Cover Image: Built to Last

Built to Last

I love Erin Hahn’s YA books so I was excited for her first adult novel. This was a good story. The like a second chance story. I thought Cameron and Shelby had a great backstory and great chemistry.

Just my opinion, but I thought it took too long for them to go to bed together, then when they did it was like just filler to the story. The romantic pacing could have been better.

But I loved the side characters (looking forward to Lorelei and Drakes story). And the parents were great.

Overall, another enjoyable story from a favorite author.

Title: Built to Last
Author: Erin Hahn
Genre: Romance
Rating: 3.50
Pub Date: October 18, 2022

I received a complimentary eARC from St. Martin's Press via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own. #Gifted #Ad

T H R E E • W O R D S

Sweet • Hospitable • Basic

📖 S Y N O P S I S

Shelby Springfield has spent the last ten years trying to overcome her past, sanding it away like the rough spots on the vintage furniture she makes over. But as a former child star, it’s hard to forget a widely documented meltdown and huge public break up with her former co-star Lyle Jessup. It’s also hard to forget her other co-star and childhood sweetheart, Cameron Riggs—the one who got away.

Anytime Shelby has called, Cameron has come running… And then he runs right off again to chase stories around the world by making documentaries, too scared to admit what he really wants. But when Lyle stirs the pot, getting the two back in the spotlight with a home renovation show, Cameron can't help but get on board.

There's something in it for everyone—almost. Cameron wants to set down some roots. Shelby wants to prove she's not the messy party girl anymore. And a jealous Lyle can’t help but try to get in the way. But for his two childhood friends who had more chemistry than he could ever dream of, nothing is getting in the way of their second chance at love.

💭 T H O U G H T S

I added Built to Last to my TBR based on the cute cover and the home renovation/reality TV show elements. I wasn't aware of Erin Hahn's previous books, but it makes sense she'd have a backlist of YA titles because I did find aspects of it in this adult romance.

Told in dual POVs, Shelby and Cameron's characters initially drew me into the story. They had good banter and it was clear to see how deeply they cared from one another despite everything. I was engaged with their story through the first half as I was getting to know them. Yet, by the second half the conflict has been resolved and not a whole lot happened from this point on. The ending wrapped up a little too nicely for my liking and made it less believable. There is a lot of backstory with this one, to the point it overtook the romance. Because of all of this, the characters felt one-dimensional.

I did really enjoy the house flipping, getting a behind the scenes look at show production, and the furniture hunting. The small town setting was portrayed realistically and some of the secondary characters were absolute gems.

Overall, Built to Last had a many solid parts, however, they ended up coming together in an underwhelming fashion. It certainly was a bad book, but rather a typical romance that won't stick in my mind. I'd read this author again if there was a book the piqued my interest and could see how readers who read a lot of rom-coms might like this one more than I did.

📚 R E A D • I F • Y O U • L I K E
• second chance romance
• childhood friends
• house flipping

⚠️ CW: sexual content, toxic relationship, toxic friendship, emotional abuse, child abuse, gaslighting, abandonment, infidelity, alcohol, mental illness, alcoholism, eating disorder, cursing

🔖 F A V O U R I T E • Q U O T E S

"Child stars have this weird quirk where they're never really kids to begin with, but they never grow up either."

This book was good, but not my favorite. I didn’t feel/fall in love with the characters like I wanted to. It was a well written book, I just didn’t connect with the characters. You may love it. It was want for me.

This is probably my favorite romcom I’ve ever read. It felt like I was watching a show in my head, and all the best ones are like that.

Thanks netgalley for the arc!

Shelby Springfield has spent the last ten years trying to overcome her past. She finds it hard as a former childhood star and the paparazzi. She also finds it hard to forget her childhood sweetheart, Cameron Riggs. Her ex ends up getting the two together for a home reno show. Cameron wants to prove he can stick around and Shelby wants to prove she is no longer a messy party girl. Sparks fly, as well as sawdust during their filming.

This book was okay. I enjoyed the homo reno show part of the book. I like watching those shows, so I liked reading about it. The flashback scenes were cute too. I wish there was more built up to Shelby and Cameron's relationship as adults. I felt like their was minimul discussion between them and getting to know each other now that they are older. I feel like their feelings were just lingering feelings from their childhood. It was slowburn, but then their relationship was abrupt. I feel like more built up to their relationship in the present could have helped with this. Overall, this book was just okay for me.

