Cover Image: The Murder List

The Murder List

The Murder List
By Jackie Kabler

Review:  I expected this story to be more from Mary's point of view. I wish the chapters had names or titles. It would make it easier to keep track of who is speaking. It took me a few chapters to get into the rhythm of this book. There were a few twists in the storyline. It was a slow burn. Am I glad I read this book?  Yes. Will I re-read it?  No.

I'm thinking of adding this to my reviews. Let me know what you think. Buy. Borrow, Bud (audio) or Bypass.  This one: borrow.

Read this book if :
📝 you like easy to read thrillers. Nothing dark and twisted.
📝 total resolution at the end
📝 a secret love story that plays a small part of the story.

Thank you to @netgalley, Harper Collins UK & One More Chapter for an ARC of this book for my review.
This was my first Jackie Kabler book and I thoroughly enjoyed the read. Mary, a crime writer, finds herself in the middle of a crimes of a possible serial killer. She has received and put aside the gift of a diary. A month or so later when she opens it to identify the sender she finds a macabre list of murders yet to be committed, with herself as the final victim. This is a thriller with plenty of twists and red herrings. It kept me guessing.
I struggled with this book. the first half was really good but it became clear where the story was going and the second half was just hard to read and keep going almost like wading through treacle at times. I did finish the book  eventually but never really enjoyed it all that much. All overall the book felt rushed and no consideration was put into the second part of the book. Not good enough
What a great book this is, I loved everything about it from the very first page until the last.  Extremely well written with well described characters, such a great story line which got better and better the more pages I read and was completely  hooked.

Thank you to Netgalley and Harper Collins (OMC) for this brilliant ARC which I can thoroughly recommend.
Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for allowing me to receive an arc in exchange for my honest review. All thoughts and opinions are my own!

So; overall, I liked the book. The writing format was great, the pov was fine. The last chapter … just wasn’t necessary. I feel like the twists were enough, but that’s just me! Would still say it’s a good one for thriller/mystery readers though!
Wow! I loved this book and it was a keep you up till you finish it book. Never read anything by the author before but this was such a good book I was impressed.
Mary receives a bizarre Xmas gift, a diary with four names on four dates. The dates these people will be killed and the fourth entry is her name! Can she stop a killer in time when she has no idea how these people are linked?
This was a clever, twisty read. I love Jackie’s books and without a doubt knew I would enjoy this one from the first few pages.
Thank you to netgalley and the publishers for this arc in exchange for my honest review.
This was a wild ride that I really enjoyed once I got into it.  It centers on Mary, a freelance crime writer who receives a diary/planner that just has a name and location on 4 different days.  The first day has already passed and someone with that name and in that city was murdered.  As if that isn't scary enough, Mary's own name is 4th on the list. The story alternates between Mary's POV in the first person and that of the various police detectives working on the case, in the 3rd person.

The story itself is sound- it's fast paced with many different twists, some which were huge surprises. Mary was a belieavable character and the things she did, while not always being the right things, made sense.  I did figure out the motive for the killings before the characters did, but didn't figure out the villain themselves until quite late.

It did take me a little bit to get into the book, and I think it was due to the writing style- the switch between voices from chapter to chapter was somewhat jarring and I felt that the early chapters involving the police detectives had somewhat stilted dialogue that didn't cleanly flow for me.  I don't know whether I just got used to it or if the style changed, but that didn't bother me anymore after the first quarter of the book.

Overall, I thought this was a fun mystery and love when I am stumped on who did it.  I'd recommend this to those who like mysteries and psychological thrillers, with a little taste of police procedural.  Thanks to Netgallay for providing me a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
I enjoyed the first 80 percent of this novel. Mary receives a journal for Christmas, which is a common gift given to a colleague, so she doesn’t even look at it until a month after the holiday, when she’s about to throw it out but realizes she should know who sent it so she can send a thank you card. Instead, what she finds is four names, dates, and places. It says “January 1, murder Lisa, Oxford.” There are two more names and then April 1, murder Mary, Cheltenham.” When she learns a woman named Lisa was murdered on January 1 in Oxford, she takes the book to the police.

The first part this moves so quickly as the police try to figure out what the three people before Mary have in common. For me, I didn’t love the ending, and I can’t tell you why without giving things away.

