Cover Image: Potiphar's Wife

Potiphar's Wife

When I first started this book I didn’t think I would like it or get into it. But I was very wrong. It did take me several chapters but once I got into this book I was hooked.

I will be honest, I didn’t like Zully for most of this book. She was so emotional and irrational. I kept wondering what would push her to try to get Joseph in trouble and why? Nothing really gave any indication of how the author would make that happen. However, with Zully’s emotional state nothing would really surprise me.

Even though I didn’t care for Zully, Joseph is a good character and Zully’s maid was a sympathetic character as well.

Overall, a very interesting and good book.

A copy of this book was given to me through Netgalley. All opinions are my own.
POTIPHAR'S WIFE - Mesu Andrews

Great book I received to my Kindle for review purposes.  I thoroughly enjoyed this book.  I will admit I struggled getting started because I knew it was historical fiction. But, once I took that to heart I enjoyed the book.

Ms. Andrews tries to research her historical fiction before completing it.

The story had intrigue, mystery and of course, truth of who Elohim was to Joseph and how that had made his way prosperous.  Not without challenges but God-Elohim is faithful and blesses Joseph in many ways and we don't even see the brothers.

I strongly recommend this book as it is enjoyable and also gives a little picture of life before all the trappings of today.  Truly people had to trust God by faith because they didn't have the scriptures.

So, enjoy and be sure to check out her other books.
Potiphar’s Wife by Mesu Andrews
Who hasn’t wondered about the woman who was married to Potiphar but attempted to seduce Joseph?  Mesu Andrews uses the skeleton of the biblical account to create a well-researched story that will linger for a long time in the reader’s memory.
Set in Crete and then in Egypt, this book was different from other biblical fiction that I had read.  At first I found it difficult to get into, but I kept reading and was soon absorbed by the story.  It was very complex and layered, not at all what I had imagined as being a straight-forward attraction of Potiphar’s wife to Joseph.  She spends much of the book building the scaffolding for the event and then it occurs quickly near the end of the story.  She covers Zuleika, Potiphar’s wife, thoroughly, but the book ends with most of Joseph’s story untold.  A sequel, perhaps?
Readers who enjoy biblical fiction will enjoy this book.  It covers some new ground by being set in Egypt and focusing on the rich culture of Egypt.  It develops the characters outside the biblical narrative so that they feel “real.”  It contains many twists and turns in the plot so that the reader doesn’t have a clear view of exactly how the biblical narrative will take place.  It concludes with hope for the main character, Zuleika and for Joseph.  I am curious to see what Mesu envisions as a sequel to this beginning of Joseph’s life.
I enjoyed this book and am grateful to the publisher for a complimentary copy in exchange for this, my honest review.
Loved loved this one!
I savored this book because I didn't want it to end!
Joseph is definitely one of my favorite people in Biblical history.
Andrews had done a wonderful job in bringing these characters to life!
I've really enjoyed this author's books but I think this one will be my favorite one besides Miriam.
Have you ever read the story of Potiphar's wife in the Bible? I suppose I have (because I've read the Bible cover to cover before), but it was not a story that I remembered. Mesu Andrews' novel Potiphar's Wife takes the story and expands it to weave a fictional tale that gives an explanation to the wife's actions - and gives her a name.

When Princess Zuleika's home in Crete is destroyed by an earthquake, killing her mother and her husband, Zuleika offers herself as a bride to the Egyptian Pharaoh in exchange for the funds to help Crete rebuild. But the Pharaoh doesn't want another wife - he already has two - so he accepts Zuleika as a bride to the captain of his bodyguards, Potiphar. Thus begins a dark time in Zuleika's life, alone in a strange land married to a man she didn't want to marry and wishing she could just go home. Her only friends are Ahira, her maidservant, and Joseph, Potiphar's chamberlain. Zuleika is desperate to find a way back to Crete, so desperate that she'll do anything.

