Cover Image: Grace

Grace

What a fantastic book, heartbreaking in places and uplifting in others. A very emotional subject to deal with, it also makes a good point about people's perception of others, it was very interesting to see that 2 seemingly very different women were actually in the same situation. Well written and it was difficult to tell how it would end.
I normally enjoy stories set in small communities, with romance,a touch of humour and that certain feel-good factor. This story is not really anything like that, instead covering subjects that I've had no experience of including abusive, drug fuelled relationships and the desperation of trying for a baby. Initially I just dipped into it once or twice, but found that I was increasingly drawn into it. I really felt for both Michelle, the young mother, and Amelia, the prospective foster / adoptive mother to be. The way that a book affects me is what makes the difference between a 4* and 5* review - a story such as this that affects me emotionally and makes me consider how lucky my life has been certainly deserves the latter. Overall very highly recommended, just be prepared for some soul-searching whilst reading it.
I received an advance copy of this book from the publisher through Netgalley,however this did not influence my review of the book.
Nineteen-year-old Michelle gives up her baby after birth, having had a traumatic time in the care system. Amelia is desperate to have a baby after the pain of infertility. This is the story of the two women battling to get custody of baby Grace. I really liked Victoria Scott's first novel Patience because it was such a specific story and had links to the author's real life (working in the Gulf states, having a sister with the rare condition of Rett Syndrome) which overcame some of the minor weaknesses in its matter-of-fact writing. This to me wasn't specific enough and so there was less to latch on to. Unlike Patience, I did not feel compelled to finish it.
Highly recommend to anyone who is going through, or has been through the adoption process. This tale shows the process from a different angle. Highly recommend
I wanted to love this book and I really tried but after several failed attempts to get into it, I DNF.
The book Grace takes difficult, sad subjects and weaves something hopeful and full of meaning from them. I loved reading about the journey of two women and discovering more about their backstories, which explained how each of them had arrived at this point in their lives. This book gave me a lot to think about and now I want to read Victoria Scott’s first book, Patience.
A gem of a story that puts you through an emotional wringer.

Michelle really doesn’t have the sort of environment she should bring a new born into. Amelia has suffered deep sadness in her journey to become a mother. Now there’s a baby whose mother wants her to have a better life and a woman with a better life to give a child… but Michelle meets people who care about her and with them by her side, she begins to realise that maybe she can be a good mother after all. But where does that leave ‘foster to adopt’ Amelia, who loves baby Grace with everything she has?

As with Victoria’s first book, Patience, her characters face some horrendous challenges yet hope, kindness and love gets them through.

I loved this story. The main characters are a joy (apart from the couple who aren’t) and I was so invested in the outcome that I had a mental calendar in my head wondering how the timeline might favour one or other character.

Well researched from a technical perspective, the story is also brimful of what feels like incredibly accurate emotional depictions.

It’s a cracker of a story and my only criticism would be that I could happily have spent a little more time with Michelle and Amelia in the epilogue…

Fabulous!

And thank you to #Netgalley and the publisher for this preview copy.
Emotionally challenging! Victoria Scott sends you neck deep into the lives of two women battling for the most precious, Grace. She swings you like a pendulum from Michelle, Grace's teenage birth mother to Amelia, Grace's to-be-adoptive-mother. You reason with both of them and struggle to arrive at a conclusion though the court eventually does. Highly recommended to anyone wanting to gain insight into the hearts and minds of those undergoing the adoption process.

Thanks to the author, publisher and Netgalley for the eARC.
Content Warnings: infertility trauma, loss of a child (stillbirth), sexual assault, domestic violence (physical and mental), classism, drug abuse, suicide attempt

Going into this book, I had a pretty clear image of what it would be, and I was completely right until the end, at which point… This book was honestly a little bizarre for me (but still ultimately an enjoyable read, despite the rough topics being covered).

Grace is the story of Amelia and Michelle, two women who at a surface level would appear completely different. Michelle has just given birth to baby Grace, and is set on giving her up for adoption, recognising that she is not fit to care for a child alone, and with serious misgivings about social service intervention, based on her personal experiences in care. Amelia and her husband have been dealing with infertility, something with which Amelia, who longs to be a mother, is particularly struggling. Amelia and Piers, her husband, become Grace's prospective adoptive parents on a fostering to adopt basis. The novel follows both women as Michelle decides ultimately to contest Grace's adoption.

I liked a lot about this novel. Amelia and Michelle - particularly Michelle - were very well written and developed characters. Neither of them were villainised by the narrative, and I really found myself very invested in them and their stories. As a very character focused book, this was a real selling point. I got so invested in Michelle in particular - even shed a couple tears with her towards the end of the book.

However, I did feel there were a lot of missed opportunities here. The book never explores why Michelle decided against an abortion, which I think could have really added to the discussion the book is trying to have. I also wished the author had done more research into how adoptees feel about adoption and incorporated that into the story. I understand that Grace is a baby here, and Michelle and Amelia are the protagonists, but the emphasis is very heavily on adoption as a means for Amelia to achieve parenthood, not necessarily as doing what is best for a child. I wished that had been a little more nuanced.

