Cover Image: Do I Feel Better Yet?

Do I Feel Better Yet?

I appreciated what Trebenski was going for here - funny-snarky essays on our culture's obsession with "wellness" (read: unattainable perfection and the absurd lengths people go to in trying to achieve it). Unfortunately, these essays missed the mark for me.
I didn’t connect to this book, but I think other women might. So I don’t want to discourage others from reading it!
This is for anyone who has expressed a negative emotion, such as stress or sadness, and a person, possibly your mom or a stranger, says, "Have you tried ___? It changed my life!" This book is filled with essays in response to that question. Each chapter starts with an honest essay from the author before launching into a  series of funny satirical essays about the topic. This is a book that you can leave out on the coffee table for people to browse. It's not necessary to read all the way through at once. We've all been in that situation, and if you're one of the people saying "Have you tried...?" please read this book.
This was a fun book about the multitude of fads and self help tools available. An easy and humorous  read
This book was an absolute delight. Laugh-out-loud funny more often than not, but still insightful when it needed to be. Joking most of the time, but occasionally deeply sincere. I gobbled it up in two days and have recommended it to all of my friends, saying, "I'm reading this book and I'm having the BEST time."

Do I Feel Better Yet? takes a look at the kinds of well-meaning wellness and self-care suggestions you get from people who have found their salvation in exercise or religion or just drinking a whole lot of water. Trebenski examines her own relationships to these trends with humor and honesty, but also spends plenty of page space mocking the sillier suggestions. Introspection stands alongside comedic listicles (a pro/con list of having children, a collection of obituaries for dearly departed plants, descriptions for terrible imaginary sex toys) and imagined scenarios (bringing your literally monstrous boyfriend to dinner, luxury lingerie shopping, a recipe for haunted bone broth). I found myself wanting to send all the best quotes to my friends, and slowly realized that that was basically most of the pages of the book.

Admittedly, the book's shtick got a little old after 200+ pages, and some essays landed better than others, but those felt like relatively small issues in amongst all of the other excellent and entertaining content of the book. This is an antidote to all of the overwhelmingly tiresome discourses of wellness out there. I recommend it with all the zealousness of someone telling you to try Keto.

4.5/5
Happy Publication Day to "Do I Feel Better Yet?" If you're looking to laugh, this might be a great select for you!

A tour across the many layers of our self-care culture, this nonfiction centers on the lengths we'll travel to make ourselves feel better. There is absolutely no question the author, a McSweeney's contributor, is funny. In a chapter titled "Are You Hungry or Are You Just Horny?" she asks: "Is it your appetite for melted cheese? Or is it your appetite for human intimacy?" She has a unique, often laugh-out-loud take on so many things we do in the name of bettering ourselves.

But, paradoxically, I wanted more self-care perspectives. She touches on her conclusions in a glimpse of insight: "Lately, I've started to feel like the call for people to practice self-care is just another version of telling people to pull themselves up by their bootstraps." (Girl, YAS.) I wished for more of this across the book - but those who know they're going into a book that's 90% humor, 10% insight will no doubt be satisfied by this very funny, talented author.

Thank you to Chronicle Books for giving me an advanced copy in exchange for an honest review.
If you are a person who is trying to find happiness in our increasingly insane world (and of course you are, you exist), you will likely identify with some (or all) of Do I Feel Better Yet? This book takes a look at a lot of the trends sweeping the millenial/Gen Z world to see if any of this ceaseless advice is actually helpful.

As someone who battles my anxiety and depression constantly, I identified deeply with the idea of all of the different things or activities people tell you will magically fix you. From fad diets to yoga to exercise to the great outdoors to alien romance novels to rampant consumerism to possibly sketchy "wellness cults", this book takes a comical look at the lengths we will go to to try to feel better - instead of, you know, dealing with it responsibly with a therapist.

