Cover Image: The Boardwalk Bookshop

The Boardwalk Bookshop

An interesting look at modern love, marriage, divorce and romance. All of it is based in a shop that is being shared by three women running three different businesses. A bookshop, a gift shop and a bakery. I enjoyed their trials in love and cheered on their attempts at love.
Susan Mallery is one of my favorite authors. I enjoyed this book, but since I just finished reading The Summer Getaway, I was surprised by many of the similarities. One of the women was divorced with an ex that was around. Another had a boyfriend who made a 180 * turnaround, and the last had someone who cared for her and was willing to share his feelings with her from the start. I liked the way the women supported and were honest with each other.
This, sadly, was a terrible book. The characters were all unlikeable, and all they did was either argue or discuss sex. Just as a scene would start to become interesting, either a massive fight or a massive erec**** would interrupt the whole thing. It was ridiculous. Not a fan at all, of the plot, the characters, or, after this, the author any longer.
Once again Ms Mallery does it. I always enjoy her books because they always have strong women in her stories. So grab a bottle of bubbly, a muffin and a comfy place to read and enjoy your time on a beach with three very different but entertaining women.
I enjoyed this quick fun read with a myriad of likable characters…that being said, there were too too many main characters…it was difficult, at times, keeping them apart…there were so many themes running through this book  though, and that made for a delightful read…the bookstore…I love library and bookstore books…the aggravating mom…that was a fun aside to the main plot…this author weaves a story that makes for a delightful read…she is one of my favorites…I do wish that authors would be less explicit in some scenes…
Grief can keep us shackled to the past Whether its abuse, self-doubt, neglect or being unable to overcome obstacles, those scars leave imprints on our ability to move forward and trust others.

Bree grew up in a household where she felt like an interloper. Her parents either ignored or ridiculed her attempts to form a connection. Vowing never to let anyone get too close, she forms acquaintances and flings rather than long-term relationships.

Forming a business with Ashley and Mikki, the unlikely friendships begin to topple Bree's walls. During champagne sunsets, the friends discuss the week's surprises and stressful situations. As the bubbly is poured, it lowers their defenses while building stronger foundations.

Thank you to #NetGaleley and the publisher for the early edition of #TheBoardwalkBookshop in exchange for honest review. I'm a fan of Susan Mallery's books and her flawed but loveable characters. I grow attached to the protagonists and wish them well after the final chapters.

I enjoyed reading "The Boardwalk Bookshop" book during Women's History Month as the power of friendships and struggles the women faced will resonate with readers. As a word of caution, what appears as a light-hearted beach read has complex characters working through issues.

There are frank discussions about '"bedroom activities"' that some readers might find off putting. That being said, I don't think it took away from the story. In fact, some aspects reawakened parts of their lives that needed a jolt or new batteries!

Quote from "The Boardwalk Bookshop"

“This moment, this laughter, this friendship. It was unexpected but she liked it. These women had, in a short period of time become important to her. Their weekly ritual grounded her and made her feel she belonged. After so many years of being alone…she was surprised to feel a sense of being part of something.”
I liked this book. It was really different than her other books. I am grateful that Netgalley let me read this in exchange for an honest review.
Thank you to NetGalley, the author, and the publisher for the opportunity to read  an advanced reader's copy of this book.

I always look forward to a new Susan Mallery book and enjoyed this one.  Bookstores, beaches, best gal pals, what's not to love?!
Publication date: May 31, 2022

Thank you to NetGalley, the author, and the publisher for the opportunity to read and review an advanced reader's copy of this book. This in no way affects my review, all opinions are my own and may be affected by the fact that it is windy and freezing rain outside and I have nothing better to do than read multiple books a day!

SYNOPSIS
*****************
When fate brings three strangers to a charming space for lease on the California coast, the Boardwalk Bookshop is born. Part bookstore, part gift shop, part bakery, it's a dream come true for Bree, Mikki and Ashley. But while their business is thriving, their personal lives are…not.

Bree, wounded by brilliant but cold parents and her late husband's ultimate betrayal, has sworn to protect her heart at all costs. Even from Ashley's brother, a writer and adventurer who has inspired millions. He's the first man to see past Bree's barricades to her true self, which terrifies her. Mikki has this divorce thing all figured out—somehow, she's stayed friends with her ex and her in-laws…until a new man changes how everyone looks at her, and how she sees herself. Meanwhile, Ashley discovers that the love of her life never intends to marry. Can she live without being a wife if it means she can have everything else she's ever wanted?

