Cover Image: The Boardwalk Bookshop

The Boardwalk Bookshop

The Boardwalk Bookshop by Susan Mallery is a new contemporary romance novel. The story in The Boardwalk Bookshop is one that is told by changing the point of view between the characters to give all sides of the story.

Bree, Mikki and Ashley were strangers just a few short months back but all three women now count themselves as friends. The three women had all had their eye on what they just new would be the perfect retail space for their various businesses but the size and price was just to much for any one of them.

Bree, Mikki and Ashley got together after they found that they all had interest in starting up in the same place and decided they would combine efforts and all use the same space. This worked well for all of them and now they have turned to each other to lean on in their personal lives too. Bree needs to learn to not protect herself so closely, Mikki just how to move on after her divorce and Ashley opens herself up to new ideas and takes a deeper look at her relationship.

The Boardwalk Bookshop by Susan Mallery is one of those novels that once I picked it up and began to read it easily pulled me into the story and didn’t want to let go. I loved getting to know all three of the women involved and going deeper into their lives as they took their journeys and discovered themselves. Each situation is completely different and having the new friendships helped guide them all along and I was all for it with each turn of the page. Not being the first book I’ve read from Susan Mallery I knew I enjoyed her writing but with each read I finish I always just look forward to more.

I received an advance copy from the publisher via NetGalley.
The Boardwalk Bookshop, an entirely appealing title by Susan Mallery, features three new friends and co-business owners who live and work in a small, scenic town on the California coast. The Boardwalk Bookshop is one part of the three businesses sharing this prime retail space: a bookshop, gift shop and bakery. The three women join forces to afford the high rent space, and not only did they share a business, but their lives as well.

The Boardwalk Bookshop is the story of friendship, relationship struggles and life issues, and it is filled with humor, drama, and a bit of romance. It was more graphic and sex-focused than I’d prefer in a story, but that does follow Susan Mallery’s style. This is a rather character-driven story, an easy-read, and a good choice for your summer reading list.
Susan Mallery is at the top of her game with her latest novel. Ashley, Bree, and Mikki are delightful characters that show the reader life--joy, pain, sadness, and more! I highly recommend this to readers of Mallery and anyone who enjoys a great friendship (with some romance mixed in) story.
Three strangers, Bree, Mikki and Ashley all show up to view a space for rent right on the ocean. They decide to all lease the space together and open a bookstore, gift shop and bakery all in one location.

Bree has hardened her heart after growing up with famous, yet distant parents and a marriage gone wrong. She is happy running her bookstore and does not need a relationship to fulfill her life. That is until she meets Ashley’s brother who is relentless in pursuing her.

Mikki is divorced and is quite content with her life owning a gift shop and being a mother to her two children. She has a great relationship with her ex-husband, but when she meets a new man, things start to get complicated.

Ashley loves owning her bakery and is happily in love with her long-term boyfriend. Any day now he is sure to propose, and she can then start living the life she has always dreamed of. When Ashley finds out that this may never happen, her relationship is put to the test.

These three-woman become close friends as they each embark on their own journeys of self discovery. Can they support each other through life’s difficult choices?

Susan Mallery brings us a novel with real life situations and choices that impact each woman’s future. I loved the way each character develops throughout the story and the diversity of each woman. The supporting characters enhanced the plot and kept me guessing what would happen with each storyline. As the women were new friends, we also get to see their relationship grow more on each page as they support each other. I enjoyed the story and would like to thank Harlequin for the book, which I read and reviewed voluntarily.
I couldn't put Boardwalk Bookshop down! The book followed three women as businesswomen, friends, and the roller coaster of their love lives.  Each woman is unique and together they come together to support one another to become the best version of themselves.
Thank you, NetGalley, for an advanced copy of this book!
The complexities of love and friendship are beautifully interwoven! THE BOARDWALK BOOKSHOP brings together three women and their separate businesses into one beachfront store in the heart of California and shines a light on the growth of a friendship that supports each of them as life brings them love, turmoil and happily ever afters. The characters are intriguing, each of their lives bring a totally different aspect of love to the forefront and the strength of their friendship grows to support them when they need it most.

I highly recommend this story to anyone who enjoys drama, friendship and happy endings.
Another great book by Susan Mallery. 3 women show up to check out the Boardwalk shop to rent and realize it's big enough for the three of them to share the retail space. Working together they develop into good friends and great coworkers.  Really good book I really enjoyed it.

