Cover Image: Metropolis

Metropolis

Another fun read by the prolific BA Shapiro. I loved the plot and the characters, and couldn't wait to find out what happens.
An array of people with different backgrounds, different problems, and really nothing in common other than the Metropolis Storage Warehouse. Interesting premise that started out very intriguingly but became rather farfetched.
I was so excited to be offered this book to read and review. I have several of B.A. Shapiro's books on my want to read/TBR, and this one sounded like it was the perfect starting place for me, a book that peeks into the lives of several unusual people to satisfy my inner voyeur, plus a murder mystery, and I will tell you that this book didn't disappoint. All of the characters were finely drawn, but I found myself drawn to Marta and Serge more than the others. I really cared about Marta's legal issues with immigration and was genuinely distressed when the situation appeared bleak. Serge, in my opinion, was the most compelling character. This mentally ill man and his photographic genius somehow managed to slip through the cracks. If I could change anything about this book it would be to broaden his story and his ending. I was left wanting to know so much more about him. Serge's story could be an entire book by itself (hint, hint!).
Overall, this was a very satisfying reading experience and I many thanks to NetGalley for the opportunity.
Metropolis is a really unique approach to a suspense filled novel.  I have enjoyed B.A. Shapiro's previous novels that typically have some connection to the art world, and Metropolis is very different yet also gives a nod to the photography art world.

All the characters are connected in some way through the storage facility known as Metropolis.  The reader knows from the beginning that something has occurred to cause the storage facility to close, with some of the tenants leaving everything in their units behind.  As each chapter unfolds, we learn more about the various tenants in the building, why they were renting space there and what their connection is to each other.  I really enjoyed the diverse cast of characters and how they were each so well developed and unique.  You could find some relatable quality to almost everyone and were drawn into their stories.  I felt the story was well paced and intriguing, unlike anything I've read.

Metropolis would make an interesting book club discussion book and also would be an excellent summer beach read.  I received this book courtesy of the publisher through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
LOVED.  This one is billed kind of as a thriller, kind of as a mystery, but is really more of a character study on people and their lives surrounding this storage building.  I really loved most of these characters and enjoyed seeing how it all came together in the end.  Some really nice representation too.
This is the third BA Shapiro book I have read.  While I loved the Art Forger, I thought this was just okay.  While I loved the premise and setting of the story, I couldn't really connect with any of the characters and I found it a bit too slow moving for me.  Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for the advanced copy.
Thankx to Netgalley and the publishers for giving me the opportunity to read this book.

I found the premise of this book interesting.  When I began reading, I found myself mesmerized.   The characters were so compelling, I couldn't wait to see what would occur next.  Their stories entwined seamlessly.

I highly recommend this novel.
Thanks to NetGalley and Algonquin for the ARC in exchange for an honest review.
I was fascinated by this story set in Cambridge, MA, which follows six people whose lives intersect at the Metropolis Storage Warehouse. The book begins with someone falling down the warehouse's elevator shaft, and then goes back to recount the  months prior to the accident - or was it an accident?
The great characters and intriguing suspense had me enthralled. As a Boston area resident, I particularly loved the Boston and Cambridge references - Serge, a photographer living/developing pictures in his storage unit, washes dishes at Brick and Mortar, which is the best cocktail bar in Cambridge, in my opinion. Marta, finishing her dissertation at Tufts, runs the Esplanade whenever the weather cooperates while she avoids ICE. Rose commutes from Revere on the blue line, frustrated it doesn't connect directly to the red line. Liddy, a middle aged upper class mother, rents a storage unit which she visits often, storing her children's furniture that her husband wanted to trash when they moved to a 50th floor condo at Millennium Tower from their house in Weston. Jason, a lawyer, uses his storage area as his office (and to avoid his family in JP). Zach owns the building, but he isn't aware of much that happens there. There is a particular building near MIT where I visualized this story playing out.
While not fast paced, this character drama was one I could set down for a few weeks and pick right back up remembering everything that had happened. I recommend it, especially if you know the Boston/Cambridge area!
I really didn't care for this. I had no emotional connection with any of the characters.

Six people from different backgrounds, all with secrets. Their connection? The Metropolis Storage Warehouse in Cambridge, Massachusetts. They privately live and work in the storage facility. But that privacy is shattered when someone falls down an elevator shaft in the facility. Shapiro expertly develops each character’s storyline and slowly weaves them together.
4.5 rounded up

If you loved Anxious People, this book is for you. A tale of different tenants inside Metropolis Storage in Boston, whose lives all interconnect. This is my first time reading a book by this author and I enjoyed her writing style. It takes a massive amount of talent to write a book with an ensemble cast (coming up with that many characters and then fitting them all together in nuanced ways must be extremely challenging) and it was done flawlessly. The methodical pace of the book worked because as soon as the plot really started to take shape, the intensity did as well. This is a book you have to be patient with, but all psychological suspense novels should be written this way. If you're more a fan of a shocking twist at the end of every chapter, then this is not your book.

Many thanks to Algonquin Books for the gifted copy in exchange for an honest review.

