Cover Image: Dewey Decimated

Dewey Decimated

Who killed Alec?   That's the question Carrie has to answer in order to allow him to move on from being a ghost in the library- or so Evelyn, the resident ghost says.  He turns out to be the uncle of Carrie's fiance Dylan but Dylan doesn't know who might have done it either.  Carrie, ever intrepid, also finds herself dealing with another murder, this one connected to the town council and a debate over what to do with some property.  I like this series for the gentle paranormal part of it (Evelyn is a hoot) and for Carrie, her friends, and her cat.  It's classic cozy territory. Thanks to netgalley for the ARC.  A good read that will be fine as a standalone.
In Dewey Decimated, the 6th book in the Haunted Library Mystery series, Carrie Singleton’s life has settled down after she helped the police solve several murders.  She’s ready to get back to work as Programs Director for the library, figure out a date for her wedding to Dylan, take care of her beloved library cat Smokey Joe, attend meetings as the newest town council member, and visit with her friend Evelyn, the library’s own ghost.

Renovations have finally begun on the centuries old building next door, which will bring much needed space to the library, until work is halted when a dead body is found.  No one knows who the man was - even when his ghost stumbles into Carrie’s path in the library.  He has no memory of who he was in life until an intrepid reporter digs up his name. Turns out he was Dylan’s estranged, ne’er-do-well uncle.

Carrie has her hands quite full with delving into Alec’s past when another murder occurs and seems to tie in to the past.

I very much enjoyed Carrie and team’s newest escapades in Dewey Decimated.  This is one of those series that I find myself thinking about even long after I’ve read the book.  The characters are fully-fleshed, so believable they could be my own friends and neighbors.  The author, Allison Brook, has written Carrie with her own personal arc.  She’s grown from a Goth Girl into a woman who cares about her town, the people in it, and her family. She’s put down roots and become a person that everyone counts on.  It’s not often that characters grow so much over the course of a series, and I very much love that the author has written the series this way.

The series is so well-written that when I pick up the next book in the series, I can perfectly envision the town, where the buildings are, and even what each character looks like. I’m very much looking forward to the next in the series.

Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for allowing me to read an advanced copy of the book.  I’m very happy to leave a review of my thoughts and opinions.
This is book 6 in the series, but the first I have read. It's a fun cozy read, full of charming characters, including a mostly helpful resident ghost, and a very confused one! It takes a village, supernatural and if this world to solve this one! I'll be checking out the rest of the series and you will too after reading this charmer!
Dewey Decimated is the 6th book in the Haunted Library Mysteries written by Allison Brook. Set on the southern coast of Connecticut and revolving around Carrie Singleton, a young librarian who happens to have a knack for solving murders, this series continues to delight me. For starters, Carrie speaks to a ghost who lives in the library, but in this installment, a second ghost appears and begs for help. Luckily, Carrie previously told her fiancé, Dylan, that she often talks to ghosts, so it's not all that shocking when she later learns that the new spirit has a connection to them personally!

Brook has built a complex mystery where a murder from ~5 years ago comes back to haunt someone... and there are a solid 6 potential culprits, not to mention another murder that might have introduced a second killer too. When a cozy brings together all these suspenseful yet charming elements, plus a fun group of supporting characters, it's a perfect storm of creativity and depth... and that's exactly what I've come to rely on when reading this author's work. From family history and drama to admirable friendships and animosity, the small town life has big impacts on many levels of the story. Another winner in the series!
In this sixth installment in the Haunted Library series, Librarian Carrie Singleton is excited about the renovation of the building next door which will expand the library and give her space for her programs. She is also getting comfortable with being on the town council.

Things go terribly wrong when a body is discovered in the building that is being renovated. Things get worse when the man's ghost finds its way into Carrie's library. Carrie can see him, as can her ghostly assistant Evelyn, but that doesn't help much since the ghost has amnesia.

When a local TV reporter encourages Carrie to help solve the mystery, Carrie isn't really interested. She doesn't want or need the publicity. But then she learns that the ghost is the long-lost uncle of her fiancé Dylan. And when the renovation's lead contractor, and fellow town council member, Sean Powell is murdered Carrie needs to solve both murders before Dylan's uncle's ghost can move on to the afterlife.

