Cover Image: Acts of Violet

Acts of Violet

“Oona Out Of Order” was one of my favorite books last year, so I was thrilled to get an advanced look at “Acts Of Violet.” This book is just as creative and entertaining as “Oona,” even though the structure and subject matter are different. I enjoyed this book, but I found the ending a little rushed and confusing. I’m still not entirely sure what happened. Still, I will have no trouble recommending this book to a variety of readers. Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for providing this ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Black smoke coming out from my overcooked brain cells: can you smell it? Nope, only people I have meeting right now who stare at me when I secretly read the last chapter of the book can smell it! ( I always mix pleasure with business and reading is my one of the best pleasures)

I’m a little dizzy, dazzled, confused after this readathon ( I couldn’t stop reading and I’m out of breath and grey cells right now) But this is so obvious to suffer from those side effects after reading second book of “Oona out of order” ! She likes to push the buttons, exploring unseen, taking us sci-fi tours, forcing us to use our brain parts that we never use before!

This book is not only mystery of missing magician or is not about magic! It’s  also not only about parallel universes, astral travel, liminal vortex! It’s about sisterhood, love, resentments, rivalry, regrets, family, self growth, second chances!

This is one of the best mash up of different genres. It starts as a family drama, mystery and speculative sci-fi, fantasy, historical fiction ( true history of magicians) genres involve into equation.

The writing style was fascinating. Instead of Sasha’s POV, we follow up the background stories and characterization of Violet V via Cameron Frank’s podcasts, the letters of Sasha and her husband Gabriel written for Violet, the articles, the website emphasizing Violet’s a big fraud, the emails between Cameron, the studio representative who pushes him to convince Sasha for interview and Cameron’s other correspondences with a mysterious guy who gives important and top secret information about Viola’s disappearance and Quinn’s ( Violet’s niece) emails: she’s digging out to find out what her parents Sasha and Gabriel keeps from her about her eccentric aunt!

Let’s take a quick look to this brilliant and unconventional plot:

Sasha inherited her mother’s hair salon, staying in the same town, living in the same house, keeping the same phone number with the hope of reconnecting with her sister: the famous Violet Volk who vanished in mid-act at the theater ten years ago without a trace.

There are theories that she was running away from dangerous people or she’s involved in illegal activities. Some people still think she planned this all to be immortal. But her sister Sasha keeps secrets about her for years, rejecting to talk about sister even though Cameron Frank-the famous podcaster making special ten episodes for the anniversary of her sister’s disappearance pushes harder to make an interview with her.

Sasha’s daughter Quinn who is about to leave the house for college acts suspicious about her mother’s actions. She’s sure her mother doesn’t tell her everything about their family.

As we read more: we learn so many new things about eccentric Violet Volk: she’s attention seeker. She knows how to impress people. She’s diva. The people think she’s the pure magic. She’s relentless, straightforward, provocative, volatile! She is not ashamed of who she is. But that brings out the biggest question: who is the real Violet Volk? Did she recreate herself? Is she an illusion? Is she big fat liar, a fraud? Or is she a person trying too hard to find her place in the earth?

I loved polar opposites sisters love-hate relationship!! I loved the gripping, mysterious, engaging story telling! Even though my head hurts, the book absolutely earned five fantastic  sci-fi, magical disappearance stars from me!

So many thanks to NetGalley and Flatiron Books for sharing this amazing digital reviewer in exchange my honest opinions.
Truly fantastic piece of fiction. I couldn’t put it down and loved the multimedia aspect. This author is very talented and I loved this. It is very different from her debut, but in a very good way. I highly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys fiction.
I was super hooked to this book for the entire first half.  I loved the concept of a magician who potentially orchestrated her own disappearance in a most dramatic fashion. I loved the epistolary style with the podcast interviews and also the news articles, dotted with her sister's point of view. I had hopes for this book, but then as we got into the second half, I wasn't so sure. The book is about Violet's relationship with her sister Sasha and while that was a great element to it all, I'm still trying to process how I really feel about the read.  The ending had me thinking. So, it's good, but I was hoping for more.
Oona Out of Order is an all time favorite for me so I was so excited to see another release from this author! The audio version of this book was fantastic- I love a narration with a full cast and this story, primarily told through different perspectives on a podcast. was truly a perfect combo.

This story was unique and entertaining though I did mind myself losing a bit of steam during the last quarter of the novel...I think part of this may have been that the whole book had so much anticipation to the question, "What happened to Violet?" so I really hyped up all the "what ifs" as it built up to the ending.

I really enjoyed the complicated family dynamics, mysterious disappearance, and the unique character of a female magician! I did wish I could have heard Violet's perspective as well, but I understand why it was told this way because of the creative format.

