Cover Image: A Feeling of Home

A Feeling of Home

How does one adjust from being a selfish, pampered socialite, born into a rich family to a destitute homeless person overnight? This is what our heroine, Isabelle faces. Now she and her younger sister are depending on others for a job and a place to live. She however, starts to make a change in her attitude, realizing how haughty she was in her dealings with others and now she is being dealt the same by her used to be friends.  She once disdained and scorned Dr. Mark Henshaw for remaining with his patient at the Bennington Place Maternity Home when her mother’s life hung in the balance. She then blamed him for her mother’s death. Now she finds him to be a friend and someone that she learned to trust and rely on when others are shunning her. Cautiously offering his help, Mark and Isabelle begin to forge a totally different kind of relationship, but could it become more? I enjoyed reading how Isabelle learns to accept being one of the lower class and learning to work with her own hands and loving people for who they are and not what they possess……I received a copy of this book from the author and publisher. The opinions stated above are entirely my own.
Susan Anne Mason has come to be one of my favorite writers for character-driven historical Christian fiction. A Feeling of Home transported me to 1940’s Toronto, Canada and packed an emotional punch with heart-wrenching family dilemmas and a sweet romance. Isabelle Wardrop and Dr. Mark Henshaw both experience profound loss and have the responsibility of caring for a younger sibling. As an attraction grows between them, the choices their siblings make directly impact their relationship. With so many forces seemingly aligned against them, will they find the happiness and feeling of home they both long for again?

I enjoyed the emotional pull of this story. Isabelle is a strong-willed yet compassionate character who at first seemed like a spoiled, obnoxious socialite, but when her parents both die and she’s left penniless, she has to grow up quickly. I admired her persistence and willingness to sacrifice for her sister. She undergoes a massive transformation throughout the story and it was enjoyable watching her find hidden talents and strength.

Dr. Mark Henshaw is a caring, thoughtful, forgiving person. Despite the way Isabelle treats him at first, he understands where she’s coming from and forgives her behavior. I loved watching their relationship grow from friendship to more. Their siblings cause an awful lot of issues and while I predicted some things, there were some definite twists that added quite a bit of drama. The constant push and pull between Isabelle and Mark was almost too much at some points. Isabelle’s sister frustrated me, but her age and immaturity made her actions understandable.

The historical aspects of the story were interesting. I didn’t know much about how Canadians viewed WWII and it was fascinating to realize attitude differences compared with the United States. It was also interesting to learn about the polio outbreaks and sanitation issues in lower class neighborhoods, as well as how Dr. Henshaw’s work with unwed mothers impacted his career.

This book can definitely be read as a standalone. Although I hadn’t read the previous two books, I didn’t feel like I was missing anything and look forward to reading them. If you enjoy well written character-driven stories with plenty of drama and a sweet, tender romance, I recommend adding this book to your list. I received a complimentary copy from the publisher through LibraryThing. All opinions are my own and I was not required to provide a positive review.
Isabelle's life had changed so suddenly. She lost her parents, her home, and her fortune. She was doing all she could to survive and care for her younger sister. Mark was a kind guy. He was a doctor and he just wanted to help others. He was trying his best to raise his younger brother but it was not always easy.  This story has such a luxurious word flow!  a desire to follow God's calling for their lives, the characters' struggles against insurmountable odds, except for faith, and the courage to admit mistakes. The historical aspect was not the main focus. It was a character-driven story dealing with real-life situations. I really enjoyed the sweet romance combined with enjoyable personalities. though rather predictable it had some unexpected twists. While It can be read as a stand-alone I suggest you won’t want to miss the previous books and get to know recurring characters.
I very much enjoyed this story, set in 1944 Toronto.  I have not read the prior stories in the series, I had no problem reading this as a stand-alone.  I could tell that certain supporting characters had had their stories told previously, but I did not feel I was missing critical information.  Both Mark and Isabelle have to deal with a series of blows affecting themselves and their families.  The difficulties that they face in carving out a relationship are entirely in keeping with their tragic circumstances and personal upheavals, The misunderstandings can be frustrating to the reader, but they are believable.

I did question why WWII plays such a minor role in the story.  It really doesn't come up at all until the end when one character joins the service.  I realize Canada did not have a universal draft like the U, S. did, but it seemed strange that there were so many men in the story of an age to be in the armed forces who weren't, and no-one seemed to think anything of it.     I was also unhappy that a character that cause a great deal of harm to Isabelle's younger sister was not held accountable in any way.  But overall, it was a very satisfying story.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher in return for an honest review.
A Feeling of Home is a charming addition to the Redemption’s Light series by Susan Anne Mason. It can easily be read as a stand alone book, but it was delightful to see characters from previous books in the series show up in this story. The setting in Canada in 1944 added to my enjoyment of the story.

