Cover Image: Potiphar's Wife

Potiphar's Wife

Potiphar’s Wife by Mesu Andrews was an unexpectedly captivating read. It was nothing like I expected yet the author engrossed my attention in the first few pages. I could not put this book down! I loved the opening scenario. It gave the book clear direction and purpose. I particularly love the way the author of this book tells a story with deeper meaning and a message., This is conveyed naturally and powerfully. I received a digital copy of this book from the publisher with no obligations. These opinions are entirely my own.
Thank you to WaterBrook & Multnomah, WaterBrook and to NetGalley for an ARC of this book.

I really love Biblical Fiction especially when it is done well.  This one is done really well.  This book was really well researched and it shows.  I  always loved the story of Joseph so when I saw this one I knew it was one that I needed to request.    The story blends the fiction with the Bible story really well.  This is definitely one I will recommend.
I just wanted to say that this book, Potiphar's Wife by @mesuandrews is AHHH-mazinggg! 😍
I didn't know what to expect since I only knew Potiphar's wife in the Bible as the woman who seduced Joseph unsuccessfully.
As I continued reading, I was like, "when will Zully stop?!" 😅😂
I mean, Potiphar seems nice. I do get that she is depressed on what happened but her problems just won't stop. She keeps on making bad decisions one after another.
But I remembered, she doesn't know the one true God. And most of the times, us believers always makes wrong decisions because we didn't trust Him.

I also liked the reminder that God sees me. That whatever I may be going through, He knows, and He is there. 💕

This is the first Mesu Andrews book that I have read and definitely won't be the last.
Mesu Andrew's Biblical Fiction never disappoints.  Always well researched and the characters are well developed.
The tale of Joseph and Potiphar’s wife is a well-known Old Testament story. In the Andrew Lloyd Webber musical Joseph and The Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, Potiphar’s unnamed wife is described as “beautiful but evil.” Andrews’ book dives headlong into the life of a villainized, strong-willed woman confined by cultural and social expectations.

Circa 1700 BCE, after tragedy destroys her home, Zuleika decides to barter herself to Pharaoh for Egypt’s aid. She has ruled in her father’s stead during his seafaring absences and believes her skills could benefit her people and Egypt’s. While promised the sought-after help, she is instead given to Pharaoh’s captain of the guard. The day after Zuleika marries Captain Potiphar, he’s sent away to combat border skirmishes. Zuleika’s efforts to introduce her culture to the royal women ends in disaster and starts rumors about her sanity. Kindness is given by few, including Potiphar’s mother, Joseph, and the Hebrew maid Ahira, who tries to teach Zuleika about Elohim. Instead, Zuleika relies on a childhood friend whose own abuse at the hands of slavers causes him to manipulate and betray her in both mind and body.

Writing with multiple points of view, Andrews reimagines the second intermediary period of Egypt with strong detail and characterization. Little phrases like “a warning shofar” (versus “bell”) help emphasize her period knowledge. Zuleika isn’t always a likeable character, but neither are the circumstances binding her. While Ahira tries to teach Zuleika to trust, emerging hardships put their faith to the ultimate test. Political and personal tensions will keep readers engaged. The book is a powerful examination of a woman abandoned and rejected by society and family, stifled in her creativity and intelligence, who simply wants to be seen but is remembered otherwise. Zuleika’s choices will challenge readers in the very themes of the novel: forgiveness, understanding, and redemption. Would you find her worthy?
Mesu Andrews is a master at historical fiction. In Potiphar's Wife, Andrews brilliantly provides the background of Zuleika, biblical woman with a bad reputation. Through vivid details and vibrant characters, the actions for which Zuleika continues to be judged for are explained in a relatable, humanly way. It's an excellent read for feminist Christians, like myself, who yearn to see the women of the Bible depicted in a respectable manner.
A fascinating perspective on a woman everyone loves to hate in the Bible. Her circumstances and trauma proposed in this version explain her actions well. There are many gut-wrenching moments for each of the four characters involved. You get Joseph's perspective, Potiphar's, Zully's (his wife's), and a slave girl Ahira who knew Joseph as a child (she's my favorite and I wouldn't mind a book about her someday).
I learned so much about the Minoans, Crete, Bedouins, and Ancient Egypt. I absolutely love this time period, but cannot imagine how difficult it must have been to research. The book is a treasure. It makes the history and theology of that time easier to understand while adding fiction. The wars, earthquake/tsunami on Crete and all the gods are things I never would have thought of in reference to Potiphar's wife. I highly recommend this book for anyone who wants to dig deep into the history surrounding Joseph and Egypt. If you enjoyed her book about Leah and Love Amid the Ashes you'll find some nods to those stories.
When I first started this book I didn’t think I would like it or get into it. But I was very wrong. It did take me several chapters but once I got into this book I was hooked.

