Cover Image: Please Join Us

Please Join Us

This was a compelling and fast paced thriller of a book. This author never disappoints...just wish I could've been right about my prediction for the end of the book.
I’ve enjoyed several books by Catherine McKenzie before; I loved I'll Never Tell and thought You Can't Catch Me was a good thriller too. So I was eager to read her new one, and was very thankful for the opportunity to read it through Netgalley.

Please Join Us has an interesting premise : a strange networking group, a retreat in a remote location with no access to communication with the outside world, a intriguing set of characters. I will say, Catherine McKenzie knows how to write a page turner! Through the story, we get snippets of “now”, and I was always eager to go back to the “before” to discover what happened in between.

That being said though, I thought there was something a bit off with the pacing. It took a while for the tension to really build. There were strange goings-on, yes, but a lot of it just made me feel more baffled than anything else. In parts, Nicole’s reactions confused me. She did question the group some, but she was easily deterred from finding out more. It was hard, then, to take her seriously as a lawyer too.

I really liked how everything tied up together in the end though. The last third of the book was definitely the most satisfying for me. You could tell the author had put a lot of thought into building her story, and it was much less straightforward than I had expected (without being overly complicated).

All in all, I enjoyed this one. Not my favourite from the author, but still one I would recommand to readers looking for a good thriller with a slightly different premise.
I was enjoying the book a lot until the ending and the reveal of everything. I thought it was too "mundane" and not exciting, my reaction was just "oh, okay". I was hoping for another reveal after that but there was nothing. So I thought it had more potential than it delivered. And I kept mixing up the characters, I couldn't differentiate the women in the group.
I have read many of this author’s books and was really impressed with all of them and this might be her best yet. Nicole is a lawyer and finds out her law firm is unhappy with the lack of clients and billable hours she is bringing to the firm. A lot of Nicole’s self worth is in her career so she is distressed to feel she is not on an upward trend. Just after this happens she learns of a self empowerment retreat for women. After attending the retreat things start to escalate in Nicole’s life. As Nicole tries to fulfill favours for the women in her ‘Pride’ group, from the retreat, she becomes increasingly uneasy. When some of these requests become unethical and illegal Nicole has to try and figure out how to exit this cult she has unknowingly gotten into. The suspense is palpable and the variety of characters is entertaining. This is a book that was hard to put down. I found it fast paced and the plot is layered and complex. I was very invested to see how all the moving pieces fit together in the end. The book is about empowerment of women and it definitively shows how much more needs to change before women are treated equally in the work place and society. I highly recommend this as the next book you should read.
Nicole, a partner law firm, finds out that senior partners have put her on the chopping block. Now that she is 40, regardless of how much skill and experience she brings to the table, women her age are seen as past their prime, while the men only gain more gravitas. She then finds out from her husband that their beloved Aunt, who has been battling cancer, in at deaths door. They spent their lives together in her apartment. Unable to purchase the apartment until her death as it was held in trust. The Aunt was supposed to incorporate the sale in her will, but there's no way to know until she dies. So, here is Nicole afraid that she is about to lose her job and her home at the same time. Then she recieved an email saying "Please join us". An invite to an exclusive womens only networking club full of influential women, such as actresses and singers, high ranking politicians, tech moguls, and more. Nicole wonders if this is the answer to her problems. Could she be that lucky? Or is she going to get caught up in more than she bargained for?
This book will definitely take you on a ride. I couldn't put it down! Highly recommended! ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
This was a very quick read! I was not expecting to sail thru this as fast as I did but I was pleasantly surprised! I like the corporate thriller genre when done well and this was done well! I was interested & intrigued in the characters especially the main character Nicole! I was invested until the end! And what an end!!!! Wow!

Thank you to Netgalley and publishers for the advanced readers copy in exchange for my honest review.
Suspenseful.   Nicole is having problems then she is invited to join a group of women who consider themselves a Pride of Lionesses.    When asked for help, each woman will help or do what’s needed.
    I liked the way the author gave bullet points such as describing coincidences or other issues.
    Thanks to Netgalley.
REVIEW

Please Join Us ~ Catherine McKenzie

READ IF:
* You’ve been on a wellness retreat.
* You considered you friend group your “tribe” or “pride.”
* A pre-war apartment is in line with your design aesthetic.