I'm super late with this review. What an absolutely adorable book, so sweet, with a tad bit of spice. I read it in one sitting. You just can't help falling in love with the characters, they are REAL. You definitely get all the feels in this book. Yes, I laughed, and cried.
I'm typically a reader of thrillers, but every once in awhile I just need to read fluff. I thought this was fluff going in, but it was so much more.
Thank you to Netgalley, the publisher and mostly the author for the chance to read this sweet advanced copy.

It took me a while to get to this book which has been on my TBR for a while, it is so very cute. I really enjoyed it. I would say a perfect romcom. There was heart and characters overcoming obstacles to re-fall in love. I also love a former child celeb romance and who doesn’t love a home renovation show- even if you are only reading about it? Best of all? No third act break up, which was wildly refreshing. I can’t wait for Erin’s next novel!

Who doesn't love Erin Hahn? I loved everything about this book! The characters, the story. I loved that there was no third act break up! 🤣

This was a cute, sweet romance!

Love it! Very easy read. I liked the second chance romance trope also. I felt invested in the characters.

5/5 stars!! This has to be one of my favorite Erin Hahn books so far! You'll want to put this on your TBR!

I think I liked this book more in theory than I did after reading it. It was fine but that was it, a little forgetable.

I’m not sure how I feel about this one still. I liked it while I was reading it but I found it very forgettable. I did really like the characters and the story line.

I am sorry for the inconvenience but I don’t have the time to read this anymore and have lost interest in the concept. I believe that it would benefit your book more if I did not skim your book and write a rushed review. Again, I am sorry for the inconvenience.

Another five star book from Erin Hahn! From her YA to adult books she has so much wrapped up tight within these love stories. I adored this book. Shelby and Cameron were delightful and I love how this relationship trajectory veered from the usual formula.

Thank you for the advanced copy of this book. My reviews can be read on my GoodReads account here: https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/1335387-kelly

This was my first book by Erin Hahn, but I had heard really good things about her YA books, so I was really looking forward to reading this!

Overall, this one was very meh and didn't really work for me. I'm not positive how best to explain what I didn't like, but there was a lot of history and backstory with our characters and I felt that not enough of it got fully fleshed out and there was a bunch of random stuff thrown in for drama without really serving a purpose. My overall impression was that it was messy and immature and the pacing of the story didn't help.

Thank you to the publisher and Netgalley for an eARC in exchange for an honest review.

The definition of "fine" - an inoffensive but essentially forgettable read. I love books with a reality show aspect but this one fell a little flat for me and I wanted more from the main couple's chemistry.

I am a huge sucker for HGTV and any home Reno tv or videos. So add that to a romance book and Im in.

I loved that this romance did not have that dreaded third act break up part. Sometimes those drive me nuts. So this was a welcome reprieve. However, I do hate miscommunication I felt like there was a lot of that in this book which led to rating.

I loved getting Shelby and Camerons point of view. I think dual POV always make a romance book that much better. I also liked the maturity of both characters.

Thank you to NetGalley and St. Martin's Press for an e-arc of this novel! I was unfortunately not able to get far in this novel, and feel it would not be appropriate to provide a review at this time.

I have been struggling to finish some books and this was pleasant surprise.
Shelby Springfield, Cameron Riggs and Lyle Jessup starred teenage drama together. Shelby and Cameron were secretly together until he left the show and went to college. Shelby was so lonely and became star couple with Lyle until he broke up with her publicly and wrote songs about their relationship. When Shelby needed someone, she would text Cameron and he would come right away except he left every time.
Now they are older and hopefully wiser. Shelby left Hollywood life and settled in Michigan, refurbishing furnitures. When home improvement opportunity comes along, she is willing to try again.
Cameron always loved Shelby but their timing was bad. Now this pilot could give him what he needed.
Cameron and Shelby kept their feelings to themselves and this could be their second chance at happiness since they really didn't get their proper chance.
It is cute and I really loved how Shelby and Cameron would support and loved each other. I really enjoyed reading this one. If you enjoy second chance with home improvement show, this book is worth it.
Thanks to Netgalley and Griffin for my copy.