Cover Image: Out of Her Depth

Out of Her Depth

Out of Her Depth is set in Tuscany at a fancy villa. Rachel is a student from a poor part of London but lands work at the villa and is thrilled to work with swanky colleagues.
It turns out that a colleague who seemed to be helping Rachel turns on her.
Backstabbing, a dead body and a luxurious setting make this a light hearted read for the summer
Toxic friendships? Psychological thriller? Unreliable narrators? Those with and without? Set in the past and the present? What more could you really look for in a summer read?

Rachel travels to Italy one summer as a college student, having landed a job at a privileged vacation spot. Immersing herself in this lifestyle and trying to win Sebastian, with the help of her new friend Diana, all looks to be sunny. But how well do you really know your friend and their intentions? What lengths will you go to when you feel you want something?

This deadly tale with betrayal and tons of manipulation will have you asking who is really telling the truth. Gripping and a page turner I recommend this for a fantastic summer read.
Out of Her Depth is the perfect thriller, beautiful location, devious mean girl, and a lover's triangle.
Thank you HTP, Mira Books and NetGalley for this wonderful digital review copy.
First off, Thank you to Harlequin Trade Publishing, MIRA and NetGalley for allowing me to read and review this digital ARC of Out of her Depth

Great writing with masses of small details that put the reader right into the scene. Chilling story centred around two young women working a summer season at a very expensive villa location in Italy: one from a middle income, fairly strict family; and the other outrageously rich with all the affectation of wealth. When the nephew of the villa owner arrives friendships develop - as do rivalries, jealousy and calculated manipulation. This book will keep you guessing and on your seat. It was twisty, unpredictable and mysterious and had me turning pages at the speed of light. A really enjoyable read.
Out of Her Depth was exactly the kind of book I'm always craving! A riveting psychological thriller with toxic friendships, twists and turns you won't see coming, and a fantastic ending! This is the perfect summer thriller!
I had high hopes for this book as I love stories about friendships with toxic relationships. I was not let down. The author has a keen eye for character detail and a great sense of place.
Publication date: June 28th, 2022

Thank you to NetGalley, the author, and the publisher for the opportunity to read and review an advanced reader's copy of this book. This in no way affects my review, all opinions are my own and may be affected by the fact that it is windy and freezing rain outside and I have nothing better to do than read multiple books a day!

SYNOPSIS
*****************
There are summers that will change your life.

There are summers that may end it.

In the lush green hills beyond Florence sits the Villa Medici—a graceful pensione surrounded by manicured gardens. Rachel, a college student from an unfashionable London suburb, can’t believe her luck in landing a summer job here. Especially when she’s drawn into a circle of privileged young sophisticates, including her glamorous coworker Diana, who promises to help Rachel win the affections of handsome, confident Sebastian.

But as champagne flows and rivalries fester in the Tuscan countryside, Rachel realizes that Diana has motivations of her own. Adrift in a world of backstabbing and bed-hopping, lavish parties and easy betrayal, Rachel feels the stakes rising along with the temperature until, one night, something snaps. Someone dies. And nothing will ever be the same…

In this atmospheric thriller set in sun-drenched Tuscany, Lizzy Barber weaves a deadly web of manipulation and desire that will keep readers enthralled until the breathtaking last page.

Oh, I do so now want to go to Tuscany ... despite the fact that I hate tourists and crowds! Now, sitting at that villa and cooking with local foods and reading for a summer? That would be my kind of vacation...I will settle for Montreal this spring and the eight different cooking classes that I have booked whilst there.

The story was expertly crafted with memorable characters that you will either love or loathe: the perfect formula for a summer read! I love the tagline "Drowning in lies" - it sets up the promised potboiler story that will keep you enthralled for hours on end.

🏖️🏖️🏖️🏖️🏖️ Take this book to the beach (or your back yard, porch or balcony) and enjoy it - just wear a tonne of SPF110 as you will lose track of time as you read this. - If we are in the 9th or 10th wave/mutation of COVID19 by then, stay inside: no tan is worth dying for in these pandemic/endemic times. 🏖️🏖️🏖️🏖️🏖️ #maddogsandenglishmen
I’m always a big fan of books involving fractured friendships, so I was really hyped forward this book. Overall, it was good,. it held my interest and I was able to read it very quickly. I did connect with the main character in the way she felt she needed to always please others. I enjoyed the descriptive writing. I also liked the fact that I wasn’t able to guess the ending, so that’s always a bonus. I definitely appreciated the twists and turns and the descriptive writing of the Italian Riviera. Thank you to NetGalley and Harlequin publishing for the ARC,
I will publish a review on my bookstagram page in the near future:).
the book follows Rachel every other chapter going between the present and the past of Rachel's summer in Florence where she meets Diana (Di) and Sebastian (who she falls head over heels for). Something happened during that summer and Sebastian was sent to prison. After 21 years he is freed. He has always claimed his innocence and once out of prison wants to prove that...He contacts Rachel because he thinks she knows something that can help prove his innocence

I was excited for the premise but was let down. I found Rachel was obsessed with Di from the moment she met her, it wasn't until halfway through the book you got a hint of the crime that happened and those who were involved. It goes through Rachel's summer in Italy and how she gets swept up in the friendship with Di. I got irritated with Rachel and she became a bit stalkerish. I did however feel I should finish just to see what actually happened...and it took a while
An Italian summer spent lazing by the pool, soaking up the sun during the day and partying by night. English college student Rachel is thrilled to land a summer job at the Villa Medici where the sophisticated Dina takes Rachel under her wing, promising to help Rachel land the handsome and charming Sebastian. Rachel isn’t aware that this group of hedonists has a hidden agenda and none of them care what happens to her. While the setting for this story was dazzling, I found it hard to find anything to like in any of the characters, including Rachel, who just seems too clueless