Cover Image: Equinox

Equinox

It was an okay read. It was definitely an interesting concept and I think it was well executed. I just didn't feel that invested in the story and I didn't really care for the characters. It wasn't bad I just never really felt that I got into it. It took some time to understand where the plot was going and I felt confused for almost the entire first half of the book. The second half of the book was great and I liked the ending.
Overall an okay book. I would definitely try more of David Towseys books.
Couldn’t get into the book and the main character wasn't someone I could root for. The writing took me out of the setting several times
I am sorry for the inconvenience but I don’t have the time to read this anymore and have lost interest in the concept. I believe that it would benefit your book more if I did not skim your book and write a rushed review. Again, I am sorry for the inconvenience.
Although I enjoyed the book it isn't something I would go back and read again so this is how I landed on a 3 star.
Body-swapping and sorcery!

A paranormal story with an interesting twist!
An interesting read following dual perspectives. It was slow to start, but ramped up towards the end. Thank you NetGalley and the publisher for granting me access to an e-arc.
Towsey has created an intriguing concept of a day and night version of one’s self.  Living in a past timeline these ‘brothers’ must battle the evils out to tear them apart and all around them.

Beautifully written, dark and foreboding.
The premise of this book drew me in and it did not disappoint. In a world where everyone has a day self and night self who can interact if necessary but with difficulty travelling to hunt a killer is an ambitious objective.

I loved the world building of this book and it was always very clear whose story we were following. I did at times struggle with who the counterpart of day and night was for the other characters but a quick list sorted that out.

The immersive storytelling had me staying up late to finish the book and I would love to see more set in this world.
Unfortunately this book was not for me, it was a bit slower than I would like and it just didn't hold my attention. I am sure other people will love it!
I read 100 pages of this book back in April and have been debating whether to leave feedback since. Unfortunately this book didn't work for me. After those 100 pages, I had no attachment to the characters, story or world, nor did I feel like there was any drive to continue with it. I can't quite pinpoint it, but the book felt like there was an emotional layer missing, and was a very dry experience.
It’s now been far too long since I actually read this book, and this post has been sitting unwritten in my drafts since May. I enjoyed reading this book, but I found myself at the end struggling to say much about it… the stand out thing is still what drew me to the story in the first place, which is the fact that it’s set in a world in which every body hosts two separate personalities: their day self and their night self. Some lead similar lives on both sides of the sunrise, but many are wildly different, and the main characters Christophor and Alexsander definitely fit into this category. Christophor is one of the king’s Special Inspectors; stern, by the book, and used to dealing with difficult and unpleasant situations. His day-brother Alexsander is a free spirit, a musician who knows how to navigate the levels of society and charm his way anywhere.

When Christophor is called to investigate a particularly gruesome crime believed to be cause by magic, it’s impossible to keep Alexsander completely separate from the unfolding events, and the two will have to work together in spite of their disagreements if they want to make it through. The earlier chapters are all told from Christophor’s perspective, and the only hints of his day-brother are in the faded thoughts and feelings he wakes up with at sunset. Then, things shift and we start seeing things from Alexsander’s point of view as well, which adds an extra layer to the narrative.

I have to say that, after the first part of the investigation which involved a lot more action and some death, it seemed to just become about the brothers interacting with the townsfolk and being constantly suspicious. It did begin to drag… and I will also admit to having skimmed the final chapters, where all the action occurred, because by that point I was no longer invested in the build up, and it all happened a little too suddenly. So, in short, it was an excellent premise with some very good vibes, but the story itself left me disappointed.
This fantasy novel is based in a world where everybody is actually two people - a day and a night version.

Christopher Morden is one of the King’s witch hunters and he is called to investigate the death of a young prisoner.  His investigation takes him to a village on the edge of the kingdom where paranormal incidents are increasing, resulting in more deaths.

The premise was exciting - one person living two separate lives with two completely different personalities.  However, the characters were boring, the plot line was slightly confusing for the first part of the book.

