Cover Image: Edgewood

Edgewood

The woods have always called to Emeline Lark, no matter how much she tries to ignore it. But when her grandfather disappears, the forest maybe the only way to get him back. Edgewood is about secrets and the passed we may not truly understand until we have left our hometown and become adults. The worlds building was atmospheric and surrounds the reader. The forest is dual sided and makes the quests Emiline goes through heroic and dangerous. The interaction between Emeline and Hawthorne are tense, causing friction that builds for the final release. Emeline is a flawed protagonist and through out her character arc is built upon.
Emeline Lark, a budding musician about to go on her first tour, has a secret. She ran from home and every time she sings….the forest comes for her….but no one else sees it beside her. One night after a performance, she receives a phone call alerting her of the disappearance of her grandfather. Rumor has it he has been tithed to the wood king. Emeline returns to Edgewood not believing in the fae but determined to find her grandfather. Not only does she discover him at the wood kings court, but she is forced to make choices she can never escape from. The fae are slowly returning to their original forms, the trees are dying, the king is losing his mind, the Vile has cursed everyone, and Emeline discovers more than she ever knew she was missing.

This was a fun fae read!
*received for free from netgalley for honest review* Longer than i thought but overall good. Not something i would reread but i would recommend it.
No matter how far she runs, the forest of Edgewood always comes for Emeline Lark. The scent of damp earth curls into her nose when she sings and moss creeps across the stage. It’s as if the woods of her childhood, shrouded in folklore and tall tales, are trying to reclaim her. But Emeline has no patience for silly superstitions. When her grandfather disappears, leaving only a mysterious orb in his wake, the stories Emeline has always scoffed at suddenly seem less foolish. She enters the forest she has spent years trying to escape, only to have Hawthorne Fell, a handsome and brooding tithe collector, try to dissuade her from searching. Refusing to be deterred, Emeline finds herself drawn to the court of the fabled Wood King himself. She makes a deal―her voice for her grandfather’s freedom.

I loved the creepy, fae world of Edgewood! Kristen Ciccarelli has created a world I think most fans of fae YA will love. I enjoyed the fact that music played such a large role in this book as well. I'll admit that I saw one of the big reveals coming from miles away, but I thought the story was really intriguing overall. I wasn't a huge fan of the romance but I did like the romantic interest as a character. Although this book is marketed as YA, it's more New Adult. Some parts of Edgewood worked better for me than others, but I'm glad I read this one. Thank you to @wednesdaybooks for providing me with an ARC! Edgewood is available now.
I gave this story 4.5 stars. I actually wasn't expecting to like it, I am very hit or miss when it comes to fae stories. But this book. This. damn. book. Sucked me in so hard. I think I read the entire story in about 4 or 5 hours. My husband had to check to make sure I was okay because I hadn't moved from the couch and it had been a while since a book did that to me.

My goodreads review is literally, "Okay, but did you really have to break my heart with that ending, Kristen?!"

So yeah, this book hit me for some reason.
Was not my favourite. Too slow of a progression, uninteresting characters, low stakes, and confusing worldbuilding. I REALLY tried to make myself like this but found the writing extremely remedial and the narrator of the audio book exemplified that.

1.5/5
The cover of this book definitely drew my attention and then the story just pulled me along. Emeline was a great character whose struggles and successes were well developed and easy to relate to. Secondary characters were a little flat, but still enjoyable. The fantasy throughout this story is very intricate and thought out, yet not too complicated. I really enjoyed this tale and look forward to reading more from Ciccarelli soon!
The narration of this audiobook was neutral for me. I wasn’t put off by the voice, yet it wasn’t me favorite either.
They say you shouldn’t judge a book by its cover, but in this case the cover is the one thing that drew me to this book. The cover is absolutely stunning and I love it. Now when it comes to the story, I found the plot and world building to just be okay. It’s not awful, but it also isn’t the best story I’ve read in YA. I found it to be kind of simple and wasn’t fully drawn into the story.

