Cover Image: Just The Way You Are

Just The Way You Are

Just the Way You Are is a heartwarming story that is full of self-discovery and hope.

Ollie is approaching 30, single and lives up at home with her mum who has full control of her life. Ollie feels like the dreams she held for her life and what it would look like couldn’t be any further away. So she takes the plunge. Without telling her mum she finds herself the perfect cottage and moves out. She then sets on a journey of discovering who she is.

When you start this book you can feel Ollie’s frustration with her life and the control her mother has over her. Because of this you can’t help but cheer for her as she takes steps to break this and find her way and herself.

Moving into End Cottage she has neighbours who support her and helps her on her journey of discovery; Joan, Leanne and Ebenezer. Not only do they support her we learn about them and they also have some important stories that run alongside Ollie’s. And then there’s Sam, the handsome ranger who keeps appearing.

I really enjoyed this story and watch Ollie discover herself and grow as a person. I found that it was motivating and brings so much hope.

This is a warm hug in a book. I can’t wait to read more from Beth.
Just The Way You Are is a book you would read in one sitting and would love it with its cute and adorable characters. It's an ideal uplifting book if you are into a slow-burn friends-to-lovers romance trope.

What I admire the most about this book was when Ollie being sheltered and closely guarded by her mother - manipulated the choices of her entire life because of the trauma her father has caused them. Hence, she made the list for herself, and that made me like her for finally stepping up for herself in making her dreams to fruition.

The way she has stepped up despite the fear hits different. The way she does everything on her list independently but with a little or minor help from Sam is also endearing. Likewise, I have this favorite line from Ollie, "𝘐 𝘸𝘪𝘭𝘭 𝘮𝘢𝘬𝘦 𝘢 𝘵𝘩𝘰𝘶𝘴𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘮𝘪𝘴𝘵𝘢𝘬𝘦𝘴, 𝘐 𝘸𝘪𝘭𝘭 𝘵𝘢𝘬𝘦 𝘮𝘢𝘯𝘺 𝘸𝘳𝘰𝘯𝘨 𝘵𝘶𝘳𝘯𝘴, 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘐 𝘮𝘢𝘺 𝘸𝘦𝘭𝘭 𝘧𝘢𝘪𝘭 𝘴𝘱𝘦𝘤𝘵𝘢𝘤𝘶𝘭𝘢𝘳𝘭𝘺, 𝘢𝘭𝘰𝘯𝘨 𝘸𝘪𝘵𝘩 𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘳𝘺 𝘰𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘳 𝘱𝘦𝘳𝘴𝘰𝘯 𝘸𝘩𝘰 𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘳 𝘭𝘪𝘷𝘦𝘥. 𝘈𝘯𝘥 𝘸𝘩𝘦𝘯 𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘴𝘦 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘨𝘴 𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘱𝘦𝘯, 𝘐 𝘸𝘪𝘭𝘭 𝘴𝘩𝘢𝘬𝘦 𝘪𝘵 𝘰𝘧𝘧 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘨𝘦𝘵 𝘣𝘢𝘤𝘬 𝘶𝘱 𝘢𝘨𝘢𝘪𝘯 - 𝘮𝘢𝘺𝘣𝘦 𝘢𝘤𝘤𝘦𝘱𝘵𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘢 𝘩𝘦𝘭𝘱𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘩𝘢𝘯𝘥, 𝘪𝘧 𝘐 𝘯𝘦𝘦𝘥 𝘪𝘵 - 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘸𝘪𝘭𝘭 𝘬𝘦𝘦𝘱 𝘰𝘯𝘨𝘰𝘪𝘯𝘨."

Still, what I least like from the book was there were some parts a bit draggy that I skimmed read it. But, it does not mean that the writing was bad because it is not. I certainly enjoy the writing and the plot of the book regardless of whether they have been draggy.

Overall, this is ideal for an uplifting romance. The slow-burn romance of the characters will make you go swooning and rooting for them.

Rating: 3.75 stars (rounded to 4)
A 4 star delight that had me smiling and laughing as well as shedding silent tears, all the feels in Just The Way You Are by Beth Moran.