The way these three business partners come together and their friendship blossoms is really the most beautiful thing about this story. Bree, Mikki, and Ashley are three very different women. The are different ages, have wildly different upbringings, and seem to be in very different places in their lives. But they’re more alike than meets the eye, and that all seeps out as this story goes along.

Each of these FMCs have a romantic storyline as well as the story of friendship. Bree keeps herself at a distance from everyone, especially when it comes to romance. She’s the use them and lose them type and doesn’t ever let anyone get too deep into her reasons behind that…until she does. She has a lot to overcome to find happiness. Mikki is divorced and, after 3 years, finally feels ready to start dating again. But is there still something between her and her ex-husband that is worth exploring? And Ashley is in a wonderful and loving relationship. New, young love is so exciting. That is, until she realizes what she wants and needs is drastically different from what her boyfriend sees for their future.

Once again, this author expertly weaves all of these tales together in a seamless way. All of the characters, from the FMCs to the in-laws to the past conquests are given their own voice instead of blending too far into the background so as to be unnecessary. Instead, I found myself looking forward to what they had to say in each situation.

I appreciate that each character looked within to find their happiness before making final decisions. Not that there weren’t bumps along the way where some of them tried to make others happy. In the end, they all realized they had to be comfortable with themselves and their decisions before pulling others into their sphere.
Bree, Mikki and Ashley made a combined business decision that paid in dividends none of them expected.  Not only are their individual businesses (bookstore, gift shop and bakery) thriving as they share the same space, but a lifelong friendship develops and blooms. In fact, the women also find more in their lives that they did not expect.

Their weekly get-together over champagne solidifies their bond week after week. But, during this time each woman finds herself involved in romantic entanglements. However, the chance for happily ever after for each of them seems highly doubtful.

For Bree, taking a chance with Ashley's brother is a risk, as she worries if things do not work out, will her friendship with Ashley be soured. For Ashley, she is in love with her partner and the two live together. But, when he tells her that he never plans on marriage, Ashley begins to doubt the strength of his love. Meanwhile, Mikki is enjoying a "happy divorce". She and her ex co-parent well, enjoy other activities together, and the question comes up as to whether or not they can give it another go. However, with a new man in her life, Mikki might be forced to view long-range plans for her life.

What a wonderful book about friendship and the power of love between strong women who only want the best for each other. I enjoyed each "love story" as it developed and truly felt for each of the women as they explored the possibility of love and a happy future. For a book that will give all the feels, The Boardwalk Bookshop definitely checks all the boxes.

Many thanks to MIRA and to NetGalley for this ARC for review. This is my honest opinion.

Please also enjoy my YouTube video review - https://youtu.be/JpubfnFC_9U
“𝙄 𝙩𝙝𝙤𝙪𝙜𝙝𝙩 𝙩𝙝𝙚𝙧𝙚’𝙙 𝙗𝙚 𝙢𝙤𝙧𝙚 𝙨𝙚𝙭.”

With an opening line like that, Susan Mallery had my attention! I love books about bookshops, especially ones set in a beautiful California coastal town, and 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐁𝐨𝐚𝐫𝐝𝐰𝐚𝐥𝐤 𝐁𝐨𝐨𝐤𝐬𝐡𝐨𝐩 offers a heartwarming story about the bonds of friendship.

Bree, Ashley, and Mikki are all at various stages of life. But they are brought together when they enter into a business deal. Bree has her bookshop, Ashley runs a bakery, and Mikki owns a gift shop, and they agree to run them out of the same boardwalk storefront.

The three women begin not only a business partnership but a trusted friendship. We walk alongside them as they share their love lives, work, fun, and heartbreak. I loved that these women were of different ages, at different places in their lives, yet they became true, supportive friends. This is a perfect summertime read!

And just for the record, there is a bit of sex. 😉

Thank you @_mira_books_  @htpbooks @harpercollins for a spot on tour and a gifted ebook.
Reviewed in the United States on May 31, 2022
I finished this book in a day. I could not put it down. My only complaint is that it wasn’t longer. I love the way Susan writes characters and tells their stories.
I love these characters.   The women who own The Boardwalk Bookshop are real, they have problems, they struggle through life, but mostly they have each other.   They support, love, and respect each other even when things are not going well.  Bree, Mikki, and Ashley came to own the shop without being friends first and now are friends more than co-owners of the same store.   Everyone should have friends like these three.

