Cover Image: The Murder List

The Murder List

Wow this was a wild ride. I absolutely loved the concept of this book, Mary Ellis receives a diary for Christmas and inside are the names of 4 people with the dates of their murders and one of the victims is her...
There are so many twists and turns in this book. It's a who dunnit murder mystery and a race against time to catch a killer, but there's also a really interesting back story which will keep you guessing.
I tried so hard to guess the killer and still got it wrong! The ending is intense and will have you holding your breathe.
Thank you One More Chapter for the gifted copy.
This was a five star read up to the final few chapters. Even then I have to admit I did enjoy reading it just that the author took it one step too far so stopped£ me liking Mary at all. I can’t say more without spoiling the story and it’s well worth the read to find out if you agre3 with me.
There are blurbs on the back of some books that quite literally blow my mind when I read them. This one did it for me.
The Murder List by author Jackie Kabler is a psychological thriller that will intrigue you, grip you and keep you guessing until the very
end.
Imagine finding a diary with the name of a person that has been murdered recently in it and then reading ahead to find more names
and places of murders about to take place. Now imagine your name is on that list.
Wouldn’t that be absolutely terrifying? Watching, waiting and suspecting everyone you meet.
We meet a young woman Mary in this story. Mary is sharing her house with her lodger Peter. Working as a crime writer and freelance
journalist, she struggles to comprehend what she is facing.
Taking the decision to inform the police, she must put her complete trust in them to solve the murders before her murder date arrives. Mary feels vulnerable as she hasn’t her family around her.
Quite a clever plot and if you are looking for plenty of twists and turns, you have picked up the right book.
Well worth your time.
If the police knew about a murder in advance, could they stop it taking place? That is the premise of the new book from Jackie Kabler, The Murder List.

Protagonist Mary Ellis receives a diary for Christmas with four entries. On the first of January, February, March and April the entry consists of a name and the location of a murder. Why did Mary receive the diary and why is she named in one of the entries?

Yet another amazing book from this author, well written, great characters and a plot that keeps you turning the pages. It's fast-paced, myterious and just the type of book that gets you suspecting everyone and trusting no one.

If you haven't read anything from this author before, I highly suggest you do. The books just keep getting better and better. I can't wait for the next one! There is a next one...right?!
The Murder List is right up my street, I love a good crime story with lots of twists and turns and I was NOT disappointed with this book by Jackie Kabler.

This is the first book by Jackie I have read and was very glad to join the tour to be involved in reading.

Talk about a rollercoaster ride, I couldn't put the book down, it kept me reading and wanting to read more. Loved the twists at the end and didn't expect them. I had no idea who the murderer was and was so surprised when it was announced.

The Murder List is a well-written story, with good characters, and lots of twists to keep you guessing. Do I recommend this book? Damn right I do, I will definitely keep an eye out for more books by Jackie.
Since I enjoyed Jackie Kabler's The Perfect Couple I was looking forward to reading The Murder List.

Meet Mary who works in a publishing house. When she receives a journal with a list of names, dates and towns she doesn't quite know what to make of it in the beginning.
It quickly turns out to be kind of a hitlist with people who should be murdered . And what's more, the name Mary is on the list as well!!

This story was what I call fast moving and addictive. I really wanted to find out if Mary finds the killer before he finds her!
Thanks #NetGalley #HarperCollins UK for this ARC
This was the first book I've read by Kabler and it's definitely not going to be the last, The Murder List was the book that just kept giving!

It starts off slowly and builds to a full on roller-coaster ride, full of twists, turns and plenty of mouth agape OMFG moments. The ending completely blew me away and I'm still trying to get my head round it all now.

Very well written and such a cleverly thought out plotline, that's suspenseful, full of tension and absolutely gripping.

The characters were complex, flawed and well rounded, all of them hiding a secret or two.

I thoroughly enjoyed this read, and my nerves are slowly beginning to recover.

Many thanks to Rachel's Random Resources for my tour spot.