I’m so glad that Dr. Mark Henshaw finally got his own story. He and Isabelle Wardrop are wonderful characters, and I was rooting for them from the start. I loved Mark’s compassionate and caring heart. Isabelle took me a while to warm up to, but I enjoyed seeing her heart and perspective change when she went from being a pampered, privileged daughter to an orphan with no money, house, or job and in charge of her younger sister.

This is a beautiful story of healing, forgiveness, hope, and faith, and a lovely conclusion to the series. I would recommend this to those who enjoy well-written historical fiction.  4.5 stars

I voluntarily reviewed a complimentary copy from Bethany House Publishers. All opinions are my own.
I enjoyed this historic novel very much and thought Mason has done a great job with bringing this story to life.
In my opinion this is the best one of the series so far. I do love this series. It's one of my favorites by her.
Isabella and Marissa had so much to overcome and I thought Mason brought their feelings and thoughts to the pages very well. I  really enjoyed in getting to know them. I was proud of Isabella.
The cover is simply beautiful.
I couldn't put this book down until the end! I was sad it was over.
Mark was an awesome character too and I really appreciated how Susan rounded him out to be a most satisfying character.  I liked that none of these characters were perfect.  They all needed Him. We all need Him. Not any one of us can do it alone.  I'm so thankful for Jesus.  I don't know where I'd be without him.  Do y'all?
I highly recommend.  5 stars for a very satisfying read.
My thanks for a copy of this book.  I was NOT required to write a positive review.  All opinions are my own.
It's a lovely ending to a lovely series. Susan Anne Mason deftly infuses Canadian history with faith and sweet romance. It was interesting to see 1944 through Canadian perspective and I really enjoyed getting to know Dr Henshaw better. The way that medicine and the medical hierarchy worked during this period was also fascinating to learn about. Dr Mark Henshaw is as upright, compassionate, thoughtful, tender and faithful as he appeared in the previous books, if not more so. Isabelle comes off harsh and haughty in the beginning, but her soft loving heart breaks through her grief and disappointment to be a beacon to others around her. Mark and Isabelle's perseverance and fortitude to find their dream, even in the midst of terrible circumstances, is encouraging. I really enjoyed seeing Olivia, Darius, and Jane from the previous books as secondary characters in this story.

I received the book from the publisher and was under no obligation to post a positive comment. All opinions are my own.
I have read every book in this series and I have enjoyed them. The message in them are all very good and that was something I really appreciated.

I liked Isabelle’s perseverance as she had a lot to overcome and her dedication to her sister was admirable.

But I will say I struggled with this one a bit more then the previous books. I felt like Mark and Isabelle were just constantly back and forth, it became a little bit too unbelievable at the end and I felt like the ending was drawn out. Marissa, Isabelle’s sister, was pretty wishy washy and I didn’t care for her much at all, she was pretty selfish.

I also thought a sub-plot could have been added with what happen to Isabelle’s father, I just kept waiting for that shoe to drop but it never did.

Overall, this book has a good message but it wasn’t my favorite of the three.

A copy of this book was given to me through Netgalley. All opinions are my own.
This is a wonderful historical novel.

I love the main characters in this book. There are a number of very important characters not just the four that I consider the main ones.

From the very beginning my heart went out to Isabelle Wardrop and her sister Marissa. I can’t even imagine the heartache and confusion they were going through as they tried to piece their lives back together. I was amazed at the strength of character that Isabelle displayed in the aftermath of tragedy.

Mark Henshaw was also an amazingly strong character with a heart to help others. He definitely had some flaws, but don’t we all. Alongside Mark was his brother Josh. I understood the struggles that existed between them as they were dealing with their relationship as brothers as well as guardian and ward.

I loved seeing how many people stepped up beside Isabelle and Marissa and worked to help them through a very trying period. The individual journey’s of growth and maturity that all four of the main characters had to take were very intertwined and yet at the same time different.

I received a complimentary copy of this book from the publisher, through NetGalley. I was not required to write a positive review. All of the opinions expressed are my own.
I have thoroughly enjoyed this series and its focus on the plight of unwed mothers in 1944. Mason has done a remarkable job showing the prejudices against places like the Bennington Place Maternity Home as well as the compassion and empathy of those who worked tirelessly to provide a safe place for these pregnant women. In this story, Isabelle and Marissa’s parents are gone and they are thrust into a new way of life they are wholly unprepared for. They have some faithful friends who help them get on their feet again. It’s a beautiful story of compassion and friendship.

Mark and Isabelle are both so caught up in helping their younger siblings that they don’t always listen to them. It’s easy to relate to wanting the best for someone and sacrificing for them as well as feeling the tension of letting them live their own lives and make their own mistakes.