Susan Mallery did a great job of making her characters relatable.  Their issues were real people's issues and their reactions were real people's reactions.  I could relate on some level to each character.   They all deserved love but did not know how to get there or if they deserved it.   Ashley knew what she wanted and not being willing to settle for less was my favorite.  My heart hurt for her, but I was proud of how she handled her life and made the decisions she did.  Bree, dang her parents are not good parents.  I wanted her to find out how to love, she deserved it so much.  Mikki, oh girl… your relationship with your ex was admirable but I was glad to see her ready to move on.

The Boardwalk Bookshop is classic Susan Mallery.   Three amazing women, all with their own struggles find their way to happiness together.
THE BOARDWALK BOOKSHOP by Susan Malley is a standalone women’s fiction that immediately had me thoroughly engrossed in three very different women’s lives as they come together in their business and personal lives.

Three women show up to check out a beach front business property on the California coast. While none can afford or use the entire space individually, they decide to come together and lease the property as the Boardwalk Bookshop. Bree runs the bookstore, Mikki runs the gift shop and Ashley runs the bakery. Every Friday they toast with champagne on the beach as their businesses thrive, their friendship grows, but their personal lives are in turmoil.

This is a wonderful story with three successful and intelligent businesswomen at different stages in their personal lives and I found all their stories believable. There is a roller-coaster ride of emotions with each. Bree was the toughest and yet the most damaged by her past. Mikki was very much like some personal friends and her decisions were very relatable. Ashley was an amazing character who gave so much, and I was very glad when she got her HEA. I fell in love with each of these main characters and even though they all could stand on their own, the men who eventually come into their lives and make them happy left me feeling very satisfied. The secondary characters were fully drawn, entertaining and at times quirky. Once again, Ms. Mallery pulled me into others’ lives effortlessly.

I recommend this women’s fiction story of three engaging women.
Three women decide to lease a building on the California boardwalk. They each have their own business, but they work together. Bree has a bookshop, Mikki has a giftshop and Ashley has a bakery. As the reader gets to know each of the women and their relationships with each other and their personal lives. This is a great beach read that keeps your attention until the end. It is a heartwarming story of friendship, love and relationships.
The Boardwalk Bookshop is a wonderful read centered around women’s friendship. They help each other deal with life challenges and are a great support system. The strong characters are written so you know them. I enjoyed watching the friendship grow and develop throughout the book.
Another wonderful read

I thoroughly enjoyed this latest book from Susan Mallery. I love her very complex but real characters and their challenges.
Ashley, Bree and Mikki are basically as different as can be, which is probably what makes this story work. I love that none of them have easy stories, they all have issues, something unusual in summer beach reads.

You have a divorced mom of adult kids who is trying to start over. A child of neglectful parents, famous authors, who runs a bookstore. And finally, someone who seems to be in a stable relationship, then the foundation starts to crumble.

I love that their friendship starts with their businesses, something else we don’t also see often. Seriously, we need more women running businesses and coming together to make them work. You see their work relationship grow and strengthen, which is so important, especially now.

The individual stories work well, together as one large story this shines.
While I generally enjoy reading Susan Mallery’s books, I was not a fan of this one.  I found it difficult to engage with the three main characters who are friends and in business together.   Bree, Mikki and Ashley are making a success of their business, but are less successful in their private lives.
Three ladies decide to share a large beachfront property for their bookshop/bakery/gift shop. They are very different personalities but they become good friends who support each other through the many ups and downs in their lives.
I received an advanced reader copy from Netgalley. Loving bookstores and the beach, this book was calling to me. The relationships of each character are explored as time goes by.  Expectations  of love, dating, and marriage affect how the three main characters react to situations. Mikki comes off as the mother figure, even though she and Bree are nearly the same age. Ashley appears to be more idealistic. Her thoughts on marriage affect her decisions. Family relationships and self esteem become determining factors in Bree letting herself love and be loved. The men are all so different from each other, Duane, Perry, Seth, Dave, Harding, Oscar, Lewis, and Sad Guy. Each woman has her own storyline, however I felt like Bree’s was the strongest. There is so much happening that you will be turning the pages to see what happens next.  Great summer read! Enjoy!