Through it all, she keeps hearing about Elohim, Ahira and Joseph's God. Can Zuleika see her way out of her darkness and see her place in God's plan?

I would highly recommend reading a physical copy of this book instead of an e-book because there is a guide to who the characters are in the very beginning, and with a physical book, it would be easier to flip back to that guide whenever you can't remember who someone is. There are A LOT of characters. You're never going to keep them all straight.

I like that the author created a new story for "one of the Bible's most infamous women", but the original story has Zuleika lusting after Joseph, and I gotta be honest - I wasn't really getting that vibe from this novel. There wasn't a whole lot of build-up to that. There were two episodes where Zuleika asked Joseph to "bed her" and he refused, and each time it just seemed so random.

That said, I enjoyed reading about Egyptian history, especially because my husband and I were watching the Disney+ series "Moon Knight", which takes place in Egypt and involves Egyptian gods, so it was cool to understand the references in the show thanks to this novel's historical explanations.

Potiphar's Wife is published by Waterbrook Press and will be available to purchase tomorrow! I received a free e-ARC in exchange for this review.
Mesu has done it again! This book is so good! Ms. Andrews took the story of Joseph and explored. The reader receives a rich picture of the biblical world.  You really feel you are in that world at points. The author always has some redemption written into her stories. She did not fail with this one. The author provides some of her research details, those are interesting on their own. I read an electronic copy for review purposes.
Mesu Andrews’ latest release, Potiphar’s Wife, takes the reader back to ancient Egypt with the Biblical story of Joseph and Potiphar’s Wife.

We meet Potiphar’s wife in Genesis 39 when she repeatedly requests that Joseph join her in bed, and he repeatedly, but kindly refuses. Potiphar’s wife grew increasingly frustrated and embarrassed by his consistent refusals, and as a result, decided to accuse him of attempted rape.

Mesu artfully crafts a gripping multiple viewpoint masterpiece as we follow Princess Zuleika of Crete through tragedy in Pharaoh’s court and the tumultuous years full of intrigue, loss, hope, and questions of love and faith.

Princess Zuleika is a woman who voluntarily leaves her homeland to trade herself for Egyptian support to rebuild her country after the great quake, in order to “protect and prosper” her people. She is quickly given in marriage to Potiphar, Pharaoh’s most trusted and beloved Captain, who would rather face battle than take a wife.

Potiphar’s Wife is a well-researched faith fiction novel for adult readers. As the author reminds us in her notes, the story is rooted in scripture but created as fiction. While it’s classified as faith fiction, it could be enjoyed by readers who don’t have religious preferences. The story centers on both Egyptian and Christian belief systems and their influences on the character’s life-altering choices.

Personally, I couldn’t put the book down once I started. I held my breath on multiple occasions. It was a captivating, emotional rollercoaster leaving me completely satisfied as I read the last line. Mesu masterfully connects the modern reader with the familiar desires and temptations of ancient man.

I highly recommend this book to any adult readers who love historical fiction, political intrigue, or Christian fiction for this story of loss, obsession, redemption, forgiveness, and love.
I sat on this review for a while. I needed a bit of time to digest and really think about this book before I provided an honest review.

Let me start by saying, it was a great read! Very rich in culture, language, customs, and history. I loved the fact that it was written on the point of view of what many of us would consider the villain of Joseph’s story. I’ve never met anyone who read Joseph’s story in the Bible and liked Potiphar’s wife. That being said, I had a hard time relating to Zuleika (research has found this is Potiphar’s wife name). Although I understood her struggle and the circumstances she found herself in. I think she tried to make the best of her situation in the life she had.

This book gives an insight on the life that led Zuleika to the woman we meet in Joseph’s story and how the circumstances aided in the decisions she made. This is a very interesting reimagining that gives a very unique point of view to a character that is usually hated by most Bible readers. The descriptive language and the way the Minoan and Egyptian cultures are shown have such vivid descriptions; I kept rereading over them just to keep imagining it.