Thank you to Bethany House for providing me with a free e-copy of this book. All opinions are my own.
This was a great conclusion to the series. I thought Mason ties up all loose ends well and I was especially glad Mark got his own book.

I didn't expect to end up liking Belle as much as I did. But she showed a lot of growth in this book and ended up being a character I really admired.

I loved Mark in this book. I always respected him as a doctor, but this book made me love him as a person too. He wasn't perfect, but he admitted his faults when he needed to.

But what I've loved most about this series is how it has focused on helping people in need, the important of adoption and/or helping single mothers, and just helping others in general. It is a very inspiring series.

I received an advanced copy of this book through NetGalley. This is my honest review.
I have enjoyed this sweet series and was happy to see previous characters in this offering. Susan Anne Mason tells a very precious and moving story here. I enjoyed it so much.

My thanks to Bethany House for a copy of this book via Net Galley. The opinion in this review is my own.
Isabelle Wardrop and her sister Marissa are faced with loosing both of their parents within weeks of each other. After the death of their father, they learn that the family finances are dismal and the girls will have to leave their home if the loan can not be paid. In the coming weeks they learn who is a real true friend and who was just around because of social standing. Belle and Rissa embark on a journey of healing from the grief of loosing both their parents and learning how to provide a living for themselves. When Rissa learns she is expecting at the age of 17, she needs Belle more than ever. Mark and his brother Josh lost their parents years ago and without the other knowing they  begin to offer friendship to the sisters.  While each relationship has its own sets of ups and downs the reminder that no matter how rough things get God has not left you is never far away.  There is so much in this book. I enjoyed it immensely.  This book can be read as a stand alone, however, I enjoyed it as part of the Redemption’s Light series.

**I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
A Feeling of Home by Susan Anne Mason was a very refreshing and sweet read.    This is my first exposure to Ms. Mason's writings and it captured my attention from the first few pages.  I was unaware that this book was the third in Ms. Mason's Redemption's Light series, but the reader could easily pick up this book and not have any trouble jumping right in to the World War II Canadian home front.  I am always intrigued by a story set in the time of the world wars, but especially a story set in World War II.  The characters in this work were well developed and  were portrayed realistically without seeming to be too perfect to exist.  I appreciated Ms. Mason's ability to bring each character through various difficulties, joys, and heartaches in order to show the readers and the other characters the character's inner strength.  This book by Ms. Mason was genuinely an enjoyable read and had excellent themes of faith, love, family, and forgiveness. I enjoyed reading this book by Ms. Mason and hope that you have the chance to read it for yourself!
Isabelle Wardrop has been blessed with a life of luxury where her needs are always met by her rich and loving parents.  Isabelle and her younger sister Marissa suddenly become orphans by the tragic deaths of both of their parents within just a few months.  Along with her grief, Isabelle quickly discovers that her father's fortunes are virtually non-existent.  With no other options, Isabelle turns to move in with their only friend in the world Fiona, their kind former servant. Both sisters are surprised by the difficulties of living in a less well off area of the city, but persevere through all of their setbacks.  After Isabelle unsuccessfully searches for a job, she reluctantly accepts the help and recommendation of Dr. Mark Henshaw. Isabelle unjustly blames her family's doctor, Dr. Henshaw for her mother's death, but her hatred shifts to friendship as Dr. Henshaw continues to show compassion and kindness to Isabelle and Marissa.
Dr. Mark Henshaw has experienced much in his young life, yet he has remained compassionate, driven, and passionate about caring for others, especially those whom society tries to forget and cast away.  Mark's younger brother Josh has been his main focus in life.  Mark has always admired Isabelle, but due to their different classes in life, never thought that he would be able to win her hand.  While helping Isabelle find employment, Mark and Isabelle form a tentative friendship. However, when Mark and Isabelle discover that their younger siblings have formed a relationship, they realize that more trouble is ahead.  Can Mark and Isabelle's friendship survive the surprising twists and turns that are thrown into their paths?  Will they be able to help their siblings to not ruin their futures? Can Mark and Isabelle forgive each other when their siblings disappoint and betray them?  Read A Feeling of Home to find out for yourself!
Disclaimer: Bethany House Publisher graciously provided me with a copy of this book through NetGalley. All opinions are my own and part of an unbiased review.
A Feeling of Home
This novel was enjoyable, though rather predictable it had some unexpected twists.  The historical aspect was not the main focus. It was a character driven story dealing with real life situations. The characters were believable and well portrayed. It was a two day read for me. I would read another novel by Susan Mason, but usually I want a bit more about the historical aspect of the story. This story seemed more about struggles with societies financial pigeon holes of WW2 era. I wish they allowed half stars since this was a 3 1/2 star read for me. Thanks to Bethany House and Net Galley for this advance review copy. I will add a review to Amazon on July 5.
This book was a rewarding conclusion to Susan Ann Mason’s Redemption’s Light series.

