Cover Image: American Royalty

American Royalty

At the beginning of this book, I didn't think I would like it at all. Rap and Hip Hop are not my thing, so I wasn't excited about a book featuring a rapper. Once the setting of the book moved to England, and the Prince and "Duchess" Dani met, things began to heat up. Dani was actually a down-to-earth woman, with a kind heart. However, she was a bit raunchy.
The chemistry between the prince and Dani was definitely there, and there were many, MANY, steamy scenes which portrayed their interest in bed. I know that this novel is in response to the Harry/Meghan marriage, as well as referencing some other celebrities with business ventures, but although I liked the romance between Dani and the prince, I still found it VERY difficult to imagine that 1. a performance for the royal family would be laced with profanity, and 2. that a rapper and a prince would be able to pull it off.
As always, with books like this, I truly wish the author would spend more time showing the personalities of the characters, so that if they do make a go of it, you believe their relationship would last - because they know each other as friends, vs. just being hot for each other. I do think it is important to show interracial relationships.
All in all, I ended up liking the book, and the ending was just deserts.
Thanks to BookClubGirl/HarperCollins/WilliamMorrow and NetGalley for the ARC. All opinions are my own and freely given.
Grab a fan, cause this book was hot!
The main characters, Dani and Jameson, had combustible chemistry. It practically burned through the pages! I was not expecting that from a royal romance that's for sure!
Dani is a wonderful heroine. She's a famous rapper (yas!) and super confident and sexy. I loved how she owned her identity and didn't let anyone tell her who she is or change for anyone.
Jameson did take a moment to warm up to since it was kind of a jerk in the beginning but I grew to like him too. His character had layers and I liked that we got to see them.
This book had so had so much going on but I think everything gets resolved in a way that is believable.
If you're into celebrity/royal romance, enemies to lovers, forced proximity, forbidden relationship, steamy reads, and spicy scenes this book is for you.
Thank you Tracey Livesay for the fairytale every Black woman has been waiting for.  American Royalty is a superb study of what it means to be true to yourself no matter what you stand to lose. Being you is the most powerful and attractive thing in the world. This book has all the things I love: A heroine who is the perfect mix of a sexy ‘around the way girl’ and a ‘boss b*tch’, a hero who is swoonier than all the Hallmark princes collectively, fire chemistry, and it was written by Tracey Livesay. What more can you ask for? Read this book!!!
I liked this book.  The blurb compares it to Harry and Meghan, but I that’s a stretch.  Dani is a hip hop singer with explicit lyrics, and her stage costumes are skimpy. Meghan starred in Suits!

Anyway, I liked the plot and loved the characters.  Dani and Jameson have mad chemistry, and their besties are great.  I liked the differences in the public and private faces of Dani and Jameson.  There are lots of glimpses inside the palace, and at the Queen and her adult children.  This is a fun read that once I started I couldn’t put it down.  One note, the sex is steamy and sometimes graphic.

If you’re a fan of royals you’ll love this one! 4.5 stars.

Synopsis:
In this dangerously sexy rom-com that evokes the real-life romance between Prince Harry and Duchess Meghan Markle, a prince who wants to live out of the spotlight falls for a daring American rapper who turns his life, and the palace, upside down.

Sexy, driven rapper Danielle "Duchess" Nelson is on the verge of signing a deal that'll make her one of the richest women in hip hop. More importantly, it'll grant her control over her life, something she's craved for years. But an incident with a rising pop star has gone viral, unfairly putting her deal in jeopardy. Concerned about her image, she's instructed to work on generating some positive publicity... or else.

A brilliant professor and reclusive royal, Prince Jameson prefers life out of the spotlight, only leaving his ivory tower to attend weddings or funerals. But with the Queen's children involved in one scandal after another, and Parliament questioning the viability of the monarchy, the Queen is desperate. In a quest for good press, she puts Jameson in charge of a tribute concert in her late husband's honor. Out of his depth, and resentful of being called to service, he takes the advice of a student. After all, what's more appropriate for a royal concert than a performer named "Duchess"?

Too late, Jameson discovers the American rapper is popular, sexy, raunchy and not what the Queen wanted, although he's having an entirely different reaction. Dani knows this is the good exposure she needs to cement her deal and it doesn't hurt that the royal running things is fine as hell. Thrown together, they give in to the explosive attraction flaring between them. But as the glare of the limelight intensifies and outside forces try to interfere, will the Prince and Duchess be a fairy tale romance for the ages or a disaster of palatial proportions?

Thanks to the publisher and NetGalley I received a complimentary copy of this book. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.
This weekend I needed an escape - and did American Royalty deliver. The dynamics between Duchess/Dani and Jameson kept me reading. This is a perfect summer read, with fun and heat, but also touching on business commitments, family, and the challenges of fame.