Between a contentious issue regarding the future use of a piece of property left to the town which has put the council members at odds and arguments about the renovation, the suspects are many. Carrie also has to keep secret that she's getting help in her investigation from a couple of ghosts.

I enjoyed this episode and think fans of cozy mysteries with a paranormal bent will enjoy it too.
Another good book in this enjoyable series about a library which really is haunted by a ghost called. Evelyn. Only two people can see her, our MC and Librarian Carrie Singleton and her cousin who is still a child.

In Dewey Decimated a second ghost appears shortly after his murdered body has been found by builders who are making an extension to the library. Evelyn informs us that Alec is not able to "move on" until his murder has been solved and Carrie sets herself the task of fixing things. Who would want him dead is a huge puzzle particularly when it is discovered that he is Dylan's long lost uncle.

All this plus the fact that the Alec ghost has amnesia and cannot remember who killed him. The mystery is good, there are lots of red herrings, many nice characters and a delightful cat called Smoky Joe who spends his days in the library making up to the customers. All good,clean fun.
I love cozy mysteries and this series was responsible for me finally getting interesting in the paranormal sub genre of them. This is the sixth book in the series and the author maintains her fun mysteries and entertaining characters. This is a must read series for cozy lovers!
I gave Dewey Decimated by Allison Brook 5 stars.

This is book number 6 in the Haunted Library Mystery-series, and it was by far the best one in the series. So much happened and we got some character developments I really enjoyed. Especially learning more about Evelyn, and why she is a ghost at the library.

I also liked reading about Carries new job as a member of the town council (I imagined Stars Hollow in Gilmore Girls here, haha). I hope we get more of this in the next book.

And finally, did I figure out whodunit? Nope, I had no clue!

This is set during fall, so I really recommend reading it under a blanket with a cup of tea and scented candles burning. The book comes out September 6.

Thank you NetGalley and Crooked Lane Books for the ARC in exchange for my honest review.

Having worked in a haunted library (unfortunately I didn’t get to talk to the ghost) and for my local council I found a lot to relate to in this book.

This is the first book in the series I have read so I wasn’t familiar with the main characters Carrie and Dylan (an engaged couple), Evelyn (the library’s friendly ghost and Smokey Joe (the library cat).

I think it works OK as a standalone story. Topics and character information from previous stories were smoothly incorporated so the reader doesn’t feel lost, but I still wish I had read the previous stories. (This is the 6th book in the series).

The story is set in a charming small town, Clover Ridge where everyone knows each other but there are still hidden secrets. We meet Carrie, one of the local librarians responsible for events and newly appointed member of the local council. The council has purchased the building next door to the library which is being converted to extend the facilities.

The library is haunted by a friendly ghost, Evelyn, who has helped Carried solve murders in the past. Carrie and her niece are the only ones who can see Evelyn who is friendly and charming.

Carrie is well known as the local amateur sleuth. It is evident she has assisted the local police on previous occasions.

During the demolition of the building a body is discovered and obvious he was killed many years earlier.

Carrie has resolved not to take on anymor amateur sleuthing but when the ghost of the murdered man turns up in the library with amnesia and refuses to leave until he finds out who he is and what happened, she is forced to get involved. He is disruptive as he rushes through the library disturbing both papers and patrons. She calls on Evelyn for help to control him and help solve his murder. They call him Charlie. Later they discover he is Alex Dunmore, Dylan’s uncle.

An irritating and determined local reporter, Julie Theron, wants to join with Carrie to solve the murders.

Meanwhile, a secondary story involves her position on council. It is the role of the council to decide on the future of a parcel of land known as Seabrook Preserve. There are three options put to council – a high class park, development of condos or leave it as a protected reserve. A member of the council who is also involved in the library renovation is later killed. But how are the two stories connected?

The characters were likeable when they should have been, and the unlikeable ones were well portrayed.
This is a part of a series but I have not read all the previous books so you can pick up anywhere in the series and still keep up.