The magical realism in this book worked for me and  that some things were left up to interpretation, which also means this would make for a great summer book club discussion!

This was definitely a great choice for an audiobook and I am excited to see what creative story author Margarita Montimore dreams up next!
Acts of Violet - 3.5⭐️s

It is the 10 year anniversary of iconic magician Violet Volk’s disappearance. This year her sister Sasha keeps seeing signs of her everywhere. Is she really back or is this all an illusion too?

This is a fun read. It’s a bit magical realism/bordering on science fiction. I think what this book does well is explore the tumultuous relationship between the sisters. I do wish the magical realism part was explored a bit more fully as the ending felt a bit rushed for me. Overall great character development and I could a be a great audiobook as much of the book is done in interview format.

Thanks NetGalley and Flatiron Books for the opportunity to read this ARC in exchange for my review!
I wanted to love this one so much but it just fell flat for me. I was totally hooked from the beginning and found myself staying awake to read just one more chapter. I love how it acts as both a traditional novel and as a podcast/email/epistolary form. However, there was so much build-up for such a disappointing ending. It felt very underwhelming and like the author didn't know where she would take the book or how it should finish. It almost would have been better to be a mystery (hard not to spoil the ending here). I'd recommend if you needed just a light and quick read, but definitely not top of my list.
3.5 stars rounded up to 4. I really enjoyed this book for the most part. The plot was great, the shattered relationship between the sisters was well-written, but it couldn't quite rise to the level of fantastic for me. I found the relationship between Quinn and her dad to be very forced and awkwardly written, to the point where in their first scene I thought they were brother and sister.

My main complaint is with the podcast chapters. They never once feel conversational or like anything that would work as spoken dialogue/monologues (maybe the audiobook would change my opinion of this, but I don't think so). There are times around the midpoint of the book where it feels like the chapter was written as prose and then crammed into a podcast format, just ascribing all the descriptive sections to the podcast host.

All that aside, I did really enjoy Violet and Sasha as characters, and it was worth forging through the podcast contrivance to learn what was going on with them.
Well well well Margarita Montimore. You did it.
Another IN-CRE-DI-BLE book.

I looooved Oona so of course I was flipping out when I found out she had another book coming out.

And OMG what a ride.

In a little less than 400 pages, we have everything that I love in a book: mystery, magic, sci-fi elements, and multiverse.

The whole story is told in a multimedia format. Podcasts, letters, articles.

Violet Volk is an amazing celeb magician. She can do things that are literally considered impossible. Loved by many and hated by some, her life is a huge sh*t show.

Ten years ago she went missing during one of her acts. Was it planned? Did something happen to her? Where is she?

It’s the tenth year of her disappearance and people still don't know what happened. A vigil is taking place at her town, where she disappeared. A podcaster is digging more and more into Violet’s past. And Violet’s sister Sasha is going through some…changes.

Let me tell you, if you are able to guess the end of this book, I’ll applaud you. I had SO MANY theories and none of them were right. And this is exactly what I want from a book.

Highly recommend it!
This book wove its spell on me (see what I did there, ha).  Told through a multi-media format I greatly enjoyed, this novel tells the story of a missing magician and her sister.  Don't want to give anything away, but the ending wasn't quite what I wanted or expected, but I enjoyed the ride.
Violet Volk was one of the most famous magicians of modern time. Until she disappeared mid act and was never seen again. Her estranged sister wonders where she went but wants nothing to do with the media or upcoming podcast.

This one has such a unique plot and I loved the magic aspect. It was so fun hearing about Violet’s acts and reliving her stage events. I also enjoyed the non-traditional format, with letters, emails, and articles peppered through out the story. The story got a bit magical and different (no spoilers) and I loved that; I wish it dived even a bit deeper into that aspect!

“Keeping Violet’s secrets has been like living with a bomb planted inside me. Tick tock, tick tick. One of these days, it’s going to detonate, and it won’t be pretty.”

Acts of Violet comes out 7/5.

A magician goes missing at the end of a spectacular performance.  Many have theories about her disappearance.   A series explores her life and secrets are revealed.
Unfortunately, this wasn't for me. I think many readers will enjoy this, as Oona Out of Order was very popular. I tried to read Oona multiple times, but never could finish it. Perhaps I just don't jive with Ms. Montimore.
I loved Oona Out of Order so I was excited to see she had a new book out. The way the story was told was so completely different from Oona Out of Order- I thought it was impressive that she could change her style so much. I loved reading this book and looked for every opportunity to pick it back up. I don’t know how I feel about the ending and it’s making me think twice about how much I loved everything else about it. Overall: a really quick and fun read.
I didn't like this as much as the author's other book, Oona Out of Order, but I did enjoy the story & it's well-written with a hint of mystery & intrigue, so I think most fans of the author will enjoy this one as well.