Cover Image: Potiphar's Wife

Title:    Potiphar's Wife
Author:    Mesu Andrews
Genre:    Christian
Rating:  4.2 out of 5

Before she is Potiphar's wife, Zuleika is a king's daughter on the isle of Crete, where the sisterhood of women rules in the absence of their seafaring husbands. Now that she's come of age, Zuleika knows she will soon be betrothed. Her father believes his robust trade with Egypt will ensure Pharaoh's obligation to marry his daughter.

But Pharaoh refuses and gives her instead to Potiphar, the captain of his bodyguards--a crusty bachelor twice her age, who would rather have a new horse than a Minoan wife.

Abandoned by her father, rejected by Pharaoh, and humiliated by Potiphar's indifference, Zuleika years for affection. But when her obsession with Joseph, the Hebrew chamberlain with the face and body of the gods, goes terribly wrong, she discovers the truth: Only the God of Joseph can heal her wounded heart.

I’ve been looking forward to reading this for so long, and I finally had the time! I’ve loved all of Mesu Andrews’ books I’ve read, and I really enjoyed this one, too, although not quite as much as some of the others. I found Zully really difficult to like, frankly. She was so selfish and self-absorbed and couldn’t see past her own short-sighted ambitions to anyone else. I enjoyed the secondary characters like Joseph quite a bit, and I would have liked to see more from Potiphar’s point-of-view, but Zully annoyed me quite a bit. Still, a solid read that I enjoyed.

Mesu Andrews is an award-winning author. Potiphar’s Wife is her newest novel.

(Galley courtesy of WaterBrook & Multnomah in exchange for an honest review.)
Mesu Andrews wrote yet another compelling story about biblical characters from the Old Testament. I loved her attention to detail in the Egyptian and Minoan cultures depicted. I enjoyed her portrayal of Joseph and other supporting characters, and I felt real empathy for Potiphar’s wife.

I’m excited I have another treasure to pass on to friends and family who also enjoy biblical historical fiction.

I received this ARC from NetGalley. Thank you for the opportunity to read this book early.
4 1/2 ⭐⭐⭐⭐
Mesu Andrews is one of my all time favorite authors, and this book was such a treat. Mesu does a great job with character development and this book even had me rooting for the bad guys.

Little is known about Potiphar's wife, she is the one who was trying to tempt Joseph to her bed and when he refused she told Potiphar that he had tried to rape her.

I was in love with the way Mesu wrote Potiphar's character, at first I thought I was going to hate him but he proved me wrong. Even the minor characters in the story held my heart and wouldn't let go.

The only reason I gave it 4 1/2 instead of 5 stars, was I felt the beginning a little slow for me but it quickly picked up and had me wanting more.

Thank you to #NetGalley for a copy of this book #potipharswife
This author was new to me. Honestly, I often shy away from historical fiction involving Biblical characters for fear of mixing fiction with fact. However, Mesu Andrew’s’ well-researched work may just change my mind. I believe, I’ll be reading more of her work.

I had a love/hate relationship with the main character, Zuleika, Potiphar’s wife. I would have great empathy for her in one chapter and great disdain the next. She was complex to say the least. I love a good redemption story though and Elohim didn’t disappoint.
Is she truly the villain we think she was..?

I've held off writing this review for awhile now. For the simple reason that I've been digesting it, thinking about, pondering it... I knew from the get-go that Potiphar's Wife wouldn't be the easiest read. Face it, who do you know that's actually sympathetic to her? Yeah, me either. We always think of her blip in the Bible from Joseph's perspective. He's the good guy of the story and she's the villain. End of story. But, leave it to Mesu Andrews to take that stereotype and toss it right out the window while staying historically accurate and also true to the Bible.

From the outset I wasn't sure if I could ever like Zully (Zuleika). As I read her fictional story I found myself sympathetic, frustrated, annoyed, hopeful, and even a touch horrified a time or two. To me, she came across as young and naive, two things that, along with circumstances beyond her control, cause her to repeatedly make bad decisions in the name of following her own self-absorbed dreams. While I couldn't exactly connect with our anti-heroine personally, more than anything I wanted her to finally find the redemption and peace she longed for.
Right here I will note that because of some of the heavier themes this story is for adults and much older teens.

Mesu Andrews has a God-given knack for writing Biblical fiction in such a vivid way that you come to feel like you are somehow a part of the story and not just reading words printed in black ink on a white page. Potiphar's Wife is definitely a pretty good example of just that as both the Minoan and Egyptian cultures came to life and almost leaped off the page.

If you are up for a little assumption upsetting and love a story that will engage all of your emotions and the senses of your imagination, you should pick up Potiphar's Wife from the very talented Mesu Andrews...It will make you think long after you've finished...