Dylan and Carrie are engaged and Dylan is an Investigator and Carrie works at the library but she is also referred to in town as their Nancy Drew. The library is expanding and they have purchased the building next door.  While they are expanding they have found a body hidden in the building. Also have I mentioned there is a resident Ghost at the library.  I think you will enjoy the book.  Check it out.
The library in Clover Ridge is expanding, planning to connect to the recently-purchased building next door. During the demolition, though, a body is found in the basement of the old building, and it has apparently been there for years. Carrie is determined to learn whose body it is, and then how and why he died.

Book #6 of this series was just as entertaining as the first several books, and I enjoyed my time with Carrie, Smokey Joe, Dylan, and their friends and family. The setting feels familiar to me, but I am still amazed by the money that is available to this library, judging by the size of the original facility – not the mention the addition that is the focus of this book! – the size, variety and attendance at the programs offered, and the size of their collection. I wish our local library had that kind of funding available! At the same time, the staff seemed to think a summer reading program would be something new to their community, which made me chuckle. Every library I’ve used for the past 40+ years has offered a summer reading program, even for adults :)

The mystery in this book had a lot of twists and turns, with several viable possible suspects, but I was not able to figure out the guilty party until the end of the book. I was happy to see some of the personal storylines advance, and am eager to see what happens next in Clover Ridge.
When the corpse of an unknown man turns up in the building that’s being renovated as an addition to the town’s library Carrie hesitates to get involved despite prompting from multiple people. I enjoyed the earlier books in this series but this one had several problems for me. The biggest one was that no one noticed the body despite the multiple people who would have been thoroughly inspecting and measuring the building before renovation plans could be drawn up. I also found that I didn’t really care enough about the murdered man’s ghost to care who killed him.
Allison Brook gives us another library related murder story in Dewey Decimated. The librarian has to cope with two resident ghosts at the library, a dead body discovered at the next door construction and how she should vote as a new town councilor about the development of some city property: condos or city park..  One of the concilors is also murdered provoking general uproars.  Find out whodunit in the small but crime inspiring town.,
Dewey Decimated was a fun read. I’m not usually a fan of the supernatural, so when Evelyn, the library’s resident ghost turned up, I was wary but soldiered on. It was worth my while. Evelyn, like everything else about Dewey Decimated, was a delight. This book was number six in Allison Brock’s Haunted Library series, but it was easy to jump in midstream. Nothing makes a reader happier than “discovering” a writer and finding they have a nice backlist to catch up on.

Librarian Carrie Singleton is excited about the new addition to the library, which will allow her to offer more services to her beloved Clover Ridge, Connecticut, community. She worries about the disruption and expense, but that pales in comparison to the stress she experiences when a body is found during excavations for the new building. The discovery unleashes a restless and amnesiac ghost. Evelyn tries to keep the new spirit contained while Carrie gets to the bottom of his death.

As if she doesn’t have enough on her plate, she’s a reluctant town council member. She winds up embroiled in a hotly-contested decision regarding a desirable piece of property – with deadly results.

The book was well-paced, the characters varied and well-rounded, and there were enough subplots to keep things interesting without being scattered.

I received this Advanced Reader Copy of Dewey Decimated from NetGalley and Crooked Lane Books in exchange for an honest review.
Carrie and Smokey Joe are back with another murder to solve in Clover Ridge! Unfortunately, this time the body is found in the basement of building attached the library, and it's someone close to Carrie! Even worse, the ghost of the deceased is upsetting patrons at the library.. Then there's another murder related to drama in the town council. Could these murders be related? Carrie is going to find out!

I love this series. The characters are so fun and full of small-town charm.
A cute cozy mystery, with ghosts!

It would have helped to read the previous books in the series first but it was still enjoyable. It checks off the cozy mystery list: amateur sleuth. law enforcement boyfriend, small town with warm characters.
Carrie Singleton works for the Clover Ridge library and is settling into her new life as fiancée of Dylan, her investigator boyfriend.  She loves her cat, Smoky Joe, who comes to work with her every day, and is beginning a new chapter as the newest member of the town council.

The library has bought the vacant building next door and people are anxious for the renovations to be finished, no more than Carrie, who is looking forward to the new auditorium, which will seat more people and she will be able to hold more programs as the Events and Programs Director for the library.  But things take a nasty turn when a body is found in the basement.  With no identification the police are having a hard time discovering who it is.  But the ambitious news reporter uncovers the name of the deceased, who turns out to be Alec Dunmore -- and the uncle of Dylan.  Now Carrie has to find a way to tell Dylan about Alec, and figure out why Alec hasn't crossed to the other side.  With the help of her resident library ghost Evelyn, who knows more than she's telling, Carrie is determined to figure things out.

