Cover Image: The Murder List

The Murder List

This book was not my favorite, and had I not gotten it as an ARC in exchange for a review, I probably would have DNF.

I found myself very bored with the storyline.. I feel like it had a lot of promise but it just took so long for the book to go anywhere. I didn't find myself interested until about chapter 30 (of 50 - so more than halfway) and even then it was half hearted.

There were a few twists that I think were okay.. but over all this one fell flat for me.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for an advanced copy in exchange for an honest review.
โ€˜๐™”๐™ค๐™ช ๐™ ๐™ฃ๐™ค๐™ฌ ๐™จ๐™ค๐™ข๐™š๐™ฉ๐™๐™ž๐™ฃ๐™œ ๐™๐™š ๐™™๐™ค๐™š๐™จ๐™ฃโ€™๐™ฉ ๐™ ๐™ฃ๐™ค๐™ฌ. ๐™”๐™ค๐™ช ๐™ ๐™ฃ๐™ค๐™ฌ ๐™จ๐™ค๐™ข๐™š๐™ฉ๐™๐™ž๐™ฃ๐™œ ๐™ฃ๐™ค๐™—๐™ค๐™™๐™ฎ ๐™ ๐™ฃ๐™ค๐™ฌ๐™จ. ๐˜ผ๐™ฃ๐™™ ๐™ฉ๐™๐™š๐™ง๐™šโ€™๐™จ ๐™ค๐™ฃ๐™ก๐™ฎ ๐™ค๐™ฃ๐™š ๐™ฌ๐™–๐™ฎ ๐™ฎ๐™ค๐™ช ๐™Ÿ๐™ช๐™จ๐™ฉ ๐™ข๐™ž๐™œ๐™๐™ฉ ๐™œ๐™š๐™ฉ ๐™ฎ๐™ค๐™ช๐™ง๐™จ๐™š๐™ก๐™› ๐™ค๐™ช๐™ฉ ๐™ค๐™› ๐™ฉ๐™๐™ž๐™จ.โ€™

Iโ€™d seen this one around and only heard good things, so was super excited to give it a try - it did not disappoint!

The concept was really clever and I was super intrigued by it. The plot flowed really well and was very fast paced and interested for the majority of the book. The constant feel of fear of whatโ€™s to come really came through and made it an exciting read.

So many twists and turns throughout - some complete shockers too. It really did keep me on my toes throughout! I enjoyed Maryโ€™s character and think she was really well developed. Equally, some great side characters who added depth to the plot.

For me, the ending was a little lacklustre - a bit of an anticlimax. That said, the very final twist was clever and I did like how that played out.

Overall it was a very interesting and gripping thriller. I would definitely recommend it and Iโ€™m excited to read more from the author.
A really neat idea for a crime novel, which is cleverly executed. The writing flowed; becoming almost invisible by the intricacies of the plot. A clever read.
Make sure that you clear your diary, forget bedtime and leave yourself ready to absorb this brilliant, well-plotted thriller.  I was entranced from the first chapter and could not stop reading until I had finished it.  Unfortunately life gets in the way, but I was always very keen to return to it.
So glad to read a good book, as I have had a few lately that have left me feeling cold about them.

Really well written and a plot that keeps you guessing throughout.
Brilliant book.
Wow, this book! it was definitely a wild ride! I think that for anyone who loves a good thriller, this is for you! It did take me a little bit to get into the book but once I did, wow I needed to finish it! There's a bit of police procedural in here and I really loved that addition. Very good for anyone who likes a mystery and has trouble figuring out who the killer could be!

Thank you NetGalley and HarperCollins One More Chapter for the advance reader copy!
The Murder List by Jackie Kabler is a thriller based on an interesting premise.  Mary receives a blank diary as a Christmas present and sets it aside for a bit.  When she looks through it a couple weeks later, she realizes that someone has written a murder list on the first day of each month with a name and a city.  And, to make matters worse, her name and city is written on April 1st.  She immediately takes the diary to the police and starts trying to figure out who would want to kill her.  This book was really a lot of fun to read since it was so unique.  It really kept me guessing, and I enjoyed it a lot.  Thanks to NetGalley for the free digital review copy.  All opinions are my own.
Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for allowing me the opportunity to read and review this novel. I am rating this book based the stars due to lack of time to leave a full review.
This book did not disappoint! It had great twist and turns , love the mystery! I also loved the main character! What a great thriller book!
This book kept me on my toes. The premise is so interesting, once I got into the rhythm of the writing, I could not put the book down. Loved Mary as the main character as well, she was easy to connect with.
This is the second novel Iโ€™ve read by this author, having previously been invited onto the blog tour for โ€˜The Happy Familyโ€™.

Itโ€™s fair to say, this story had me gripped from the outset! When a mysterious diary is sent to Mary Ellis detailing a series of murders set to take place, with the final one potentially her own, the race is on to find the killer.

The chapters jump between Maryโ€™s perspective and the meetings between the relevant police forces involved in the case and itโ€™s interesting to see the story unfold this way as each team is as baffled as the next as to the killerโ€™s motive.

There is undoubtedly an added twist to Maryโ€™s story which I wonโ€™t spoil for readers here, but it makes for an exhilarating end and I confess to definitely feeling the tension in some of the final chapters!

Brilliantly written, with plenty of surprise twists and turns and a great build up of suspense at the climax. Highly recommended!

