspense and relationship. I recommend it!
This story gave me a much clearer view on the women in WASPS, their duties, even their comradery as they needed to stand with each other. To stand with each other in unison to prove that they could be of help to the men at war and to stand up to the outright prejudice they faced as they were women. Some of the men just didn't think women should be flying planes and they weren't very nice about it.

Major Howie Berg did not see eye to eye with the WASPS nor at first with Peggy Witherspoon. Howie, an injured pilot, had it ground into him that he was to protect women. His noble character got him in trouble sometimes as he tended to see them as women and not really as fellow soldiers. But he admired Peggy greatly, and he certainly didn't want her hurt or have her two daughters orphaned since they already lost their father.

Peggy knows mechanics, knew about them before she became a WASP. Her struggle was to be treated equally, to be taken seriously, and for the men and military to see that the women, though women, were a help to the soldiers.

I found the contrast and the back and forth very interesting. I think Howie and Peggy finally made peace with their roles. I think many women want to be looked at as the help we were created to be, yet I do think we also like to be treated like women too. At least that is what I want.

I received a copy of this novel from the publisher. I was not required to post a positive review and all views and opinions are my own.
Greatly satisfying:
What an interesting and exciting story! As with the rest of the series, I loved how this book brought to life a different aspect of how some women served during WWII. This time it featured WASP pilots, women who flew aircraft in the States for the war effort but were denied acceptance into the military. I enjoyed learning about this brave and underappreciated group of ladies.
When we first met WASP pilot Peggy she was bitter, hurt and still grieving the losses she'd endured. Gradually she was able to find healing and open up her heart once again, not only to love but to God whom she had thought had abandoned her. Howie and all of the other secondary characters were wonderful too and helped to make this story feel multidimensional and authentic.
I received a free copy of this book and am voluntarily leaving a review. All opinions expressed are solely my own.
March 6, 2022 – Shelved

ReviewI thoroughly enjoyed this look into history. Learning about the WASP crews and the heroism and bravery of the time carry through the fictional work and bring the characters and romance around in quite a natural way that kept the story flowing and piqued my interest from start to finish. Peggy and Howie were an excellent example of romance as they're thrown together time and again but resist the pull due to obligation and Peggy's grief. Everything about the book popped with descriptive detail and the writing has an energy to it that I couldn't resist. I loved Peggy's protective instincts and how Howie wasn't a fan of the female pilots at first, it brought chemistry to the story. I received a copy of this book through Celebrate Lit. I was not required to leave a positive review. All thoughts and opinions expressed are my own
I have enjoyed the look at the women who fought on the home front however they could through Barbour’s Heroines of World War II series. The latest installment is Mrs. Witherspoon Goes to War by Mary Davis and gives readers a look of the highs and lows of the Women’s Airforce Service Pilots (WASPs).

Peg is a mother of two and an intelligent woman and we get to see her in all her roles—as a mother, a soldier, a mechanic, a hostess, and a friend. She is such a well-rounded character you’ll wish you had a friend like her. Through Peg we see the camaraderie of the women pilots, their heroism, and the discrimination the men have toward them.

The romance in the book is well-paced as neither Peg nor Howie are ready to risk their positions. The courage of these women is well-lauded in this book and the ending hit just the right chord.

Disclosure statement: I voluntarily reviewed a complimentary copy of this book and was not required to write a positive review. All opinions are my own.
Set during WWII, Peggy serves with the Women's Airforce Service Pilots "WASPS."  As a WASP, she flies ferries planes across the U.S. freeing up men to fight overseas.  After being injured in battle, combat pilot Howie is stationed in the States alongside Peggy.  On a run to Cuba, Peggy overhears soldier talking about captive American soldiers.  When she alerts Howie, she finds outs that the Army will not acknowledge that soldiers have been captured in Cuba, or do anything to rescue them.

The relationship between Peggy and Howie was extremely predictable and stereotypical.  I am so tired of women in war being shown through their romantic entanglements.  This takes away from women's accomplishments in wartime and seems to support the idea that women shouldn't serve.  I wish women were treated as the heroines that they were, rather than falling into the arms of a man at the slightest opportunity.  I doubt I will pick up another book by this author.
Wow! What an exciting adventure I just  took reading this book. The main  character,  Peggy is dedicated to her country. I love how she stands up to those who think women have no business being in the service. During the time period this was written, men took great exception to women flying aircraft. Bravo to all the women who proved them wrong.

The details about the aircraft are phenomenal and shows that the author took her research seriously. It amazed me how much work went into making sure each plane was safe to fly. Peggy is top notch in her field and is always ready to take a plane up to make sure it was functional. I do not like to fly at all. Oh I know it is suppose to be safer than riding in a car, but being up there in the sky is a little unnerving for me.

It was easy to like Major Howie Berg with his attitude of supporting WASPS. He does have a little misgiving about Peggy and her crew, but over time he started to trust them more. That bring up something I want to point out about the story. The author illustrates trusting God by the secret mission that took place in the story. Each person involved in this dangerous mission put their trust in God to protect them.  Peggy may have wavered a little in her faith throughout the story, but with this important mission she knew she had to trust God. I loved how a group of three women took on a secret and intense mission without thought to their own safety.

There is romance in the story that slowly developed but I have to say I was more interested in  behind the scenes details where planes were worked on and the duties of the women were explained. It highlights an important group of women who loved their country and went above and beyond to achieve a second chance for those who had almost given up.

