Cover Image: Life's a Catastrophe

Life's a Catastrophe

DNF at 24%

Normally I wouldn't DNF books this early, but this one wasn't clicking with me at all. I found myself dreading reading, which isn't something that ever happens. Initially, I picked this one up because it promised cats, but the cat content wasn't too compelling. Maybe this would've gotten better as I read on, but I'm not motivated to continue.

Thanks to Netgalley for providing a free copy in exchange for an honest review
Whoa! What a ride. It was very fast-paced. The writing style kept me hooked and I didn't find myself losing any interest. I enjoyed getting to know each of the characters and how real the story felt. The author did a great job painting the setting, so it was easy for me to visualize the scene played out before me.  I recommend giving this one a chance!
This was an enjoyable read, taking us into the life of Aly who has success online as a 'catfluencer' but behind the scenes things are not so rosy. The supporting characters are well developed and we get to find out more about Aly and her life as she struggles to juggle everything to keep a roof over her head and her cats insta-famous.

I was expecting a really light, frothy read and was pleasantly surprised that this story has more substance to it - all the characters have their flaws and they are drawn as real, believable people rather than romanticised 'ideals'.

There were elements I struggled with, for me the ex-boyfriend reappearance seemed overly contrived - and her relationship with her Mum is referenced and hinted at throughout but then seemed to be dealt with in a flash. I did however love the side story of Kav and Manolis, this was really nicely done.

Overall a lovely debut that I think lots of people will really enjoy.
Unfortunately I did not finish this one. I just could not get into it or the characters, my apologies. I think most people will enjoy it and find it funny and endearing, but was not for me.
I really felt like I was too old for this book. There was so much slang in it that I felt like I was learning a new language. Besides that, the overall story was cute. Catfluincer trying to make ends meet.

If only I were younger, or the book was geared more towards the 30 somethings as well.
This is the first book I have read by this author. I was worried that a dislike of cats would affect my enjoyment of this book, but it really didn’t.

I love how a realistic introvert is able to express her playful side through her cats. The book was well written and enjoyable to read. I look forward to reading more from this author in the future.

Thank you NetGalley and publisher for my advanced copy of this book in exchange for an honest review 📚
Who wouldn't love a book about a 'catifluencer'? As someone whose phone is full of cat photos, I found 'Life's a Catastrophe', a fun, easy-to-read, enjoyable read.
Princess Fuzzypants here:  Aly is a catfluencer.  On her Instagram page she has ignited a horde of fans who love the cheeky and irreverent commentary on current events.  For this she uses her two cats, Molly and Milly.  Dressing them up in costumes that she creates and then photographing them is her way of expressing herself.  She has zero self confidence and by making her cats “human” she has delighted an army of fans and attracted the attention of a big marketing firm.

Glitter promises to shoot her popularity into the stratosphere but Aly, oddball that she is, thinks she does not fit.  She is completely flummoxed when the big hunky boss shows more than just professional interest in her.  As her star is on the rise, she makes an egregious mistake which almost ends both her career and her relationships.  It could not come at a worse time when she suffers a huge loss and is about to be homeless.

Yet, out of the ashes, she arises again.  How, you might ask.  Instead of making cats into humans, she does the wise thing.  She starts to think things through from the lens of how a cat might approach problems and challenges.  By channeling her inner cat, she finds the answers and when the book is over, she is about to share what she has learned with the world.  Wise woman.  Everyone knows things would be far better if cats were in charge.

Five purrs and two paws up.
This was a simple, easy and quick read. The perfect type of book for your holiday, beach, pool kind of read. This is a first for me by the author and one I enjoyed and would read more of their work. The book cover is eye-catching and appealing and would spark my interest if in a bookshop. Thank you very much to the author, publisher and Netgalley for this ARC.
A fantastic debut from Kirstie Pelling. Life's a Catastrophe is a funny novel filled with interesting multi-faceted characters. Just brilliant, made me laugh, made me care and I just could not put it down.
I binged this book! The spin on an introverted Instagrammer using her platform to show of her cat!
If you are looking for some easy reading with a happy ending this is the book for you.
honestly i wanted to like this book, but it did not work for me. i wish it would have because i was so excited to read this one and to get to read it way early?! thank you so much netgalley!!!!!
As a cat lady, I knew this would grab me, and it did. A nice light read, perfect to help me during my reading slump.
If you're a cat lover, this book is definitely for you! Aly is cat influencer on Instagram and has a big following. As popular as she is, she can't make enough to pay the bills. Rick from a promo company contacts her in an effort to help make her brand more profitable. As time goes on, she feels as if she is taking advantage of her cats. She has a hard time connecting with people and Rick helps give her a boost. Could they possibly have a future together?
This was a cute and quirky story that I found to be quite enjoyable and entertaining. There were plenty of humorous moments that had me laughing or just generally left me with a smile on my face. A really adorable story and am glad I had the opportunity to read it.
I received a complimentary copy from Netgalley and am voluntarily leaving my review.
Life's a Catastrophe is an entertaining and fun read, but does have a more serious side to it. Aly Meadows is an influencer, her fans are in awe of her cat Instagram site 'Alycat'. Aly is a 'catfluencer' and uses her spare as a carer to build her influence and her followers. This has led to her being offered a real game-changer as she has been head-hunted.

While this is a fun and really entertaining read, there are also some serious sides to this story. A disjointed and not warm home life growing up and living in a flat full of boxes isn't a situation anyone wants to be in. But for Aly though, it is all hers - for the time being!

I really loved the humour of this story and Aly is a bit of a clutz, a walking catastrophe really does sum her up. She manages to get herself into some random predicaments, and with not altogether negative effects. It does make for some chuckling moments throughout the story.

I am going to admit to being more of a dog person than a cat person, but the author has done such a wonderful job with the feline characteristics and traits with the cats. Also, some really interesting things that I never knew about the care of a hairless Sphynx cat.

You don't have to go far on any of the social media sites to find vids and posts of pets and this is what appealed to me about this book when I first saw it. I really liked the balance of fun and serious and there is of course a romantic element to this book.

It is a slow-burner of a romance, but one that has Aly in a bit of a quandary. But it definitely does add a steamy extra to this story.

It is an entertaining read and one that I really enjoyed, ideal for lovers of fun and humorous as well as rom-coms and of course everything cat. It is one I would definitely recommend.
Life’s a Catastrophe wasn’t for me.
I would however say it had its brilliant moments.
I liked it’s takes on the influencer side.
Aly and Rick were fun too.
Being a self proclaimed cat lady, i loved this. It had everything that I could possibly want in a book and then some. It was a nice quick read with some deeper moments to make you feel things.
A really easy read which is full of emotion through the love of cats and how you can learn from them.
Aly Meadows is a self-proclaimed 'catfluencer' using her two beloved pets to earn thousands of likes on Instagram. But behind the lens, Aly is broke, facing eviction and living a life that's a million miles away from the glamourous world of social media stardom.
Extraordinary. Outstanding… absolutely amazing… just wow!… Loved it
Excellent contemporary rom com by Kirstie Pelling. I really enjoyed this take on the bonkers world of social media influencers and how Kirstie differentiated it by making it all about cats (which, even though I'm a dog person, I really enjoyed!) Comical and warm, well done, Kirstie, on your debut!