I would recommend reading the author’s note where she depicts what was fact and fiction. It was an enjoyable read all together and would definitely recommend.

I received a complimentary copy from the author through NetGalley. Opinions are all my own.
Potiphar’s wife is one of the bad girls in The Bible. She framed and sent Joseph to jail because he rejected her advances. In this retelling of the infamous event, Mrs. Andrews gives Potiphar’s wife a voice. Through Potiphar’s wife’s eyes, the reader gets to know her background and her motivations for framing Joseph. She also has a name that was not mentioned in The Bible. Her name in this novel is Zuleika.

Zuleika was once the crown princess of Crete. Her husband and mother die in an earthquake and the kingdom is destroyed by the natural disaster. With hopes of rebuilding her homeland, she travels to Egypt and offers herself as a bride for the pharaoh. However, the pharaoh gives her to his best friend, Potiphar. There she meets Potiphar’s right-hand man named Joseph. This unleashes a chain of events that would lead her to commit her horrible act of framing an innocent man.

Zuleika is a sympathetic but not often likable protagonist. Because she was once a princess and comes from a culture where women ruled when their husbands were absent, she often assumes that Potiphar will let her run the estate when he is away. However, Potiphar makes Joseph ruler in his stead. Zuleika is not happy with being powerless and confined to her rooms as a docile wife. She also wants the power to manage her own household. Therefore, Zuleika and Joseph are wrapped in a power struggle. Zulieka goes through many tragic events. However, she’s made many bad choices. These bad choices really made it hard to like her. She also can be ruthless at times. Still, she suffered through so many hardships that she becomes a pitiful woman by the time she frames Joseph. Thus, Zukeika was an unhappy woman who was trying to find her happiness.

The supporting characters are more fascinating than Zuleika. My favorite character in this story is Joseph, who is the true hero of this novel. His faith is tested by God, and he remains very faithful to him. With God’s love, he becomes stronger no matter his hardships. Thus, Joseph is a very admirable character. I also like Zuleika’s Hebrew maid, Ahira. Ahira suffered many hardships. However, she finds healing through God’s love and mercy. Potiphar is also an interesting character who is faithful to his best friend, the Pharaoh. Thus, all the supporting characters are very complex and realistic.

Overall, this novel is about loss, repentance, and forgiveness. The message of this book is that God has a plan for everyone. There are a few drawbacks to this novel. The plot is very simple and because of it seemed drawn out. It could easily have been shorter. The pacing of the story is also uneven. It moves at a slow pace from the beginning to the middle. The last part of the novel seemed very rushed. Nevertheless, Potiphar’s Wife gives readers a deeper look at the infamous villainess. I recommend this novel for fans of The Red Tent, The Dream Weaver’s Bride, and Asenath!
COVER: Simply beautiful

LOCATION: This Biblical Historical Fiction took me on a journey from the isle of Crete, to Egypt, the land of the Pharaohs. The author's description of Egypt literally took me into the throne room of Pharoah Khyan, and all the intricacies of the desert land, the good and not so good.

Our protagonist Zulieka, a minoan princess,  goes to Egypt to marry Pharoah. This union, instigated by her father the King of Crete, was supposed to save her people from the tradgedy that brought their country to want, and took the lives of her queen mother and husband the prince. She enters Egypt with a gift for Pharoah and high hopes for her beloved country's future. However, things don't go as planned. Pharaoh refuses the arrangement and instead passes her off to his commander of the army, Potiphar. All hell broke loose after that.

I was so looking forward to reading my first Mesu Andrews novel, because her name is so esteemed among the christian community.

I went in expecting to not like the character of Zulieka, considering her actions towards Joseph in biblical accounts. However, the author Mesu Andrews showed Zulieka's motivations behind her deceit. It prooved that no one is either good or bad. Both traits inhabits us all, and it depends on the choices we make that determines the traits that surfaces. Still, my heart couldn't warm up to her, even after finishing the book.