I will be honest, I didn’t like Zully for most of this book. She was so emotional and irrational. I kept wondering what would push her to try to get Joseph in trouble and why? Nothing really gave any indication of how the author would make that happen. However, with Zully’s emotional state nothing would really surprise me.

Even though I didn’t care for Zully, Joseph is a good character and Zully’s maid was a sympathetic character as well.

Overall, a very interesting and good book.

A copy of this book was given to me through Netgalley. All opinions are my own.
POTIPHAR'S WIFE - Mesu Andrews

Great book I received to my Kindle for review purposes.  I thoroughly enjoyed this book.  I will admit I struggled getting started because I knew it was historical fiction. But, once I took that to heart I enjoyed the book.

Ms. Andrews tries to research her historical fiction before completing it.

The story had intrigue, mystery and of course, truth of who Elohim was to Joseph and how that had made his way prosperous.  Not without challenges but God-Elohim is faithful and blesses Joseph in many ways and we don't even see the brothers.

I strongly recommend this book as it is enjoyable and also gives a little picture of life before all the trappings of today.  Truly people had to trust God by faith because they didn't have the scriptures.

So, enjoy and be sure to check out her other books.
Potiphar’s Wife by Mesu Andrews
Who hasn’t wondered about the woman who was married to Potiphar but attempted to seduce Joseph?  Mesu Andrews uses the skeleton of the biblical account to create a well-researched story that will linger for a long time in the reader’s memory.
Set in Crete and then in Egypt, this book was different from other biblical fiction that I had read.  At first I found it difficult to get into, but I kept reading and was soon absorbed by the story.  It was very complex and layered, not at all what I had imagined as being a straight-forward attraction of Potiphar’s wife to Joseph.  She spends much of the book building the scaffolding for the event and then it occurs quickly near the end of the story.  She covers Zuleika, Potiphar’s wife, thoroughly, but the book ends with most of Joseph’s story untold.  A sequel, perhaps?
Readers who enjoy biblical fiction will enjoy this book.  It covers some new ground by being set in Egypt and focusing on the rich culture of Egypt.  It develops the characters outside the biblical narrative so that they feel “real.”  It contains many twists and turns in the plot so that the reader doesn’t have a clear view of exactly how the biblical narrative will take place.  It concludes with hope for the main character, Zuleika and for Joseph.  I am curious to see what Mesu envisions as a sequel to this beginning of Joseph’s life.
I enjoyed this book and am grateful to the publisher for a complimentary copy in exchange for this, my honest review.
Loved loved this one!
I savored this book because I didn't want it to end!
Joseph is definitely one of my favorite people in Biblical history.
Andrews had done a wonderful job in bringing these characters to life!
I've really enjoyed this author's books but I think this one will be my favorite one besides Miriam.
Have you ever read the story of Potiphar's wife in the Bible? I suppose I have (because I've read the Bible cover to cover before), but it was not a story that I remembered. Mesu Andrews' novel Potiphar's Wife takes the story and expands it to weave a fictional tale that gives an explanation to the wife's actions - and gives her a name.

When Princess Zuleika's home in Crete is destroyed by an earthquake, killing her mother and her husband, Zuleika offers herself as a bride to the Egyptian Pharaoh in exchange for the funds to help Crete rebuild. But the Pharaoh doesn't want another wife - he already has two - so he accepts Zuleika as a bride to the captain of his bodyguards, Potiphar. Thus begins a dark time in Zuleika's life, alone in a strange land married to a man she didn't want to marry and wishing she could just go home. Her only friends are Ahira, her maidservant, and Joseph, Potiphar's chamberlain. Zuleika is desperate to find a way back to Crete, so desperate that she'll do anything.

Through it all, she keeps hearing about Elohim, Ahira and Joseph's God. Can Zuleika see her way out of her darkness and see her place in God's plan?

I would highly recommend reading a physical copy of this book instead of an e-book because there is a guide to who the characters are in the very beginning, and with a physical book, it would be easier to flip back to that guide whenever you can't remember who someone is. There are A LOT of characters. You're never going to keep them all straight.

I like that the author created a new story for "one of the Bible's most infamous women", but the original story has Zuleika lusting after Joseph, and I gotta be honest - I wasn't really getting that vibe from this novel. There wasn't a whole lot of build-up to that. There were two episodes where Zuleika asked Joseph to "bed her" and he refused, and each time it just seemed so random.

That said, I enjoyed reading about Egyptian history, especially because my husband and I were watching the Disney+ series "Moon Knight", which takes place in Egypt and involves Egyptian gods, so it was cool to understand the references in the show thanks to this novel's historical explanations.

