Cover Image: The Boardwalk Bookshop

The Boardwalk Bookshop

Susan Mallery has written another bestseller!!!!!!!!!!!  Her style of writing is unique & I consider her one of the queens of romance.
I loved her book The Vineyard at Painted Moon and was glad this is the Brenda Novak book for June. I like most books that have Bookshop or Library in the title. I loved this book about female friendship, family relationships and was glad to see a good therapist!

Three strangers meet at a boardwalk rental space and not having the money to rent it independently, they decide to go in together. Bree owns a bookshop that she relocated there, that she inherited from her deceased husband. Mikki has been divorced three years, with grown children and a new desire to have her own gift shop; and Ashley is young, in love, and has a muffin bakery. Friday nights, they sit on the beach with a bottle of champagne from Ladies Know Wine reviews and discussed the week.

“This moment, this laughter, this friendship. It was unexpected, but she liked it. These women had, in a short period of time, become important to her. Their weekly ritual grounded her and made her feel she belonged.” P153

In the heaviness of the world, it’s nice to read a book of three women, who are very different, who can become like family to each other. I even had a few tears in my eyes at the end (and I’m not a crier.)

I loved Bree and her bookstore that didn’t carry literary fiction, because her parents are famous literary writers who didn’t have time for her.

“You’re a bookstore owner who loves books but hates writers?” P74
I've read a few books by Susan Mallery and unfortunately I have to see this was my least favourite. I just didn't connect with the characters and had a hard time getting into the story. I found there to be too many characters and they all just came across as either unlikeable or too good to be true. That being said I do enjoy Mallery's books and this won't be the last one I read.
This is the third book I’ve read by the author and it’s delightful! She understands female friendships and always makes me feel like I’m visiting with my girlfriends! An opportunity arises for Bree, Mikki, and Ashley to own a piece of The Boardwalk Bookshop - part bookstore, bakery, and gift shop! But along with this partnership comes past relationships they’re each learning from & through this they begin to form a strong bond! If you’re looking for a book to bring to the beach or on vacay than this is a wonderful addition to your summer reads! Thank you to Harlequin Trade Publishing for a gifted copy.
I found "The Boardwalk Bookshop" to be a powerful story of women struggling with their lives and relationships. Each is at a different place in their life, yet each has a certain strength about them that allows them to appear successful outwardly, while still feeling at odds inwardly.

As they learn to trust each other and rely on one another's insight and wisdom, they find answers to their own burning questions about what they want for themselves and their futures.

The issues they wrestle with are similar to ones I've heard from friends and family at various stages in my life, so there is a realism to this book. Yet at the same time, hope permeates the story as well.

I truly enjoyed meeting these women and found myself cheering for them as they overcame the blindspots and obstacles in their lives.

Thank you Susan Mallery, Harlequin Trade Publishing and NetGalley for an advance review copy.
A great friendship of friends who have to learn to lean on each other to survive. I found it refreshing, healing and another win for the author. I loved that I got three stories! Book provided by NetGalley.
A beautifully relatable story of finding a new meaning in life, a new path to journey with and new friends along the way. As three women come together to open a bookstore, gift shop, and cafe that brings them closer together. Their love lives are all unfolding in different directions. How will they all change and grow into these new versions of themselves.
Thank you NetGalley for the ARC in exchange for a fair and honest review.

Bookstore setting - perseverance - women finding their worth. These are s few of my favorite things!

Book was super cute. A fun beachy read that gives you all the feels!

Definitely pick it up.
Bree, Mikki, and Ashely are virtual strangers who end up renting a retail space to do their own shops to split the costs. The friendship that started from there would end up just what they need. All them are at different point of their lives and its amazing to see what becomes of that friendship.

I just really loved this book its the perfect summer beach read. I loved seeing the friendship and support each of those women had for eachother. I mean Bree had some cold hearted parents which lead to her locking her heart from people like her parents -authors- and figures she finds the right guy but she just cant get over this history she has with author parents and just not trusting authors in general. Mikki and her ex husband have a great and easy relationship but now she's looking to get back into the dating pool she meets a great guy but her relationship with her ex seems a bit iffy now falling into old habits. Ashely has a guy she wants to marry but he's refuses he wants the perks of a marriage without the legal part and Ashely doesn't think she can get over that.

While I had a hard time getting used to the differences between the characters eventually I was able to catch up and really enjoy and appreciate each character. I loved seeing how the women where just what eachother needed in hard times. They all were going through stuff with their personal lives and were going to need a push in the right direction and figure out if cutting ties with certain situations really is the right choice. I loved seeing the ups and downs and eventually how everything settled in the end. Overall great book I really enjoyed it.
Lighthearted story perfect for summer days and beaches. Good characters and plot points, interesting dialogue. Typical of the author, perfect for fans.
This was a feel-good beach read about three middle aged women who work together at a bookstore/giftshop/bakery and spend the year taking a second chance at love. Each of the characters has their own unique challenges and baggage to overcome but I loved how three dimensional they were and how relatable their problems felt. Full of some steamy open door scenes, this was a great summer read perfect for fans of Sarah Morgan or Debbie Macomber. Much thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for my advance review copy!
Bree Larton, Mikki Bartholomew and Ashley Burton were strangers, all wanting to open a business in the same building. Meeting over a coffee, they came up with a solution - they would share the space as their businesses would compliment each other. The Boardwalk Bookshop made up of Driftaway Books, The Gift Shop and Muffins to the Max, was born, located on the beach in LA. It also begins a beautiful friendship. If only they could sort out their personal lives as well. Bree is adamant that she is not going to get hurt again. Between her parents and deceased husband, she has never been truly loved. Mikki is divorced and content with her life. She and her ex are friends, happily co-parenting and her mother-in-law even works with her, but what happens when a new man begins to show interest? Ashely is happily in love, but it seems he has no intention of marrying her. Can she stay with him without marriage, or should she move on? Three women, three friends, three different problems. Can they help each other find happiness?

