Cover Image: Beyond the Moonlit Sea

Beyond the Moonlit Sea

I must say, Beyond the Moonlit Sea surprised me in the very best way! I have always been intrigued by the infamous Bermuda Triangle and it was this premise that led me to pick this book up. What I got here went above and beyond my expectations and I loved every last second of this wonderful written and developed story!

A disappearance, forbidden love affair, secrets, and a strange connection unfold in this completely unputdownable story. The story spans a timeline from 1986 to 2017 and alternates between the perspective of Olivia who’s pilot husband disappears over the Bermuda Triangle and Melanie a physicist who studies the Bermuda Triangle (both fantastic characters to come alongside here) and who’s storylines surprisingly intertwine as the story progresses. In all of this, there was a wonderful complexity to the plot that had me turning the pages as quickly as I could. I just had to know how everything came together by the end, and I just have to not that I was 100% satisfied in how it wrapped up.

Reading this book was pure entertainment and checked all of the boxes of a perfect read for me! MacLean is a master storyteller and I just adore her writing style. I cannot sing enough praises here and highly recommend this book!

Many thanks to Lake Union Publishing and NetGalley for the gifted e-copy!
This book was fantastic! I really enjoyed it and it kept me guessing throughout, which is difficult for most books to do. I felt like I connected with the characters and really enjoyed the plot!
Not as romantic or mysterious as one might be led to believe from the title, cover art, and/or book synopsis referencing the Bermuda Triangle.

I wouldn't really call it book club fiction, though, either. More a light suspense. Perhaps contemporary fiction is best, even if the story starts out in 1990 and 1986.

A few anachronisms, as characters say things like "safe space " and "look it up", which aren't 20th century phrases. Also, the novel could use a good scrub to remove non-American terms and phrases, such as "washroom".

But, a decent read overall. Kept me entertained for a few hours. And, thankfully, for a current novel, wasn't chock full of diversity checklist items. Just characters doing their things, like they should, rather than unneeded focus on ethnicity, sexual preferences, or disabilities. This fact alone bumped this up from a 3-star to 4.
Emotional at times this was a compelling story.  There were aspects of mystery and loss which kept me intrigued.
Many thanks to Lake Union Publishing and to NetGalley for providing me with a galley in exchange for my honest opinion.
BEYOND THE MOONLIT SEA is a shining example of why I have come to love reading Julianne MacLean’s novels. She creates wonderful, fleshed out characters who make mistakes. The characters are multi-dimensional, and her plots will keep you turning pages.
MacLean weaves together two plotlines with characters that seem unconnected, until they come together in a surprising way. Touching on the mystery of the Bermuda Triangle which, like many, has always fascinated me. With a story full of emotion and unexpected surprises, MacLean has written another delightful read that will leave you wishing for more.
Thanks to the publisher for the opportunity to read an advanced copy. All opinions are my own and freely given.
#BeyondtheMoonlitSea	#JulianneMacLean #LakeUnionPublishing
4 ⭐️

Lake Union Publishing and Julianne MacLean for free e-ARC in return of my honest review.

The love story of Olivia and Dean is like a fairy tale until it is not. Dean is lost while coming back on a private jet as a pilot, he considered dead and Olivia finds herself pregnant. She mourns the loss of her husband and welcomes her baby girl into the big world eager to love her for both. Little did she know what kind of a surprise she might get in 20 years.

Overall, good solid book, I enjoyed Olivia’s chapters mostly. She felt more sincere and required more empathy to her character. Dean, on the other hand, is quite a character. His interesting life story is narrated by him, however it was flat to my ears. There was always an excuse for his actions- as it should be because it is out human trait. Author made me despise him, even loath him. I think it is a talent to make a reader feel different emotions though put the book, the ability to raise various reflections on the character is a powerful move.

I am glad I read this book and I am thankful for the opportunity.
This was a new author for me. I really enjoyed the story! It went back and forth from the 80s into the 90s, and then from 2012 to 2017. I loved Olivia’s story.
Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for an ARC of this book. I have chosen to write this honest review voluntarily and it reflects my personal opinion.
I have read and enjoyed many books by this author so I was surprised to find I disliked this one so much that I didn't read beyond halfway. I thought the character of Melanie required more support for her mental health than Dean gave her, her behaviour was extreme and abnormal. Dean's behaviour was also unrealistic, being easily drawn into a relationship against his principles, morals and professional requirements. I imagine the gradual resolution of the mystery would be interesting but I couldn't get beyond my loathing of the characters.
{Huge thank you to @netgalley and @lakeunionauthors for this free book to read and review!}

📚B O O K•R E V I E W📚

•Beyond The Moonlit Sea-Julianne Maclean
•Fiction/Mystery
•Now Available!
•4⭐️/5

This is the story of one woman’s quest to find out what happened to her husband when he disappears one night while flying over the Bermuda Triangle.