Potiphar's Wife is published by Waterbrook Press and will be available to purchase tomorrow! I received a free e-ARC in exchange for this review.
Mesu has done it again! This book is so good! Ms. Andrews took the story of Joseph and explored. The reader receives a rich picture of the biblical world.  You really feel you are in that world at points. The author always has some redemption written into her stories. She did not fail with this one. The author provides some of her research details, those are interesting on their own. I read an electronic copy for review purposes.
Mesu Andrews’ latest release, Potiphar’s Wife, takes the reader back to ancient Egypt with the Biblical story of Joseph and Potiphar’s Wife.

We meet Potiphar’s wife in Genesis 39 when she repeatedly requests that Joseph join her in bed, and he repeatedly, but kindly refuses. Potiphar’s wife grew increasingly frustrated and embarrassed by his consistent refusals, and as a result, decided to accuse him of attempted rape.

Mesu artfully crafts a gripping multiple viewpoint masterpiece as we follow Princess Zuleika of Crete through tragedy in Pharaoh’s court and the tumultuous years full of intrigue, loss, hope, and questions of love and faith.

Princess Zuleika is a woman who voluntarily leaves her homeland to trade herself for Egyptian support to rebuild her country after the great quake, in order to “protect and prosper” her people. She is quickly given in marriage to Potiphar, Pharaoh’s most trusted and beloved Captain, who would rather face battle than take a wife.

Potiphar’s Wife is a well-researched faith fiction novel for adult readers. As the author reminds us in her notes, the story is rooted in scripture but created as fiction. While it’s classified as faith fiction, it could be enjoyed by readers who don’t have religious preferences. The story centers on both Egyptian and Christian belief systems and their influences on the character’s life-altering choices.

Personally, I couldn’t put the book down once I started. I held my breath on multiple occasions. It was a captivating, emotional rollercoaster leaving me completely satisfied as I read the last line. Mesu masterfully connects the modern reader with the familiar desires and temptations of ancient man.

I highly recommend this book to any adult readers who love historical fiction, political intrigue, or Christian fiction for this story of loss, obsession, redemption, forgiveness, and love.
I sat on this review for a while. I needed a bit of time to digest and really think about this book before I provided an honest review.

Let me start by saying, it was a great read! Very rich in culture, language, customs, and history. I loved the fact that it was written on the point of view of what many of us would consider the villain of Joseph’s story. I’ve never met anyone who read Joseph’s story in the Bible and liked Potiphar’s wife. That being said, I had a hard time relating to Zuleika (research has found this is Potiphar’s wife name). Although I understood her struggle and the circumstances she found herself in. I think she tried to make the best of her situation in the life she had.

This book gives an insight on the life that led Zuleika to the woman we meet in Joseph’s story and how the circumstances aided in the decisions she made. This is a very interesting reimagining that gives a very unique point of view to a character that is usually hated by most Bible readers. The descriptive language and the way the Minoan and Egyptian cultures are shown have such vivid descriptions; I kept rereading over them just to keep imagining it.

I would recommend reading the author’s note where she depicts what was fact and fiction. It was an enjoyable read all together and would definitely recommend.

I received a complimentary copy from the author through NetGalley. Opinions are all my own.
Potiphar’s wife is one of the bad girls in The Bible. She framed and sent Joseph to jail because he rejected her advances. In this retelling of the infamous event, Mrs. Andrews gives Potiphar’s wife a voice. Through Potiphar’s wife’s eyes, the reader gets to know her background and her motivations for framing Joseph. She also has a name that was not mentioned in The Bible. Her name in this novel is Zuleika.

Zuleika was once the crown princess of Crete. Her husband and mother die in an earthquake and the kingdom is destroyed by the natural disaster. With hopes of rebuilding her homeland, she travels to Egypt and offers herself as a bride for the pharaoh. However, the pharaoh gives her to his best friend, Potiphar. There she meets Potiphar’s right-hand man named Joseph. This unleashes a chain of events that would lead her to commit her horrible act of framing an innocent man.

Zuleika is a sympathetic but not often likable protagonist. Because she was once a princess and comes from a culture where women ruled when their husbands were absent, she often assumes that Potiphar will let her run the estate when he is away. However, Potiphar makes Joseph ruler in his stead. Zuleika is not happy with being powerless and confined to her rooms as a docile wife. She also wants the power to manage her own household. Therefore, Zuleika and Joseph are wrapped in a power struggle. Zulieka goes through many tragic events. However, she’s made many bad choices. These bad choices really made it hard to like her. She also can be ruthless at times. Still, she suffered through so many hardships that she becomes a pitiful woman by the time she frames Joseph. Thus, Zukeika was an unhappy woman who was trying to find her happiness.

