Cameron and Shelby practically grew up together on screen and off screen. Years after the show ends Cameron and Shelby's former cast member and shelby's ex ask them to appear on screen again in the form of a home renovation show. They've both moved on from T.V. but not each other so they agree.

I liked the duel point of view. It was nice to switch between characters and get an idea of what each of them were thinking. The relationship was super sweet and maybe a little cheesy for my taste. I wasn't expecting an adult book to feel that way.

I really wish it didn't have so much drama. I get that it's Hollywood and people like to be dramatic but it felt slightly YA in that way.

Shelby's best friends were my favorite and I really hope we get to find out more about them!!

Thank you St. Martin's Press and NetGalley for the eARC! All opinions expressed are my own. This review does NOT contain any spoilers. :)

☆☆☆☆☆ Overall
(Spice: ☆☆☆☆)

Trigger/Content Warnings: mentions of alcohol and drug abuse, abusive/controlling parents, cheating, (If I’m missing anything here that should be included, please let me know! Thanks!)

I have never been a huge fan of second chance romance, but this book? This book held my hand and stroked my hair and wrapped me up in a big fluffy blanket while it provided me with one of the best love stories I have read in what feels like forever.

Shelby and Cam are the epitome of wholesome to me. Their chemistry leaps off the page and literally made me giddy. Their banter, the protectiveness that they have for each other, everything is just. Beautiful.

I loved Shelby’s redemption arc, and how her goal of improving herself and finding her way doesn’t have anything to do with the opinion of the public. It’s just for herself. Shelby and Cam work so hard to allow themselves to be vulnerable and you can see the growth that they are working so hard for.

Also, just the whole plot idea of friends to lovers coming together while filming a reality TV house flipping show is amazing, 10/10 entertainment.

I love this book. I already want to reread this book because I miss them already. Also the epilogue????? Genius. Pure genius. Read this book, you will not regret it.

Friends to lovers and HGTV vibes, what's not to love about this amazing read?! Former child stars and first loves reunite after after a decade apart in their home state of Michigan. This book explores how they’ve grown since their child star days and if their friendship is really something more. I adored the home renovation show aspect, as well as the relationship between Shelby and Cameron. Highly recommend!

Thanks to NetGalley and St. Martin’s Press for this ARC.

I really enjoyed this book! It was the perfect lighthearted romance that I could enjoy and read fast! I liked how Shelby and Cam interacted and how they found love. The only thing I hated was Lyle, but I think everyone will hate him when they read it. I will totally recommend this!

Built to Last was my first read from Erin Hahn, and I am a new fan!

This is a story of second chances, not just for Shelby and Cameron, but for Cameron and his family.

The author’s writing style was such that you felt like you were in the story with the characters. The use of a television series to reconnect the characters, and utilizing the flipping of houses to further connect Cameron to Shelby’s lift “post-Hollywood” was very fitting.

I found myself rooting for Shelby, Cameron and their friends, and happy when the truth came out, making Lyle look like the jealous ex that he is.

Definitely a story that had me hooked from the beginning, I read it in a day, and plan to read more from the author in the near future.

Definitely add this to your TBR list, and thank you St. Martin’s Press and NetGalley for the eARC of Built to Last

I'm a huge fan of Erin Hahn's young adult romances, so I was really excited to receive an ARC of BUILT TO LAST. In her young adult books, Hahn excels at writing emotional intimacy and complex inner narratives of characters. All of that shines here as well. BUILT TO LAST is a warm, low-stakes romance that takes two Hollywood stars out of Hollywood and sticks them in a small town in Michigan. The secondary characters are delightful (I'm eager to read Maren and Lorelai's books in the next couple of years) but the real draw here is the chemistry between Shelby and Cameron. They're sweet and sexy and silly. This is a fun read that does exactly what it intends.

Thank you to NetGalley and St. Martins for the ARC!

THIS BOOK IS SO CUTE! Yes i'm using caps because I want to scream with cuteness overload. Shelby & Cam are an absolutely swoon worthy couple, and I am such a sucker for long time friends to lovers, and loved how there was a bit of a second chance as adult thing going on too. I loved that the drama within their relationship was from outside sources rather than each other (I hate when romcom relationships fall apart because of internal factors). I also really loved how we got to flip between Cam and Shelby's perspectives! And we get a little bit of spice too, which I'll never complain about! Overall, this is definitely one that I think everyone needs to have on their release radar!