I greatly enjoyed these essays and found the entire book to be very approachable and funny. Anyone at all aware of today's culture will be all too familiar with the subjects, which are addressed in a variety of essay formats, from personal anecdotes to "brochures" explaining why the MLM wellness group you are interested in definitely isn't a weird sex cult, to a letter to the parents explaining that your boyfriend - who happens to be cursed to be a monster for going on three centuries now - is coming to dinner, and may or may not destroy the house and/or drink grandma's blood.

While this book probably will not be a viable substitute for therapy and/or medication, it is a diverting way to spend some time, and will likely make you feel better while reading it.

Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for an advanced copy of this book! All thoughts and opinions are my own.
This glorious, quick read is a self help book full of short essays that made me feel so seen! Talk about hitting the nail right on the head with most of these, omg I was laughing out loud during some (most) parts- and I literally love a book that can make me actually laugh! 🤣 From start to finish, this makes you think about all the previous attempts you’ve made at your own self care and makes you laugh along with how amazing it seemed but then how silly it probably turned out. I could tell from the start this book was going to get me- it totally did! Definitely recommend, especially if you’re into self-care types of books!
The formatting of the book itself was difficult to read, but I tried to ignore it. I still found the concept of the book interesting and I love the author's writing style. I'm looking forward to buying this book for all of my fellow McSweeney buffs. I found this book a welcome respite in a sea of self-care books, and laughed out loud often.
I found this such a slog to get through. It is trying too hard, and I just really couldn't connect with any part of it.
I really wanted to like this book because the idea sounded appealing to me but this book fell flat. I skipped ahead  several sections but it was the same content every time. Jokes that aren't funny.
Thank you to NetGalley and Chronicle Books for the opportunity to read and review an e-ARC of this book. I am absolutely the target demographic and audience for this title, and so much of it resonated with me. I'm a millennial and have my fair share of chronic illnesses, so it's definitely a common occurrence for well-meaning folks to wholeheartedly recommend some combination of yoga, scented candles, exercise equipment, an all-soup diet (or was it a no-soup diet?), juice cleanse, bath bomb, face cream etc etc etc that will completely change my life and heal me. And while I enjoy (most of) those things and find that they do actually improve my overall well-being, we know they're not cure-alls and it gets frustrating to be constantly presented with this idea that all our physical, emotional, and spiritual ails are a few small self-care purchases away from being solved. I liked the portions of this book that played with the ridiculousness of this notion. (It is a lot to expect from a humble piece of wax that an expensive candle can turn my life around!) It also captured the endlessness of this cycle. (Oh, you'd feel way better if you did yoga. Ah, you do practice yoga? Well, you're probably using the wrong mat. The toxic material is killing you slowly. You still feel terrible? Is it perhaps because you eat GRAINS?)

Ultimately, my takeaway is that we're all searching for things to make our lives incrementally better - little treats we purchase for ourselves to brighten a bad day, or big lifestyle changes that force us to look at the choices we've been making thus far.
I really liked and enjoyed this book! I feel like a better person for reading it, and it’s something that’s going to stick with me for a long time.
This book cracked me up, I loved the author’s humor and observations about trends in self care, it really struck home with me, especially the observations about promoted instagram ads references to Kylo Ren and plants

In a culture full of fad diets, miracle cures, and get rich quick schemes, Madeline Trebenski gets real about everything she's tried on her own self-care journey.

Full of snark amd wit, I found this one deeply relatable. Who among us hasn't tried something silly in order to try to improve our lives? Who isn't tired of hearing "oh just try this [insert pill, exercise, diet, class here] it will TOTALLY change your life".

This is the self-help book for everyone who's sick of hearing about self-help. It's a fun, easy read.