This was a great read that had me hooked right from the start. I’d go in knowing no more about this book than what I wrote above, I think you’ll enjoy it more the less you know.
It’s a great story that I thought I knew where it was going one moment only to be surprised the next. I loved the multiple time lines, multiple perspectives, and felt for these characters and their challenges they had to face throughout this book.
I really enjoyed this story.  I find myself looking for Ms. MacLean's books because they are so well written and not predictable.  This book covers many years as a woman searches for a missing husband and and watching her daughter grow into an adult. Olivia's husband Dean disappears in the Bermuda Triangle and she is devastated.  There are several mysteries running through the book and they eventually come together in a wild twist.  The chapters are narrated by the main characters and clearly marked who is doing the talk.  A great book that will have you up late reading the next chapter.  Enjoy this one.
This story is told from several timelines in different points of view, which was confusing until it started to come together.
Moving on from tragedy was addressed realistically, and I appreciated the growth in the protagonist.
What a great read.
I was puzzled in the beginning how everyone slotted together in the book, but carried on regardless.
At about 70% in, everything went nuts and the story, in my opinion, really started.
The only small disappointment is that it took a while to develop, but once the action started, that made up for the wait.
Thank you to NetGalley and the publishers for allowing me to read this book.
I enjoyed this book, which is about a woman whose husband disappears in the Bermuda Triangle and about her search for the truth about him. The plot was engaging -- and I completed the book in just a few days. There are some plot twists along the way as well, which made the book fun.

One pet peeve: I know the author is Canadian, but the fact she isn't American -- and not a New Yorker -- was obvious when she used the words "porridge" and "cupboards." No New Yorker refers to oatmeal as porridge or to kitchen cabinets as cupboards. Glaring mistake.

Other than that, I'd recommend this book to people seeking a fun, quick read.
I truly loved this book. Not only was I completely captivated by the story, making it so easy to fly through the pages effortlessly, but I was so intrigued by the multiple storylines, plots, and twists. There were a few times that what I thought for sure was going to happen didn’t, and what did happen completely threw me. The characters were very well developed. I appreciated young, naive, and eager Melanie; as much as I did mature, grieving, and hopeful Olivia. I do not know much about the Bermuda Triangle, and though I still don’t after reading this, I am still curious about it, but maybe more so. There was a lot to this book and I definitely recommend it. This is a new author for me and I am eager to read more by her.
𝘎𝘳𝘪𝘱𝘱𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘤𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘪𝘷𝘢𝘵𝘪𝘯𝘨!

What a story! I love when I start reading a book and have no idea where the story is taking me and I need to keep reading to figure it out. This story was just wonderful, loss, love, second chances and a bit of mystery, a perfect blend. I love Julianne’s writting and I was captivated since chapter one with this one. Loved it.

Thank you Suzy Approved Book Tours and Lake Union Authors for this tour invite.

𝗕𝗲𝘆𝗼𝗻𝗱 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗠𝗼𝗼𝗻𝗹𝗶𝘁 𝗦𝗲𝗮 by Julianne MacLean Romance Author released June 14, 2022.

This was emotional and I was invested from the beginning! This went a different direction than I was expecting but was so well done. I loved the writing and the complex characters. This was really quite well done and I enjoyed my time with it.
Is June a plane crash mystery month or something I don't know about? Beyond the Moonlit Sea is the second eARC I've read with a lost plane at the centre of the narrative (see: The Gravity of Missing Things).

I may be in the minority here - the GoodReads rating is very high - but I found Olivia to be an insufferable perspective to read. To be fair, though, Dean and Melanie's perspectives were not much better. Olivia and Melanie are two sides of the same coin. A very unstable, slightly insane coin. I didn't mesh well with the writing style, and even though most of this narrative was entirely outlandish, it still managed to be incredibly predictable.

I would have loved to have seen Dean's childhood trauma explored further; it was addressed so quickly and then basically forgotten. Dean makes so many questionable choices, Beyond the Moonlit Sea would have been much more compelling if the motivation, or even the ability, to make these choices had been analysed. All of the characters felt very shallow, but this failure to examine Dean's past further, I believe, affected the narrative the most.

So much unexplored potential made Beyond the Moonlit Sea frustrating rather than engaging.
very intresting book. emotionally compelling. very  well paced and  well  written. story that i can see bcoming a limied series or even a movie
I liked the whole Bermuda Triangle angle of this book. The Bermuda Triangle has been an interesting, fascinating place that a lot of people want to know more about. This book starts at the present than goes back before Olivia and Dean met than goes forward in time. It was good to follow Olivia and all that she goes through during this time and how she met Dean. It did take a little for me to get through the whole book but I am glad that I read it.
Julianne MacLean is a must read author!

Beyond the Moonlit Sea, swept me away as we read how Olivia and Dean beautifully fall in love despite their differing class status. When tragedy strikes, my heart hurt for Olivia. If this was the only plot in the story it would have been good; however, when the author is able to pull the rug out under you and bring to life an entire other side of the story…that’s when a good book becomes Ahmazing!

This book will give you all the feels and the twist is one that you will not see coming!  This is an epic contemporary love mystery story you need to add to your summer reading!