Cover Image: Dewey Decimated

Dewey Decimated

Dewey Decimated (Haunted Library 6)
by Allison Brook

Yay! It’s September in New Haven. We’re back in joining Carrie and her ghostly helper Evelyn Havers. If you’ll remember Carrie is an events coordinator at Clover Ridge Library and new on the town council. She’s also engaged to Dylan Avery, a successful investigator.
The library is being connected to a new purchase of a late 1700s building next door. On the first day of the new construction, Carrie sees Sally the library director is arguing with the foreman about patron parking. Later that morning a body was found in the house, and we’re off! From chapter three forward with few exceptions, we’re in a race to solve the crime and keep Carrie from joining her ghostly friend Evelyn!

I have gifted and read every book in this series. This series is a favorite that never disappoints. Ms. Brooks does a wonderful job with her characters in terms of personal progression. I would not think twice about letting 6th grade and higher read this series. A good solid mystery from a talented writer! 5*****

Thank you to the author, publisher, and NetGalley for the ARC.
Fictional librarians are a favorite read for me, a retired librarian and Allison Brook’s stories are so good I can get passed the ghost character. But having 2 ghosts was just annoying. Also annoying is another example of a book title having absolutely nothing to do with the story.Nevertheless I recommend the book because the plot, setting and other characters are well written. Thanks to #NetGalley and #Dewey Decimated
for advanced digital copy.
This sixth book in the Haunted Library Mysteries was set in early fall so it was just perfect for my start of fall. I have read other books in this series before and have enjoyed my visits to fictional Clover Ridge, CT, and it’s librarian Carrie who can communicate with the library’s resident ghost Evelyn which gives her and decided advantage over the police when solving crimes from the past. This book starts out with a new ghost appearing - a body has been found in the old building next to the library now that it’s undergoing renovations to be an addition to the library. Who is this body and the connected or disconnected ghost who appeared in the library at the time the body was discovered …
Each of the books in this series can be read as a standalone, but, as with any series, the reading experience is so much more enjoyable when starting from the beginning, Carrie, the sleuth has come a long way since the first book and her personal growth is fun to observe and cheer on.
All the characters, both human and ghostly, are well developed and likable. The library setting adds a nice touch that I appreciate a lot. This book ends up having two murders one from five years ago one current and the strands that connect them or potentially connect them, the multiple suspects and red herrings keep you wondering and trying to solve the mystery.
It is the first mystery in the Haunted Library series that I read and it was a good one, easily readable as a standalone too. I enjoyed the overall small town ambiance with its town council drama; and the presence of actual ghosts in the library makes it a great choice to get into the Halloween spirit.

It’s a well written whodunnit with a cast of relatable characters. Recommended!
Dewey Decimated is book #6 in the Haunted Library Mystery series by Allison Brook.

Carrie is Clover Ridge’s version of Nancy Drew.  The library is expanding and, during construction, a body is discovered.  His ghost shows up and needs Carrie’s help. She also has to make a decision on property as part of the town council.

I enjoyed this book. Carrie, her friends and family are likable characters as is Smokey Joe. The antics of the reporter were over the top and entertaining for the reader, not so much for Carrie and the police.  I recommend this book.

Thank you to the author, Crooked Lane Books, and NetGalley for the Advanced Reader Copy (ARC) copy of this book and I am voluntarily leaving an honest review.
Loved reading this book and author. If you haven't read it yet I highly recommend her and her books. Read in order
This has been one of my favorite cozy mystery series since book one and this was no different.  Carrie has grown up a lot and now we see her dealing with her new position on the town council as well as trying to figure out what her life with Dylan will look like.  As well, she is kept busy by her job as program director at the local library.  Oh - and in investigating a murder or two!

One of my least favorite things in books with ghosts is the awkward situations that occur when a character is talking to a ghost that no one else can see.  This has been mostly avoided in this series and I've really enjoyed that Carrie is also honest with those close to her.  It cuts down on unnecessary misunderstandings and allows the focus to be on the plot.