(I received a copy of this book from the publisher. All opinions are entirely my own.)
Potiphar' Wife is an interesting story of how life might have been for Potiphar's Wife and what might have led her to attempting to entice Joseph. It was a very slow read for me partly because of not understanding the Egyptian culture. Potiphar's Wife is a wonderful example of God's forgiveness and redemption even though Zuleika kept making bad choices. I received a complimentary e-book through NetGalley. This is my honest opinion.
This book was a great fictional enhancement on this popular and controversial story in Genesis! I would recommend for fans of Francine Rivers and Debra White Smith
For whatever reason, Biblical fiction sometimes takes me a while to get into. I don't know if it's because I know the Biblical accounts, so there's no surprises, or what the reason is, but that's just the way it is for me. I'm always (ok, almost always) glad I read it, but it takes me a while to get into it. This book was an exception to that.

This story had a way of drawing me in. No matter where I stopped, whether it was in the middle or at the end of a chapter, I got sucked right back in. I was THERE, in Egypt, watching all of this play out. Mesu Andrews, with her rich use of language, is very good at painting word pictures; I could see everything as if I was right there.

I'm so glad I read this. It gave me a new perspective on Potiphar's wife. Of course, we know this is fictional, and there's no way to truly know how she was, but I appreciate this way of seeing her. It also helped me to view Joseph in a new light, and to understand him better.

Excellent book!

~as an aside, while reading in 1 Kings today, chapter 10 verse 17 says he "used three minas of gold...", and that got me to thinking about this book again (Zully's first husband was named Minas). I love that the Bible reminds me of books I've read, and vice-versa.

*I received this book from NetGalley for review. All opinions are my own.*
I had the privilege of listening to the author at a Women’s Retreat last year and quickly became a fan of her amazing gift of storytelling. She puts an enormous amount of research into her stories, so even though they are fiction, there’s a lot of accurate historical information in them - not to mention the fact that they’re based on historical Biblical accounts.

I found this book to be VERY intriguing. So far, it’s my favorite book from this author. I couldn’t put it down! There are characters I loved and characters I loathed, and I enjoyed reading about a well-known Old Testament Bible story from a fictional standpoint.

One thing I will point out is that it’s important when reading this book to remember that the story is about Potiphar’s wife, not Joseph. Unless you remember that, the story may feel somewhat unfinished. However, the storytelling in this novel is phenomenal and I thoroughly enjoyed it!

I’d like to sincerely thank the publisher - Waterbrook & Multnomah - for gifting me an e-copy.
This was a super intense book.  While Mesu made the reader feel she was in the middle of the setting, with rich and evocative descriptions, there were many scenes that were hard to read.  I wouldn't consider this a light read, yet truth was woven throughout the book.
Zully looses both her husband and her mother in a devastating earthquake. She is a princess who must safe her country island and the way is for her father the king to bring her to the Pharaoh to be his wife. But the Pharaoh refuses and gives her to his captain, Potiphar.  Mesu Andrews is a gifted writing who draws me into the time and culture of Biblical history. Beautifully written!
Imagining a biblical woman and transforming what little is known into a captivating character and story is quite an undertaking. In Potiphar’s Wife, Mesu Andrews takes on a woman who is only known for evil - the unsuccessful seduction and following accusation that led to Joseph’s imprisonment - and tells a story that both repels and engages the reader.

Wed to Potiphar within weeks of her husband’s death, Princess Zuleik of Crete is then abandoned to the mercies - and lack thereof - of the Egyptian noblewomen and Potiphar’s household. But the worst betrayal comes from those Zully trusts, as plots and circumstances spiral beyond her control, leading to her eventual betrayal of Joseph and the aftermath.

Being familiar with the story of Joseph from the book of Genesis, I was both skeptical and intrigued by a story with the wife of Potiphar as heroine - or perhaps, anti-heroine. From the joy, quickly shattered, in Zully’s introduction through the surprising twists and dark turns of this story, through the final redemptive scenes, Mesu Andrews’ storytelling shines. Potiphar’s Wife is a well researched and creatively imagined work of biblical fiction that, as in the Bible itself, does not shy away from the parts of the story that we might rather look away from.

Recommended.

This review refers to a temporary and uncorrected digital copy that I voluntarily read via NetGalley, courtesy of the publisher. A positive review was not required and all opinions expressed are my own. Note that violence and lack of consent are portrayed on the page, though not in a graphic manner.
I enjoyed this telling of this bad girl of the Bible. Joseph is one of my favorite stories and Potiphar’s wife is a part of his story and we don’t know much about her other than she lied after trying to seduce Joseph. She was quite the character and we know she wasn’t going to be honorable after what she did to Joseph. I really liked learning about the customs and life in ancient Egypt. I think the author did an excellent job with the story. I received a copy of this book from the publisher. All views stated here are my own.
Mesu Andrews never disappoints with her Biblical fiction. It is always obvious that she has done a lot of historical and Biblical research before ever putting a pen to paper, and she always brings the time period and Biblical characters to life. Her additions to flesh out the story always build on the Bible as a foundation.