Was an interesting read, but I don’t think I would bother with a follow up novel.
Equinox by David Towsey

3.5 STARS

An interesting and unique concept of the duality of man - quite literally. It's the sort of book that you'll either like or won't but if you're into sci-fi and fantasy then it's worth a read.
A truly extraordinary story with one of the most original ideas I have ever read. This is a story of an alternate seventeenth century England where 2 distinct people share the same body, one by day and one by night, and where they eat a magical leaf to draw a line between day and night characters. It is a murder mystery like no other. The author  tells the story as naturally as if this world and its magic was familiar to us all and it adds to the sense of mystery in the story.
I recommend this story to anyone, it is so different to anything else out there and it draws you in and won't let go.
A gripping read with a novel concept. . Imagine a world where two beings share a human body: One inhabits it during the day, the other at night. Both lead different lives, have different careers and personalities. In our case, we explore the life of the day-born musician and hedonist Alexander and the night-born Special Inspector Christophor Morden. Then, add some pretty dark witchcraft, the threat of war and you have a unique and mysterious story.

Though I enjoyed the concept, it took a little longer for me to get into this than I normally would. Things started to really speed up when the two 'brothers' moved onto the same goal, but until then I struggled a little to keep up.

Overall an engaging and dark paranormal mystery!
Equinox provides plenty of thrills and exciting ideas. Imagine a world where two beings share a human body: One inhabits it during the day, the other at night. Both lead different lives, have different careers and personalities. The protagonists of Equinox, the day-born musician and hedonist Alexander and the night-born Special Inspector Christophor Morden, are drawn into a witchhunt.

They must act quickly or sorcery may spark a serious conflict and perhaps even war. The investigation takes place in the small town of Drakenford. The Brothers' different lifestyles often clash, and Alexander's naivete gets in the way of progress. I loved the concept of two beings sharing the body and Towsey's exploration of such bizarre life is fascinating.

The dark and dangerous magic is fascinating, but since its nature is revealed slowly I don't think I should spoil it for you. Suffice to say, I found it unique and scary. Equinox is a standalone and as such it impressed me with the amount of world-building seamlessly woven into the narrative. Of course, there are a few info dumps here, but that didn't bother me much.
Christophor Morden is a King’s Special Inspector, who specialises in cases where witchcraft is suspected. Early one evening, Christophor is summoned to the city’s St Leonars prison, where he finds a young man who has gouged his own eyeballs out. On closer examination, it seems that there are teeth growing in the sockets that once held them. Unable to dodge the duty, Christophor is ordered to the the young man’s hometown, the distant Drekenford, to see if he can get to the bottom of this unholy affliction. There’s only one problem: Christophor’s day-brother Alexsander, a musician and professional layabout, will be unhappy about the move, but he may prove more useful than Christophor might have imagined. This is no bad thing: Christopher and Alexsander share a single body, one living by night, the other by day, so it’s going to taken some cooperation to solve this conundrum.

David Towsey’s latest novel takes as to the kingdom of Reikova, whose inhabitants have a very distinctive trait: each body holds two distinct souls; one who inhabits the daylight hours, the other coming to the fore in darkness.

I have seen the sun, despite what my day-brother might say.

This, before we even delve into the details of the story, is a stroke of genius and adds a whole new dimension to the fantasy / crime mashup genre for which Towsey is aiming. Within a handful of pages we understand the premise as well as most of the rules. There’s no overthinking it here: the person chews the leaves of the etienne plant, goes to bed, and wakes up as somebody else. When do the bodies rest? We don’t care. Can these “brothers” and “sisters” communicate with each other? Yes, but it takes a bit of effort. Simple! To spice things up a bit, day and night people aren’t necessarily married to the same people and, for the most part, follow different career paths. The most difficult thing to get our heads around, as the reader, is the concept of time, and the fact that much of the action takes place in the wee hours of the morning.

The story is, thankfully, worthy of this excellent plot device. Christophor is our guide for the first half of the proceedings, while Alexsander takes over for the second half, for reasons that become apparent as we near the climax. Reikova is a pre-industrial world not unlike our own and Drekenford is a small town where nothing goes unnoticed and everyone knows everyone else’s business. When locals begin dying following the Mordens’ arrival, it soon becomes apparent that something evil resides in Drekenford, and Christophor is determined to get to the bottom of the puzzle before the King’s new war arrives in the town.