The mystery kept me engaged and guessing though it did take a bit to develop as the bulk of the first half of the book is filled with just figuring out who the corpse belongs to.  I liked that Evelyn and Dylan took a more active role in the investigation and the addition of another ghost was entertaining.

I very much enjoy this cozy mystery series and feel like with each book I get to know Carrie and the community of Clover Ridge a bit better.
⭐⭐⭐⭐ -- Cute cover!

This is one of those times where my horrible memory of late has worked to my advantage. 😆 I read a couple of the previous books in this series and didn't love them. If I had remembered that detail, i probably wouldn't have requested an ARC of this one. And that would have been unfortunate because I actually ended up enjoying this one quite a bit! Carrie wasn't overly annoying. Angela was barely in it. The mystery was engaging and kept me guessing. I'll definitely be checking out the next book in the series.  👍🏻

**ARC Via NetGalley**
I was happy to visit Carrie, her family, and friends in Clover Ridge! The author paints beautiful pictures of Connecticut in early autumn, especially the preserve. My favorite parts are catching up with Carrie and her friends and watching the new mystery unfold, as I’ve loved this upbeat series from the beginning.

It is September, almost a year since Carrie was promoted to a dream job as head of programs and events at the library. It has also been nearly a year since she became reacquainted with Dylan, a childhood friend. I am delighted to see how this former goth girl blossomed into a beloved community member who has helped the police solve several murders.

It is interesting to me to see what Carrie and her assistants put into the various events. Until reading this series, I didn’t know how much goes into quality programs. She and Dylan recently became engaged and will set a wedding date soon. Carrie has overseen planning for construction on the auditorium portion of the new library annex. The structure had stood vacant for more than a decade and is close enough to the library building that they are being combined. As if that isn’t enough, she is also filling in a town council seat that was recently vacated. One of her close friends is Evelyn, who had worked at the library and was murdered behind it several years ago. Evelyn is a ghost, and her murder is one that Carrie helped solve. Evelyn is always interested in local news and is a font of wisdom.

Construction comes to an abrupt halt when someone finds the remains of a man in the annex. It has been years since the man died, so there was little forensic evidence. They learn that he was murdered about 5 to 8 years ago and had no ID. His ghost has just come into the library. He has no idea who or where he is or what happened. He is not wise and peaceful like Evelyn, instead, he scares the patrons and badgers Carrie constantly.

Julie, an aggressive investigative reporter from the local TV station, began to investigate when she thought the police department was not working fast enough. She discovered the man was Alec, from Chicago. He was Dylan’s uncle and had not been seen for several years. Dylan and his now-deceased parents had cut him off from the family long before he died. Julie, knowing Carrie’s ability to solve murders, tries to team up with her, but Carrie has neither time nor inclination to do so.

An important vote has just been taken at the town council that left two members very unhappy with the loss of their pet projects. Hours later, Sean, another of the members, was found murdered. He had been well-liked by the town and recently learned his cancer was terminal. The suspect list is a work in progress, as each plot twist adds to who may have done it.

Carrie and her friends invited me into the novel from the start and kept me engaged throughout. The author has a perfect balance between funny, warm-hearted, romantic, and sad moments. While romance is present, it does not overwhelm the plot. There are also brief, enlightening discussions on family dynamics experienced by Dylan and Carrie. The mysteries were challenging, and while I guessed part of the solution, I was totally surprised at part of it. I highly recommend this novel and series to those who enjoy dynamic characters and libraries with a light paranormal element.

From a thankful heart: I received an ARC of this novel from the publisher through NetGalley, a positive review was not required.
I received a free epub copy from NetGalley!

I thoroughly enjoyed this book.  The pacing was on the slow side to me but not in an annoying way.  The characters were well developed and showed growth through the course of the book.  The book had several moments that shocked me as well as made me laugh.

I enjoyed where the characters stood in regards to their relationship.  Having an established relationship where they are both comfortable with each other was nice.  I also liked how the relationship was still with an investigator but not the one directly working the case.
Dewey Decimated is the sixth book in The Haunted Library Mysteries by Allison Brook.

