Cover Image: The Personal Shopper

The Personal Shopper

This was a re-read for me as I read the initial paperback copy back in 2008, I was curious to see if it still held up to my initial thoughts on it. Thanks to #netgalley for the ARC in exchange for a fair and honest review. A feelgood laugh out loud chicklit read that was enjoyable from start to finish. An entertaining plot with likeable characters. Reading the Kindle version made me remember just why I read so many books from this series ⭐⭐⭐⭐#carmenreid #thepersonalshopper #netgalley #goodreads #litsy #thestorygraph #tea_sipping_bookworm #bookqueen #bookstagram #chicklit
I would firstly just like to give a big thank you to Rachel’s Random Resources who very kindly forwarded me a copy of this book, for my Kindle, in return for my honest review.

The Personal Shopper is the first book in the Annie Valentine series but can very easily be read as a stand alone a there is no cliff hangar ending.
This book centres around Annie Valentine, a single mum of a typical 14 year old teen, Lana and the very quiet and shy, nine year old Owen. She is a brilliant Personal Shopper and prides herself on being able to solve peoples shopping problems.
There were a few side characters in this story who I really enjoyed getting to know but the one who really stands out is Annie’s best friend, he is just hilarious!
This was an easy read with plenty of giggles and a lovely little twist in there too…..
This book was alright but at times I had a hard time liking Annie. I found the story to be cute. I liked that Annie was a go-getter who only relied on herself. At times though I found her annoying. There was not enough romance and to much outfit descriptions.
The PERFECT read for your holidays this summer!

Now who doesn't just love a perfect love story with some drama, comedy and real life scenarios thrown in?

Annie Valentine is a widowed single mum to her two children, working her butt off during the day as a Personal Shopper and in the evening running her own consultancy sideline and selling fabulous fashion bargains on Ebay to support her family.

One day these two lives crash together *no spoilers* leaving Annie jobless. Where does she go from here?

At the same time, after 3 years being alone after her husband Roddy died, Annie is ready to get back into the dating scene, preferably to meet a man with a decent bank balance.

Each chapter begins with a foreword of someones outfit, where its from and how much each item cost. I'll admit that after a few chapters I did end up skimming over those parts.  Whilst they fit in with the characters job etc I don't personally think they are necessary to the story. This is my only negative though!

A fast paced read with fantastically scripted characters that was full of tender moments as well as the comical onea.

Thanks to netgalley and Boldwood Books for the ARC.
Thank you to NetGalley and Boldwood Books for an e-ARC of this novel in exchange for my honest review.
Fun and cheaper than a flight to London. Slightly predictable in the romance department but the protagonist's wheelings and dealings were entertaining.
I really wanted to love this but the main character did grate on me a little more than i would have liked. It was not as funny as I expected but I did love her kids as well as the setting. I think it was fun to hear about the clothing but the lifestyle didnt make sense to me and it wasnt my favorite
This is my first time reading this author. I enjoyed the book. The story follows a family with issues. I'm interested to see what this series will be as this is supposed to be the first one. Thanks NetGalley for the advanced copy. #NetGalley #PersonalShopper
Thanks to netgalley for this read.
Unfortunately I didn't realise this was a re release as I have previously read & enjoyed this book and the rest if the series.
Shopping, romance and humour – who could possibly resist best-selling author Carmen Reid’s delightful new novel, The Personal Shopper?

As a personal shopper in one of London’s most exclusive and most expensive stores, Annie Valentine is an expert when it comes to solving other people’s problems – it’s a shame though that she is less adept at solving her own dilemmas! Whether it’s finding the right outfit for the perfect occasion or sourcing the most gorgeous pair of shoes, when it comes to fashion, Annie is an absolute genius, but it’s a completely different story when it comes to affairs of the heart.

Juggling her busy job with bringing up two kids single-handedly doesn’t leave Annie with a lot of free time for romance. But lately she has noticed that there is a gap in her life which no amount of shopping can fill. Having already lost the love of her life, is Annie ready to dip her toe in the dating pool and put her heart on the line again? Or will finding love this time around prove to be a challenge too big for Annie?

Will Annie find the genuine article in a sea of cheap knock-offs and shoddily made goods? Or has her Mr Right been right under her nose all along?

Fun, feel-good and simply fabulous, Carmen Reid’s The Personal Shopper is a delightful tale with a heroine you cannot help but root for, rib-tickling humour, emotional veracity and heart-warming romance. Annie Valentine is a wonderful protagonist whom readers will relate to and warm to and her quest to find happiness will have them laughing out loud and shedding a tear or two.

Warm-hearted, stylish and uplifting, The Personal Shopper is another winner for Carmen Reid.
This is a fun and exciting read that I was attracted to just by the cover. It is just absolutely gorgeous!

I found myself drawn to this book and I haven’t been able to put it down. I’m definitely not disappointed by this one.

I live Annie Valentine she is just the most gorgeous character. I loved her. This is well written and a great read I have devoured page after page.

This is an absolute gem and I have adored it.
A bright and breezy read , I flew through it. Carmen's writing is funny and relatable while packing an emotional punch. I'm looking forward to the next book!
Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for an ARC of this book. I have chosen to write this honest review voluntarily.
This is the first book I have read by this author and I liked the amount of detail alongside the storyline; the outfit descriptions at the start of each chapter were fun, although a little horrifying where the prices were shown! The story was cleverly-crafted although I didn't particularly like Annie's apparent fixation with money, working on her own sales as well as her salaried hours coupled with fixing up homes to sell on, all to keep her unappreciated children at a private school. Annie didn't seem to have the right values and her habit of addressing people as 'babes' irritated me. I thought the detail in the sex scenes was unnecessary. My overall feeling about this book was that I enjoyed it and I would read more by this author.
This book is a reinventing 15 years or so after the first version, as I understand it.