Rating ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
This book has all of the ingredients of a great thriller:
suspense, twists and pace. The plot is told from two
narratives- the first person narrative of the main
character 'Mary' and a third person perspective of the
police investigating. Following the mysterious delivery
of a diary, Mary finds the details of 4 planned murders-
the last being her own! When the first murder becomes
reality it's a race against time to solve the mystery of
who the killer is. The plot was really well thought out
and the characters were well developed and believable.
The author has included some great twists along the
way too to keep us gripped. One negative would have
to be the amount of dialogue in the third person police
narrative chapters. Sometimes I felt that not all of the
dialogue was necessary and actually slowed the pace
down a little. I also thought that once the killer had
been revealed the plot could have been a little more
developed... don't want to give away too much though.
On the other hand, I particularly liked how the author
has crafted twists throughout the plot in order to keep
everyone guessing even up to the final pages!! Overall
an enjoyable and suspenseful read
If like me you enjoy playing armchair detective then I wish you good luck with this book. I had more theories than a loony conspiracist and my number one suspect was more changeable than the weather here in the uk.

Mary was a brilliantly believable protagonist but the people in her life were seriously shady (insert Eminem song). I mean imagine being given advance warning of your own murder and having to look closely at everyone you interact with on a daily basis. Friends, family, colleagues, maybe even your friendly barista who serves you your daily fix of coffee every morning. Any one of them could be plotting to kill you and you don’t have long to work it out as the rest on the list are quickly dropping like flies. Soon it will be your turn!

I had quite a strong theory fairly early on in this book as one character stood out like a sore thumb and I found their behaviour a bit strange, so imagine my surprise later on when it looked like I was actually going to be right for a change. Then the author may as well have clocked me round the head with a tennis trophy as I was so mistaken. That wasn’t the only thing I got wrong either and my head was spinning when all was finally revealed.

Part thriller, part police procedural and with a great premise this is a fast paced read with clues, misdirections, twists and a killer ending!
A murder mystery with a unique premise. Freelance journalist Mary receives a diary for a Christmas present and then is plunged into a series of macabre events. The story is competently written but I could not engage with the narrative. Thanks to netgalley and the publisher for the arc.
As Psychological thrillers are by far my favourite genre I really hoped that The Murder List would be right up there with my favourites. However it far far outstripped a lot of them! What an absolute corker of a book. This is one that really gets your grey matter working into overdrive. A proper edge of your seat page turner. I know I know those old clichés, said so many times in reviews but honestly they just sum up this beautifully crafted thriller to a tea.

There are a few red herrings thrown in to this uncommon take on police procedure. A case that sounds utterly impossible for them to crack. Only having the first name only to go by this really is a challenging case for the police. The case is very cleverly structured and the characters are certainly worth investing your reading time too. Your thought processes will go haywire trying to keep up with the twists and turns. It is totally compelling and you will find it hard (well I did) to put this one down. I loved it and I will be looking out for the Jackie Kabler, how have I not read her before? Totally engrossing and superbly written.
This is my first book by the author and  I am definitely going to pick up more.
The Murder List is an edge of the seat psychological thriller that had me guessing till the end.
When Mary receives the diary as a Christmas present and eventually comes across the victim names and places, things get twisty and Mary ends up a suspect. I felt the pace was good but not completely engrossing. The police investigation was like looking for a needle in a haystack amd I shared their frustration with dead ends. However, the ending was definitely a surprise.
Pick it up if you are looking for an edgy thriller to read.
Mary receives a diary in a secret Santa at work and its one of those presents that you kind of forget about, such is the case with Mary, it isn't until the new year when she is having a clear out that she opens the diary and discovers its not empty -in fact the first of each month has something written, 1st January MURDER LISA, OXFORD 1st February MURDER JANE, BIRMINGHAM 1st March MURDER DAVID, CARDIFF 1st April MURDER MARY, CHELTENHAM  - She initially thinks its some kind of sick joke until she hears on the news of a woman named Lisa who was found murdered. One down three to go and by all accounts Mary is last on the list. She dwells on what to to do for a days and after talking it over with her roommate she decides to finally go to the police.