The addition will give the library much-needed space and provide an auditorium for Carrie, director of events and programs. Construction halted when a body was found under a shelf in the basement. The body is believed to have been in the basement for around five years.  The next day, Carrie is talking with Evelyn, the library’s resident ghost.  Carrie and her young niece are the only persons who can see and hear Evelyn.  As Carrie is telling Evelyn about the body, the spirit of that body shows up.  The ghost doesn't know who he is, where he is from, or why he is in Clover Ridge.  Julie, Carrie’s nemesis, an investigative reporter, provides Carrie with his name-Alec Dunmore  Alec, it turns out, is the estranged uncle of her fiance, Dylan.  Dylan had lost contact with his uncle in his teen years.  Carrie and Dylan will work together to learn how Alec met his tragic end.

A subplot to the story involves the recent appointment to the Town Council.  The council needs to decide within three months about a plot of land called Seabrook Preserve, or it will lose its sanctuary status.  The council needs to determine if the property will be sold for condominium development, turn it into a park, or keep it as a sanctuary.

The book is another excellently written and plotted story from Ms. Brook.  Most of the well-developed and interesting characters are back once again.  There were plenty of red herrings that I kept guessing until the end about who the killer was.

I’m looking forward to the next book in this wonderful series.
Carrie Singleton is excited about the expansion of her beloved library -- until a body is found at the site. As police (and Carrie!) work to solve that mystery, Carrie becomes involved in a second mystery.  She is member of the town council, and after a controversial vote, one of the council members also turns up dead.  Carrie works to solve this mystery as well, often with the help of her ghostly librarian friend, Evelyn.

I wanted to read Dewey Decimated because I have read all the previous books in this series and have enjoyed them all.  The little Connecticut town is charming, and I love the library, the staff, Carrie's aunt and uncle, and especially her ghost friend Evelyn, her fiance Dylan, and her library cat, Smokey Joe.

This cozy mystery was such a treat -- it had not one but two mysteries to solve, and all the regular, favorite cast members were part of the story.  Carrie did a great job of detecting - with the help of Evelyn, and with the help/not-help (!) of an ambitious local reporter, Julie, who wants to team up with her.

I was a bit surprised by the answers to the two mysteries, but I enjoyed seeing how Carrie solved both. The book is well written and the mystery moves along at a brisk pace.

I highly recommend Dewey Decimated and the Haunted Library series to fans of cozy mysteries, and especially for anyone who enjoys small town settings, a gentle paranormal element, and cats.
Thank you NetGalley and Crooked Lane Books for providing me with an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review. Dewey Decimated is the newest entry in the Haunted Library series. This time, there is a new ghost in the library, and Carrie investigates, despite the fact that she did not initially intend to do so. She also has her hands full with the city council and a journalist who does not respect her intention not to investigate. The storyline was interesting, especially considering the fact that the new ghost was Dylan's uncle. There are many things going on with the city council as well, and both aspects of the mystery seem to be linked.

This series is getting better with each book. Even though it can be read as a standalone, it is best enjoyed if read in sequence. Highly recommended!
Thank you to @netgalley and @crookedlanebooks for the ARC of Dewey Decimated, book 6 in the Haunted Library mystery series by Allison Brook (pen name for Marilyn Levinson).

It was great to return to Clover Ridge and spend time with Librarian Carrie, her cat Smoky Joe and the rest of her close knit community including librae ghost Evelyn.

A solid entry into a great library cozy mystery series and I thought I had the mystery solved only to be surprised! I’m always sorry when these books end.
Dewey Decimated is #6 in the Haunted Library series, and a great addition it is too.

We have all the usual characters, plus an extra library Ghost who creates a bit of a mystery and a rather cold feel in the library.  And we learn a tad more about Evelyn the usual library ghost.

Carrie is busy with the library and her work on the local council. She finds herself up against a cold case and then one that just happens. Are the two linked in some way? As well at the library there are renovations going on that will see the library enlarged.

Like a thorn in Carrie's  side - Julie a local reporter seems to think that she and Carrie can form a team of sleuths. I wondered what eventually would become of Julie. I thought it was likely she could find herself murdered!