Thanks to NetGalley for the opportunity to review this novel, which RELEASES MAY 31.
This is by far my favorite Jackie Kabler book. There wasn't just one, or two, or three, or four, but five twists! They were all great! This was by far the twistyest book of the year!
Well this book was an absolute treat from start to finish. Jackie never fails to write a book that doesn’t hook you from the first chapter and this was no different. Told in a dated timeline which I loved and it had me guessing all the way through, who was the murderer. Would highly recommend to anyone that loves a bit of murder!
Freelance crime writer Mary Ellis receives a diary for a Christmas present. It isn’t until a month later that she opens it to find it isn’t blank. Instead there are four entries; murder, first name, city. The date of the first entry has past, and everyone heard about the murder on that day. The details all matching the diary entry. It’s almost the date of the second entry, is it just a weird coincidence or a serial killers plan?

This was a really unusual thriller that kept me guessing who the serial killer was throughout. I pretty much suspected everyone but the killer! It was full of red herrings and twists (some of which I suspected, no spoilers though). I did find the authors obsession with female characters hair colour and style a bit unnecessary. I don’t need to know some police officer we meet once has a blonde pixie cut. Other than that I enjoyed this story.
This was a really easy book to read. It was engrossing and engaging. It was also addictive and I swallowed it up greedily.
This was absolutely amazing! It kept me completely engaged from the start. The plot was so simple but so unique. The characters were really written and had their own individual voices and personalities. You can't help but to care about what happens to everyone. The book keeps up a good pace and has you wondering about literally everyone. There is this sense of doom and an eerie undertone the entire way through. I thought I knew what was coming but I had mo clue and the twists were just perfect. Such a well executed novel by every standard. I can't wait to read more from from Jackie Kabler
I stayed up way too late reading this book! It felt like I should be able to predict what would happen, but I did not see any of the twists coming and felt genuinely surprised, even while simultaneously feeling like the characters were complex and fully developed and I knew them well. The sense of time and impending doom or disaster were conveyed really well, but in a fun suspenseful way, not a stressful one. I felt like the main character was relatable, but realistically flawed and her thought process and internal monologue were written really well.
This is my third Kabler novel, and it most definitely won't be my last.
Jackie is a wonderful writer and she can sure keep her readers on their toes.
With her amazing storytelling and with characters that are superbly played, she kept me hooked from.the beginning to end with The Murder List.
This story is probably my most favorite out of her list.
Lots of twisty turns that kept me guessing till the end.
A brilliant captivating read that I didn’t want to put down!

“I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own.”

One More Chapter,
Thank You for your generosity and gifting me a copy of this amazing eARC!
I will post my review to my platforms, blog, B&N and Waterstone closer to pub date.
Jackie Kabler is fast becoming one of Britains leading authors. You now your in for a solid read when you get one of her books.
The thing I loved about this one was that I thought I’d guessed the murderer.  I was wrong. Lots of twists and your interest is held.
Many thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for the opportunity to see an ARC.
The murder list by Jackie Kabler.
When Mary receives a blank diary as a present, she thinks nothing of it. Until she opens the diary, and sees it’s not blank after all…
I really really enjoyed this book.  Great story and characters.  Kept me gripped.  I liked Mary. Pete I wasn't sure.  What a twist. Didn't see that coming.  5*.
This is an awesome thriller that kept me entranced from the beginning! Mary receives a "gift" that is really a list of first names and the date on which they will be murdered. Since she is a freelance crime writer, this appears to be a coup for her until she sees the name "Mary" on April 1st. And of course she realizes it may be coincidence, but since the gift was specifically for her, she turns it over to the police and hopes they can get to the bottom of it. But when murders begin happening, she realizes she may be next as there is nothing connecting the victims to one another. Creepy good with lots of atmosphere and tension, this novel kept me up late into the night (with all my doors locked and the lights on)! Part thriller, part romance, part detective story, the book cemented my fandom with Jackie Kabler. Loved it!
Thanks to NetGalley for this ARC!
The Murder List by Jackie Kabler is the latest riveting page-turner from this must read author.  I was immediately engaged with the unique premise and found myself giving in to the mounting tension as the narrative progressed.

Mary Ellis receives an unusual gift from an unknown sender, a diary with four entries already added.  Four specific dates offer up the murder dates, identities, and locations of victims, ending with her own name on April 1.  Who has sent such a chilling warning, and what is Mary's connection to it all?  I was completely floored by the reveal, and felt that the last few chapters could have been fully fleshed out novels in their own right.  Recommended.

Many thanks to NetGalley and HarperCollins UK, One More Chapter for an ARC.