Annie Valentine Is a personal shopper at a hoity tooth department store, with a few fashion oriented side hustles as well. She’s forever chasing her tail having been left in a precarious position by her husband. You’re never quite sure what happened to Roddy, and wonder what he did to her, but all is revealed about 2/3 in.

Annie gets the sack from work and has no idea how she’s going to pay her kids exorbitant school fees. Enter Gray and rich dentist, some years older and financially secure. Annie and her children move in with him. But what about Ed, the lovely school music teacher who she shares a scorcher of a kiss with.

The Personal Shopper is a slow burn womens fiction book. Annie grated on me a little with her ‘babes’ left right and centre. She definitely tries to hard to be a ‘have’ and seems to think it’s so much better than a ‘have not’. It makes her appear pretty shallow. It’s a book where largely not much happens, and looks at the minutiae of Annie’s life. I felt like I needed a little more from this one, though I loved the ending …. She just seemed to go so quickly from one suitor to another, which is also not my thing.
I've never laughed and gotten so many looks and cheered on a main character the way i did this book. With it's easy to read writing and beautiful plot and almost realistic characters, this book is sure to have you turning and laughing till the last chapter so don't be tied up when reading this book
I'd definitely recommend this book to anyone looking for something to add to their never-ending tbr pile and definitely a book you should pick up next.
honestly i wanted to like this book, but it did not work for me. i wish it would have because i was so excited to read this one and to get to read it way early?! thank you so much netgalley!!!!!
I'm guilty of reading reviews before I actually read a book and so i went into this one with low expectations and I was surprised I enjoyed it so much!
The characters were relatable because they really were just ordinary people and I enjoyed following the story line.
I recommend reading this!
This is the first in a series of novels about Annie Valentine which Boldwood has re-released. I haven't read any of the series but found the book to be a bright and humorous read with a sparky central character and plenty of amusing secondary ones. In The Personal Shopper, you find Annie as a resourceful and determined woman who is striving to do her best for her family. Working in an exclusive store by day, she gets to dress and sell designer clothes to a wide range of the rich and famous. With each she manages to find out what makes them tick and alters her approach. It is not surprising that she is the top seller.

Not afraid to admit when she has made a mistake, Annie is a resourceful and amusing central character. In her personal life, she finds herself in some hilarious situations and her two children add to the chaos she feels she is surrounded by at times. Ger quest for a partner adds to the humour but always in a gentle, harmless way. If you are looking for an amusing read with some finely observed social situations, you will love this.

In short: Feisty central character and plenty of humour.
#BlogTour
I loved this book. It was bright, sparkly and entertaining, but with a good dose of raw intensity running underneath.

Annie is the sole breadwinner for her family since her husband died. She makes ends meet by working as a Personal Shopper in a designer department store, and selling vintage and preloved clothes and accessories online. But that’s a lot to juggle on top of a family, and Annie’s ability to hold it all together is slipping.

The Personal Shopper is ultimately a romance, and a story about a woman figuring out who she has become in a world through grief and beyond. It is full of wonderful characters, from Annie’s stubborn 16 year old daughter, Lauren, to her actor best friend, Connor, scruffy but sensitive guitar teacher, Ed, the elusive charmer, Gray, and more than one stylish millionaire. It has plenty of humour to offset all the emotional crises and left me with a sense of real elation at the end.

The story was pacey and pulled me in fast with emotional twists and turns. The glamourous clothes are wonderfully offset by Annie’s bargain hunting, making this a wonderfully down-to-earth book in spite of all the designer price tags.

I loved Annie, with her determination and resilience, and will definitely be looking to read more of this fabulous series.
Annie Valentine was widowed several years ago when her husband died in an accidental fall.  She works hard to support her children, Lauren, 15, and Owen.  Annie is the senior personal shopper at “The Store,” an expensive clothing store in London.  Many wealthy women come in to see her to help them find the perfect clothes for them to wear and Annie gets a commission on what she sells.  She also searches sales and finds great items to sell on her Ebay site.  While she is well loved by her customers, Annie’s boss, Donna, does not like her and is always looking for ways to get her fired.

Annie makes enough money to send her children to an expensive school in London.  Owen is a shy boy and his music teacher, Ed, wants to see him expand himself by learning to play guitar.  He goes out of his way to teach him after school and helps to bring him out of himself.

Annie realizes that she’s lonely and wants to fall in love with someone, however, it’s hard to meet people.

Annie’s mother’s dentist, Gray, is a divorced man who has a large home and fancies Annie.  As they get to know one another more, he appears to be a nice man who wants Annie and her children to move in with him.  Could this arrangement work or could they all be getting into something more than they can handle?

This is a lovely story and I enjoyed all of the characters.  We see how difficult single motherhood can be and the extreme grief that Annie is suffering.  Her wonderful friends who all care for her so much are great supports, especially Connor, her late husband’s gay friend.  Let’s not forget Ed who is like a teddy bear looking to love and be loved.  This book made me smile, laugh, and cry.  I hope other readers will enjoy it as much as I did.

Copy provided by NetGalley in exchange for a fair and honest review.