One of the characters that I loved was Pushpa, who was like a mother to Potiphar. She was humble, full of wisdom and had a heart of gold. We also got to go a little deeper into Joseph's faithfullness to Elohim and his feelings towards his brothers' cruelty. I really wished there was more character development in the story. The moments leading up to Zulieka's treachery felt flat.

The themes of deception, redemption and forgiveness were thoroughly expressed and I was very content with how things concluded for Zulieka.
All in all, Potiphar's Wife was a well researched biblical fiction, but it didn't pull at my heart strings.

Thank you to NetGalley and Waterbrook Press for gifting this copy in exchange for my honest review. All opinions are entirely my own.

HAPPY READING!❤
This book was not at all what I expected based on the biblical story. It seems the author used that as a loose background for a wildly fictitious tale, which offers a sweeping historical read but not what I was looking for. I prefer Bible fiction to stick closer to the text and not take so many liberties. And the sexual content added to the Bible story bothered me too, plus the light mention of abortives. This may present a realistic glimpse at life in ancient Egypt and Crete, but I think it should just be billed as intriguing historical fiction. The characters do seem quite authentic, and I learned some interesting history set in a compelling plot. I recommend it with reservations. I appreciate the redemptive thread woven in. I received a copy from the author. All opinions are my own. #PotipharsWife #NetGalley
Potiphar's Wife is another captivating Biblical fiction book from award-winning storyteller, Mesu Andrews. Her stories are fascinating, rich with detail that take readers right into the scenes of Scripture and the culture of the people. Readers will love this fictional account of a young princess of Crete, Zuleika. Compelled to wed Pharoah's best friend, Potiphar, in a move to strengthen trade ties with Egypt and save her beloved Crete, her ultimate goal is to do all she can to return to Crete. The characters have depth and reality. Their emotions and strengths resonate well with readers. Compassionate and wise, Pushpa, "mother" to Pharoah and Potiphar, is a favorite character of mine. Zully makes selfish choices, yet the author gives credence to the idea that those choices were understandable and perhaps forgivable. Throughout the story there is a strong thread of faith in the God Who Sees and is at work in difficult situations, extending grace and mercy and changing lives.
I received a copy of the book from the publisher, and a favorable review was not required. The opinions are my own.
Potiphar's Wife
Captivating story! Well researched and written. Based on the Bible, but with some discretion in adding to the true story.
Title:    Potiphar's Wife
Author:    Mesu Andrews
Genre:    Christian
Rating:  4.2 out of 5

Before she is Potiphar's wife, Zuleika is a king's daughter on the isle of Crete, where the sisterhood of women rules in the absence of their seafaring husbands. Now that she's come of age, Zuleika knows she will soon be betrothed. Her father believes his robust trade with Egypt will ensure Pharaoh's obligation to marry his daughter.

But Pharaoh refuses and gives her instead to Potiphar, the captain of his bodyguards--a crusty bachelor twice her age, who would rather have a new horse than a Minoan wife.

Abandoned by her father, rejected by Pharaoh, and humiliated by Potiphar's indifference, Zuleika years for affection. But when her obsession with Joseph, the Hebrew chamberlain with the face and body of the gods, goes terribly wrong, she discovers the truth: Only the God of Joseph can heal her wounded heart.

I’ve been looking forward to reading this for so long, and I finally had the time! I’ve loved all of Mesu Andrews’ books I’ve read, and I really enjoyed this one, too, although not quite as much as some of the others. I found Zully really difficult to like, frankly. She was so selfish and self-absorbed and couldn’t see past her own short-sighted ambitions to anyone else. I enjoyed the secondary characters like Joseph quite a bit, and I would have liked to see more from Potiphar’s point-of-view, but Zully annoyed me quite a bit. Still, a solid read that I enjoyed.

