Cover Image: High Stakes

High Stakes

High Stakes by Danielle Steel. I have read Danielle Steel for years. I love opening the pages of her stories and discovering Danielle Steel new books. Danielle Steel did a wonderful portrayal of abuse in the workplace and the ramifications of it while throwing in some romance.
High Stakes, by Danielle Steel, did not disappoint.  It is a powerful Me Too Movement story of career-driven women and the abuse they endure in the workplace in order to keep their jobs... until one woman finally took a stand.  Thanks, NetGalley and the publisher for an ARC ebook in exchange for my honest review.
This was my first Danielle steel book ever. I’ve had The Butler on my TBR for forever and just have never gotten around to it. My father in law raves about this author, so I was intrigued to read one of her books.

High stakes follows Jane on her journey as she starts a new job at a small NYC literary and talent agency. Throughout the book the 4 women she works with are being introduced more and more, and on top of each of their own struggles, dark secrets come to light. Because Jane is the youngest (with probably the least to lose), she is the first one to try and make a change at the firm.

Holy smokes. I was not prepared for the me too aspect in this book. I also am very surprised by how much I actually liked this. When I realized how many books Danielle steel has published and how long she’s been writing, I thought her work was mostly “not for my generation” (I know, what an incredibly vain way to judge a book). But this was great !!

I loved the writing. To be honest there were a lot of characters in this book and it took me a while to get a hang of who’s who, but the intricate office dynamic and getting to know everyone’s quirks was fantastic. I went through a myriad of emotions at various stages in the book, but I loved it overall. Danielle Steel is for sure an author I’m going to revisit very soon!
Not my favorite Danielle Steel book, but good for her for taking an approach at the Me Too Movement.
High Stakes is another hit by Danielle Steel! High Stakes follows five career driven women with a focus on sexual harassment in the workplace. Very powerful story about having the strength to stand up and do the right thing. Excellent read! Thanks to NetGalley for the opportunity to read. #HighStakes #NetGalley
So, I think Danielle Steel is AI. Of course I know she is an actual person, but I’m still not convinced she isn’t using artificial intelligence to write her books. This was my first time reading Steel. I recently read an article about how she has written over 90 books and I was intrigued having never read anything by her. I thought she came off a little old school in her article. She was all about being extremely dedicated to work and spoke of how she basically chains herself to her desk so she can write. It didn’t sound like the work life balance dream that myself and other millennials strive for. Nonetheless, when I had the opportunity to read an advanced copy of *one* of her newest books, I was too curious not to take it.

High Stakes is about five successful women at a literary and talent agency and the different lives they lead. In fact, this book is all about the balance of work and personal life and how it weighs differently for everyone, although all of these women place their careers very high on their priorities list. I liked hearing more about the behind the scenes of the literary world from someone who knows it well.

The reason I think Steel’s books are actually written by robots is because the tone was very mechanical and the content would be repeated over and over. I know there were a lot of characters to follow but give the reader some credit, I can remember what happened five pages ago and don’t need it spelled out for me again and again. There was barely any emotion conveyed from our omniscient narrator and it was hard to fully connect to the characters. Yet, the story did move along nicely. It was basically what I would imagine from someone who treats writing stories as their disciplined day job.

Another thing that bothered me was how disgusting one of the male characters was. It just felt lazy. Rather than build a character with dimension, Steel just created the most outrageous person she could. It was blatantly ridiculous and just felt unbelievable. I’m not trying to be ignorant about the bad people in the world, but really these situations were just not realistic. I feel like it was one thing too many to pack into this story.

Overall, I see why Steel is a bestselling author. Although this book was nothing special to me, it was still enough to keep me wondering about it. Her writing is clear and concise; I always appreciate a story that is easy to follow. While I found the variety of characters and storylines interesting, there was nothing about this that seemed next level.

Thank you to NetGalley and Random House Publishing Group - Ballantine for an ARC of this book.
Danielle Steel never disappoints. High Stakes is about 5 woman with careers trying to juggle them with relationships some married and some not. This is a perfect example of the amazing story telling talent Danielle Steel has. She weaves between the characters with enough details that you remember them all as you read and that is hard to do. It was a page turner that I simply did not want to put down. Such an amazing way to show how doing the right thing can change so many people's lives! What a wonderful way to spend reading by being caught up in this lovely novel. Thanks to Net Galley for the chance to read this amazing ARC.
Fletcher and Benson has always been THE talent agency and with that comes issues.  Jane is the newest employee and she's not going to push things down the way others have.  But what about the other women who work there?  Four of them tell their stories here and each has their own personal challenge, be it childcare, relationship issues, or financial struggles.  They are broadly drawn but recognizable.  Harassment on the job looks large but don't expect this to get too graphic or deep- that's not Steel's style.  Thanks to Netgalley for the ARC.  For Steel fans.
Set during the Me Too!  movement, this book revolves around 5 women, their careers at a literary agency, and their lives outside work.  The multiple story-lines did make it a bit difficult to keep up with each character, and to get deeply invested in their stories as individuals.

It was a quick read focused on a difficult subject, but was handled with poise and confidence by the author.  It is a shame that women were, and continue to be, treated this way, but my hope is that sometime in the future it will all be history.  Books like this will continue to shine the light on Me Too!

Thanks to the author, publisher and NetGalley for the opportunity to read and review this book, but my opinions are my own.
Overall, I really liked this book.  Solid 3 stars, with a caveat.

