Cover Image: After the Wedding

After the Wedding

I received this arc through netgalley and the publishers.

We follow a power couple who set up their own advertising agency after a chance meeting on a train.Fast foward a few years and they employ Jessica.

Catherine has an odd feeling about Jessica but doesnt know why.  We follow the journey Cathering goes on to get to the bottom of her feelings and finally find out what happened after that wedding when she was five.

I would love to read more by this author
I love when you read a book and it is SO different then anything you have read in awhile. This book has so many twists and turns and you can't help but not stay up all night reading. This is the story of Christine and Jessica how their lives intertwine from the past to the present. Lots of suspense and mystery!! Loved this book  and recommend to anyone looking for a book to read with many twists.
When Christine was 5, she suffered a traumatic experience. Now, 30 years later, memories of that day are turning Christine’s life upside down. When she finally unearths what happened to her all those years ago, it will put her life in jeopardy.

Fast paced and compelling with twists and turns along the way, this is well worth a read.
Rating:  1.9/5

"After the Wedding" appears to be marketed as a psychological thriller, but I would suggest that this is a misleading description.  It certainly sits within the broader thriller genre, but attaching the additional "psychological" tag is tenuous, to say the least.  The "thriller" element essentially relates to organised crime, which is at the heart of this story.  There is a psychological aspect, but this relates to the way in which the human brain can sometimes suppress memories of harrowing experiences.

The early sections of this novel were quite encouraging.  The writing was fluent, engaging and augured well for what was yet to come.  Unfortunately, these early signs of promise did not develop as I would have hoped.  Instead of being fluent and engaging, the narrative became increasingly clunky and disjointed and reading more than a chapter at a time became something of a chore.

The plot certainly had the potential to make for enthralling reading and the sub-plot regarding memory suppression offered the prospect of another intriguing thread that could be developed and provide food for thought.  Unfortunately, I don't think the author made the most of the opportunities.  The characterisation was too often clichéd and superficial and events were all too frequently described in a melodramatic fashion.  In the end this was not a book that is likely to live long in the memory.

Many thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for supplying an ARC in return for an honest review.
can't believe it to me this long to do but wow , the story  itself is tense, atmosphric and fast paced and while it feels like it goes in different directions it also has a way of keeping you from guessing what is going to happen next. The characters themselves will make you feel like you want to shake them or scream at them for the decisions they make and will have you asking yourself ,what just happened.But somehow the author makes it all come together before the very end of the book. And that what I liked about , how it kept me on my toes ,made me second guess myself on what I thought I knew about the characters and what was going to happen next.
I think we all have experienced it already. You meet someone you have never met before, but you still have the feeling you know them. It can either be a good feeling or a bad one.

Time to find out more and that’s exactly what Christine decides to do. Was that a wise idea or should she just have let things be…?

It all starts with the past. There is no present and certainly no future without that base to depend on. No matter how hard you sometimes fight to hide what happened before, whether is was to hide crimes or to push shocking events away, sooner or later they will come back to haunt you.

When your life is about to be turned completely upside down, you know what you have to do. There is only one thing you can do…

A great story where someone does not stop at nothing to achieve what they are after.
I had figured out some details, but there was a lot more than that to discover with a twist I did not see coming.
In my opinion not a fast paced book, but a interesting one for sure. 4 stars.

Thank you Netgalley, Laura Elliot, and Bookouture for my gifted copy!

Synopsis:
When Jessica starts a job at Christine and her husband's company, Christine knows for sure that there's something wrong with her. And when Jessica's super rich father buys up the company, she knows she's right. But what does everything have to do with a suppressed memory of something terrible Christine witnessed at a wedding when she was only five years old?

My thoughts:
Nope. This just wasn't for me. I think the synopsis on Goodreads and Netgalley as well as the title are a bit misleading because it's not actually about the wedding. Well, yes, what happened there connects the two women, but I thought it was some kind of family drama. Turned out, this was a story about organised crime of some kind, and I really don't like that trope. Just because a psychologist is mentioned, doesn't mean it's a psychological thriller... If you are into business thrillers, this one is for you. The style of writing is really good, so if you're up for that kind of story, I recommend you go for it!

