Cover Image: Love in the Time of Serial Killers

Love in the Time of Serial Killers

I really enjoyed this, even if it took me forever to read. It was a slump, but I powered through and loved the dynamic in this one.
A romcom about a heroine who's obsessed with true crime? Sign me up! LOVE IN THE TIME OF SERIAL KILLERS is absolutely perfect for anyone who reads primarily romance and thrillers (aka, me). It was an interesting deep-dive into both genres. I'll definitely be picking up Thompson's next book!
I loved this book, it was a really fun read! I loved the main character, her love interest was great, and I particularly enjoyed all of the character development the main character dealt with, though I would have enjoyed an epilogue.
This book was much deeper than I expected it to be, but I loved it all the same! The romance was a slow burn that blossomed at the perfect moments.
Phoebe is a PhD student who has a major true crime obsession. When her father dies, she moves into his house to wrap things up and put the house on the market. She is creeped out by her next door and starts obsessing that he is a serial killer. He turns out to be this uber sweet elementary school music teacher! Phoebe is attracted to Sam but has a lot of commitment issues because of her parent's relationship. How Phoebe gets past her web of complications for the premise of the story. Overall a super cute rom com that has serial killer references that you will laugh along with.
I forgot what this book was when I finally got around to it, so at first thought it was an autobiography and was really confused. I must admit at first I was annoyed by Phoebe's actions, she seemed too paranoid, but then I really thought about it and was like yeah if I saw a dude wandering around at night I would be rude too. Phoebe's character is really well developed and she has such great character growth, even though I wanted to shake her sometimes. The only negative I have for this book is Sam is described as wearing jeans to a 4th of July picnic in Florida and I call shenanigans, he would die of heat exhaustion. But the end was amazing and so sweet and made me cry, loved it!
Fun. Quirky. Charming. If you are a self-professed true crime fan, you'll relate to our MC, Phoebe Walsh, a PhD candidate who knows everything about the genre. Phoebe meets her match in Sam who 1) is a potential killer suspect after her first run in with him in the middle of the night and 2) turns out to be the opposite of who Phoebe surmised him to be. With witty banter, heartfelt dialogue, and serial killer references, Love in the Time of Serial Killers is a fun read that will ultimately melt your heartstrings.
This was a damn fine book. It's not often that I get teary from the angsty parts of a romance but this one had me crying. Part of that is probably because I felt like I could relate to Phoebe on a lot of levels.

Overall I think the other characters could have been fleshed out some more, but Phoebe was very well put together. Her obsession with serial killers and how people write their stories was actually pretty well thought out from a logical perspective. I like the way Thompson put it together. But it was Phoebe's cold heart that I mostly connected with. There was just so much of her self reflection that was like me talking to myself. It was a wild time. And in our 3rd act darkest moment phase, I really felt for her.

At the core this is a story about a 30 y/o woman figuring out that she doesn't have to be so cynical and non-trusting of people all the time. She figures out life and learns how to come to grips with the trauma from her past, the person that turned her into, and the person she hopes she can be in the future.

It's packaged in a pretty funny (I had actual laugh out loud moments), mostly lighthearted, and a little spicy romcom that made me both very happy and a bit depressed if I'm being honest.
Thank you, Berkley, for my gifted review copy of Love in the Time of Serial Killers
by Alicia Thompson.

A romance with serial killers in the title. The female main character is knowledgeable about true crime and the male main character is the sweetest type of cinnamon roll? GIVE IT TO ME.

Love in the Time of Serial Killers by Alicia Thompson has it all. A love story with a grief element. A novel that tackles loneliness - not just the romantic variety, but with family and friends too. Add in the loss and possible reconnection with a strong female friendship. Oh, and how could I forget? A wealth of pop culture and true crime anecdotes sprinkled throughout the pages. Cue Julie Andrews because 'these are a few of my favorite things.'

Let's chat about Phoebe. She's smart, discerning, tough, determined, and suspicious. Especially when her next-door neighbor Sam offers to help her late one night. NOPE. Never accept help from someone. My momma taught me that when I started driving to the mall by myself. "Remember, Sarah, that's how Ted Bundy got some of his victims with his fake cast." Buffalo Bill anyone? I need help loading this into the van? NOPE.

Phoebe and I are the SAME. Her mind works like mine does with endless connections to true crime cases. We do this to protect and guard ourselves.

But Sam. Well, he catches her off guard. He's just too sweet. So good. Kind. There's something about him. You feel it in Alicia's writing and you'll fall in love with him just like I did. Their love story is tender, sweet, it feels "real" like ordinary people falling in love when they weren't ready or looking.

There's also mention of America's Next Top Model, a fire works show, trips to the library and more. Readers get to know Phoebe deeply. We meet her childhood best friend and understand Phoebe better because of who she was then and who she is now. Her little brother is a wonderful side character.

I am Really Into This book! I laughed, I swooned, I cackled and I want to read it again and again. So damn good!!
Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for this ARC in exchange for an honest review!

This was one of my most anticipated releases from last year because everything I had heard about this book sounded amazing to me especially because I love true crime! I will say this book definitely delivered a fun time. There were times throughout the middle of the book where I got a little bored because it got pretty repetitive at times but overall, it was a fun read especially for those who love true crime and contemporary romance!
I thought this was a really cute romance and I loved our hot topic heroine so much! As a true crime junkie, I loved how serious our heroine was about this subject and that she was so smart and well educated! I can't wait to see what else this author puts out there.
Phoebe Walsh has traveled to Florida to help her brother, Conner, clear out her late father’s house so they can sell it. Phoebe is a Ph.D. candidate who is working on her dissertation dealing with the cultural fascination with serial killers. Coming back to her father’s house is churning up some complicated feelings, adding to her anxiety about her dissertation.