Thank you to Avon and HarperVoyager and to Netgalley for an ARC.
#AmericanRoyalty #Netgalley
This was a fun read my only gripe the rushed pacing towards the end. I hope there is a part two of Dani and Jameson's story. Definitely want more of these two characters chronicling their life in the royal palace. Pick this one up if you are a fan of Harry and Meghan.
When I first heard about this book, I was excited to read it because I love Prince Harry and the Duchess Meghan Markle together. However, I made the mistake of not reading the full synopsis before diving in. This is the story of a Black female rapper and skin care entrepreneur name Danielle "Duchess" Nelson and her whirlwind romance with the introverted prince who works as a philosophy professor. In the U.S., Duchess has been dealing with her management constantly making decisions for her without her consent and a pop star who won't stop trying to ride the rapper's coattails through social media and the press. She just wants to control her own life and move more into the skin care realm with a company interested in striking a deal. Thankfully, she gets the perfect opportunity to escape the madness for a while AND drum up good press through a surprising opportunity.
In the U.K., the Queen is at her wits end with her children and the negative attention they've brought on the royal family. Seeking to convince the public of the royal family's importance and celebrate her beloved late husband, she tasks Prince Jameson with organizing a week long celebration complete with a tribute concert. There are just a few problems...Jameson hates public attention, he doesn't listen to popular music, and he can't back out. On a whim, Jameson asks a student for musicians to recommend, which leads to his decision to invite Duchess to perform without looking into her or her music.

This book was very steamy and full of sexy scenes. I also loved the Great British Baking Show references. However, there wasn't much else I loved about this story. Aside from Prince Jameson being described as extremely attractive and the sexual tension between him and Duchess, I didn't see any real reason the two could fall in love. They barely opened up to one another and when they did, it was only with partial explanations. Most of the time, they were having sex, thinking about it, or trying to act normal in public. So Their love connection didn't feel believable. I also had a hard time with this book because I felt like there were way too many instances of things not quite making sense...
One example: If Jameson grew up as a royal with their need to appear proper at all times, why is he so ignorant of how obvious he and Duchess are in front of his staff and others? They both seemed to lack common sense throughout the book.

If you like instalove and smut and don't care as much about these things, I think you'll enjoy this book!
Thank you Book Club Girl for the opportunity to read an early copy of American Royalty. I really enjoyed this book. I had never read any of Tracey Livesay's books before but I definitely plan to now.
Wow. Some days you need a book to escape from your own day to day and insert yourself in someone else’s glamorous life. Tracey Livesey’s American Royalty does that with ease, even while stripping away the benefits of fame and fortune to show the perils that lie underneath.

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Dani, aka Duchess, is a famous American rapper with a skin care line designed for women of color. She wants to grow her company, but a manufactured beef with a pop star is messing with her reputation. When she gets the chance to perform at a star studded concert to honor royalty, she jumps at the chance to move the focus back to her music and her business. Prince Jameson is a university professor who just wants to stay out of the spotlight. But his grandmother the Queen has other plans and insists he spearhead a celebration of his late grandfather’s charitable works. He suggests Duchess as a musical guest on a whim, and has no idea what he’s gotten himself into. When the two meet, sparks fly immediately.  But can they merge their two very different lives?

I loved this book. Dani and Jameson were both engaging characters that immediately pulled me into their distinct lives. I especially liked the celebration of Dani’s business acumen. The differences between their public and private personas felt realistic, as well as their initial discomfort with each other. And the chemistry between the two is scorching! 🥵

There is no way to read this book without thinking of Meghan Markle and Prince Harry. The differences between “regular” celebrity and royalty is vast, as well as the role of racism in how the press and paparazzi treat them. While Dani thinks she’s prepared, she not. Jameson attempts to protect her, with mixed results.

This romance is smart, charming, hot and insightful. Dani and Jameson are amazing characters who richly deserve their happily ever after. If you like celebrity or royal romance, dive into this immensely satisfying book now!

I voluntarily read and reviewed an advance copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
I'm so sad that this ended up being a DNF for me, because the premise and the cover (OMG gorgeous) really drew me in! Unfortunately, the beginning chapters were quite slow-moving and the character's voices didn't appeal to me. I was shocked by how long it took for the two main characters to meet and once they finally did, the chemistry was missing.
I received an ARC of this book thanks to the publisher and NetGalley.

This book was very fun and flirty! Anything with a British Royal romance immediately sparks my interest and I’m glad to say that American Royalty held it. Dani and Jameson had great chemistry and the steam was there for sure.

I will say, although I enjoyed this book, the romance seemed a tad bit rushed and therefore unbelievable to me. There are some odd time jumps, and while we do get a few cute romantic moments, a lot of the interactions that we get of Dani and Jay are primarily physical. This is of course still good, but the ending doesn’t particularly make sense given this context.

