Cover Image: Flesh and Bones

Flesh and Bones

Not exactly a page turner but it also doesn't claim to be one. This book talks about the representation of the human body in the works of arts throughout history from the point of view of anatomy. I was fascinated by the beautiful art pieces and really enjoyed reading about their descriptions, explanations and reviews.
A great source book for art and anatomy enthusiasts. It's a truly a gem for all those who are curious about the human body. Might also be a super gift idea for any medical professionals interested by arts.
I thought this book was very fascinating and enjoyed looking at how the human anatomy was shown through history for both artistic and educational uses.  The essays did a great job giving the history and explanation of what you are looking at.  I really enjoyed the art of anatomical drawings.  My only complaint is several of the drawings had a lot of white space around them on the pages and I would have liked to see them larger.  I was not sure if this was a scaling issue due to their age, but something that stood out to me.  Overall I think it makes a great book for anyone interested in anatomy and not necessarily someone who is just in the medical field.
Flesh and Bones: The Art of Anatomy is an academic collaborative collection of essays associated with an exhibition at the Getty Center, showing the differing approaches to rendering anatomical studies through history to the present day. Released 1st March 2022 by Getty, it's 248 pages and is available in hardcover format.

This is such a beautifully curated collection of illustrations both intricate and precisely rendered. The commentary accompanying the collection is meticulously annotated and scholarly. The illustrations are probably the main attraction, however, I was impressed at the expertise and accessibility of Monique Kornell's writing. I'm a healthcare professional, and an self-styled "anatomy nerd", but anyone with a keen interest in the human body could definitely understand the information presented here.

There's an awe-inspiring amount of research here, and the bibliography and illustration exhibit notes are gob-smacking. The chapter notes and bibliography alone will be worth the price of purchase; I only wish I could've seen the actual exhibit. (It's running through 22nd July 2022, so there's time to plan a trip).

Five stars, this would be an excellent choice for library or school acquisition, for biology lovers, and also not least, for artists. There's no actual artistic tutorial or drawing information, but artists could spend years copying the drawings here and never run out of inspiration. It should also be mentioned that this collection specifically covers human anatomy, not other species.

Disclosure: I received an ARC at no cost from the author/publisher for review purposes
I find the human body extremely interesting, and this book was really good. The illustrations were my favorite part of this book, and I think this is a great book to read excerpts from if you don’t feel like reading it all at once. It tells us how artists used the body to draw, and with help from anatomists as well, the human body is revealed to everyone. I would have to say that you should be interested in anatomy before reading this. Other than that, I recommend it.
Flesh and Bones: The Art of Anatomy is a fascinating look at how the human anatomy has been recreated for both educational and artistic purposes. And the line separating them is pretty much nonexistent.

The essays in the book do a great job of giving a history, told from various perspectives, of illustrating the body. Beliefs in the usefulness through to just how artists were required to sketch immediately from observation rather than later from memory. The catalog is both visually stunning and each item is accompanied by a short description and contextualization.

I have read a couple books recently along these lines, the art of anatomical drawings and such, and I am always amazed at what was captured fairly accurately, as well as some of the more fantastical images as well. But the history surrounding this area of art/education touches on so many other historical events and people that I think most readers with an interest in either art history or history more generally will find a lot to enjoy here.

Reviewed from a copy made available by the publisher via NetGalley.