I really enjoyed the read, so easy to pick up, sink into and enjoy. Already looking forward to #7 and seeing does Carrie grow any closer to marrying Dylan.  By the way I didn't read the blurb and pleased I didn't because it gives away too much about the book.
This is the sixth book of the Haunted Library Mysteries series by Allison Brook.  I picked it up because it sounds like a fun series; and because the title said Dewey (which made me think of library) and Decimated (which made me think of murder).  So - a murder mystery set in a library.  Sounds like good reading to me.  I haven't read any other books in this series.

Well, the body wasn't found in the library, but was in the basement of the building attached to the library.  Carrie Singleton is the librarian for the spooky library set in Clover Ridge, Connecticut.  Apparently, she has been involved in some other murder cases in previous books.  This time the victiim is her fiance's Uncle Alec.  Dylan hadn't seen his uncle in years.  The library ghost, Evelyn, informs that Alec can't move on until his murder is solved.  Now the library has a second ghost!

An enjoyable, ghostly cozy mystery.  The library has a cool cat called Smoky Joe.  Ghosts in a library is a fun theme.  There are some interesting turns in the investigation.  The characters were likeable, as was the town, and the plot was fun.  Very cute cover too.

Thanks to Crooked Lane Books through Netgalley for an advance copy.  This book will be published on September 6, 2022.
Another good addition to this series. Carrie is surprised to find another ghost in the library...and of course that means that a body is sure not to be far behind. So begins another interesting mystery filled with misdirects, growth in characters and relationships and a great cat, Smokey Joe.

It is interesting to see Carrie really settling into the town. In fact, in this book she becomes involved in local politics when she takes over someone's seat on the Town Council. Of course, that leads to complications galore. Particularly when it comes to figuring out what to do with a prime piece of real estate on Long Island Sound. Some want to keep it a nature preserve, others want it to become a park and some want to sell it to developers. It adds depth and realism to the story. The major thing that I think is missing in this is the environmental report. They would have to have one done. It just seems like to me that it is glaring that it is missing in the story.

Anyways, I enjoyed it as I have all the others in the series. There are some great characters and growth which you don't always see in cozies.

Thanks to Netgalley and the publishers for an ARC in return for an honest opinion.
I really enjoyed that. All the clues kept me guessing and since I kept wanting to follow the trails of the shiny red herrings, most of the big reveal came as a genuine surprise to me when we got to that point. I love the growth we’ve seen in Carrie. She’s a stronger, more mature woman than who we were first introduced to. I particularly like seeing that even though she’s become more willing to stand up for what she believes in, she’s also more cautious with her personal safety. It’s been fun watching the evolution of her relationships, too. All of these things together mean that I’m very excited to see where the author is going to take Carrie next.
I received a complimentary advanced copy of this book through NetGalley.
With Dewey Decimated, the 6th and newest novel in The Haunted Library Mysteries, Allison Brook brings us another book that I fell into and wandered through enjoying every minute visiting old friends and keeping up with their lives. I have come to care more and more for Carrie with each book I read. She is a strong, intelligent woman who has both strength and weaknesses that I can relate to. I love her friends, her relatives, her job, her cat and her friend's dog. Ok, maybe the dog comes first. Other than a ghost or two and the number of murders that occur in her small town, the day-to-day life feels real, that is several steps above realistic. Even Evelyn feels real except for her tendency to disappear just when we want answers to an important question. I enjoy everything about the book including the mystery, if not the murders. I am more than ready to dive into Carrie's next adventure and to see the progress she and Dylan have made and to see what trouble she can get into as her heart leads her to once again investigate a murder because she cares.
My thanks to NetGalley, Crooked Lane, and Allison Brook for the wonderful time I have reading an ARC of Dewey Decimated. I will enjoy sharing my adventure with friends and followers.
#NetGalley #CrookedLane #AllisonBrook #DeweyDecimated
I loved this little cozy mystery! I don’t read many so I’m not an expert but I thought the combo of librarian, library cat, and library ghost was a winner…the mystery was satisfying, the writing was terrific and I only wish I had started from the beginning of this series so I understood some of the back references but it’s a great reason to check them out. So happy to have been introduced to a new author, thank you!