Olivia - Ollie - is in her late twenties and living with her mother. After years of feeling tied down emotionally, Ollie  reaches boiling point and moves out on her own and is determined to follow through with her Dream List, a list Ollie made during her teenage years and has been unable to achieve due to the emotional tie with her mother.

We are introduced to a myriad of lovable characters who all add to the storyline in their own fun and quirky way, with my heartstrings pulled a few times throughout. Sam, a local forest Ranger meets Ollie and they develop a friendship that has its ups and downs, but also provides for a slow-burning chemistry and attraction towards one another.

Just The away You Are is a closed door romance, with kissing scenes and lots of heartwarming moments.

4 stars ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

This just wasn't to me taste. I didn't really care for the story or the characters. I picked this up anticipating a romance and but it ended up being a relatively small part of the overall story.
I give this a 2.5, rounded up to 3.
I didn't like the mother daughter dynamic with the main character and I didn't really like the main character's best friend either.
My favorite character was definitely Joan!!
Some parts in the middle were a little boring, but I'm glad the story had a happy ending.
Thanks NetGalley for letting me read this ARC!
3.5 ⭐️‘S rounded up to 4

This book is definitely one that gave me all the feels. It was heartwarming whilst not being cringey and the perfect balance of deep and light hearted.

One thing I would definitely say about this one is that classifying it as a romance definitely isn’t reflective of what’s at the core of the story. For me I would certainly say it’s more of a woman’s fiction that explores relationships in all of their many forms.

My favourite thing about this one was definitely the characters and the bonds that were formed throughout. I could really relate to some of the topics explored and the challenges the characters were faced with and I felt so pleased that they all had each other. It actually reminded me of The Authenticity Project a little bit in the way it saw the coming together of characters that wouldn’t normally cross paths.

I did feel this book was maybe a little bit longer than it needed to be and some of the side characters just completely unnecessary to the essence of the story to allow the focus to really be on the key elements. It’s not one where I’d chop the end off as the story kept unfolding until the end but instead remove paragraphs from within.

Overall I really enjoyed this one and despite it feeling a bit long at times I certainly wasn’t disappointed with the character development and the strong bonded friendships demonstrated in this one. I wouldn’t pick it up if you want something solely focussed on romance as that is a secondary element but I would definitely recommend if you are wanting something a little different and easy to read.
I loved Beth Moran’s writing style in “We Belong Together” so I knew I’d enjoy this book but I wasn’t expecting to love it as much as I did. Beth Moran has a way of writing characters that steal my heart.
This was an incredibly uplifting, heart-warming story about friends and family and, most importantly, finding yourself. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and I know it will stick with me for a long time.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for providing me with this eARC.
Just the Way You Are tells the story of Ollie, who decides to move out of her childhood home just before her 30th birthday as part of completing her “Dream List”. Supporting characters Sam, Joan, and Ebenezer have their own history and struggles to tell which add to the story. A feel good read with a few dark moments.
Thank you to NetGalley and Boldwood Books.

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Thank you Beth Moran, Boldwood books and Rachel’s random resources for gifting me a digital copy of just the way you are in exchange for an honest review. This is book J in my #atozreadingchallenge
I really enjoyed this book; it filled my heart with joy throughout following Ollie on the biggest decision of her life. The community she built for herself improving not only her own life but those around her. I enjoyed all of the characters but by far my favourite was Joan a firecracker of a kid who had my heart from her first appearance. This is a book that will live with me for a while and is one that I will definitely read again.
This was a slow and steady book that I found endearing at first but then it started to feel dragged out. I felt that it was trying to do too much- each storyline could have easily been it’s own book.
This was such a fun read. Our main character, Ollie, was such a delight! I liked her right from the start. She was funny, sweet, and so relatable. There were so many funny moments throughout the book that had me laughing so hard. The only reason I took away one star was because the romance took quite some time to come to live. It felt like forever to have the main characters kiss. Really loved this coming of age novel!
This book was uplifting and inspirational! Ollie sets out on an adventure that helps her find herself and discover her likes and dislikes. She uses a list she crafted several years ago to achieve her goals and dreams.

We are introduced to a whole cast of characters who make this a great book. I loved that the heroine was able to develop all these friendships and the support the characters gave to each other.

