Cover Image: The Murder List

The Murder List

When Mary receives a blank diary as a present, she thinks nothing of it. Until she opens the diary, and sees it’s not blank after all…
1st January MURDER LISA, OXFORD
1st February MURDER JANE, BIRMINGHAM
1st March MURDER DAVID, CARDIFF
1st April MURDER MARY, CHELTENHAM
Is this some kind of sick joke? But…it’s the end of January now. And a woman named Lisa was murdered in Oxford on 1st January.
Does that mean there really is a killer out there, planning to commit a new murder on the first of each month? And is the Mary due to be killed on 1st April her?
The clock is ticking for Mary to uncover the truth, before she becomes the next victim on the killer’s list…

This is a brilliant read.
Wonderful well written plot and story line that had me engaged from the start.
Love the well fleshed out characters and found them believable.
Great suspense and found myself second guessing every thought I had continuously.
Can't wait to read what the author brings out next.
Recommend reading.

I was provided an ARC from NetGalley and the publisher.  This is my own honest voluntary review.
This thriller will certainly keep you on the edge of your seat and takes you on a winding path through some rather dark places. There are some genuine surprises in store and right at the very end yet another shocking twist. You feel Mary's tension throughout in this story which is full of characters who you are not sure about- whose word can be trusted?

The structure of the story is dictated by the list which is found in a diary which was given to Mary, anonymously. There is a relentless feel to the plot as time ticks on and deaths start to pile up. There are several police investigations to follow and several interesting characters who you look at through Mary's suspicious eyes. Well paced and snappy, you fear for the outcome.

In short: a clever crime thriller full of twists and turns
Thanks to the author for a copy of the book
The Murder List by Jackie Kabler is a gripping psychological thriller that had me flipping the pages quickly because I was invested from the start. Twists and turns galore and some very surprising moments, this is a fantastic read!

I liked the characters a lot in this story. They were relatable and well-written, feeling very real. This is important to me as a reader and this author nailed it. Mary is a great lead. She is a bit calmer than I would have anticipated for someone who’s a target of a killer, but we all react differently. I liked reading her point of view.

There is so much suspense, this is a very difficult novel to set down once you start reading. This is my first read from this author and it certainly won’t be my last. Don’t miss out on this one if you enjoy psychological thrillers!

Thank you to Rachel’s Random Resources for the free review copy. All opinions are my own and unbiased.
This one pulled me in straight away - as you follow main character Mary who stumbles across a diary that has the names and locations of 4 people, and it’s clear they’re murder victims. Her main cause for concern is her name is last on the list. Talk about a plot!

This one is fast paced, with so many characters and red herrings that leave you questioning EVERYTHING and EVERYONE. There’s so many reveals in this one - there’s one that I didn’t see coming, but the big reveal was a little far fetched for me. This was my first book of Kabler’s, but it won’t be my last.

Thanks to NetGalley, the One More Chapter team, and the author for the opportunity to read this review copy.
A phenomenal thriller that had me pulled in from the beginning. Truly remarkable and amazingly unpredictable, this is an easy five-star read. With a fast-paced storyline, breath-taking plot twists and an utterly unforeseen and brilliant conclusion, this is a definite must-read for all thriller fans!

Admittingly, I have read books by this author before, so knew of her writing style. This was the main reason I wanted to read this, and ‘The Murder List’ is now my favourite piece of work by her. Jackie Kabler’s ability to create a suspenseful and intense atmosphere is up there with the very best.

Mary, the main character, is relatable and incredibly likeable with her intelligent yet personal aspects of this mystery. I was sorry when this book came to an end.

I highly recommend this, if you couldn’t already tell, and am looking forward to reading more by this author in the future.
I’ve read a few books by this author, which I have enjoyed.  This book is about a crime journalist, Mary Ellis, who receives diary with four names (one of them being hers) and four places written in on four separate dates.  The first name matches the name of a woman who was found murdered on the date listed in the diary, and from then on, it’s a race against time to identify the other names and stop their murders!

I liked the idea of this book – the thought of knowing when a murder will be committed is just freaky!  I also liked the mystery and suspense in the book throughout.  How on earth are they meant to track down the next few victims by just a first name and place – surely that must be impossible!?  I loved the build up to working all this out and enjoyed following the different police forces in their investigations!  I liked Mary, the crime writer/journalist, initially and had every sympathy in the world with her - it must have been terrifying to wait for the date in the diary when she may be killed.  But as her story moved on, I found there was something about her that I struggled to like and found myself waiting with anticipation as to whether I was right or wrong!