Speaking of the ending, it felt VERY rushed. The major conflict shows up extremely late and is then resolved extremely fast. It left me feeling a little disoriented.

Overall though, this book was easy and delightful to read. I did enjoy it, but my advice to future readers is just to not take it too seriously. It’s a fun, flirty, romance with an interesting concept, and I definitely recommend it for lovers of romance.
I almost did not finish this book. The first 30% was so boring!! It took that long before the main characters even met. There was no slow build or tension between the characters. Dani and Jameson jumped right in after just having met. I like that build up and sexual tension before the two love interests actually get together. The last part redeemed this book a little and changed my rating from a 2 to a 3 star review. If the author would have cut some of the first part of the book and used it to build Dani and Jameson's relationship a little slower it would have made this book much better.
Who doesn't love a royal romance? How about a celebrity romance? What if I told you that American Royalty had a relationship between a royal and a pop star and an interracial one at that? This is the first book I have read from Tracey Livesay and I am definitely eager to pick up her backlist after this! If you see the cover, you might think this is based on Meghan Markle & Prince Harry, but the characters couldn't be more different - starting with a reclusive Prince who is new to the spotlight.

I can't say enough good things about this book, so let Duchess (Dani) and Jameson speak for themselves on June 28th when you pick up a copy!

Thank you to Avon for an advanced copy. All opinions are my own.
Add to your tbr if you like:
- forbidden romance
- grumpy/sunshine
- forced proximity
- the tv show The Royals

Loosely inspired by Meghan Markle and Prince Harry (with a dash of Megan Thee Stallion), this is a steamy contemporary romance for your summer tbr! This was an insta-lust between reserved philosophy professor, Prince Jameson, and world famous rapper and skin line mogul, Duchess. I love romance with dual POVs and getting to feel their chemistry explode throughout the book. Jameson is a reclusive royal with major grumpy vibes when he meets Duchess. Used to working a crowd and having most men fall to their knees, Duchess (Dani) definitely knows how to bite back when her usual sunshine meets a stone wall. I loved Dani's cultivated "take-no-shit" attitude and Jameson's feelings growing in ways he never expected. They both have certain perceptions of the other and they slowly peel back the façade they put on for the public and get to actually know one another. There was also set up for potential future books with Rhys, Nyla, and Samantha.

Insta-lust isn't always my jam and I wish that Jameson's original grumpiness hadn't been solely based on hiding his attraction and sex dreams he had about Dani before ever meeting her in person; she experiences that enough with men in her industry. Their relationship had sweet moments, but was mainly focused on lusting after one another, I would've liked to see more depth into what their future could potentially look like. There are also a few weird time jumps or awkward cuts in scenes, which occasionally made me flip back a page to reread.

Overall, this is a fun read for your summer tbr, very heavy on the steamy scenes and Dani's focus on her career!
Thank you to Avon, Harper Voyager, and Net Galley for this eARC. This is a voluntary review.
Content warnings: sexism, racism, sexual harassment, grief, past loss of a family member

Dani "Duchess" Nelson is an American rapper who used rapping as her gateway to fame and financial success, but she wants to leave the business and focus on her skincare business. MelaSkin creates skincare products for women of color, which Dani is passionate about much more than her music.

Prince Jameson is a philosophy professor at the University of Birmingham in the UK. His deceased father was a senior royal, and the prince was allowed to continue normal life after his father's death at his mother's request. But his grandmother, Queen Marina II, wants Jameson to begin his role as a working member of the royal family with a concert to honor her late husband. Jameson is expected to step up and become one of the few royals without an associated scandal.

Jameson knows nothing about music and asks a student for recommendations of potential performers, and Duchess is mentioned. Jameson thinks it's amusing to have a performer named Duchess at a royal event and submits her name without looking into her career. Dani needs good publicity after a pop star posted a video on social media that made Dani look bad, so she accepts. But the queen was not expecting a risqué hip-hop act to be performing.

When Duchess arrives in the UK, she finds that her rented cottage sprung a leak. This forces her to move into the main house, which happens to be Prince Jameson's sprawling country estate. Dani and Jameson have a terrible first meeting, but in private they admit they're attracted to each other. When Jameson tries to correct his first impression, he ends up spending a lot more time with Dani. Will they be able to overcome their dislike and admit their desire? And once the queen finds out, will it all fall apart?

Recommended for royal watchers and fans of interracial romance.