Mesu Andrews is an award-winning author. Potiphar’s Wife is her newest novel.

(Galley courtesy of WaterBrook & Multnomah in exchange for an honest review.)
Mesu Andrews wrote yet another compelling story about biblical characters from the Old Testament. I loved her attention to detail in the Egyptian and Minoan cultures depicted. I enjoyed her portrayal of Joseph and other supporting characters, and I felt real empathy for Potiphar’s wife.

I’m excited I have another treasure to pass on to friends and family who also enjoy biblical historical fiction.

I received this ARC from NetGalley. Thank you for the opportunity to read this book early.
4 1/2 ⭐⭐⭐⭐
Mesu Andrews is one of my all time favorite authors, and this book was such a treat. Mesu does a great job with character development and this book even had me rooting for the bad guys.

Little is known about Potiphar's wife, she is the one who was trying to tempt Joseph to her bed and when he refused she told Potiphar that he had tried to rape her.

I was in love with the way Mesu wrote Potiphar's character, at first I thought I was going to hate him but he proved me wrong. Even the minor characters in the story held my heart and wouldn't let go.

The only reason I gave it 4 1/2 instead of 5 stars, was I felt the beginning a little slow for me but it quickly picked up and had me wanting more.

Thank you to #NetGalley for a copy of this book #potipharswife
This author was new to me. Honestly, I often shy away from historical fiction involving Biblical characters for fear of mixing fiction with fact. However, Mesu Andrew’s’ well-researched work may just change my mind. I believe, I’ll be reading more of her work.

I had a love/hate relationship with the main character, Zuleika, Potiphar’s wife. I would have great empathy for her in one chapter and great disdain the next. She was complex to say the least. I love a good redemption story though and Elohim didn’t disappoint.
Is she truly the villain we think she was..?

I've held off writing this review for awhile now. For the simple reason that I've been digesting it, thinking about, pondering it... I knew from the get-go that Potiphar's Wife wouldn't be the easiest read. Face it, who do you know that's actually sympathetic to her? Yeah, me either. We always think of her blip in the Bible from Joseph's perspective. He's the good guy of the story and she's the villain. End of story. But, leave it to Mesu Andrews to take that stereotype and toss it right out the window while staying historically accurate and also true to the Bible.

From the outset I wasn't sure if I could ever like Zully (Zuleika). As I read her fictional story I found myself sympathetic, frustrated, annoyed, hopeful, and even a touch horrified a time or two. To me, she came across as young and naive, two things that, along with circumstances beyond her control, cause her to repeatedly make bad decisions in the name of following her own self-absorbed dreams. While I couldn't exactly connect with our anti-heroine personally, more than anything I wanted her to finally find the redemption and peace she longed for.
Right here I will note that because of some of the heavier themes this story is for adults and much older teens.

Mesu Andrews has a God-given knack for writing Biblical fiction in such a vivid way that you come to feel like you are somehow a part of the story and not just reading words printed in black ink on a white page. Potiphar's Wife is definitely a pretty good example of just that as both the Minoan and Egyptian cultures came to life and almost leaped off the page.

If you are up for a little assumption upsetting and love a story that will engage all of your emotions and the senses of your imagination, you should pick up Potiphar's Wife from the very talented Mesu Andrews...It will make you think long after you've finished...

(I received a copy of this book from the publisher. All opinions are entirely my own.)
Potiphar' Wife is an interesting story of how life might have been for Potiphar's Wife and what might have led her to attempting to entice Joseph. It was a very slow read for me partly because of not understanding the Egyptian culture. Potiphar's Wife is a wonderful example of God's forgiveness and redemption even though Zuleika kept making bad choices. I received a complimentary e-book through NetGalley. This is my honest opinion.
This book was a great fictional enhancement on this popular and controversial story in Genesis! I would recommend for fans of Francine Rivers and Debra White Smith