The supporting characters are more fascinating than Zuleika. My favorite character in this story is Joseph, who is the true hero of this novel. His faith is tested by God, and he remains very faithful to him. With God’s love, he becomes stronger no matter his hardships. Thus, Joseph is a very admirable character. I also like Zuleika’s Hebrew maid, Ahira. Ahira suffered many hardships. However, she finds healing through God’s love and mercy. Potiphar is also an interesting character who is faithful to his best friend, the Pharaoh. Thus, all the supporting characters are very complex and realistic.

Overall, this novel is about loss, repentance, and forgiveness. The message of this book is that God has a plan for everyone. There are a few drawbacks to this novel. The plot is very simple and because of it seemed drawn out. It could easily have been shorter. The pacing of the story is also uneven. It moves at a slow pace from the beginning to the middle. The last part of the novel seemed very rushed. Nevertheless, Potiphar’s Wife gives readers a deeper look at the infamous villainess. I recommend this novel for fans of The Red Tent, The Dream Weaver’s Bride, and Asenath!
COVER: Simply beautiful

LOCATION: This Biblical Historical Fiction took me on a journey from the isle of Crete, to Egypt, the land of the Pharaohs. The author's description of Egypt literally took me into the throne room of Pharoah Khyan, and all the intricacies of the desert land, the good and not so good.

Our protagonist Zulieka, a minoan princess,  goes to Egypt to marry Pharoah. This union, instigated by her father the King of Crete, was supposed to save her people from the tradgedy that brought their country to want, and took the lives of her queen mother and husband the prince. She enters Egypt with a gift for Pharoah and high hopes for her beloved country's future. However, things don't go as planned. Pharaoh refuses the arrangement and instead passes her off to his commander of the army, Potiphar. All hell broke loose after that.

I was so looking forward to reading my first Mesu Andrews novel, because her name is so esteemed among the christian community.

I went in expecting to not like the character of Zulieka, considering her actions towards Joseph in biblical accounts. However, the author Mesu Andrews showed Zulieka's motivations behind her deceit. It prooved that no one is either good or bad. Both traits inhabits us all, and it depends on the choices we make that determines the traits that surfaces. Still, my heart couldn't warm up to her, even after finishing the book.

One of the characters that I loved was Pushpa, who was like a mother to Potiphar. She was humble, full of wisdom and had a heart of gold. We also got to go a little deeper into Joseph's faithfullness to Elohim and his feelings towards his brothers' cruelty. I really wished there was more character development in the story. The moments leading up to Zulieka's treachery felt flat.

The themes of deception, redemption and forgiveness were thoroughly expressed and I was very content with how things concluded for Zulieka.
All in all, Potiphar's Wife was a well researched biblical fiction, but it didn't pull at my heart strings.

Thank you to NetGalley and Waterbrook Press for gifting this copy in exchange for my honest review. All opinions are entirely my own.

HAPPY READING!❤
This book was not at all what I expected based on the biblical story. It seems the author used that as a loose background for a wildly fictitious tale, which offers a sweeping historical read but not what I was looking for. I prefer Bible fiction to stick closer to the text and not take so many liberties. And the sexual content added to the Bible story bothered me too, plus the light mention of abortives. This may present a realistic glimpse at life in ancient Egypt and Crete, but I think it should just be billed as intriguing historical fiction. The characters do seem quite authentic, and I learned some interesting history set in a compelling plot. I recommend it with reservations. I appreciate the redemptive thread woven in. I received a copy from the author. All opinions are my own. #PotipharsWife #NetGalley
Potiphar's Wife is another captivating Biblical fiction book from award-winning storyteller, Mesu Andrews. Her stories are fascinating, rich with detail that take readers right into the scenes of Scripture and the culture of the people. Readers will love this fictional account of a young princess of Crete, Zuleika. Compelled to wed Pharoah's best friend, Potiphar, in a move to strengthen trade ties with Egypt and save her beloved Crete, her ultimate goal is to do all she can to return to Crete. The characters have depth and reality. Their emotions and strengths resonate well with readers. Compassionate and wise, Pushpa, "mother" to Pharoah and Potiphar, is a favorite character of mine. Zully makes selfish choices, yet the author gives credence to the idea that those choices were understandable and perhaps forgivable. Throughout the story there is a strong thread of faith in the God Who Sees and is at work in difficult situations, extending grace and mercy and changing lives.
I received a copy of the book from the publisher, and a favorable review was not required. The opinions are my own.
Potiphar's Wife
Captivating story! Well researched and written. Based on the Bible, but with some discretion in adding to the true story.