While I did not fall in love with this book, I do think that it is a story others could still enjoy.
This book got me out a reading slump so quick - a sweet YA fantasy that has absolutely lyrical writing. This story follows Emmeline Lark, who grew up by a magical forest. She dreams of nothing but becoming a famous singer, and sets out to make her dreams come true - however, the woods follow her everywhere she goes. When her grandfather goes missing, she is called back deep into the woods to find him, and finds that the woods are now cursed....

This story and audiobook were absolutely fantastic. I enjoyed it so much.
If you're over the age of 30, Edgewood will give you all the feels for YA books you grew up reading. The cover first attracted me to this book, the dress with flowers that look like they could be real. The world-building is incredible and makes me wish there was more magic in the real world, especially in my own garden.

Emiline Clark is connected to nature more than most people. She feels the earth, and when she sings, nature responds. Emiline's beautiful voice is her ticket out of Edgewood; she's ready to grow up and make her own way. But after her grandfather's disappearance, a mysterious orb appears, and she's off on a new adventure. Enter hunk in the forest.

I received an advanced copy of the audiobook from Netgalley in exchange for this review. The narrator was pleasant to listen to, and the pace was enjoyable. Romance, enchantment, nature, and a unique storyline make this a fun fantasy listen.
I absolutely could not get into this book. I feel like the magic was a little convoluted and I just couldn't get into the story. I think others will like it, it just wasn't for me.
4.5/5 Stars

This urban fantasy by author Kristen Ciccarelli was hauntingly beautiful and has become one of my favourite books.

Aspiring musciain Emeline Lark has left her childhood home of Edgewood, full of folklore and tales of the fabled Wood King, to pursue a singing career in the big city of Montreal. Unfortunately, whenever Emeline sings, moss, bugs, and scents of the woods appears reminding her that she can't truly leave her home behind.

When she gets a call letting her know that her grandfather has disappeared, she quickly makes her way to Edgewood to help find him. As much as Emeline tries to deny it, the signs suggests that her grandfather was taken as a tithe to the Wood King.

What follows is an adventure into the woods where creatures of the folk tales that Emiline grew up hearing turn out to be true.

I loved Emeline, I loved the side characters, Edgewood and the Woods themselves. I love the sweet and swoon-worthy, and a little heath breaking,  romance that was in this story. I loved all the twists and turns of this story.

Audio book review: the narrator, Caitlin Kelly, of this book was an excellent choice! Her voice was perfect for the mood of the story. It was easy to tell the different characters from once another from the voices she did. I listened to this book in one day because I couldn't put it down. I listened at a speed of x2 and was still able to understand and follow along.

Thank you to Macmillan Audio, NetGalley and St. Martin’s Press for the audio ARC of this book in exchange for my honest review.
The narration was good, I was able to speed it up to 2.0 and still understand everything and I could tell the different characters apart when the narrator spoke.

This was another great book from Kristen Ciccarelli. I loved the twists and turns throughout the story. Every time you think you have it figured out, you are wrong. I mean Hawthorne, come on, did not see that coming (not really a spoiler but you will understand this statement when it happens).
Emmeline Lark is a musician/singer, who has left her home at the edge of the woods to make it big in the world. She still has memories of the woods, and when she sings, the scent of damp earth curls into her nose and moss creeps across the stage. The woods of her childhood are shrouded in folklore and tall tales, but Emeline has no patience for silly superstitions, that is, until her grandfather disappears. She hurries home to find an orb in his place, letting her know he has been taken for not paying his tithes to Wood King. These are no longer just silly superstitions and she turns to Hawthorne Fell, the Wood King's tithe collector for help. To save her grandfather and herself, she needs to become the King's Minstrel. The problem is that no Minstrel's have pleased the king since his human Song Mage disappeared as well as his music. Emmeline and Hawthorne set out to find the music so she will please the Wood King and get him to set her grandfather free. In her quest, she finds out what is really important to her as well as to right years old wrongs.

