Cover Image: High Stakes

High Stakes

I read this novel all at once. This novel was about 5 women in a literary and entertainment agency. The main focus was on the Me Too movement. I did have an issue with Bob one of the owners of the agency. Probably because he allowed things to happen even when his gut told him something was probably wrong. Overall it was an enjoyable read. Thanks NetGalley for the advanced copy. #NetGalley #HighStakes
I absolutely love Danielle Steel, love her books and her style of writing. This was yet another fantastic book of hers-I thoroughly enjoyed it!
Another good Danielle Steele book regarding four women working in the business world and the problems that women have dealt with over the years when working.  These four females lives were affected differently because one was single, one was a widower with small children, one was divorced with teenagers and one single with no children.  Because of the actions of one person each one was affected differently in the workforce.  Good book and I would recommend this book to others.
Thank you Net Galley for an ARC of High Stakes by Danielle Steel.  D.S. sure knows how to tell a story.  Her words and sentences just flow making her novels easy to read.  She is definitely one of my favorite authors and I will read everything she releases.  This novel was about an agency, all the players in it and their lives.  The focus of it is the "Me Too" movement.  D.S. created a powerful story and I loved every second of it.
High Stakes is Danielle Steel’s foray into the MeToo Movement. This book follows the lives of five women and how they choose to deal with circumstances which fall into this movement. Although, it is difficult at times to keep up with the many characters and their lives, it is refreshing to read a depiction of the struggles that some women face each day when it comes juggling home life and work life. The setting and the lives depicted are believable and heartbreaking, as well. It allows us to see what choices some are forced to make and the reasons behind those choices. As always, I thoroughly enjoyed reading another of Ms. Steel’s books, and I applaud her willingness to tackle this subject. Thank you to her, NetGalley, and the publisher for the opportunity to review this book.
High Stakes is a novel that focuses on the lives of five women who worked at a boutique literary and talent agency. Two of them were single moms, one of them was just starting out and was eager to impress her boss, one has in a failing marriage and the final women was single and had a habit of getting involved with her clients.  Hailey and Francine juggle their careers and children and struggle to find the balance. Jane, the newest of the women, is the latest to fall prey to one of the partners of the agency, who has been sexually harassing the women in the agency for years. She is determined to stand up to him.

It took me a few chapters to keep the characters straight. I didn't care for the character of Allie. Yes, she was playing a "high stakes" game, but I feel the pressures put on her were of her own making and didn't make her as sympathetic as the other women. I think Merriwether's husband went from annoying to a villain way too fast. Hailey and Francine were strong female characters who were put in awful positions but had to do what they needed to do in order to survive, especially Francine. Jane was the catalyst for change.

High Stakes is one of those books that I am glad I read but could never read again. It leaves a mark on you. You are glad you read it. I have been a long time reader of Danielle Steel. This was not one of my favorite Steel novels.
Jane Addison comes from a successful family and dreams one day of owning her own magazine. She goes to work for a friend of her fathers at Fletcher & Benson, a prestigious talent agency in New York. She will be as an assistant to Hailey West a literary agency.  She is in awe of the women working there, especially Hailey, Francine and Allie! They seem to have it all but each has struggles in their lives outside the office. Jane runs into Dan who thinks he has the right to take liberties with all the females. This is acceptable in the office. When he approaches Jane she fights him off but no one seems to think it is a big deal. Jane must decide to go along with this or fight to right the wrong that is going on. Her decision would affect the entire office!

Thanks to Danielle Steel and Random House Publishing Group-Ballantine for the book!
A bit intense, it’s the day of the #Metoo movement.  It’s a story of one woman’s courage to stand up for herself in the face of losing all that she has worked hard for.

A young woman, Jane is highly qualified for a job as a literary agent and gets a job where there are strong successful women that she admires, but at what cost?  Jane has a few run-ins with one of the managing partners who is misogynistic and of the mindset that young women are only asking for attention. Unfortunately, after a few untimely encounters, Jane presses charges and the consequences implode.  More women come forward, leading to the downfall of Dan as well as the repercussions affect others in the firm. Bob, the other partner, sympathizes with Dan and had been willing to look the other way for years, even ignoring his wife’s pleas when Dan hit upon her.  Julia, also a victim, had accepted that this was the way it was done.  Francine, lived in numbness for 10 years while succumbing to Dan’s threats that she must submit to his sexual wants or be fired. Jane was the only one with the actual courage that Dan’s actions were not okay which helped these other women to finally say that they were victims too.