I received a copy of this book from Barbour Publishing and Celebrate Lit. The review is my own opinion.
It’s hard to express how much I really enjoyed this book. Much more than I thought I would when I started it. World War II stories have always intrigued me, especially since my father in law served in the navy during that time.
This is about the WASPs (Women Airforce Service Pilots). They served under the military although they were considered civilians. Peggy (Mama Bird), Jolene (Nightingale), and WASP Brown (Brownie) were all close friends and excellent mechanics and aircraft pilots. They all flew within the US transporting supplies and soldiers various places to free up the soldiers needed for the war. Their courage and expertise amazed me and made me proud to be a woman. Men were still under the impression that females should not be pilots and didn’t trust them.
When in Cuba, Peggy accidentally hears some news that she just can’t let go of. When the commanders will not comply with her request, she and her two buddies plan a secret “mission”. Flying without permission on a junked plane that they pieced together was just the beginning. Throwing in a hurricane and high winds just added to the suspense of the whole situation.
Peggy’s two young daughters and her mother added enjoyment to the story and yes a little romance was included for those of us that like a taste of love.
I received a complimentary copy of this book from the publisher through Celebrate Lit and Netgalley but was not required to write a review positive or otherwise.
This fabulous novel set during WWII is fast-paced and includes realistic faith struggles and day-to-day work experiences of women contributing to the cause. The WASP – Women Airforce Service Pilots – program was not new to me, but I learned more about what women did to free men to fight overseas. WASP was made up of civilian women willing to do what they could for the country they loved. At times it is a pulse-pounding thriller, at times a front-row seat to a woman’s struggle while feeling the Lord turned away from her, and at times a tender family drama with a chance for romance that did not overtake the story.

Major Howie Berg was sent stateside after being seriously injured when being shot down over Germany. He was unhappy with his new assignment. One of the areas he was to oversee at Bolling Field in Washington DC was the work of the WASPs assigned there. Most men did not think women should be involved with the military or fly, even though most of their flying was ferrying planes for overseas use.

Peggy had lost her father and brother in The Great War. She always wanted to fly. George and Peggy had officially met and got to know each other over the plane she bought to repair and fly when she was seventeen. Once married, they had a business delivering people and parcels until the war began. George did not object when she became a WASP. Her mother lived with them and cared for their young daughters while Peggy was at work. Fifteen months ago, Peggy lost her husband over Germany.

Peggy, call name Mama Bird, and two other women did not adhere to the myth that they could not do what men did in the military. Her two closest work friends were Brownie and Nightingale. They flew a variety of planes, repaired them, trained new men to fly, and even flew planes towing material to be used by new recruits as target practice for the “big guns”.

The women heard about three American soldiers who disappeared and were thought to be held captive in Cuba, despite Cuba being an ally. They learned that the military would not go on a rescue mission for them, and why, and were furious. Howie did not like it, either. When his plane went down, had anyone tried to find him before a farmer helped him? Mama Bird and her friends were determined to do something, especially after she met the wife of one of the men. I was beyond impressed with how the author designed what the women knew, learned, and did!

I loved the premise, the characters, and the incredible risk the women took. I had much empathy for Peggy and her faith struggles and how well the author portrayed them. Her daughters and mom had the most to lose when she chose to go on a mission not sanctioned by the military, but the women believed they would be safe. I appreciated the tremendous, detailed research the author did, and the background shared in the author’s notes. This novel was not based on an actual documented event, yet it could have happened. I highly recommend this to women of all ages who like Christian novels about women enduring in a very tumultuous time, faith challenges, and a stateside view of WWII military airfields.

From a thankful heart: I received a copy of this novel from Celebrate Lit, the publisher, and NetGalley, and this is my honest review.
I always take an interest in books centered around historical moments in time.  This story takes me to WW II and the women who served in WASP.  Each character in this story was so interesting to get to know..

Peggy was one strong woman.  She really had it all together. Her bravery was pretty amazing to read about. She did what most men and women could not do or even think about doing..

What is the bravest thing you did?  I can't think of anything that compares with what happened in this book.

I enjoyed the interaction between the women and their bond to each other.  It was frustrating to read how they had to prove their worth to the men in the military almost on a daily basis. But they sure did that and more!

I received this ebook from Celebrate Lit to review.
This is an entertaining and informative novel about the many women who flew to aid the U.S. military during WW II. Davis does a good job of showing the many skills the women needed in flying and maintaining the aircraft. The also highlights the prejudice the women experienced in a role traditionally reserved for men. The character development was good, revealing the determination the women embraced. I did feel the secret mission was unbelievable but it made the novel exciting.

The novel contains a good message of believing God even when disaster has happened. Peggy had lost her husband to the war effort. It was good to see her faith in God restored. Both Peggy and Howie had to overcome obstacles before a possible romance could blossom. Their relationship added a nice human factor to a novel about the war effort.

I received a complimentary egalley of this book from the publisher. My comments are an independent and honest review.
An engaging historical read that gives the readers a glimpse into the life of a WASP during WWII.

I liked that Peggy is a mother, and experienced pilot. She is a good friend, and knows what she is talking about. I loved how well researched the book was and how it showed the work and dedication that the women put into their jobs serving their country. Peggy is a courageous heroine and I liked that she didn't back down from a challenge when lives were on the line.

Howie isn't pleased to be stationed stateside because of an injury. But Howie is a gentleman, he sees that the women want to work and prove themselves, and he is ready to learn from his mistakes. I love how he quickly befriends Peggy's daughters, and how he stands up for the women under his command.

Overall, this is a well written read with great characters, faith, friendship and love. I loved how it showed the pride that the women took in their work as well as their bravery serving their country. Engaging read filled with faith, love and daring. Definitely recommend.