SUMMARY: When Nicole Mueller’s job starts to tank, she joins a women’s networking group to make connections and increase her book of business. Panthera Leo promotes success in women and never leaving a member of the “pride” behind. After a retreat in Colorado, Nicole starts to see the benefits of the group - her job status improves, she lands a new apartment , and she feels the support of like-minded successful females.

However, when she comes to the aid of a fellow member she become implicated in a crime and soon realizes that her connection to Panthera Leo might have her in too deep.

REVIEW: Was riding the “cult” storyline wave after The Last Housewife, but this had some snags for me. For one, the “cult” storyline wasn’t really there so my expectations were quickly dashed. If you’re interested in this one, expect more of corporate takedown. Also, I was confused…a lot. I can’t nail down if this was because the book was actually confusing or if I was a disinterested reader but nevertheless, there were a few “huh” moments, especially at the end.

Appreciated the #MeToo fight the patriarchy vibes but I felt like this one was a bit underdeveloped in the places where it could have been great - building female relationships and proving that women can have it all, even in a man’s world.
After a harsh meeting with her mentor, Nicole wonders why she's been working so hard.
Learning of her husband's aunt's decline, Nicole realizes they may soon be out of a home. Dan and Nicole have rented their fabulous apartment for years with the understanding of buying.
An email catches Nicole's attention - a group of women. Networking. Connections. Hoping to inject some life in her career, Nicole signs up.
After the bonding retreat, things start looking up. She has choices for amazing apartments with low rent. And a career boosting case. A company fired their CEO after a woman alleged inappropriate behavior.
Nicole's need to solve problems leads her down a dark path - uncovering the truth behind her new group of friends.
Kept my attention. I enjoyed the characters, the present and past narrative.
⭐⭐⭐/5

• corporate thriller
• quick binge
• the very end though 😱

The premise of the secret female boss babe society was intriguing. It was a slow set-up but plenty of fun the rest of the way. I enjoyed the relevant topics of today's world like the patriarchy and the conflict of procreation. Overall it was pretty entertaining!

🗣️ Thank you to @netgalley and @simonandschuster for the opportunity to read and review this book via gifted eARC! All opinions are honest and my own.
An elite network of women helping empower women. An interesting concept but I found it a bit underwhelming.  It was more mystery than the corporate thriller I was hoping for and I just didn't connect with the characters.
This was an interesting read! I really enjoyed the writing and moved through this one quickly. I loved the corporate cult type of feel that this book had, and I love anything involving a cult, so that really kept my interest through the whole thing.

I thought that the characters were well-written and had cool backstories that helped me keep them all straight (there weren’t that many, I just have a terrible memory). I also really liked the main character! Nicole was strong and steadfast and she asked a lot of questions, even when people flat out told her to stop.

I will say that I was a bit disappointed by the ending. It was clever and came together nicely, but there were a lot of legal details that I didn’t care to try and keep up with. I guess I thought the final twist would be bigger? I don’t know, maybe it’s a me problem.

Overall, I thought this one was well done and I would definitely recommend!

Thank you to Simon & Schuster Canada for my gifted copy. This review is posted on my Goodreads and my Bookstagram account.
REVIEW-Please Join us
★ ★ ★ .5
🔪Genre: Thriller
💭Thoughts
I want to start by thanking Catherine McKenzie and Simon Schuster for this arc. I took my time with this one as I was in a reading slump but I have to say it kept me very interested. I thought the premise of the story was exciting and I was intrigued really early on! I loved the cult vibes, especially in part 1, which was my favorite part. I loved that the story alternated between the past and the present and I found myself trying to guess how both parts came together. Although I was still very engaged with the story, part 2 is where it fell flat for me. Don't get me wrong there was still a sense of intrigue and mystery just like in part 1 but I found that the story took a different turn. There was a lot of more focus on Nicole's job and a lot of law jargon that I wasn't really a fan of.  The plot twist was unexpected but also a little confusing, and I had to reread that chapter. I loved that the ending was open-ended and made me form my own assumptions. Overall this was a great thriller and I hope to read more from this author.
Please Join Us starts off strong, with a first chapter that hooks you and leaves you wondering what’s going on. It’s a fast-paced, tense thriller with a dual timeline that I thought was well done. I liked the idea of women banding together and working the system, like a boys club.

