Cover Image: Travelers

Travelers

I rated book one in this series a 3.5, and Travelers sits in the same range.

This is a fun YA series, a group of teenagers find themselves with superpowers and now hide them, whilst protecting their town! This instalment of the Freaks series gave me Buffy vibes (even having a character nicknamed Giles), and I loved it.  There was no 'middle book syndrome' with this, as the character development was solid, as well as the big bad of the book.

These are just an entertaining read all around, I recommend and look forward to book three.

**Thank you to Netgalley and Imbrifex books for allowing me to read to this book. All thoughts are my honest opinions.**
When I first got this arc I was confused. Then I figured out why. This is the first work I’ve read by this author. I did not realize it was the second and the series. I think I would have enjoyed it more if I had read the first book in the series.
Personally, I enjoyed the first book better, even though I had hopes that I would like this sequel more and get many questions answered. But I judt couldn't connect completely with the story
I really enjoyed being able to get inside the head of the "monsters", and am intrigued by the path Micah seems to be taking. I read this shortly after Freaks, so everything was still fresh in my head. I feel like this would be an excellent recommendation for fans of Stranger Things, and will need to get a copy for my shelf posthaste!
Thanks NetGalley and Imbrifex Books for the ARC in exchange for an honest review!

Unfortunately, this book wasn't for me. I didn't know that this is a sequel, so I didn't understand a lot of things. I really did give it a try, but it just didn't grab my attention. I loved the queer rep, though, and the premise looked promising. But I should really read the first book first.
Thank you to the publisher and Netgalley for giving me a copy for review!

I enjoyed this superhero novel set in Arkansas (a place not given much attention to). I appreciated the LGBTQIA+ representation especially for a book set in Arkansas. I do plan on continuing with this series.
Well! I am among the NetGalley reviewers that didn't know that this was a sequel when I requested it - and I requested it after I got duped into reading a few double-digit series books so I *know* I checked!

All that aside, I really enjoyed this book! The characters are likeable, their social struggles are believable... heck, even their struggles as newly-minted "freaks" are believable! I'm definitely going to check out the first novel of this series when my TBR is a little lighter, but I really enjoyed this and would recommend this series to anyone looking for a nice change of pace (which I was!)
Fantastic follow up to the book Freaks. I really loved the original book and this one was just as good. Fast paced and interesting! Loved it!
This is the second book in the FREAKS series, an absolutely wonderful series for anyone who needs an escape from everyday drudgery.  As our intrepid super heroes work together to save their hometown, they must keep one step ahead of the "government" agencies that would love to run tests on our Freaks.  Brett Riley has done an excellent job of keeping the Freaks world building running smoothly while adding to the depth of the characters and giving them a life outside their heroic efforts.  All in all, this is a great series for any and everyone.
Ever drive through Southeastern Arkansas and wondered why there are no trees? It's because the Freaks have returned to play havoc with the forests. This time they're aided in their woody eradication by gloop-shooting FBI agents.

At least the Freaks are a little nicer to each other than they were in the first novel, Freaks. They can still be catty to each other, but there is romance in the air and being snarky doesn't improve one's love life. They are insulting to the weird uncle, but heck, who wouldn't want a creepy, kookie, altogether spooky uncle who does magic and drives a Lexus?

This is the fourth book I've read this year with icky, villainous rabbits. Are itty-bitty bunny rabbits the new monsters in books? Bitsy bunny did make for a cool cover for Travelers.

If you can get past the wanton treeicide, it's a pretty exciting book. Some good, scary monsters in addition to criminal bunnies. Thanks to Netgalley and Imbrifex Books for allowing me to read and review an eARC of Travelers.
Thank you to Imbrifex Books and NetGalley for the free e-arc in exchange for an honest review.

This second instalment of the Freaks series offers a strong opening and a deeper look into characters who were perhaps not as heavily featured in the first. However, that is much of the positives for the title.

After the first third or so, the book begins to taper off and offers no real hook like the first did. Ultimately, the creep/horror factor lacked and this, coupled with poor pacing, left this a lacklustre sequel to an intriguing novel.
Actual rating : 2.5

I am so sorry, but, this book didn't engage me at all. Promising plot but not well written. Tried so hard to finish this book
What a fantastic use of mythology.   I absolutely loved the premise and characters in Brett Riley's Travelers!     This is a must read book.  Well done!
The FREAKS are back! While I felt like the stakes were a little lower overall in Travelers, than they were in FREAKS, I found myself voraciously turning pages while reading. The author, Brett Riley, does a superb job of building up the tension with the FREAKS grouping, now that a their former bully is one of them. As the reader, it is hard to forgive the bully, but when the bullied becomes a bit too violent, I found myself swinging back and forth between who I felt more empathy for, which gives me just a little taste of what the rest of the Freaks must be feeling, too!
This novel gave us a little more time with Gabby and Christian, which I liked a lot. They were both interesting characters in the first book, but we were stuck more-so inside Jamie, Kenneth, and Micah's heads, so it was nice to see a little more of the story from Gabby and Christian's perspective.
Baltar is definitely a BAD DUDE, I can feel it... I was a little disappointed that there wasn't as much time devoted to Baltar and his magical abilities—where did they come from? what kind of portals did he open? why hasn't Micah spoken to his dad (even via text)? also, we haven't heard back from social services so how do they know someone is staying with Micah? ... I'm sure this will probably be front and center during the next book, but I felt a little disappointed in the Freaks with their lack of questioning of Baltar, aside from the first day where they just took his amulets without question.... the horror fan in me is screaming for them to be smarter!
But aside from my Baltar bothers, I loved the action and high tension that Brett Riley creates. I also really enjoyed the deeper character building in this novel, and the light romantic tension in that teenage love-triangle style.
The pacing kept me on the edge of my seat just waiting to see another rabbit poke its nose somewhere odd or for Micah to maybe lose his grasp on reality. I am now patiently waiting for Book 3, and hoping it delivers more thriller/horror vibes and some answers that are bouncing around my noggin since I finished the last page.
The writing was mostly suitable for an early YA category, therefore I found it hard to stay engaged. However, the plot was well done and I believe it would’ve made more sense and made me like it better if I had read the first book prior to this as I was unaware this was a sequel.
After reading Freaks I was honored with being given the opportunity to read and listen to Travelers almost immediately after. I'm very curious if it's just going to end where it is or if there will be a third book. Either way, it was well written and for being someone who isn't a huge fan of Stranger Things type stories, I think this author and narrator have won my heart forever! It was a page-turner and there as so much action and excitement. Was very sad for it to end
Did not realize this was part of a series that highly reflects events in the prior book. Did not like it even though the creepy factor was there.

Cannot recommend unless you read the book before this. Not for me.

Thanks to NetGalley, Brett Riley, and Imbrifex Books for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Available: 8/2/22
- thanks to netgalley and the publisher for providing me with the ARC in exchange for an early review.
I enjoyed this book alot, the plot sucked me in and I love the characters. A very easy read and very fun
If you enjoyed Stranger Things, you'll enjoy this book. I didn't even read the first book in the series and I was able to dive in and understand this story. A group of teens have super human powers that helped save their town at great cost to themselves.  Now they must get over their old prejudices in order to save each other from shadowy government agents and a new supernatural threat. The characters have normal teenage problems like parents, school and crushes but they also feel compelled to protect their town. The story progresses in this book and sets up the next book. Even though I still had questions, like what is up with the creepy great-uncle, this book tells a complete story. It's fast paced and fun to read.
Thank you to NetGalley, Brett Riley and Imbrifex Books for the DRC.