Cover Image: The Boardwalk Bookshop

The Boardwalk Bookshop

Three women looking for a new spot for their small businesses join forces to lease a large beach front building housing a bookstore, gift shop, and bakery. While business is booming, their personal lives are a wreck. Bree, Ashley, and Mikki all have relationship issues but commit to a weekly Friday night beach get together to support each other.

The story covers commitment, exes, families and disabilities as well as business issues. As always, Susan Mallery tells a good story that hooks the reader right away. There are discussion questions and recipes for book groups.

Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for an early copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Susan Mallery never disappoints! If you are a SM fan, you already know this. If you haven't read one of Susan's books, you are about to become a fan for life. Susan's characters in The Boardwalk Bookshop are unique, and not the likeliest of friends. Until they need to enlarge their business spaces, and all show up, at the same time, to look at a new space. A space too large for any of them individually, so they decide to rent the space together and that's when a new friendship blossoms. Each woman is challenged by their personal relationships, and they find a way to support each other to grow in ways they never imagined. Happy reading!
Three friends. Love relationships with undeniably problems and unknown solutions. Bree, Miki, and Ashley advise, console, and tackle the problems as their friendship grows and thrives. A very engaging and captivating novel about the different sides of love and relationships.
Mallery seems to have success with her recipe; 3 women, strangers to each other, form a bond and discuss their less than perfect marriages. It’s repeated in this book, too, but she’s thrown in a rather enormous helping of sex and discussions surrounding it. I felt like I was viewing an odd section of life in a fishbowl. Are there truly people out there who act like this and enjoy reading about it?! It was all too petty and dramatic for me. I felt it overshadowed Mallory’s intent to explore friendship, sisterhood and the transformative power of love.

I was pulled in by the gorgeous cover and the idea of a bookshop pulling people together. The story had so much potential; a shared retail space with a gift shop and a bakery. I could see myself frequenting it often. I could even trudge through the endless arguments and discussions about their marriage problems, but I was repulsed with putting that alongside bedroom escapades and discussions of women naming their vibrators! Come on! Ugh.

Please check out other reviews as this author seems to have a following of 5-star reviewers. I wish someone had warned me prior to opening this book.

I was gifted this advance copy by Susan Mallery, Harlequin Trade Publishing, MIRA, and NetGalley and was under no obligation to provide a review.
While I always enjoy Susan Mallery books, "The Boardwalk Bookshop" is one that I related to on several levels, especially the character who wanted to be married--that same thing happened to me many years ago and Mallery's excellent writing and her ability to tap into the deep emotions surrounding feeling such a rejection brought it all back. Highly recommended.
3 strangers meet, rent a store and become friends. Now they are intertwined in each other's lives. for some that is not easy, but sometimes family isn't easy.
This is the story about 3 women, Bree, Ashley and. Mikki, who rent out a store front. Each has their own business, a bookstore, bakery and a gift shop.  All 3 face challenges in their romantic relationships.  This book shows their journeys  to find happiness.  It is a feel good story about friendship and love.  Thank you to net galley for an advanced readers copy.
Susan Mallery never fails to deliver an engaging contemporary story that focuses on romance and friendship. In this book, she tells the stories of three women who first meet as small business owners, individually looking for new retail space to expand. They find the perfect retail space right on the beach in Southern California, but none of them can afford it. In a genius move, they decide to go in on it together, with all three of their businesses sharing the space. There is a bookstore, a gift shop, and a muffin shop. The women start as strangers but end up with their lives very much intertwined, and each one has her own romance. A great book with relatable middle-aged characters who are looking for the next big step in their lives. I look forward to recommending it.
I liked this book. It was really different than her other books. I’ve read a ton of books written by Susan Mallery and THE BOARDWALK BOOKSHOP will definitely please her loyal readers.. Susan really knows how to pull you in and make you feel as if you are living through what the characters are.
Three women find themselves fawning over an open store-front, one much too large for each of them individually, but the perfect size for the three of them together.  They combine forces, open their shop on the boardwalk, and new friendships are formed between Bree, Mikki, and Ashley.
All three women have challenges in their romantic lives, from a partner who won't agree to commitment, to being afraid of commitment, to recovering from a divorce.  The book went into quite a lot of detail in each of these lives and challenges, and got a bit dry for me .
I liked this book but I predicted the ending early on in the story. Bree was tough but she had room for her business associates.  Mikki was every Mom. Ashley was young but she knew what she wanted.  I’d have liked Brees parents to get what was coming to them but Perry’s parents made up for that disappointment.  Rita was a hoot.  I’m glad Bree knew how to handle her.  All in all it was a good book to pass the time while I was home sick.
This was a heartwarming story. Three strangers take a gamble in sharing rent on a building and moving their businesses there. This is a story of women becoming friends and being there for each other. It’s about walking the minefield of relationships while dealing with personal baggage. It’s truly about the complexities of relationships. The writing is wonderful as always. I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced free copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own. I received a copy from the publisher through NetGalley.
Thank you to Harlequin Trade Publishing, and Netgalley for an ARC of this book! I’ve willingly read and reviewed it. All opinions are my own.