Potiphar's Wife, Zuleika, who is only mentioned by name in the Koran not in the Bible, was an interesting character, and is best known for chasing Joseph and having him committed to jail by Potiphar when Joseph would not respond to her advances. But little did she know that this was part of God's plan for Joseph as Joseph's life was a testimony to Yahweh.

Excellent Biblical fiction that I highly recommend for anyone who likes this genre.

**I received a complimentary copy of this book from the publisher through NetGalley. Opinions are mine alone. I was not compensated for this review.
This is a really good story and I enjoyed it a lot even though I did not really like any of the characters.  Zuleika is really a spoiled brat and her father is too.  It was interesting to get a story about how Joseph ends up in Pharaohs prison.  I do love how the author takes a small mention in the Bible and can make a wonderful story out of that.  This story made me laugh and cry and hope for Zuleika to grow up.  This is inspirational and emotional.  I received a copy of this book from Waterbrook and Multnomah for a fair and honest opinion that I gave of my own free will.
I have read several books by this author and she really does biblical fiction right. I always look forward to reading her new books when she releases one.
I can imagine biblical fiction would not be easy to write and I can see this is well researched.
The author brings to life what may have happened, why and the effects of these decisions.
Very well done mixing fact and fiction into a compelling read.

Published May 24th 2022
I was given a complimentary copy of this book.
All opinions expressed are my own.
Gail Hollingsworth's review Jun 03, 2022  ·

it was amazing

Author Mesu Andrews has a God given gift of bringing the Bible to life. I appreciate all the many hours she puts into the research of each book to make it as accurate as possible. It really shows in her stories and her author notes in the back.
In Potiphar’s Wife she brings young Zully from Crete to Egypt after an earthquake. Her father tells her as royalty in Crete she will be marrying the Pharaoh. She discovers he already has two wives and he plans for her to marry Potiphar. I really felt sorry for her at times. She had lost her husband and mother during the quake and left her beloved country to be offered as a wife in exchange for supplies from Egypt to rebuild Crete. The majority of the time she feels lonely and unloved. She never forgets her homeland.
Joseph as one of the main characters was a servant who loved God and knew God had a plan for his life. He went through many valleys and mountains figuratively as God shaped him.
I got a glimpse of life as it was lived during that time period and had me rereading Genesis. Punishments and executions were carried out on the spot with no further thought or investigation. That really surprised me.
This was a book that had me engaged right from the start. I also enjoyed the scriptures that were at the beginning of each chapter. I have read her book Of Fire and Lions about Daniel and couldn’t put it down. I will be looking for more of this author’s books to read in the future.
I received a complimentary ebook copy of this book from the publisher through Netgalley but was not required to write a review positive or otherwise.
3.75/5
Such a good book!! I enjoyed it so much!
We all know Mesu is the queen of using her writing to transport you to far of lands!
The descriptions, smells, colors, sounds- everything was perfection.
I went into this book thinking it was going to be exclusively about the story of Joseph, or at least that he was going to be the MC In this book. Instead, Joseph is more of a side character- he still plays an important part but the story revolves around Potiphar's wife and her life. That's why I knocked a star off my rating.
Even so, her villain origin story was captivating. The way Mesu weaved her story with complex layers like trauma, identity and belonging was very deep.
The ending was a little dissapointing for me, but I'm actually very curious to see where it will go in book 2.
I will say, this book is not intended for young audiences. It deals with matute subjects like sexual assault, infidelity, abuse, and some semi-descriptive kisses, etc.
Such an outstanding book!  If you have read anything about Joseph from the Bible, you know what Potiphar’s wife did to Joseph but what was her story?  Why did she try to entrap him?  I know this is a fictional account by the author but how I loved it!  Zuleika, Potiphar’s wife, becomes a character who I had sympathy for but at the same time, not.  I was completely drawn into the story, wondering what would happen next, even as I knew the story.  I loved the historical nuances woven in the story and appreciated all the research done by the author. I further loved the references to God as Elohim and El Roi and how Joseph faithfully shared about his God, the one true God.  So much to love about this Biblical fiction novel and I especially appreciated the epilogue, made me leave the book feeling so content!  I received a complimentary copy of this book from the publisher through NetGalley. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.
Potiphar's wife is an interesting take on the character that the bible does not give us many details on. It was nice getting to know her as a young woman and the country that she love surrounded by the sea and the many trials that she went through as a foreigner in a strange land. Her struggles trying to fit in. The choices that she makes and how they touched so many.