I would have preferred if the story was told from dual point of view, I just find it harder to read stories in single POV because I feel like I am missing out on a whole side of a story. What was missing for me was more romance.
Olivia Tennyson, or Ollie to her friends, wrote the Dream List when she was sixteen years old- all the things she wants to do with her Dream Man, including getting a dog, taking dance classes and camping in the wilderness. However, at twenty-nine, single Ollie is living with her hypochondriac and manipulative mother feeling like her dreams are getting further from coming to fruition.

With the help of her aunt, Linda, and best friend, Steph, Ollie begins to put in place everything she needs to start her new life, starting with moving out to her own place. To keep her on track, Ollie and Steph write up the No Man-Mandate, a list of things she cannot do (with a man) until she has completed her Dream List and, as such, worked on herself.

Ollie is trying so hard to balance it all but as much as she loves spending time with Joan, the child next door-but-one, and Sam, the forest ranger she just keeps bumping into, she is determined to help herself as well as others.

It takes a while for the real humour to come through in this book. When it does, it makes good use of the many embarrassing situations to create genuine comedy that then transitions smoothly into heartfelt, profound circumstances. As such, there is meaningful character development that makes you root for them.

The pacing is very fast, which was contributed to by the use of indirect speech that sped through many of the secondary events. Also with the writing, I found it lacked subtly, using blunt statements to detail character backstories rather than it being well-integrated into the narrative.

There was the occasional logistical element that took me out of the story, such as there is only a six-week period between Ollie viewing a house and receiving the keys for it. Likewise, Ollie does have problems in her life but it's difficult to fully care for her as she is surrounded by those (i.e. Steph & Leanne) who are in far worse circumstances. As a result, you recognise her difficulties but can't help finding Ollie a bit insipid.

Overall, a nice story, one that's easy to read and I'm glad I pushed through my initial issues (writing style) because the plot is fun. Plus, I greatly appreciate that this doesn't feature an epilogue thrown on just because it's conventional!
4.5⭐️
Loved the story! A slow burn romance with lots of real, struggling and at times dysfunctional people who are sharing their lives with us. I loved Sam, he was just my type of boyfriend. I also enjoyed Ollie and her journey to start living again. I thought her to be a wonderful friend. And I struggle with a lot of the same things. I think I’m going to make my own dream list.
I loved the writing and I highly recommend it.
Thanks Boldwood Books via NetGalley.
I really felt sorry for the main character Ollie, in this book. Her mother won't let her live her own life and feigns an illness if Ollie tries to do something. Well written and I will be reading more of Beth's works.
I gave this story a 4 stars rating since I like the pace and story. The romance is okay. I was more into Ollie’s journey for independence than the romance. It was fun to read how she became independent from her mother. The romance was cute and very obvious. It would also be okay if the story did not have a romantic ending. Knowing that Ollie is an independent woman and her mother being friends again was a good ending for me. It was a bonus that she ended up with someone.
Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for an early review copy.

Fabulous

A book which I enjoyed from beginning to end. It was lovely meeting the characters which Beth created. The story, had both  romance and learning about yourself, along with issues that happens in our lives such as mental health and abusive relationships as well as others. But still giving you escapism in the book.

The story is about the main character finding who she is and about taking a stand for herself..

The other characters added to the story but not in an overwhelming way for the reader..

Recommend this Book.
I love Beth Moran, and was very exited to get her latest book, which didn't disappoint at all!
I LOVED the fact that the romance is not the main theme of this book and there is so  much more to it. It's a story about life with a lot of true characters and interesting topics. Poignant and funny at the same time, brilliantly written, absolutely recommended!

Thank you to NetGalley and Boldwood Books for providing me with an ARC in exchange for an honest review.
This was a truly touching read about a woman, Ollie, who has had a toxic relationship with her mother for most of her 29 years. Ollie is determined to live her own life and get out from under her mother's thumb. But, first she needs to figure out how. With the help of friends, neighbors, and a certain park ranger, she fulfills her Dream List and prepares to enter her 30s as a strong, independent woman. I laughed and I cried and I thoroughly enjoyed this book! .