The book twists and turns throughout however, I must admit that I did find it slowing up in parts.  There were plenty of red herrings and dead ends which kept me wondering who was involved in the killings.  The big reveal was unexpected and worked well, although I didn’t quite understand the need for the last part of Mary’s story!  It was an enjoyable read, but there were a few parts which made a plausible storyline into one which was less so.
An intriguing thriller, full of suspense.  Mary, a freelance crime writer receives a diary for Christmas and later realises that it contains the murder list beginning with 1st January - murder Lisa, Oxford and finishing with 1st April - murder Mary, Cheltenham. When Mary realises that a woman called Lisa was murdered in Oxford on January 1st it becomes a race against time to prevent the February and March murders, and ultimately her own murder (as she assumes the April one will be) from taking place.
It is a fast-paced read, full of twists and turns. The final section of the book particularly has so many that I kept reading much longer than I intended just to find out what happened.
One small thing that bothered me about the book is that it is set in 2021 but has people travelling around the country and meeting in ways that would have been impossible due to the lockdown at the time. It's a very small point but I did find it off-putting and I think the book could very easily have been set in 2019 without any of the content being altered.
You can’t even begin to imagine what it would be like to receive a diary with dates and names of people who are going to be murdered! Even worse, imagine how you would feel if you saw an entry with your own name in it!

The concept of this book is pure genius. Kabler delivers a very edge of your seat unique thriller that I raced through as I joined our lead Mary as she works alongside the police to try and catch a cold blooded killer.

I felt the frustration of the investigation team in trying to pin down its victims, an impossible task with only a first name to go on. It is a complex puzzle with plenty of pieces to place, which Kabler doesn’t give away so easily as to where they all fit.

The Murder List is a gripping fast paced tale and is another great read from Kabler. It is one wild ride of red herrings and twists with shocking revelations, making it a very entertaining and exciting read!

Thank you to Jackie Kabler, One More Chapter and NetGalley for allowing me to read an advance copy of The Murder List, which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily.
This was just OK for me, I worked out a lot of the plot so I think I lost a lot of interest after this. The writing style was good and I found the characters interesting too. Not a bad book but but a fave either.
This is a real page-turner of a thriller, with lots of twists and turns. There are only a small number of suspects throughout, and yet I pretty much suspected all of them at some point or another, including the rather secretive main character and narrator, Mary.

I was captivated from the start by the fiery trauma in Mary’s past and by the very clever hook of the diary ‘murder list’ and the author kept the pace up as the story unfolded, giving us perspectives from the various police investigators in Oxford, Birmingham, Cardiff and Cheltenham, as well as Mary’s viewpoint.

I was a little less keen, however, on the romance side-plot, mainly because of the ‘overlap’ aspect of it. Up until then, I had bought fully into the chemistry we were shown, but then I found it hard to reconcile the behaviour of a true friend with what ensued thereafter.

Overall though, this was a really clever, twisty thriller which kept me guessing right up to the very end and was very difficult to put down until that last page turned. This might have been my first Jackie Kabler thriller, but I would definitely read more in future!

Review by Steph Warren of Bookshine and Readbows blog
The story starts on Christmas Eve. Mary Ellis is in her early thirties and works as a freelance crime writer in Cheltenham. She receives a desk diary for Christmas, but doesn’t know who it’s from. When she gets round to looking at it, it contains a list of apparent murders to take place in the first four months of the year – the dates, names of the victims and locations. One stands out – “1st April - Murder Mary, Cheltenham.”
I mean, what an EXCELLENT idea for a novel! Who doesn’t want to read that to find out what happens? And it’s a page turner. You immediately feel for Mary and wonder what she is going to do and if she is going to survive the book! You also start suspecting all the people she knows.
I loved the way the different police forces interacted, and you got to know the main players in each one. It was really interesting to follow the investigation this way. I enjoyed the scenes with the police on Zoom calls discussing where they were at.
This is a really good psychological thriller. It’s perfectly paced, there’s never a boring bit and there are lots of twists and turns. As with all the best books in this genre, you end up thinking you’ve got it all worked out, only for things to tip completely on their head and another theory comes to the forefront. It’s very well written and I really enjoyed it.
I've not read a book by Jackie Kabler before, but the synopsis intrigued me, so I thought I'd try it.

Mary is a crime journalist who is feeling bored, but she gets more than she bargained for when she receives a diary with dates of murders. At first she's sceptical, but she finds a murder committed on the first of January that matches the list. It becomes a race against time to stop the murderer and Mary becoming the last victim.

The Murder List was an intriguing psychological thriller with a puzzling mystery and some romance on the side.

Mary was a likeable character, even for a journalist. I also liked the fact that she and her actions were believable and it did not leave me thinking, 'what did she do that for?'