Edgewood by Kristen Ciccarelli is a magical urban fantasy that was full of vivid imagery, creative creatures (fiery eyes horses, swamp monsters, dragons and even trees), fascinating magic and a scary curse. The story starts slowly, but once you are about halfway, it picks up and kept me gripped. There are several twists as the story progresses, with one being shocking and the turning point of the story. I loved that the town lore about the Woods proved to be more than just superstition and that it is inescapable, as evidenced by Emeline's attempt to leave. The characters are all interesting, and I enjoyed their backstories, especially Hawthorn's, the tithe collector for the Wood King. The writing was descriptive and I could picture the imagery as it was presented. This is a story about self-reflection and finding out what is really important to each person. Emeline grows a lot during this story dealing with regrets, betrayal, lies, family and friendship. There is a romance story line between Emeline and Hawthorne, an enemies-to-lovers story, but it is not the major storyline. It is touching and shows the power of love in unexpected ways. An enjoyable story that I recommend to those who enjoy a beautiful fantasy. I listened to the audiobook with the narration performed by Caitlin Kelly. I enjoyed her performance with great tone, voices and expression. The audiobook brought it to life for me.
OK this is fun, heavy in fantasy though. Which is not a bad thing. just more than I was expecting for urban fantasy. It’s fun and enthralling. i’m very solid three stars. As always thank you to Not Kelly for sending me this review copy.
I knew this was going to be a special and unique story and I'm so glad it lived up to my expectations. I loved all the magical and musical details that were a big part of the story. But it was so much more than that.

The characters were beautifully written and I enjoyed getting to know them all on a deeper level. There was so much to each of them that blended so well into the story.

The whole story-line was a great adventure sprinkled with magic, love, loss, never giving up, trusting what you feel in your soul, and remembering who you are. It was honestly just so beautiful and I wish I had more.
This was such a refreshing story. So many fantasy books I’ve read lately are not set in modern day. They don’t have an adult heroine as well. Emeline did what she had to for herself to have a real future. Left the ones she loved behind and chased her only talent. But she always comes back when necessary. Willing to bargain her life to save the ones she loves, Emeline had me cheering for her. There are so many other characters that pull this story together as well.

Edgewood is a dark and twisted story that shows the bond of family and friends. And just how far you will go for them. There is a lot going on throughout this story. And there were a few twists I never saw coming. It is a hard to put down novel.

AUDIOBOOK REVIEW

The narrator for Edgewood was well picked. Her voice made the story flow so well and made it very irresistible to stop listening to. It was very easy to tell characters apart which is a big plus when it comes to audiobooks to me. It’s definitely one I recommend.
Emaline is a singer that is trying to make it big. She was raised by her grandfather who is now losing his memory and Emaline was struggling taking care of him and going after her dream so she put him in a home so she wouldn't have to worry about him. One day she gets a call that he went missing from the home and there is no recording on the security cameras of him leaving. Emaline drops everything to try and find him. Edgewood is the name of their hometown and there are a lot of stories about a King that lives in the woods on the edge of Edgewood. That many people have to tithe, or pay something to the King to keep them safe. Emaline found a tithe marker on her grandfather's bed and goes into the woods to try and find him. The story then goes into an extremely complicated storyline of Emaline trying to be the King's new court minstrel as the previous one was murdered by a witch and she is helped by someone she calls a boy who is really the same age as her and it turns out that they actually knew each other most of her life but he asked the king to take away her memories. There's a lot of flaws in this story. One of which is this or isn't this book about Fae? It was never plainly said. I was engrossed in the story because it was so busy but I'm not so sure I really liked it much because of the memory situation. It didn't make sense.
I really liked this book. I think the characters were enjoyable. The way the twists in the story were revealed was enjoyable. I loved the fantasy aspects of the story, the mystery around Edgewood, and the creatures involved. The storyline moved at a reasonable and believable way, with an ending that I believe perfectly suited the story itself and the writing style. Plus, look at that beautiful cover.

All together, this story reminded me of the kind of YA stories that made me fall in love with reading.

As far as the narration goes, I believe that Caitlin Kelly's voice really gave the character life and matched the main character very well. I would be very interested in hearing more narration done by her.
This audiobook was really well done. I loved the imagery and writing style. The author was able to pull the reader right into a mysterious forest and keep them there. I loved the way the fae realm was dealt with and how it was explained. The forest setting was incredibly well done and I really enjoyed that aspect of the story. I think the romance and I liked the characters. Overall it was a good read.