This book is about sexual harassment.  The synopsis seems to want to dance around that and not give away any secrets, but that's the heart of the story and I don't consider that to be a spoiler.  It's a standard Danielle Steel, so anyone familiar with her books will recognize her style and writing. Really enjoyed the characters, even the ones that weren't all that likeable.  The main characters are all strong, ambitious, hard-working females.  They each have their issues and challenges, some more dramatic than others.  The storyline gets a bit cliché at times, and there are some cheesy parts where I had to roll my eyes, but honestly, I've come to expect that with Danielle Steel books, and I'm okay with that.  I'm a big fan of them, maybe because of the cliché and cheesy.  While the subject matter is a genuinely serious issue, I felt  the  harassment that occurred here to be WAY over the top.  I'm sure there are people who will blast me for that and say I have no idea what I'm talking about, it really is that blatant, and that's okay.  From this reader's standpoint, the book would have been far more palatable if the author had practiced some subtlety.

I have a broader complaint that goes beyond this book.  I find it annoying that books (including this one) seem to so easily jump on the latest bandwagon du jour.  It got annoying how many times the phrase "me too"  or #metoo was used in this book.  Sexual harassment has been around a LONG time, but suddenly its fashionable to write about it.  Six months from now, I'm sure there will be a Danielle Steel book on Covid, and then six months after that, one on racism and black lives matter.  And I will read them, I'm sure, because I like her books.  But I'll complain about those too, because a story about the latest cause or movement just seems so unimaginative.  Write about something I haven't seen over and over again on the news.  Or, better yet, write about a subject BEFORE it becomes news.  That, for me, is a good book.
Having won writing awards and taking creative writing classes, myself, I can recognize and appreciate it.  Danielle Steel tells it like it is with no fancy frills or fluff.  It's so much easier to read and, for me, makes me more eager to pick up my Kindle and continue the story.  "High Stakes" was no exception.  There was no great plot (maybe no overall "plot" at all), just the tale of five different women pursuing their vocational aspirations.. But it was very interesting getting to know each of them, their differences and their similarities.

While I often remove a star from my rating for language and sex, all 5 stars remain for this one.

Review will be posted elsewhere (like Amazon) after publication.
High Stakes by Danielle Steel is yet another masterpiece in the collection of her writing. This is a powerful book focused around sexual harassment and the "Me Too" movement. It follows several women working together in the same work place. Lots of characters so follow closely.  Also, there are some topics which may be triggers for some including rape and sexual assault. I recommend this read not only for the author but what she has to say to bring women's voices further.
★★★ ☐☐ The publisher has provided a copy for review.
As always, lots of action, a fun plot that makes you glad for avengers of the ambitious. Steele continues her run of novels of women with aspirations and privilege, making a difference around them. Young career women are her specialty.

Though there's not much new, if you've enjoyed Steele before, you'll enjoy this one.
I just couldn't get into this book. There were one too many characters and one too many plot lines. I thought this was going to be a badass girl gang taking down a shiesty guy al a "me too" movement. While that is the main plot, I felt like it got buried between who the girls were hooking up with and their lives at the firm. It was also a little graphic in the sexual harassment in the beginning. And I felt hard to sympathize with Bob who was so surprised Dan was this horrible monster even though he was very vocal about his opinions on women. Overall it needed to be simplified and focus on the main plot.
Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for allowing me to review this book.  I am an avid fan of anything by Danielle Steel and this book will NOT disappoint.  This book deals with the Me Too Movement and the courage of one woman’s to stand up for herself in the face of losing all that she has worked hard for.  If you like Danielle Steel this book will not disappoint.
Great story about strong women in the workplace who find the strength to stand up for themselves.

Danielle Steel is a superb writer who never fails to disappoint with her books
Danielle Steel has never left me down and of course, High Stakes was no different. This book is based around the sexual harassment, Me too, movement. It follows several women working together in the same work place. This book is eye-opening and thought provoking. I’m the beginning of the book, there were several characters introduced at once and I was worried I was going to have a hard time following them all. I quickly figured them all out clearly and from them on, it was hard to put the book down. This book may be triggering for some as it deals with sexual assault and rape. Fantastic read, overall.

Thank you Net Galley and Random House- Ballantine for an ARC of this book in return for my honest review.
This was a powerful story, but not an easy read.  There were quite a few characters and all had an important part.  Jealous spouses, children who didn't understand why their mothers worked so much, a boss who intimidated and harrassed sexually the women at the office all made for a story that was hard to read but rewarding.  The author made sure that she gave the women their voices and the boss his just rewards.
I got this book from NetGalley and am voluntarily leaving a review
I’ve read all of Danielle Steels books, this had a lot of characters to keep track of. The message behind the story of these women in the book had a very #metoo feel to it, Very  important msg., but might have been able to get into the story more if only had fewer women involved to feel like you got to know them better.
Wow what a great story! Seemed a little slow to get started, but once I got into it I didn't want to put it down. A story about 5 women, determined to make it in the business world despite challenges along the way. Jane is a brave woman that starts the dominos falling down to expose the secrets in the literary and talent agency where she has just started working. Loved the strength in all 5 of the women and it ended perfectly for all involved. Yet another great Danielle Steel story!

This review is based on an ARC from NetGalley, courtesy of the publisher. All opinions are my own.