Thank you to Boldwood Books and NetGalley for the opportunity to read a digital ARC in return for an honest review.
𝗝𝘂𝘀𝘁 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗪𝗮𝘆 𝗬𝗼𝘂 𝗔𝗿𝗲 𝗕𝘆 𝗕𝗲𝘁𝗵 𝗠𝗼𝗿𝗮𝗻

𝐎𝐥𝐥𝐢𝐞 𝐓𝐞𝐧𝐧𝐲𝐬𝐨𝐧 𝐢𝐬 𝐚𝐛𝐨𝐮𝐭 𝐭𝐨 𝐛𝐞 𝟑𝟎 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐬𝐭𝐢𝐥𝐥 𝐥𝐢𝐯𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐚𝐭 𝐡𝐨𝐦𝐞, 𝐚𝐟𝐫𝐚𝐢𝐝 𝐭𝐨 𝐥𝐞𝐚𝐯𝐞 𝐡𝐞𝐫 𝐦𝐚𝐧𝐢𝐩𝐮𝐥𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐯𝐞 𝐦𝐨𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐬𝐭𝐚𝐫𝐭 𝐚 𝐥𝐢𝐟𝐞 𝐨𝐟 𝐡𝐞𝐫 𝐨𝐰𝐧. 𝐖𝐢𝐭𝐡 𝐦𝐨𝐭𝐢𝐯𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧 𝐟𝐫𝐨𝐦 𝐡𝐞𝐫 𝐝𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐦 𝐥𝐢𝐬𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐬𝐡𝐞 𝐰𝐫𝐨𝐭𝐞 𝐰𝐡𝐞𝐧 𝐬𝐡𝐞 𝐰𝐚𝐬 𝐬𝐢𝐱𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧, 𝐬𝐡𝐞 𝐬𝐞𝐭𝐬 𝐨𝐮𝐭 𝐭𝐨 𝐬𝐭𝐚𝐫𝐭 𝐚 𝐥𝐢𝐟𝐞 𝐨𝐟 𝐡𝐞𝐫 𝐨𝐰𝐧 𝐭𝐫𝐲𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐭𝐨 𝐛𝐞 𝐬𝐞𝐥𝐟 𝐝𝐞𝐩𝐞𝐧𝐝𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐡𝐨𝐮𝐭 𝐡𝐞𝐫 "𝐝𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐦 𝐦𝐚𝐧".

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐥𝐥𝐞𝐧𝐠𝐞𝐬 𝐚𝐫𝐢𝐬𝐞 𝐚𝐬 𝐬𝐡𝐞 𝐛𝐞𝐟𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐧𝐝𝐬 𝐚 𝐬𝐭𝐫𝐮𝐠𝐠𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐦𝐨𝐦 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐝𝐚𝐮𝐠𝐡𝐭𝐞𝐫, 𝐭𝐫𝐲𝐬 𝐭𝐨 𝐧𝐚𝐯𝐢𝐠𝐚𝐭𝐞 𝐚 '𝐩𝐥𝐚𝐭𝐨𝐧𝐢𝐜' 𝐫𝐞𝐥𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧𝐬𝐡𝐢𝐩 𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐡 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐥𝐨𝐜𝐚𝐥 𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐞𝐬𝐭 𝐫𝐚𝐧𝐠𝐞𝐫, 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐰𝐫𝐞𝐬𝐭𝐥𝐞𝐬 𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐡 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐠𝐮𝐢𝐥𝐭 𝐨𝐟 𝐛𝐥𝐨𝐜𝐤𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐡𝐞𝐫 𝐦𝐨𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫.

⭐️⭐️⭐️💫/5

𝘞𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘐 𝘭𝘰𝘷𝘦𝘥
🤍Ollie's Character: she was so easy to connect with right from the start. My heart ached for her as she tried to do what was best for herself and set boundaries with her Mother.
🤍Ollie and Joan's relationship: Their friendship was so natural. It was really the best relationship in the story.

𝘞𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘐 𝘋𝘪𝘥𝘯'𝘵 𝘭𝘰𝘷𝘦
🤍The characters in the reading lessons, I feel like their chapters could have easily been cut out without much of a change to the story over all.
🤍Although, I loved Sam and his budding romance with Ollie, this really took a backseat and it didn't feel like a Romance to me as much as a side plot.

Thank you @netgalley for sending me a copy 🙏