This book, while timely in its message, was one disaster after another and not an enjoyable story to read. It was very predictable and more like an accounting.  Walking a fine line between sexual harassment and inappropriate relationships in the work place seemed to abound. As the reader, you applaud the women as they find their voice and their courage. However, you also shake your head at the inconsistences with what is right and what is not. This was just not my favorite Danielle Steele book to date.

Many thanks to #netgalley #daniellesteel #highstakes for the opportunity to read and review this book.
This was pretty standard fare from Danielle Steel. It is the story of five women who work for a literary and talent agency in New York City and the plot centers on sexual harassment and the #MeToo movement. At times, it felt like an episode of Law & Order: SVU in the ease and short amount of time in which things were wrapped up.
I was glad to see that this author wrote about this critical and timely topic. The beginning of the book flowed well, and I thought to myself that it was different in that the main characters may not have as charmed a life as in previous books. But, unfortunately, that was not the case. Of course, each of the five women had their “happy ever after” ending, and most of the women ended up with a great guy.
Even though each character’s story does have a picture-perfect ending, not only in this book but in all of the other books by the author, I will continue to read them. I know what I’m getting when I read them, they are comfortable, and I was happy that this one dealt with this timely topic.
I grew up reading Danielle Steel novels, and I always look forward to a new one.

In High Stakes, Danielle Steel brings us into the world of literary and talent agents. We get a glimpse into the lives of five vastly different women who worked hard to get where they are in this exclusive agency.

I really enjoyed this book and can't wait to read more from this author.
I will be recommending this book to all of my girlfriends! The stories of each of these women were woven together and just kept me so engaged in their lives. I was rooting for each of the main characters from the beginning!
High Stakes features strong working women fighting against harassment in the work place while trying to balance their personal lives and the costs are high.
As these woman work to achieve personal/professional goals there will be those that take advantage of them. They fight through this trying terrible ordeal.  Soon they learn that the problem is much bigger then they are and take a stand to end it.  But at what costs?
This is another great book by Danielle Steele as she continues to tell true life stories.

Thank you to NetGalley and Random House Publishing for this ARC
Good new addition to the Danielle Steel library.  Yet again, she is tackling the #metoo movement, which is maybe her 3rd book in this theme.  I would like to see some additional current topics covered. I liked the strength of the main characters, and I liked how all of their lives were not "perfect".  Overall its a quick read with good characters and good plot.
Just finished this book. A great read about sexual assault in the work place and how you need to stand up for yourself and get the person or persons pay for their crimes.
I loved digging into the newest Danielle Steel novel, which delved into deeper themes than her usual works. In High Stakes, we follow 5 women in the workplace, thrust deep into the #MeToo movement.

5 women in varying positions work at a publishing house/talent agency. The novel goes through various characters and their experiences in their day-to-day lives.  From the rookie on the job to the most senior editors, readers are given a chance to see what exactly life is like for each protagonist.  Themes of bravery, balancing motherhood and work, happiness, and the importance of mental health are all prevalent in the story.

A quick, interesting, read. this one grabbed me from the start and I couldn't put it down. Thank you, for this advance copy of High Stakes!
This book was absolutely great.  It shows the reality of what some women face in the workplace.  The good,  bad, and ugly was all brought to light.   This book kept me flipping pages. I definitely recommend this. (Thznks to NetGalley and the publisher for providing an ARC on exchange for an honest review. )
The novel, High Stakes, by Danielle Steel explains how women have the right to defend themselves against a boss* sexual advancement. . This novel depicts the  "Me too" movement in the way that Jane has the strength to remain true to her convictions. . .I would like to thank the #NetGalley and the  publisher for allowing me to read  #HighStakes prior to its publication.
the story of a group of remarkable women navigating the challenges of balancing their families, their personal lives and the high stakes of ambition at the top of their game
Danielle Steel once again is the queen of romance novels. High Stakes is different then what she usually writes. This book she dives into the Me 2 movement, I found myself rooting for all 5 women and could't read fast enough. Read it in a day and half. Thanks again for the advanced copy.
This is my 42nd book by Danielle Steel and it’s got a lot of the Me Too movement going on. Lots of characters to keep track of and I was having a hard time remembering who was with who and who did what. With all that being said, it held my interest and I read it in 2 days! Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for this early release in exchange for my honest review.