I loved the three storylines: Bree is a widowed bookstore owner (the titular Boardwalk Bookshop) who shares a retail space with divorced Mikki who runs a gift shop, and Ashley, a bakery owner in a long-term relationship with her boyfriend. The friendship between the three women, though new, was one of my favorite parts of the book!

While the book was interesting and kept my attention, I wish it had been split up into a three-book series. It felt as if the relationships these three women found themselves in and their respective challenges were never explored deeply enough for me to feel any sort of connection between the love interests or to get a grasp on who the characters really were.

Also, and perhaps I’m not the book’s normal demographic, but the characters are around my age range (late twenties to early forties) and they all acted and spoke as if they were 20-30 years older. Even their parents who would be around my parents’ ages seemed aged up.

So, while the bones of the story were definitely there and enjoyable, I wish they had been fleshed out more to give a better picture of these characters.
When fate brings three strangers to a charming space for lease on the California coast, the Boardwalk Bookshop is born. Part bookstore, part gift shop, part bakery, it's a dream come true for Bree, Mikki and Ashley. But while their business is thriving, their personal lives are…not.  Bree, wounded by brilliant but cold parents and her late husband's ultimate betrayal, has sworn to protect her heart at all costs. Even from Ashley's brother, a writer and adventurer who has inspired millions. He's the first man to see past Bree's barricades to her true self, which terrifies her. Mikki has this divorce thing all figured out—somehow, she's stayed friends with her ex and her in-laws…until a new man changes how everyone looks at her, and how she sees herself. Meanwhile, Ashley discovers that the love of her life never intends to marry. Can she live without being a wife if it means she can have everything else she's ever wanted?

I have never read any of this author's books, but am always drawn by titles that involve books.  I thoroughly enjoyed the writing but could have throttled Bree at times!  The author writes well of friends, family and how they interact.  I would highly recommend this book and thank NetGalley and the publisher for a chance to read it.
Sad to say this one, like the last Susan Mallery I read, was just okay. It seems that she's lost some of the storytelling power and character development from some of her earlier work like the Fool's Gold and Happily Inc series. In those books/series, I was completely vested in their lives, stories, and the outcome. This one … eh, not so much. I finished it to finish it.

Not terrible and if you are looking for a quick beach read, add this one to your beach bag list.

Thank you #netgalley and #htp #mira for the eARC.
I LOVE SUSAN MALLERY!!! I was so excited to get a copy of this title and immediately set out reading. This may be my favorite book of hers yet!
An interesting look at modern love, marriage, divorce and romance. All of it is based in a shop that is being shared by three women running three different businesses. A bookshop, a gift shop and a bakery. I enjoyed their trials in love and cheered on their attempts at love.
Susan Mallery is one of my favorite authors. I enjoyed this book, but since I just finished reading The Summer Getaway, I was surprised by many of the similarities. One of the women was divorced with an ex that was around. Another had a boyfriend who made a 180 * turnaround, and the last had someone who cared for her and was willing to share his feelings with her from the start. I liked the way the women supported and were honest with each other.
This, sadly, was a terrible book. The characters were all unlikeable, and all they did was either argue or discuss sex. Just as a scene would start to become interesting, either a massive fight or a massive erec**** would interrupt the whole thing. It was ridiculous. Not a fan at all, of the plot, the characters, or, after this, the author any longer.
Once again Ms Mallery does it. I always enjoy her books because they always have strong women in her stories. So grab a bottle of bubbly, a muffin and a comfy place to read and enjoy your time on a beach with three very different but entertaining women.