Review Date: 06/05/2022
Publication Date: 05/17/2022
The cover and premise of this book were intriguing. The novel takes place in a storage unit facility where diverse characters come together in surprising ways. I would recommend this book for those who enjoy novels with interesting characters and not a lot of tension. Thanks to NetGalley for the ARC!
Originally I requested this by accident.  I thought I was requesting a book by B. A. Paris.  In the past I read a book by Shapiro and was not really impressed so I was bummed I couldn't cancel this request at the time.  But I decided to give it a try.  I found it slow moving and rather boring.  Each chapter was a different character and their internal thoughts.  I made it about half way through before deciding it was not for me and I did not want to finish it.
A thank you to Netgalley for sharing the ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Read this a while ago and forgot to review it, so can't fairly give it what I'd call an accurate review. I know that I liked the premise of the book and found it intriguing, the book less so. I don't know if it was the narrative style, narrative voice, and/or large cast of characters, but while I wasn't exactly bored, neither was I particularly engaged
Another ‘I binged while down with COVID read’

I didn’t think I could be so pulled into the lives of five characters from a storage building, but here I am.

A quick mystery that takes surrounds one storage building with ripping affects for the five central characters.

This is my first B.A Shapiro and trust me - I’ll be looking into her backlist.

I was a bit skeptic of how much a book surrounding a few people from one building could reel me in after being so disappointed by the multiple people in one place trope in Anxious People, but this one delivered.

The timeline movement made sense in this one as well as the plot around each character. A few of the characters were amazing and some I really wanted to smack across the head. I needed more time with Serge, what a doll 🥹.
From my blog: Always With a Book

When I saw that B.A. Shapiro had a new book coming out, I jumped at the opportunity to read it. I’ve really enjoyed her books in the past, though I have to say, this latest one is a bit of a departure from her typical historical fiction novels but still quite good.

Set almost entirely in a storage unit facility, this character-driven novel really takes you by surprise by just how much it tackles. I was not expecting the depth the book has and how much I came to care about this group of characters that at first seems to have no connection, yet end up intersecting in such interesting ways. Having the book told from multiple points of view really allows for the intimate connection and while it might be off-putting to some, I found that each character is so richly drawn that I had no issues keeping track of who was who.

I will say this is not a fast-paced book at all, so if you are looking for one that moves quickly, this is definitely not for you. It starts with the owner of the storage unit selling off the contents of the units – and all I could think of was that show Storage Wars, which this book is definitely not about! But as each unit is sold, we see how the units were used and start to learn about each of the owners.

The further I got into this book, the harder it became to put down because I really started to become quite invested in each of the characters’ lives, plus I was so curious as to how everything would come together. Why did all these characters have units at this storage place and how were they connected? There is an underlying mystery that also hooks you and the suspense slowly builds, with some pretty good twists along the way.

This book really ended up being so much more than I thought it would be and as I mentioned it does tackles some pretty big issues – immigration, domestic violence, poverty, inequality, politics and mental illness – and it does so in such a brilliant and imaginative way. I definitely recommend picking this one up…it really is quite an original story and I even think it would make a great book club pick.
The characters have a variety of backgrounds: they are different races; they practice different religions; they're young and they're not so young; they are rich, poor, and somewhere in the middle. As they dip I and out of one another's lives, fight circumstances that are within and also beyond their control, and try to discover the details of the accident, Shapiro both dismantles the myth of the American dream and builds tension to an exciting climax.

My thoughts: I love the premise of this thriller, a giant warehouse of storage units and all the different people involved with them. It totally appeals to the inner voyeur who wants to see people's collections. The characters are complex and interesting and mostly morally gray. I also really liked the photography connection. This was a fast read with a very satisfying ending, and I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys psychological suspense!
Thanks to NetGalley for the ARC of this book. I loved the premise - all the stories playing out within the walls of the storage unit, and how they came together - but it felt entirely too long and drawn out. I wasn't caught up at first, and it took me a while to get into the story. Once I did, I wanted to finish to find out what happened, and was happy to feel resolved in all the storylines by the end.
Great tale of human nature and the paths that humans take to survive. I wouldn't call this much of a mystery as it only was a small portion of the novel, although a catalyst for the rising action.
I do think that there were a few too many characters that the author wanted to explore, which in turn left some not as developed. For instance, we need more about Serge. Why was Rose so complacent with Vince?

The writing was beautiful, almost poetic without being overly so.

One nuance I found is her descriptions of people of color. They seemed a little forced and even a bit offensive. For example, one character who was not even necessary to the story was described as having "skin so black he's almost blue". Why was such a description necessary for needless character. I recommend a sensitivity reader.
I requested this as background reading for a First Impressions Program we are currently running on BookBrowse booked by Lauren Mosely which includes gathering reviews from carefully selected BookBrowse members and then promoting the book across BookBrowse and newsletters.

Our reviewers rated Metropolis an average of 4.3-stars. See link
This book is so good. I read it right after finishing a terrible book and so, I needed a reminder of what good writing was like. Ms. Shapiro never lets me down there. The character sketches done here are spectacular. I feel like I know everyone, even the supporting cast. She worked in her commentary on Art, as she normally does, so that was nice. My only real criticism was that almost everyone gets a happy ending except for the person who suffers from mental illness. One could argue there is a commentary on this in here, but the fact that we don't end on that character or on Diamond, his only real friend, leads me to believe that this part was intentionally buried for the sake of an all's well that ends well situation.