This was one of those crime books that I couldn't wait to see how the police worked this kind of case. A person only known by their first name and from such high population cities would make the task of protecting said people rather like looking for a needle in a haystack! We only know that Mary is last so the Cheltenham police can at least protect her, but will that come at the expense of the others? How on earth can the police prevent the murders from happening? Short answer is they can't and as the months go by and April draws every closer, Mary does her own investigation into the people before her looking for a connection but there just doesn't seem to be one making it all the more harder to narrow down a suspect.

There were an few red herrings as to who the author wanted us to believe was the suspect and when it was finally revealed I was actually in shock - how did I not see that coming!? well done Ms Kabler, well done!

4 stars #blogtour
Freelance Crime writer Mary Ellis receives a diary although she has no idea who sent it to her. Mid January she flicked through it she saw that it was empty apart from four entries at the beginning  of each month. They each say Murder a Christian name & a place. She reports this to the police & discovers that the first entry is correct. This leads to the police departments in each area working together to try & stop the next one on the list. A logistical nightmare as the names are quite common ones & Mary gets a note saying she is the Mary of the last entry!

This was an unusual take on a police procedural. As the story goes on we learn more about Mary, who is a lady with an interesting back story! I was totally captivated by this book. It was clever & unusual & right to the very end revelations were thrown at the reader. I have never read anything by this author before, but I will be looking out for her now. Thanks to Netgalley & the publisher for letting me read & review this terrific book.
This is a great premise for thriller!

Mary Ellis receives a diary for a Christmas present. Assuming it is from a client, she doesn’t even check it until she is about to donate it to a charity. Then she notices that murders have been added.

The first has already taken place, and the second is imminent. Mary takes the diary to the police. They have only a couple of months to stop the killer before Mary herself is the target.

This is a very twisty investigation that will keep you guessing. The murders don’t at first seem to have any connection and even then the only links the police can find between the victims are tenuous.

Mary, herself a crime writer, starts her own investigation, hoping to uncover some clues. Buy is she unwittingly putting herself closer to the danger.

There are so many twisty red herrings to keep you guessing. Mary’s paranoia means that she is becoming suspicious of every one around her. I though I had sussed it but was proven completely wrong.

This is cracking read that I thoroughly enjoyed.
Thanks to HarperCollins One More Chapter for this one!
This was fantastic! A real page turner, and full of twists to keep me guessing!
The Murder List has echoes of The Hit List by Holly Seddon, which has a very similar premise, but in my opinion, this one was better!
I feel that the short chapters with the timeline on each, coupled with the different POVs, really helped keep the reader engaged throughout.
There were plenty of clues, and I suspected everyone! My favourite type of thriller!
Kabler does a superb job of saying every thought the reader might have, and every clue dropped is analysed thoroughly.
And that ending too! Even as it happened, I didn't know who to trust!
Loved it.

Also shared to my Facebook page Curling up with a coffee and a kindle
👏BOOK REVIEW👏
🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

“It says, in block capitals:
READ ME”

I’m delighted to take part in the book tour for THE MURDER LIST! Thank you to Rachels Random Resources for the invite 💕

An absolutely incredible thriller and my first 5-star read in a while! It hooked me from the first page. A must-read if you enjoy who-done-it thrillers!

The plot is original, fresh, and extremely enjoyable. And the best part is how unpredictable it is. I thought I’d carefully examined the suspects and narrowed down the killer. NOPE…what a shock.

Mary Ellis is a freelance crime writer. A likable character with a traumatic past. Her current life is simple and happy until she receives a diary for Christmas. She glances at the planner quickly, not intending to keep it. But quickly changes her mind when she notices that it includes a name and location at the beginning of each month through April. And the name in April is Mary. When she realizes the initial name is someone who was recently murdered, she takes it to the police.

Finding a new author with excellent writing skills is such a treat! My TBR list will be growing.

Thanks to Jackie Kabler, HarperCollins One More Chapter, and Rachels Random Resources for proving this incredible thriller through NetGalley. All opinions are my own.