The main thing with this novel though, is how absolutely mad I feel like it went towards the 70% mark. Out of nowhere in this story which seems very grounded in reality, everything starts to get a bit soap opera-y, with LOADS of new, absolutely wild information being dropped. The novel's structure swaps between Amelia and Michelle's POVs, and towards the end I really felt like I was reading two totally different books - one a gritty courtroom drama, and the other a telenovela. I stayed invested in both stories (admittedly Michelle's more so) but it did catch me a little off guard and felt a bit weird and off from how grounded the story was for the first half of the book. Also, I hate Piers with everything in me.

All in all, this was a perfectly fine read. It's disjointed nature towards the end put me off a little, but it wasn't a bad book by any means. The ending really made me smile.

Thanks to NetGalley, the publisher, and Victoria Scott for the ARC of Grace.
A really gripping but also heart breaking storyline. Make sure that you have the tissues to hand. Beautiful
I was lucky enough to be given a copy of Patience to read and review last year, so I was delighted to receive a copy of this book by the same author, Victoria Scott. It didn’t disappoint!
It tells the story of baby Grace, who is given up for adoption from birth by her mum, Michelle. The lucky couple who are chosen to be Grace’s foster to adoption family are Amelia and Piers.
Michelle has a sad life - poverty, abuse, domestic violence and drugs. Amelia and Piers have a lovely home and a stable life. What will happen when Michelle begins to regret giving up her baby?
This book is written without judgment and it’s hard to see who will be successful in the battle for Grace. As the book progresses I did feel like I was being slowly guided towards the final decision.
I loved the accuracy of the adoption process in this book. Fiction often makes it out to be quick and easy, and it’s no such thing.
I highly recommend this book.
I thoroughly enjoyed this book, well written and very thought provoking and it explains the pitfalls of adoption and I really engaged with the characters.

Thank you to Netgalley and Head of Zeus for an extremely good book which I can recommend.
The gripping and heartbreaking second novel by the author of Patience….. The storyline kept me glued to my Kindle through the whole book! I definitely recommend reading this book!
A heartbreaking account of a baby's birth mother, and her foster mother. After giving Grace up for adoption, her mother finally rethinks her decision after a series of traumatic events. Through both of the women's POVs, it is hard to decide whose side you're on, which is exactly the point. It's an impossible situation. It was beautifully articulated and proves that no one's life is perfect. I was satisfied with the ending too, would recommend it.
A beautifully written novel. Showing the adoption process from both sides, this was tough subject matter but Victoria Scott approached it with real tenderness and understanding. I
Having loved reading Patience last year, I was thrilled to have an early opportunity to read Grace.

This is a well written and emotional book. Victoria made me feel sympathy for both Amelia and Michelle. A family friend recently went through the adoption route and I know how difficult that was for the couple hoping to adopt, so it was important to see how a woman may feel about giving her child up.

This book covers tough topics including neglect, drug abuse, domestic violence but is written sensitively.. This story looks at both sides - the young mum who feels she cannot give the baby the life it deserves (and that she never had herself) and the older woman who has suffered heartbreak wanting to be a mother..

There are a few twists in the story and I was gripped by this book. Happy to recommend.
Grace explores the tribulations of adoption exploring the various perspectives of those involved. It mostly focuses on two main characters with each chapter alternating between them. Michelle, a young girl with a troubled childhood who has recently given birth to Grace and Amelia, the hopeful mum to be. We also get insight from some of the side characters. What I liked about the book was that it make you think about the adoption process as a whole. It's easy for us to often only see one side of a situation and make quick judgements. A young teenager who got herself pregnant, involved in drugs and bad relationship, she doesn't deserve to be a mother.  A middle class woman, unable to have children, with a comfortable home and a loving husband. This book encouraged you to have empathy for those on both sides and to take a moment to think beyond what you see on the surface. There is always more to someones story, and not everything is as it seems.  On the flip side of this, I felt Victoria tried to build up some suspense with aspects of the story unfolding but I often found it quite predictable.
Such a beautiful and challenging story about the heartache surrounding babies - having them, not having them... And all the challenges of relationships and the long term implications.
I received an ARC, of Grace, by Victoria Scott.  I did not like the subject matter in this book.  It was heavy and depressing.  I did not think any of them should have custody of Grace.
This is Victoria Scott's second novel and I can honestly say that she's getting better and better!!. I really enjoyed this book  from beginning to end!!. Of course once again the story follows a hard topic of adoption which seems to be Victoria's trait and she does it do well!.
The story follows a young woman called Michelle who has not had the best start in life and is expecting her first child. She believes that her baby would be better off with people who can love and look after her and give her everything she could ever want. We then find out about the foster to adopt parents Amelia and Piers.  So we see the struggle that both sides have had and will have when Michelle decides that actually she wants to have her daughter, Grace to live with her.
If you want to read a book that makes you feel part of the story and all sorts of emotions , then this is the book for you!.
Many thanks to Netgalley for the free ARC book for an honest review.
#Netgalley,  #headofzeus, #victoriascottauthor.