Cross-posted to goodreads at: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/4622452532
Over the last few years it seems that each time I mention that I am struggling with work, or sleep, or I just feel off the answer I get from everyone is “you should try some self care.” Or, when I am sitting in a work meeting at 7AM trying to remember if I packed enough food to keep me full through the after school basketball game and the admin wraps up the meeting by saying “make sure you practice self care”……I’ve never been more inclined to punch a wall. This book perfectly wraps up all of the insane “have you tried this” hacks that people tend to share when they think someone needs help. Trebenski adds humor and wit to the world of exercise, diets, spa days, and dream grocery stores. This is the book for the semi burned out Millenial or Gen Z employee who is sick of hearing work meetings that end with “don’t forget to practice self care” each week. I really hope Trebenski does a bit of a book tour and makes an appearance on the Diet Starts Tomorrow podcast because I think she has uncovered a niche in the 20-30 something market that is exceptionally relatable.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for this ARC.
Wow! I rarely give anything five stars. This was such a great read. Truly funny and so relatable. Trebenski has found a new fan in me. I will definitely purchase this title for my library and recommend it to patrons. I would recommend this to any woman over 25, and fans of Nora Ephron. So many of her experiences and observations made me laugh out loud that it’s hard to choose a favorite. At the same time she’s pointing out the more ridiculous aspects of our society. I identified with so much here. and absolutely loved her conclusion!
Madeleine Trebenski started this book by sharing that she is extremely open to try everything that people suggest her mostly because she's also very open to complain about the things that are not going her way. As someone that also loves to complain, but is highly skeptical of advices, this book was great to know more about all the things I'm saying no to and ease my potential fear-of-missing-out.

The book is divided in sections, including Diets, Exercise, Buying Things, Working, Relaxing, Religion, and even Love. My favorite was probably the whole ordeal surrounding Nature - I'm a big adept of long walks in green locations as a way to make me feel better.

I liked the writing style and the personal anecdotes at the beginning of every chapter. The only thing that started to wear me down were the cynical/sarcastic long examples - after the first 3 or 4 I was already hoping for more personal stories or even some general content on why people believe that particular thing would make them feel better. The book veered more towards humor than biography or self-help in the traditional sense. This did not made it worse, just made it a bit tiring for me.

"Do I feel better yet?" made me laugh and I did actually feel better after reading it - there were some very funny parts that made me laugh out loud even. The interesting thing is that reading funny books did not feature the list of things that people suggest to other, so there is that. I'd recommend reading this book if you have tried many things to feel better - this might just be it.

Thanks NetGalley and Chronicle Books for the Advanced Reader Copy of this book, given in exchange of my honest review.
Thank you for the EARC. “Do I Feel Better Yet?” Takes us through the world of “self care” and the collectives advice for what will cure what ails us. I thought this book was hilarious the first half of the way through  but  then things seemed to bog down. Some of the sections ran on a little too long and I found myself skipping pages just to get through the chapter. Mostly enjoyable and a good lesson to just do what works for you and stop listening to all the MSM BS about what will fix you.
Thanks to Netgalley for an advanced copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. This collection of essays set in the hellscape of late capitalism was written by a Millennial and for Millennials. I wasn't sure if as a Gen X-er, I had aged myself out of this book or not. It's still pretty relatable though for anyone still trying to survive and thrive in a work driven,  plague-ridden society. As she ruminates over what we could do or she has done to care for ourselves in the short run-trying to unclench your jaw- or the more drastic option of running away to become a shepherd,  Trebenskii criticizes elements of this Feel Better industry because it's so very easy for the vulnerable to become even more ill from the medicine. I prefer her writing when she provides more direct insights, such as "We watch old episodes of 80s and 90s television every night to mentally transport myself to a time and place where I feel safe enough to fall asleep." OMG, so *that's* why the Millennials love Friends, even after Joey and Rachel hooked up. She gets super annoyed when exercise is the one thing she doesn't feel like doing, and it's the one thing that has the best odds of being effective. Meh. Sometimes, she writes more hyperbolic satire, which doesn't work for me, but that's more a personal taste issue. Even when she's over-the-top, she's clever. Nor does she provide a pat, trite solution at the end. This book is more of a gentle reminder that we need to take care of ourselves when we're trying to take care of ourselves.