Two of the things I love about Susan Mallery's books are the relationships and the character development. I loved seeing how the friends supported each other. Even the secondary characters played important roles in the lives of one or more of the main characters. The development of their personalities and character was excellent. It was revealed throughout the book letting us gradually get to know them, just like in real life. These were three ladies I would love to be friends with, have a coffee with and share conversations with. The men in their lives, relatives and romantic interests were also interesting characters, with their own past situations that effected their decisions. I enjoy seeing everyday, relatable situations that are central to the story. They are problems that anyone could encounter which immerses me in their story. There were times in this story where I laughed, got angry, felt sad and also was filled with happiness, all what I have come to expect when reading a Susan Mallery story.
This is a perfect beach read. The love stories don't turn out exactly how you'd expect. Once you pick up this book you must know how everyone's story plays out.
Susan Mallory’s newest novel, The Boardwalk Bookshop, pulls you right in with the weekly Friday sunset beach parties and champagne. The three protagonists, Bree, Ashley and Mikki share store space to provide customers with a bookstore, bakery and gift shop. Brought together by their businesses, these three become fast friends by sharing their personal and romantic lives with each other.

The strong female characters and their friendship drew me into this book from the beginning. Susan Mallory is so good at painting the setting with her words and creating believable characters. The book’s hopeful tone provide a great recommendation for someone looking for an escape read making it perfect for summer reading while at the beach.

Thank you to NetGalley and Harlequin Trade for the opportunity to review this book before its release.
Those Friday night beach parties with champagne had me wanting to be there. I so loved the friendships between these 3!
In depth relationship of three women who come together as business owners. There is Bree who owns the bookstore, Ashley, the baker of muffins and Mikki who owns the gift shop. These three are learning how to share space, deal with love, and understanding their desires. A lush tale of relationships, love, and friends.
Susan Mallery delves deeply into personal emotions and the way people handle them.
Bree, Mikki, and Ashley share a beachfront retail space that is part bookstore, part gift shop, and part bakery. Their businesses may be thriving but their personal lives are another story. Bree is healing from a lifetime of personal trauma when Ashley's brother turns her world upside down. Never before has someone been able to see her true self through the walls that she spent decades building around herself...and it is absolutely terrifying. Meanwhile, while Ashley is fearing for both her brother & Bree's hearts, she discovers the love of her life has no intention of marrying her. Mikki is also bitten by the love-bug, finally putting herself back into the dating game, three years after her divorce.

When I first discovered this book, I basically forced myself to speed read the book I was in the middle of because I absolutely could not wait to start this one. I haven't been one for chick-lit as a of late, but it's summer AND it has the word bookshop in the title...I mean, come on. Of course it is right up my alley! Also, I am itching to go back to the beach already so there's that. Anyway, I read this in one sitting. I know authors hate that because it takes them so long to write and we devour it instantly. But I couldn't stop reading it and now I am sad it is over.

This book is for anyone who loved the show Mistresses (or Desperate Housewives, though, significantly less desperate). Bree is an independent woman who is confident and comfortable with her sexuality. Ashley is fearless; changing her entire career path and continually putting herself out there. Mikki is learning to love herself and rediscover her passion (for those other than Earl, her vibrator). I am going to come right out and say it -- Bree was my favorite character. **SPOILER ALERT** (sort of) I love her strength but more than that, I loved when she discovered her strength was her weakness and WENT TO THERAPY. The characters in the book have so much zest for life, even when they don't think they do. They are willing to do anything; to risk it all. Realistic or not, I loved it.
Everything about this book is good.  The three main characters each had a different and unique story, and I loved watching them grow and change.  The friendships and relationships were real, and though unlikely, beautiful to watch.  The hopeful tone of the book was present throughout, no matter how things looked.

If you haven't read it yet, you should today.  Seriously.
The Boardwalk Bookshop – The title alone invites a visit. Bree, the owner, shares space with Ashley’s Mad About Muffins shop and Mizzi’s The Gift Shop. Their first Friday evening in business at the new space, they share a bottle of champagne on the beach, and it becomes a Friday evening tradition. The three become the fiercest of friends.

Grown-up issues. Relationships that should work, don’t necessarily work. Bree’s parents are famous authors, who have been and are quite removed from her life. Bree has never felt that she could ever love and be in a relationship. And then, there’s Ashley’s brother, Harding, a popular author, who agreed to do a book signing at The Boardwalk Bookshop. Ashley is in love and wants to marry her boyfriend Seth, but he doesn’t have the same viewpoint on their relationship. Mizzi is divorced and is friends with her ex-husband. After three years, she starts dating again. Her ex-husband’s profession of love throws an unexpected wrench in the works. Through it all, Bree, Ashley and Mizzi fight to support and encourage each other.

I really enjoyed reading The Boardwalk Bookshop and would love another book featuring Bree, Ashley and Mizzi.
I so wanted to love this book as I feel I'm personally slighting the author when I say it just wasn't my cup of tea. I am not connecting with the characters at all and am finding the storyline a little flat and dragged a little - all this to say I'm terribly disappointed that it's not a must recommend this summer. I don't even want to post this review because traditionally, I love the author's works and consider her to be one of my go-tos for a lighthearted escape. Perhaps this was merely a case of wrong book at the wrong time, but this wasn't the beachy, summery read I had hoped for and something just felt "off" about it.