Aloof and distrustful, Phoebe tries to keep to herself, but she spies on the comings and goings of her neighbor. Her outgoing brother introduces her to Sam, and she is chagrined to find out that he is a music teacher who seems to be a truly nice guy who sees beyond her snarky exterior.

The longer Phoebe stays, the more she becomes closer to Sam. At first a prickly character who is not very likable, Phoebe’s efforts to conquer past hurts and anxieties make reading about her emotional growth satisfying.
I had a lot of fun reading this book. The very first thing that grabbed my attention was the title. I'm pretty sure there's more people like me out there but I have a deep love for romance novels and also thrillers and true crime. I spend my free time from adulthood and books, listening to true crime podcasts and occasionally watching documentaries. So, when I read the title I said ''I need to read this asap". I think that our main character in this novel is an odd ball, which is why I love her. The very first thing she thinks when a handsome stranger offers her help is that "He probably wants to murder me". She even gave him a news-worthy-serial-killer name. It is truly hilarious.

I felt the whole story to be wholesome and clever. There are a lot of facts about crimes included, which is incredibly good. No one want just random lines written about something that truly happen and that it was devastating to a lot of people.

The romance portion was incredibly good. Spicy when it had to, swoon-y when it was appropriate. I would love to read more from this author and definitely will be looking forward to it.

Thank you Netgalley and Berkley for the opportunity.
🔪𝐋𝐨𝐯𝐞 𝐢𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐓𝐢𝐦𝐞 𝐨𝐟 𝐒𝐞𝐫𝐢𝐚𝐥 𝐊𝐢𝐥𝐥𝐞𝐫𝐬🔪

Looking for a lighter romcom with a twist of true crime? This is your book!!! I went into this one completely blind and I think in doing that, made me like it more haha I didn’t even realize it was a romcom at first😂

What’s the last book you went blind into? Did you end up liking it?

Ps. I did the audio and I loved the narrator so can confirm this book is great on audio🎧

𝐆𝐞𝐧𝐫𝐞: Romantic Comedy
𝐓𝐫𝐨𝐩𝐞: the title of the book should give it away haha
𝐏𝐮𝐛. 𝐃𝐚𝐭𝐞: August 16th, 2022
𝐌𝐲 𝐒𝐭𝐚𝐫 𝐑𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠: 4 stars
𝐆𝐨𝐨𝐝𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐝𝐬 𝐒𝐭𝐚𝐫 𝐑𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠: 3.49 stars

Quick synopsis:

The book follows Phoebe Walsh, a PhD candidate who is writing her dissertation on true crime, as she explores dating and friendships and how her obsession with true crime, impacts both!
LITTOSK is the first book I read from Alicia Thompson. This romance novel dives into slow burn romance, strained friendships, sibling bonds, and new beginnings. Overall, this book didn’t work for me. The plot was interesting, but I couldn’t get myself to be invested with the story. Based on the plot, I think I had different expectations and this just wasn’t it at all. The only part I liked about the story was the sweet sibling relationship that Phoebe and Conner had despite their seven year difference. In terms of the romance, I found the chemistry between Phoebe and Sam to be odd. I wouldn’t recommend picking this one up.
I liked this book! I thought that the pacing was a bit weird though. The transition from her being afraid of him to liking him was a bit rushed, but other parts felt like they dragged on. I did like the plus size rep throughout, and I was rooting for the main characters to get together. I wish there was a little bit more of an exploration of the side characters. I loved the cover art for this book as well!
This book was pretty good. I thought the premise of the book was interesting because the main character was suspicious of the love interest also possibly being a serial killer since she was super into true crime podcasts. Even though she was suspicious they built a friendship that developed into even more. I felt like there was something missing and wanted more from the book. But I still enjoyed it overall.
The jokes and puns are getting darker and funnier the deeper you're immersed in this book. It was enjoyable but not an exceptional reading experience overall.
3.5 stars. You know how the world starts to take on the character of whatever you're watching, reading, or learning about? PhD candidate Phoebe is definitely spending too much time alone with true crime, and it makes her suspicious of everyone--especially her neighbor Sam, whose late-night activities might just be serial killing. Or maybe he's a genuinely nice elementary school music teacher who just wants to help her move heavy furniture. Either way, can't be too careful. No matter how cute he is.

This was an entertaining premise but I didn't love Phoebe's actions. Her childhood definitely made her wary of developing any close relationships, which makes sense, but she was frustratingly oblivious to the consequences of her own actions at times. Sam was a nice foil but his character was less developed.

Thanks to Netgalley, the publisher, and the author for the ARC to review. All opinions are my own.
This book I purely picked up because of the cover and title and I have to say it didn't dissapoint. I thought this was really fun and silly sometimes but never really over the top. I really loved the cast of side characters. They brought the story to live in a great way. I also quite liked the little side plots in this book. I've seen a lot of reviews being annoyed by the true crime refference and I do understand that because there's A LOT of them but I thought they were quite fun and I liked looking up the different refferences to learn more. Like I said before I do understand how people would think it's annoying because you shouldn't constantly need to look up refferences to understand the jokes but I personally didn't mind. The romance was also great but I do think the love interest deserves better than the main character. He was a sweet cinnemon role and she just played with his emotions for a bit too long for me to fully root for them. Having said that we have arrived at the main reason I didn't end up loving this book. I don't like our main character. She was incredibly annoying. In some way she gave me the vibe that she felt superior to everyone else but also at the same time she gave me the vibe that she was full of self hatred. On top of that she also felt so out of touch from reality and like she has never interacted with a single other human before. I did like the writing though so I'm definitely open to reading more by this author but I don't absolutely love this.