#themurderlist #jackiekabler #harpercollins #onemorechapter #netgalley #rachelsrandomresources #justfinishedreading #bookreview #inexchangeforreview #thrillerbookaddict #bookaholic #booknerd #lovebooks #compulsivereader #fortheloveofreading #ilovereading #coloradobookstagrammer #coloradoreader #readingintherockies #lovebooks #bookishlife #booksbooksandmorebooks #readabook #bookstagrammer
I had never read a book by Jackie Kabler before, but I was asked if I would like to review it by the publisher, One More Chapter, I had heard about it on one of their blogger vents, and it sounded fantastic! I was then invited to their read-along event last week, which I loved but got a little behind; life has a way of getting in the way at times!

The Murder List has a fantastic premise. We begin by meeting Mary in Cheltenham. She is a crime journalist and has received a random diary from someone just before Christmas. She isn't very interested in it as she prefers another format. However, while tidying up just after the new year, she decides to check if it has a note with who it was from before taking it to the charity shop and finds four entries. One for the first day of the first four months. Each note names a person's forename and the city they live in with a note saying to murder them. When she checks the papers, she sees that the note to Murder Lisa in Oxford on January 1st has already happened.

We follow as Mary takes the diary to the police, and they share their investigations into the links between each of the coming victims and try to prevent them. This is an excellent idea for a story, and I enjoyed following the investigation.

Mary was obviously shocked when she realised what was in the diary, especially that it included her on the murder list. I would be petrified but probably also think it was a friend playing a joke on me. Mary doesn't appear to have a lot of friends though, and it is a very sick joke. Nevertheless, I think I would be with her and take the diary t the police just in case something else does come real, and the co-incidence of the first murder is just that.

I really enjoyed seeing the story from the perspective of Mary and the police investigation, it enhanced the story, and you could see the struggles on both sides. For example, sometimes Jess, the Family Liaison Officer (FLO) working with Mary, could b a little cold and would tell her not to worry. She was obviously trying to reassure her, but I think it would have panicked me even more, as she seemed to brush it all off.

I liked the characters in the murder list and enjoyed learning more about them. Pete seems a bit shady and doesn't seem to be a very good friend to Mary. He appears to be using her for a cheap place to live rather than being a proper best friend. He would promise to stay with her overnight on each of the murder dates, so she had some support, but every time would disappear with his girlfriend, which was really annoying. When their relationship changed, I wondered if this was part of his manipulation and began to consider him more and more as a suspect. He was definitely an odd character and friend.

The twist in the middle of the book was fantastic. I had already guessed what it would be, but it was great to see that things weren't all as expected, and I felt that it changed the pace of the book a little and moved it along well when it could have become a little stale with no results on the investigation.

Taking part in my first read-along was a great experience. I didn't do all of the challenges due to lack of time, but it gave a slightly different reading experience with everyone sharing bits of information and their thoughts as we went along. Although, writing my prediction on day two (after chapter 19) was excellent. I usually predict what's going to happen but never write it down, so when it does happen, I don't always remember when I made the prediction or how close I was. I might even start doing that more often!

The big twist at the end, I didn't see coming at all, which makes a great book!
This was a twisty thriller. I was hooked right from the start with this one.

There were lots of different characters and it made it really difficult knowing who you could trust.

I liked Mary and I felt for her, I’d be completely terrified in her position!

As always I loved the multiple POV’s. It really helps the story flow and I enjoy reading from other characters perspectives.

This was my first read by Jackie Kabler and it won’t be my last.

If you like a tense, fast paced thriller I recommend giving this a try.

Thank you to Rachel’s Random Resources for having me on the tour and for my gifted ebook.
Wow. What a rollercoaster of a read. So many twists and turns to try and uncover. This is definitely a story to get involved in - each character has such a story to tell and a huge part to play in the overall tale. Such a clever piece of writing, it keeps you guessing til the very end. Mary is a brilliant main character - you feel her anguish as the date gets closer. What would you do if you received The Murder List?