When Isabelle loses first her mother, then her father, then her home and all the stability from her life, she finds she’s much stronger than she thought. She also recognizes her own flaws and realizes some of the mistakes she had made— like blaming Dr. Mark Henshaw for her mother’s death. It turns out Mark is still her friend, even after how she treated him, and proves himself when her other friends disappear. And she never could have imagined how much they would have in common… orphans raising their teenage siblings. Isabelle and Mark unite to try to help both her sister Marissa and his brother Josh make the best choices, but when everything seems to fall apart, they eventually realize they need to rely on God— not their own strength.

I really liked Isabelle’s journey of finding her inner strength and finding her rock in Christ in this story. And Isabelle and Mark’s love story had some of the sweetest moments! Of course, there were a couple times where I wanted to throttle both of them… the mark of well-done, realistic characters! I’m so glad Mark finally got his happy ending. I enjoyed visiting with Olivia, Ruth, and Jane from the previous stories. Aunt Rosie and Fiona were such good secondary characters! Ah, Josh and Marissa. Teenagers making bad choices and being overly stubborn and… growing up before my eyes as I turned the pages. Their ending is equally rewarding as the one between Isabelle and Mark.

If you like stories where the characters really grow, you’ll love this book! Also recommended for any lovers of historical fiction/romance (the series is set in WWII era Toronto). Not necessary to have read the other two first, but more rewarding if you do.

Thank you to Netgalley and Bethany House for the privilege of reading this book for review. My opinions are my own.
Isabelle's life was turned upside down after her mother's death and her father's suicide. I liked that Isabelle was determined to make a life for her and her sister. Mark was also dealing with taking care of his younger sibling while compassionately taking care of patients in and out of the hospital. Depression and out of wedlock pregnancy drove this story. Social classes were distinctly different in the 1940's and interaction between the two frowned upon. I loved the characters and the story even though it was quite predictable at times. Recommended.
# 3 Redemption's Light
by Susan Mason
Pub Date: July 5, 2022
Bethany House
Thanks to the author, publisher, and NetGalley for the ARC of this book.
I purchase this author for our library regularly, but this is the first Susan Mason book I have read.
I really enjoyed this book, and I think you will find yourself curling up in a cozy spot and savoring each page as well. While this book can be read as a stand-alone, I recommend you read the other books in the series. A Haven for Her Heart and To Find Her Place,  I know I will be adding to my reading list to read the first two in the series. I highly recommend this book!
4 stars
A Feeling of Home by Susan Anne Mason will have you curling up in your favourite "reading" spot and savouring every word.

Isabelle Wardrop and her sister Marissa have lost everything - their parents, home, and fortune. Both girls are taken in by a former servant in a less than desirable part of the city. Their positions in society downgraded overnight. It is up to Isabelle to find a way to survive in a world utterly foreign to them.

Enter Mark Henshaw, their former doctor. He rescues Isabelle more than once during this absorbing tale. I loved how both were dealing with the unexplainable actions of their siblings. The lesson is that you cannot control the activities of others no matter how hard you try. You can also give advice until the cows come home, but if someone isn't willing to listen, you just have to wait on God and see how everything will play out. Trust not only in God but in each other was brilliantly portrayed in the relationships of these characters.

The novel's strength lies in the author's ability to bring faith in God into the picture (without being preachy). Showing kindness, mercy and grace instead of judging others is always a balm for the soul.

While this book can be read as a stand-alone, I recommend you read the other books in the series. A Haven for Her Heart and To Find Her Place, just because the stories are good and address critical issues. I loved how the author brought Olivia, Ruth and Darius back from the first book. It was beautiful to connect with them again. I highly recommend this book!

I received a review copy courtesy of Bethany House through NetGalley for my honest review.
A Feeling of Home by Susan Anne Mason returns readers to Canada and the house owned by Ruth and Olivia, whose stories are told in the first two books in the series. With the lose of their parents and their lifestyle, Isabelle and her younger sister Marissa are thrown into a world they have never encountered before. The plot is sweet and moving while the romance is a typical romance for a historical romance or any genre for that matter. Deny the feelings. Reality check. Someone does something to make the other person upset, then the romance goes to the side. But then they reconcile and everything moves back toward the happily-ever-after moment. The strongest point of the novel is Mason’s idea of being nice to everyone no matter what situation they find themselves currently in because you do not know what happened to put them in that position. Everyone deserves another chance or 70 because it is everyone’s duty to love others. Overall, A Feeling of Home by Susan Anne Mason is a sweet story that reminds readers that home is not the physical place you reside in, but where the love and support of others develop and encircle you. Definitely a delightful story filled with a memorable lesson.

I received a complimentary copy of A Feeling of Home by Susan Anne Mason from Bethany House Publishers, but the opinions stated are all my own.