It's very exciting that Erin Hahn is venturing into adult romance/romantic comedies now. I loved all of her YA novels - You'd Be Mine, More Than Maybe, and Never Saw You Coming - so I was thrilled to dive into a new book from her and Built to Last did not disappoint. Shelby and Cameron were each other's first loves, connecting as child-actors on the set of a hit tv show - but growing up, dealing with the ups and downs of fame, and moving on from Hollywood, led them to grow apart but never truly let go of each other. An opportunity to reconnect and a fresh shot at fame comes their way in the form of a HGTV-esque home improvement show - and drama, hilarity, and romance ensue! Cameron and Shelby have great chemistry together - truly adorable around each other. They are both characters you want to root for - both as a couple - and individually as they each deal with their own family drama, insecurities, and doubts. So many of the side characters were amazing- loved Kevin, Daniel, and Lorelai especially. Definitely looking forward to a book centered around Lorelai. Built to Last was a great read and I can't wait for the next book from Erin Hahn. Thank you to NetGalley and St. Martin's Press for the chance to read this novel.

Thank you NetGalley and St. Martin's Griffin Press for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review :)

Built to Last by the TALENTED Erin Hahn

This book was absolutely adorable and just the refreshing romance I needed after reading so much dark romance haha.

* Unlike most of the other reviews, I typically like the like the love triangle trope. So even if it's not your typical trope, I would still give this adorable book a shot.

BOOK BLURB:
Two childhood sweethearts find a second chance at love in this adult romance debut from a critically acclaimed young adult author.

Shelby Springfield has spent the last ten years trying to overcome her past, sanding it away like she does the rough spots on the vintage furniture finds she makes over. But as a former child star, it’s hard to forget a mediocre pop career, a meltdown widely documented by the paparazzi, and a huge public break with her former co-star Lyle Jessup. It’s also hard to forget her other co-star and childhood sweetheart, Cameron Riggs -- the one who got away.

Anytime Shelby has called, Cameron has come running… And then he runs right off again to chase stories around the world by making documentaries, too scared to admit what he really wants. But when Lyle stirs the pot, getting the two back in the spotlight with a home renovation show, Cameron can't help but come on board.

There's something in it for everyone -- almost. Cameron wants to come home and set down some roots. Shelby wants to prove to the world she's not the messy party girl anymore. And Lyle wants to twist the screws on his two childhood friends who had more chemistry than he could dream of with anyone. Sparks and sawdust fly as Shelby and Cameron film the pilot for "Homemade" and battle Lyle’s shenanigans at every turn.

Erin Hahn’s sparkling rom com debut, Built to Last, is a second chance romance sure to have readers falling in love fast.

***
REVIEW:

As much as I loved her to death, Ms. Shelby was hot mess express; however once she started doing renovations with her dad, she found her true calling which was a fun experience to witness as a reader because if I'm being honest, although I typically love a damsel in distress type trope/book, I'm glad Shelby was able to hold her own in this book despite the miscommunications with the men, despite being unsure at times, and despite all the other things. She is a true, good heroine. It made it easy to relate to her. Lyle, didn't really like him, but I know there always has to be ONE character that no-one likes, Lyle is it. enough said about him. Now Cameron, I loved this man and feel like I won't ever not love this man. He was sweet, and knowing that this books is a friends to lovers, the pining was to dieeeeee for! * insert heart eye emoji *10000* The two seem to have such good chemistry, and I am loving the whole childhood sweethearts to be able to tell your kids about vibe. One of the big things in this book however was that they both slowly started to fade from the glitz, glam, limelight and honestly reminded me of the House Flipping couple on the HGTV network.

Book was so perfect in every aspect.

TROPES;
* one bed, pining, slow burn, friends to lovers, childhood friends to lovers, miscommunication ( a little ), second chance, forced proximity, workplace.

please note there is one descriptive sex scene between minors, however it was consensual; but if that's not your jam here's your info tidbit.

This book is about past movie stars coming back together for a home renovation show. I loved this book, the characters were well developed, and the plot kept me waiting for more. This story is also is about dealing with a manipulative boss. My only real complaint with this book is Cameron and Shelby’s love felt a little bit rushed, but other than that, I loved it.

If you are an Emily Henry, Beth O'Leary, Christina Lauren romance fan, you will love this book. Erin Hahn brings all the fun to this second chance romance. Shelby Springfield is a childhood star that lost herself and then found herself once again through the discovery of renovating priceless woodwork and renovation. Cameron Riggs was Shelby's co-star back when she as the LA it girl and he hasn't stopped thinking about her for years. He's always the one who comes whenever she needs him. With a new show concept on the line and the two former co-stars coming together to work on a show once again will the romance spark once again? Erin does an amazing job of developing characters and processing conflicts between them. If you love HGTV shows you will really enjoy this one. This is a must read for any rom com fan!