Like with most books like this, I was never sure who was to be trusted or who was keeping secrets, which always makes for a suspenseful read.

I also liked the way the story was told. Mary's story was interspersed with the various police officers working the case and seeing it from their points of view too, giving me a fuller picture.

I'll be honest, in the middle it lost a bit of the tension for me but the ending was packed with plenty of twists and turns to make up for it.

The Murder List is a solid psychological thriller and a must for fans of the genre.
This book sounds as creepy as the title says. Mary is a crime writer and she receives a normal diary for Christmas. When she takes it out to see who sent it to her so that she can send a thank you note, she realises that it has a name and a location for four different entries. One such day has already passed and a person with that name is already dead. The last entry is her name.

This book alters between Mary’s POV and police investigation. As usual I couldn’t get into the investigation narration because I always find it a bit hard to follow. But this book is an interestingly wild ride and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

All thanks to Harpercollin Publishers for the eARC.
Say hello to a new to me author Jackie Kabler. I sometimes wonder why I'm a book reviewer given the fact that most books I read for reviewing are by authors I've never read or dare say heard of before 🙈  However, this is why I love reviewing books because it opens up my world to new autobuy authors 😄

I picked this book because I loved the synopsis. A diary is sent to Mary Ellis, a crime writer. And in it is just 4 entries, 4 names, 4 locations and the word murder next to each entry. Sound strange? Well even stranger when it's Mary's name written in the 4th entry. And she has discovered that the 1st murder has already happened. Cue a big investigation involving 4 police forces clueless and an ever increasing worried Mary.

The writing in this story flowed so well, when I realised we were going to have an investigation by four police forces. I did worry how it would all come about and if I'd get confused. But, I didn't have to worry I followed it all easily and found myself knee deep in the investigation and putting my wits against the police force and the murderer.

As the story develops, Mary's character also becomes a mystery to us and I loved her backstory. Which made me question who she was and whether to believe her or not. Saying that, I did point my finger of suspicion at nearly every character in the book 🤣 and I blame Kabler for this, she kept putting little hints and twists within the narrative that git my crime busting juices flowing.

The Murder List is a cracking read. It has all the perfect elements needed for a crime investigation. Will you figure out who is the murderer? I sure didn't 😄
This is the first book that I have read my Jackie Kabler and it won't be my last! WOW. This book isn't a fast paced back and forth type thriller until the end. I had to force myself to S L O W down, I was reading so fast to find out! Entertaining and surprising! I recommend this one!!
I absolutely loved the premise of The Murder List.  Mary, a crime writer, receives a diary at work for Christmas, she puts it to one side assuming it’s from a publisher.  A couple of weeks pass and while she’s going through her things notices that something is actually written the diary - there are four first names and dates they’ll be murdered.  One of the first names could be her own…..

The Murder List is brilliantly paced - moving between the Police investigation to Mary counting down and dealing with her possible murder date.  As Mary’s murder date approached, I couldn’t put the book down and I really felt Mary’s paranoia.  There were some twists and turns that I really did not see coming.  This is prime for a TV adaptation!

I must say the artwork for the book cover is brilliant - so simple, and the image of the note with ‘Your name is next’ really sold the book to me and made me want to read it.

This was my first Jackie Kabler book and it certainly won’t be my last!   Huge thanks to the Publishers, HarperCollins UK, One More Chapter, , and NetGalley for making this ARC available to me for a fair and honest review.
An Intense Thriller.........................

The Murder List by Jackie Kabler is what a good thriller looks like. The suspense and thrill of the plot is worth to count on. Marvelous climax and characters makes it one of the best thrillers of this year. A dessert for mystery lovers. The book is so entertaining that I finished it within a day only as it is a real page turner. A plot that is fully absorbing with a mind blowing climax.

Definitely, 5 stars to the book. Thanks to Netgalley, Rachel's Random Resources and One More Chapter for providing me an opportunity to read and review the book.
The Murder List is an engrossing and intriguing story of secrets, lies and misunderstandings, tense and twisty. The premise of the story is solid, and the plotline with the twists and turns and red herrings aplenty is developing satisfactorily, until the last chapters.

The plotting is enthralling, the villain is nasty, and the pace and suspense are handled expertly.
I was hooked from the very start of this book and once I started reading, I couldn't stop. As each chapter passed, I'd have a new suspicion of who the murderer could be, yet I still didn't guess correctly. Such a great page turner of a book with plenty of twists. Thank you to One More Chapter and NetGalley for the chance to read in return for an honest review
Oh many this was a wild book! I loved it.  It is one of those books that you own't want to put down. It alternates between Mary's POV and the detectives. I enjoyed having different view points of this story. Overall, such a great story and I loved the different characters. It kept me hooked.