Representation: African-American main character, interracial romance, orphan, female business owner, black business owner, POC side character
An homage to Harry and Meghan? Sign me up! In this book, we see famous rapper Duchess aka Dani get asked to play at a charity concert for the Queen of England. When she meets her host, Prince Jameson, there's an instant attraction but his cold demeanor is hard to overcome. Eventually the two break down their walls and try to determine if their fling is for the duration of her stay or something that can be forever--but, of course, it's not entirely their decision, as royal family and the paparazzi seem to get in the way.

I went into this book a little bit nervous, because taking such blatant inspiration from real life can be challenging, but I was pleasantly surprised and really enjoyed this book. My main complaint is that there seemed to really only be a physical connection between the two main characters. And I love a good steamy romance, but this jump to the physical really seemed to only reinforce the heroine's oversexualization, which she complained about throughout the book. It seems as though, for at least the first half of their fling, the prince really only viewed her as a sex symbol. I didn't trust that he really liked her for her. But, the book was still a fun read, especially for royal watchers and Harry and Meghan fans.

Thanks to Avon for my eARC! All thoughts and opinions are my own.

4 stars - 8/10
Thank you Netgalley and Avon for the gifted copy!

AMERICAN ROYALTY had a lot of potential - it is a Harry and Meghan esque story but instead of Meghan Markle, we got a Megan thee Stallion type character in our female MC, Dani “Duchess” Nelson - an unapologetic, vibrant famous rapper.

On the other hand, our male MC, the introverted Prince Jameson who wants nothing, was extremely unlikable. While I LOVED Dani and was rooting for her through the entire story, I couldn’t stand Jameson for most of the book.

I couldn’t really get a handle of the pacing of the story. The two MCs don’t meet until about 25% through the book. They got off on the completely wrong foot, which was fine and caused for some amusing moments, it turned to lust SO quickly it gave me whiplash. I wasn’t convinced that these two felt anything for each other other than lust.

I wanted so much more from the story. While there is plenty of steam, the book doesn’t really go anywhere else, even when the writing hints at it. Since this story is so heavy based on Harry and Meghan, I’d hoped we’d get to know Jameson and Dani on a deeper level since Harry and Meghan have been so open on how their relationship has been affected by the spotlight.

I so wanted to like this book - Dani/Duchess was a great character, but she was the only one I was invested in.

If readers can suspend reality and the connections to Harry, Meghan, and the royal family, I see this having the potential to be a popular summer read!
⭐⭐⭐ 1/2 (rounding up)

What if Meghan Markle was also Megan Thee Stallion?? First of all, like most Americans, I'm a sucker for a "commoner" and Royal relationship. Add in the fact that it's an interracial romance and that "commoner" is a rapper, and I'm sold!

Dani might not be royalty, but she is known as "Duchess". More than that, this woman is a QUEEN. The confidence. The charisma. The fact that she rocks a pair of sweat pants. I loved her, start to finish. Jameson on the other hand, took some warming up to. I thoroughly enjoyed the commentary about the royal family's prejudice (*cough* racism *cough*) and everything about Black women working in the music industry, but the romance itself wasn't my favorite. To start with, the couple doesn't even meet IRL until more than a quarter of the way into the book. From there, it's mostly insta-lust... but where's the love? There were also a few extra plot lines that just never seemed fully-developed.

That being said, the sex scenes and physical chemistry between Dani and Jameson more than made up for the so-so romance. This wasn't my first Tracey Livesay and it definitely won't be the last!
Thank you, @netgalley, and @avonbooks, for the eARC and in return, an honest review.

“This. You. Us. That’s all I care about.”

My Thoughts:
This book is an adult fiction, contemporary, and an interracial romance.  It was a quick read with some spiciness.  I think it is more of lust than a love story although there were some cute and thoughtful moments.  This is definitely not a slow burn romance.

Dani aka Duchess reminds me more of Rihanna, a successful singer and business owner.  Dani is a strong female character.  Smart, fearless, and hardworking.  Prince Jameson is relatable in the sense that no one likes to be told what to do or who to love for the sake of the family.  But otherwise, he’s ok.  I think the ‘romance’ was a little fast and short.  It did end on a high note.

The book is described as evoking the real-life romance of Meghan Markle and Prince Harry.  I didn’t want to go there.  I read it as it was described…fiction!  No comparison, speculation, or expectations.
I have never read from Tracey Livesay before, so I’m kind of interested to see how much I would like her newest book, American Royalty. And this book will bring the total opposite of attraction to another level.

Danielle ‘Duchess’ Nelson and Prince Jameson were the total opposite of each other. Like they have nothing in common, except for their denying sexual attraction for each other. Their chemistry is off the charts whenever they keep denying their attraction. They are born into two different worlds, so there is no way for them to collide. But yet, they can’t seem to not fight their attraction for each other.

Their romance together is a bit forbidden since she is a pop star and he is a royal prince. Yet, they are perfect for each other.