This wasn’t for me in particular. Some of the chapter titled felt silly and out of character for people who aren’t supposed to be teenagers. The spicy scenes almost came to early, which I never say. This has a LOT of potential but for characters who we’re supposed to like as the reader, they were unbearable. Also the last time… maybe cut the iffyness in the reply?

I read this book in one day, y’all. ONE. I love when I am so involved in a story that I can’t walk away and this book hooked me and wouldn’t let go. Do yourself a favor and read it. For me, it is a fresh storyline and I very much enjoyed that aspect. I was also very happy to read about a female in a typically male-dominated field. I can’t wait to read more by this author.

Thank you netgalley and the publishers for this e-arc in exchange for an honest review.
The characters were very likable, I loveddd the plot of the story, and there weren't any times when I was reading and was entertained.
5 stars

What really drew me into this book at first was the beautiful cover and fun description! I had never read the authors other works, but loved the premise of childhood sweethearts, home reno shows, and overall seemed like a good read - and it was!
Built to Last was a cute, fun book that I enjoyed. The characters were intriguing and I really loved to see the growth that happened. The plot was enough to keep me interested with fun dialogue and situations. I felt like this was a good rom-com premise and Erin Hahn did a good job delivering. It's perfect for readers who love a good long lost love type romance, slow burn, and fun premise.

There were a two small things I didn't like about this book. The pacing was a little off to me - I was sucked in quick and then the story drug on a little for me in the middle. It didn't stop me from reading, but I did skim a little. The other thing was the writing wasn't my usual preference for an adult romance, it seemed a little more YA style (not in topic!) just the style of writing. BUT with being an adult debut I would definitely read more of this authors adult novels!
ARC was provided to me by Netgalley & publisher.

Built to Last, by Erin Hahn
Release Date: October 18, 2022
🌟🌟🌟🌟/5

Former TV stars and childhood sweethearts Shelby and Cameron are reunited for a new project after leaving the LA spotlight years ago. But after everything they've been through together, and everything that's changed since they parted ways, will they be able to work together (and overcome setbacks planted by their scheming former co-star) to make this new project a success?

I really enjoyed Built to Last! The alternating POVs capture the will-they-won't-they storyline as both Shelby and Cameron come to terms with their complicated history and try to figure out how they fit in each other's lives moving forward. I loved all the pop culture references, and the behind the scenes details about their home renovation project were so interesting!

Read this if you love:
📖 HGTV and DIY projects
📖 Female friendships
📖 Second chance romances

Thank you Netgalley and St. Martins Press for the opportunity to read this advanced reader copy.

4.5 stars // I was beyond thrilled when I got an arc of Erin Hahn’s adult romance, Built to Last! She is one of my all time favorite YA authors & I could not wait to read this one! If you love all things Erin Hahn, you are going to love this one. Written in her charming & hilarious voice, we meet Shelby & Cam, child actors turned sweethearts. After Cam left without much of a word years ago, he’s back & surprise - they are doing a home renovation show together. Oh & their other co-star & Shelby’s ex is producing the show & bringing allllll the drama.

Read this one if you like:

-tree trunk thighs & all the flannel
-childhood stars & best friends turned lovers
-home renovation shows
-the sweetest father/daughter relationship
-the most fun trio of friends
-second chance romance
-midwesterners

Being a Midwestern myself it’s always fun to see that view point in books & I loved watching Shelby’s transformation back to her roots of a down to earth Midwestern girl. Cam is just the sweetest & while they both definitely have their relationship issues, it’s great to see them try to work them out. I really enjoyed this book & can not wait to read whatever Erin Hahn writes next (especially Lorelei & Maren’s books!!)

Huge thanks to NetGalley & St. Martins Press for the advance reader copy.

I loved the characters in this story! The friends added a great deal to the storyline. I enjoyed getting to read a glimpse of the Hollywood lifestyle but the Midwestern setting was perfect! I liked that even though you knew how it was going to end, there were plenty of twists along the way to keep you engaged.

This is a slow burn friends to lovers/ second chance romance story. I found both characters to be super likeable and somewhat entertaining. Unfortunately, this story wasn't my favourite. I found myself skimming some parts of the story as I waited and waited for them to just confess their love already. I did appreciate that there wasn't really a miscommunication trope where the lovers can easily fix their issues with open communication, so that was a plus. I just wasn't super invested in this story like I thought I would be, considering I love home renovation shows, but it just didn't work for me.

I loved this story of two former child stars who reunite to make a home renovation pilot. It was so refreshing to read a rom-com where the main characters don’t hate each other, play games or have all kinds of miscommunications. You root for them throughout the book! I have already requested other books from Erin Hahn from the library! She’s definitely an “author to read!”