With thanks to the author, Rachel at Random Resources and One More Chapter publishing for the opportunity to participate in the tour.
When Mary Ellis receives a seemingly innocent diary for Christmas, she doesn't think anything of it. Gathering donations for the charity shop in January, she grabs the diary and flicks through. Realising there are 4 months marked, she looks closer. 4 months, 4 murders. The first has already happened - and the last is hers.

I love these 'murder list' style stories! They have such a way of gripping me, making me wonder who it is / what the connection is. This one did not disappoint!

A fantastic story that had me hooked the whole way through - I did not expect the killer OR the secret! An absolute shocker of a story!
This book hooked me in right from the beginning, it was fast paced and twisty and such an enjoyable read I got just past 60% and it lost me, I felt the pace really dropped and I was less invested. The end wasnโ€™t to my liking either but thatโ€™s subjective
Mary, a free lance crime writer, receives a diary for Christmas but she doesnโ€™t take the time to look at it until the end of January.  When she does, instead of blank pages, she finds a list of four dates with four first names and an indication that each will be murdered at the beginning of each successive month.  January 1st has already passed and Mary realizes the name in the diary is a woman who was murdered on that day.  Moreover, the last name on the list is Mary.

Wow!  What a great set-up.  Now Mary is racing against time, with the help of the authorities, to try and figure out if she is an intended victim and what, if any, are the ties between the names.

The Murder List is fast-paced, twisty, and unpredictable.  The characters are well-defined and varied, and the plot is stellar.  Many readers, like myself, will not be able to determine who the killer is until the very end.  All in all, this psychological thriller is entertaining and so very hard to put down.  I thoroughly enjoyed it and I will be on the lookout for the next book by Jackie Kabler.

Many thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for providing a copy of this book for review.
A fast past and intriguing read.
From page one I was hooked and I liked how complex the characters were and it always threw me off as to who it could be. So many twists and turns that keeps you guessing and it is a page turner
Even if the concept is not totally original it was well developed, entertaining and gripping.
The author did an excellent job in developing a gripping and twisty plot that kept me on the edge.
It's the first book I read by this author and won't surely be the last.
Recommended.
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC, all opinions are mine
Loved this book! I thought i had it all figured out from the beginning, but all my suspicions were wrong. It truly surprised me. I canโ€™t say much without giving things away, but the final twists really changed everything! Love Jackie Kabler and definitely recommend this book.
The murder list by Jackie Kabler is a fast paced who done it with a list of suspects longer than an Agatha Christie!

The premise, Mary is a crime writing journalist and finds she has been given a list of 4 first names , cites and dates of murder victims, the problems is 3 of the dates are in the future and she's on the list.

Due to her crime writing background and the lack of success with the police, she sets about sleuthing her own would be murderer.

I read this as part of a readalong which was certaining entertaining, everyone was a suspect at some point! There were all sorts of motives thrown around and some fantastical situations imagined. The book certainly makes the most of the red herring.

The characters were difficult to gel with as they were all a bit suspicious.  Pete,  Mary's best friend and flatmate since university seemed like a close friend then found to be in the vicinity of the first few murders.  Edward, Satish and Elanor her colleagues at a hot desk office. Mary doesn't know enough about either of them but some of their actions get them on that suspect list!

I really enjoyed reading this book, it certainly made me involved in the hunt for the suspect. The motive on the other hand, I'm not sure it would stand up to Christie scrutiny.  There is another main plot line which begins as a twist in the middle of the book which I did enjoy. It filled Mary's character with purpose and certainly surprised.

Overall I would recommend this book to those who like a cosy mystery, or those interested in more psychological thrillers. It's a fast paced, easy to read mystery, can you solve who wrote the murder list? 4*

Thanks to Netgalley and One More Chapter for the ARC and access to the readalong.
The book was fast paced and kept me engrossed throughout. It definitely kept me guessing till the end and even though I found the end slightly disappointing, it was a great read.
Mary received a diary with a difference when she realises it isnโ€™t any ordinary present. Itโ€™s not blank, but on the first of each month, January to April, are womenโ€™s names and cities. April may seem to be the cruellest month for Mary when her name and home city, Cheltenham, is pencilled in for April 1. Thinking itโ€™s a sick joke, she wants to ignore itโ€ฆ thatโ€™s until a murder of Lisa from Oxford is announced, killed on January 1. Is there a killer out there planning to commit a new murder on the first of each month? Is the Mary mentioned in mere weeks time her? Partnering with the police, she sets out to discover whatโ€™s going on and who is responsible, at times not trusting the people closest to her. Letโ€™s just say that not everyone is telling the truth about what they knowโ€ฆ The plot twist is especially impressive and will make you keep reading.
The Murder List is a taut, tense thriller that will keep you on your toes until the very end. It's a fast-paced and engaging, and you won't want to put it down.
The story follows Mary, a crime writer, who receives a diary as a gift. Thinking she'll never use it but not wanting to be rude, she opens it to find out who sent it so she can thank them. Only, Mary now realizes there's more to the diary than she expected. Inside, she finds names, locations, and dates. Once a month, someone will die. And on April 1st, Mary from Cheltenham will be murdered. But is she the Mary on the list, or is there someone else at risk? Who sent the diary, and why did it come to Mary specifically? Can Mary help the police uncover the truth behind the murder list before it's too late?
I really enjoyed this book. It's definitely one of those stories that keeps you guessing right up until the end. And for me, I honestly had no idea where the story would go. I was just as confused as Mary and the police while trying to untangle the web of mystery. But I enjoyed that aspect, because I enjoyed being surprised by how it all played out.
If you're a fan of thrillers/mysteries, definitely check out The Murder List.
4.5 stars!