At sunset every Friday on the beach in front of the Boardwalk Bookshop, the three friends share a champagne toast. As their bond grows closer, they challenge one another to become the best versions of themselves in this heart-achingly beautiful story of friendship, sisterhood and the transformative power of love.

It is that time of year:  beach books! Beach reads! Beaches I certainly cannot afford to live at!  Maybe that is why I liked it.   The ladies at the heart of the book are wonderfully crafted and have background stories that made them very appealing and the storyline, although long and winded at times, was a joy to spend time with.

This book has 448 pages so it is not a casual read to whip through in an afternoon...but do take it to the beach, the porch, the back yard or your garden and enjoy a lot of time with Miss Mallery and her latest addition to her enjoyable ouevre.
Three women, brought together by sharing a space for their businesses, learn about love for friends, lovers and themselves in this standalone from Mallery. The three are in different stages of life and love, and I enjoyed seeing their friendship develop as they each dealt with relationship issues. Multiple points of view kept the story moving. Pop this in your beach bag.
The boardwalk bookstore by Susan Mallory release date may 2022.  Well Susan Mallory does it again. A romance novel about women business owners and their search for romance. Can these three women with all their hangups find true love   These three women weee almost too dramatic for my taste. By the end I was cheering for the men to find someone else   You know they will not be happy with these women
I always enjoy books by Susan Mallery.  I liked the Boardwalk Bookshop, which had many elements of the romances that have made her so popular.  I did feel that the issues each of the three main characters had took too long to develop and resolve in this story.  The characters, whose connection was that they rent a building together to house their businesses, were interesting but I felt they were bringing many of their troubles on themselves and I found I had trouble really being engaged with them.  I do think this book will appeal to romance and Susan Mallery fans.  I would rate it a 3.5 stars.
Mallery's latest novel centers around 3 women, Bree, Mikki and Ashley, who lease the same building and run a bookshop, souvenir shop and a bakery, respectively. I usually enjoy Susan Mallery novels but I didn't particularly connect with any of the characters at times found them unlikable. Decent beach read. 3.5
Mallery continues to knock it out of the park again! The Boardwalk Bookshop does not disappoint.  The characters are fresh and while they have the same formula as her usual stand alone books, this one feels new, but comfortable since there are references to other characters from different series,  This book is a joyful way to spend a coupe of hours and meet a few new characters in the Mallery universe.  My wish is that these ladies deserve a sequel.
This is another great book by Susan Mallery. I had trouble putting this book down. The tree main characters are Ashley, Mikita and Bree. They meet when they were looking at a shop on the beach. The space was too big for one of them so they decided to rent it and put all their businesses in it. They had issues from parental abuse, divorce, starting over dating, and wanting to get married. They each meet new romance and they each fell in love.
Three women become friends when they join to lease beachfront property to house a book shop, gift shop, and bakery. They support each other's relationship issues as each tries to navigate love and moving on, and in the process come to realize that friendship may be the greatest gift of all.
This book was all over the place! So many POV's. It was exhausting. The romance between Duane and Mikki was cute, at best. Bree and Harding were meh. And honestly, I expect way better from the romance queen.
I received an arc of this title from NetGalley for an honest review. Excellent book about three women who share shop together. I read this book in nearly one sitting and I couldn't figure out how it was going to end, which kept me readying. Great characters, setting, plot and dialog.
Three women combine resources to open a combined business in a gorgeous piece of boardwalk real estate. Bree (bookstore) is walled off emotionally in a desperate attempt at self protection; Mikki (gift shop) is three years into a “friendly” divorce but is having trouble moving on; and Ashley (Muffin shop) whose  boyfriend is everything she could possibly ask for, except for his tenacious anti-marriage stance.

But while their businesses are flourishing, their personal lives are not. The story comprises family history and relationships, realistic scenarios requiring improved self awareness and difficult decisions, the requisite (and utterly unrealistic but who cares) hunky but deeply sensitive and supportive men, and a special guest appearance by a vibrator named Earl.

Another fun, warm, and self-help worthy offering from Susan Mallery.
Bree, Mikki and Ashley have nothing in common except disappointment. Navigating affairs, divorce and the general garbage that life throws at them, the trio comes together to open a bookshop/bakery on the California coast. Sharing a champagne toast together at sunset every Friday, the women continue to grow closer, learning that the power of friendship is the best cure for anything life throws at you