While she doesn't want to step on her friend John Mather's toes, the police detective isn't having as much luck as the reporter is.  So Carrie reluctantly teams up with her to discover exactly what is going on.  As Alec remembers more, Carrie becomes suspicious of a lot of people she's come in contact with recently.  And with a big vote on the Seabrook Preserve coming up on the council, it seems everyone has an agenda.  And they want her to vote their way.  Could one of them be a killer?  Or is it someone closer to home?...

This is the sixth book in the series, and I must say that I've enjoyed it the most.  We get to see a lot more of Evelyn, and she plays a larger part in this book.  We also get to see how Carrie's new relationships with the town council are playing out.  Carrie still has a reluctance to get married, seeing as how her parents' marriage turned out; but we learn more (through Alec and Carrie's relatives and friends) what Dylan's parents were like.  It's an insight that's been a long time coming, and it makes the characters become more real to us.

Getting insight on someone's background brings them into the world of reality; you can empathize with them and decide whether you like them or not, whether you agree with their decisions.  It's an important part of this book, and it makes things a little more whole in the big picture.

All Alec wants to do is move on, but realizes he can't do so until his murder is solved, which makes it a major part of the book.  We learn about the type of person he was in life, and it explains his relationship with Dylan.  There's also a couple of surprises in store for Dylan and Carrie.

But when we learn about the murderer and the way the murder occurred it makes us saddened, and finding out the reasons why are callous.  However, the book brings us satisfaction and makes us look forward to the next in the series (I'm waiting...).  Highly recommended.
This is my first entry into A Haunted Library Mystery series.  The concept of a haunted library  and a amateur sleuth librarian is a wonderful one.  The book's cover is stylish and suits the theme of the story. The characters, story, and mystery made this book a pleasant read.

My thanks to Crooked Lane Books and NetGallery for a digital copy of this book for my review!
Clearly this is one of an ongoing series, and perhaps I would have been well served by having read some of the books that came before.  Nevertheless, it’s an enjoyable if not overly brain-taxing story, somewhat along the lines of a Hallmark Murders and Mysteries offering.  I suspect Ms. Brook’s fans have been anxiously awaiting it, and I can see where Carrie would be a beloved figure among them.
Carrie, the main character, is a librarian.  In this volume, she is in charge of facilitating a major addition the library is planning by buying the abandoned house next store.  Needless to say, there is a body found in the basement the minute construction begins.  The first mystery is to figure out who the body is.
If you’ve been reading this series by Allison Brook, you will know that Carrie has become close friends with the library’s resident ghost, Evelyn.  Again, Evelyn’s backstory is one that I will have to return to Ms. Brook’s earlier books to fill in.  The body in the basement has also become a ghost—-with amnesia!  He (it is a he) turns out to be the ne’er do well uncle of Carrie’s boyfriend, Dylan.
In a sidebar, the town is having to decide what to do with a parcel of land that has been a nature preserve but is now wanted by developers.  And Carrie has landed herself on the town council.
A nosy reporter, aware of Carrie’s history of crime-solving, is trying to draw her into solving this murder.  I. A bit surprised that Carrie is willing to be drawn, if reluctant.
The characters are colorful, the plot unfolds to a satisfying end.  No cliffhangers here.  A like a le addition to the cozy mystery genre.
I have really enjoyed this series, Carrie Singleton is the program director at the Clover Ridge Library, and she sees ghosts.

The library is expanding and Carrie is going to get a nice big auditorium to hold her special events in, there is a problem though. During demo on the building next door (her future auditorium) a skeleton is found, and now he is causing havoc until Carrie can figure out who he is and why he was there!

This is a fun series, I recommend starting with the first book and reading the series in order, the characters progress and you will get to know all the towns people involved.

This is the 6th book in the series, start now and you will be ready for when this book is released in September!

I would like to thank Netgalley and Crooked Lane Books for the opportunity to read and review this book.