Nicole’s life had been going well, and then her prestigious law career starts falling apart, she and her husband have to leave their apartment and their marriage is facing the question of what the future looks like together. When she receives an exclusive invitation to a women’s networking group, Panthera Leo, she thinks it’s the chance to turn everything around.

Catherine McKenzie does a masterful job of creating a ride that twists this way and that. My head was spinning until the very end.

Thanks to Simon & Schuster Canada and NetGalley for the ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Oh my goodness…this is a wow book for me.  SO many twists and turns…even the last page!  Women in business are sick of men controlling their narrative so decide to take matters into their own hands.  Who are the good guys and who are the bad guys?  You will love the ride this book takes you on to a very satisfying end!!!  I love Catherine McKenzie books.  Thank you to Netgalley for the ARC TO READ AND REVIEW
Nicole Mueller's legal career is falling apart when she receives a mysterious message for a women's networking group, Panthera Leo. A network dedicated to helping professional women succeed. Nicole sees her membership paying off when she gets a big client to relaunch her career, and a snazzy new apartment. It all seems great until she's called to a congresswoman's apartment to help cover up a crime. Will Nicole be able to remove herself from the group before it's too late?

I am low-key disappointed that Panthera Leo was such a cultish organization because if you think of it, what could be better than lifting up fellow women and helping them advance their careers!? It's so true that men do it all the time in the "boys club", without thinking twice. It's easy to see how people can get lured in by cults, particularly when they're in a low period in their life. This was an exciting, unputdown-able book with lots of twists and turns about powerful women.

Thank you to Atria and NetGalley for the eGalley. All opinions expressed are my own.
Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for allowing me to read an ARC of Please Join Us by Catherine McKenzie!!

Woman empowerment and cult vibes. What more could I ask for? This book is about woman trying to get ahead in a man’s world and the lengths they will go to to make sure that happens. Main character Nicole, who is a lawyer, joins a women's group (Panthera Leo) where they help each other get ahead, but there is always a price to be paid. This is a great, fast paced read that I thoroughly enjoyed.
I really enjoyed this new cult thriller from Canadian author Catherine McKenzie! There have been some really great cult books this year so far but I loved that this one was formed by and for smart women with the intention of giving them advantages that men get all the time. Lots of great twists to keep the story interesting and a bit of a shocking end that I wasn't expecting - plus lots of great bad men getting what they deserve too! Perfect for fans of books like A special place for women by Laura Hankin. Much thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for an early digital copy in exchange for my honest review!
Nicole Mueller is a 39-year-old lawyer who has worked for the same law firm since graduating. Minutes after the senior partner gave her a warning regarding her billing, she receives an invitation to join Panthera Leo, a highly exclusive women’s networking group. Her husband Dan worries it might be a cult but Nicole's convinced it isn’t. Once she arrives at the weeklong event, she meets the women that will be her Pride. She quickly casts her negativity aside and dives in as the women work together to support and help each other in a man's world. Late one night she’s called to the home of a woman in her pride only to find out she must help cover a crime. Can Nicole get out before it’s too late?

Please Join Us is a fast paced, suspense packed legal thriller with a cult vibe. I work in law, so I love a good legal thriller, give me all of it! The alternating timelines from past to present that spans the same year was cleverly done and kept the tension at an all time high. Nicole’s character was brilliant, I loved following along with her thought process from past to present. Catherine’s special talent is expertly crafting her twists, so it hits you like a brick wall when exposed, I love it. I really enjoyed this book, the plot, the writing, the twists and turns made this a page turner for me.

Thank you Simon and Schuster and netgalley for this ARC in exchange for an honest review.
The twists and turns. This book was a bit of a slow start for me, but once in got in to it, oh wow!
Nicole Muller is at the height of her law career and all of a sudden, the rug is getting pulled, pull up your boot straps or … she gets an invitation to join an exclusive secret women’s networking group –successful women helping each other, just like the ‘old boys club’ but better. What is there to lose? And what happens when you actually connect all the dots, or did you connect them?
I soooo not saw the end coming, and could not put it down.