Deftly mixing fantasy and crime, David Towsey has presented us with a fresh new world with an unusual twist. The crime element is well thought out, and keeps the reader guessing throughout. The central character(s) really resonate, and so we find ourselves in their corner, even when they seem to be at odds with each other. There’s a lot here to like and I, for one, am hoping for more stories set in this world, and maybe even a glimpse or two at Christophor’s younger days, when he was, presumably, at the height of his craft. Fantasy needs to have something special to grab me, to set itself apart from the multitude. Equinox has it in spades, and I would highly recommend it to everyone.
The evil of the story was obscure and ambiguous, just how I like it. But was it too much so? I really liked this book, but something things made me double take. Still, 4 stars didn't feel quite right.
By David Towsey

Published by Head of Zeus in May 2022

In this world, two souls inhabit a single body, one by day, one by night. But though they live alongside one another, their ends do not always align. For Special Inspector Morden, whose hunt for a dangerous witch takes him far from home, this will be a problem...

Christophor Morden lives by night. His day-brother, Alexsander, knows only the sun. They are two souls in a single body, in a world where identities change with the rising and setting of the sun. Night-brother or day-sister, one never sees the light, the other knows nothing of the night.

Early one evening, Christophor is roused by a call to the city prison. A prisoner has torn his eyes out and cannot say why. Yet worse: in the sockets that once held his eyes, teeth are growing. The police suspect the supernatural, so Christophor, a member of the king's special inspectorate, is charged with finding the witch responsible.

Night-by-night, Christophor's investigation leads him ever further from home, toward a backwards village on the far edge of the kingdom. But the closer he gets to the truth, the more his day-brother's actions frustrate him. Who is Alexsander protecting? What does he not want Christophor to discover?

And all the while, an ancient and apocalyptic ritual creeps closer to completion...

Short Version: Really enjoyable fantasy crime story with a bit of horror mixed in.

Long Version:

I loved Tales of Fenest and when I heard one half of the writing team behind that had written a new fantasy story, I was immediately interested and I was not disappointed.  This is an interesting story set in an intriguing world.

Plot:  The plot is both straightforward (think typical detective story) and really quite complicated when you add in the unique world characteristics. Together it gave me a plot that was both familiar and new, and for me, it really worked.

Characters:  The work that has been put into the characters is incredible, the way that you have two people in each body that may or may not get along and that may or may not work towards the same ends, it feels really unique and clever and opens up a whole myriad of complexities and questions.  I found it best to just accept it and read on because if I thought to much about it, I had too many questions that weren’t answered and probably need a whole other book or 3.

I thought all the characters were treated with the same level of respect, none of them felt 2 dimensional and interactions felt natural.

Settings:  The settings were all used really nicely as important parts of the story - not quite characters in their own right but definitely more than just background.  I had no problems visualising any of the places.

World Building:  I really enjoyed the world building, it is different and interesting.  I think some people will be frustrated by the lack of explanations on how it all works, to be honest, half of me sits in that camp but the other half of me likes having a lot of unanswered questions, so I think each readers millage will vary on this.

Prose:  Really well written, the prose serves the story and never gets in the way.

Pace:  Pitched just right and bang on with the beats of the story.

Ending:  Mostly satisfying with a little bit of me going “but…hang on….what about….?”

Who Would Love This:  This definitely has echoes of / a similar vibe to Fenest so if you liked that series then you’ll love this.  People who like their fantasy a bit different and fans of Pete Newman’s Deathless trilogy should enjoy this.
Thank you NetGalley for a chance to read Equinox.

The description of this book sounds phenomenal but I just couldn’t get into it for some reason. I started and stopped this book multiple times and just didn’t feel pulled into the story. I will give 3 stars just for how well it was written, but I couldn’t finish the book. However, I’m a mood reader so this happens sometimes. I do plan on trying again in the future because the premise and the other reviews sound good.