This was my first book by this author.
my first book buy this author and very much enjoyed. very addictive. Christine was a flower girl for her aunt and she got bored and went from the hotel grounds she can't remember what happened only that someone saved her from drowning as she gets older she meets Richard on a train they date and he has a dream of his own company they get married and they set up there own advertising company everything looking good then in walks Jessica for a job interview and they take her on in the company but she makes Christine uncomfortable then the bad nightmares start again. and then they meet Jessica's dad. what happened that day i so recommend this book
Unfortunately, this book wasn't for me. I was into it the first chapters and then it fell off from that point. The story went in many directions that I didn't find interesting. I didn't connect or care about any of the characters. Thanks for the advance review copy.
This book was incredible, it is tense, atmosphric and fast paced. The writing is good, the charcters are well developed and relatable and the storyline is twisty and unpredictable. I couldn't put this book it was completely gripping. I loved it.
Just wonderful. What a book. One of the best psychological thrillers I've ever read. The sense of unease builds until the tension almost leaps off the pace. The writing is beautiful, just wow. The author deftly leads us through the narrative, the twists leaving us gasping. Love this author - she always delivers and this book Wow! Her best by far! A psychological thriller packed with twists but also full of heart. Loved it.
This book was fast paced and full of drama.
Laura Elliott did a fabulous job of joining all the characters together and creating a masterful storyline that had me rapidly turning pages and staying up into the early hours of the morning to find out what happened next.
The characters are interesting and the plot intriguing.
This story moves very quickly and pace was right on point.
I loved the writing style of this author. She can capture the readers attention like no other and hold them there to the wild ending.
This is definitely a novel you won't want to miss!

Bookouture,
Thank you so much for this eARC!
Thank you to NetGalley, Bookouture, and Laura Elliot for the opportunity to review and ARC copy of “After the Wedding” in exchange for an honest review.

I really try to find the positive in an advanced review copy but this one was a big miss for me. While I appreciated what the author was trying to do here, it did not work for me. The storytelling was a bit clunky and, while the twists and turns were interesting, it did not blow me away unfortunately. I really struggled to get through this.

Add this one to the column of “books described as Gone Girl-esque” what end up falling flat.
This ARC was provided to me via Kindle, Bookouture  and  by #NetGalley. Opinions expressed are completely my own.

Characters are well written, the story is developed and crafted on a level that many aren’t. Kudos.
After the wedding was a superb read.  I love Laura's writing… It will bring you on a rollercoaster of emotions and right up to the end you can't call it. I loved how this book captured my attention in the first chapter, the author went right in and she did not slow down til the last sentence. I loved the characters and really enjoyed how it was written!
“After the Wedding” by Laura Elliot was a bit of a ride. The story starts by introducing the reader to Christine, who as a child nearly drowned. Now Christine runs an advertising firm with her husband. A young woman, Jessica, is hired as a copywriter for the firm, although Christine gets odd vibes every time she looks at Jessica. The firm gets dragged through the cyber-mud over an unfounded rumor and clients drop the firm. Jessica’s father turns out to be willing to purchase the company in order to save it. Then the narrative switches to Jessica … and that’s where things began falling apart for me. I believe that one was to feel sympathy for Jessica, but after spending a good quarter of the book setting her up as “the bad guy,” I had problems switching my perspective. After a bit of time, the book shifts between Christine and Jessica in present day, with some dips back into the past as Christine tries to figure out what is going on or what has gone on. I enjoyed the overall idea of this book, but I wish that Jessica’s story had been meshed in better so that I didn’t feel like it was whiplash going from disliking Jessica to then expecting to feel sympathy for her. I also found a number of the characters to be flat or maybe one dimensional. I also found that no one believed Christine’s memory because it had been through a hypnotherapist opposed to a “real” doctor disturbing. However, the ending was satisfying and I’ll probably read another book by this author in the future.
This story had a lot more to it than I was expecting, based on the short summary.  Christine witnessed a traumatizing event when she was five years old, and doesn't  remember it until years later when seeing a therapist for all of the stress and unrest occurring in her life.  She and her husband, RIchard, run a successful advertising agency, Foundation Stone, that has been targeted by a vicious online campaign.  Rumors of financial distress and selling of the business run rampant and no one can understand where it's coming from - the business is doing great.  Their copywriter, Jessica Newman, brings it to their attention as she works her hardest to dispel the rumors.  But clients start leaving and soon the business really is in trouble.  Christine and Richard have to go with their last resort to save the company and it doesn't leave everyone in the same position as before.  That's about all that can be said without spoiling that part.

The narrative shifts to Jessica's perspective as a child when she lives on the an Irish island and has little contact with the outside world.  She never knew her birth mother, but Margaret is her father's current partner and they have a close, loving relationship.  Her father has dealings on the island that she doesn't understand, and after a troubling occurrence one night, he flees with Jessica, but Margaret does not come with them.  As they leave, she promises a distraught Jessica that she will find her no matter what, but Margaret is never heard from again.

The perspective begins shifting back and forth between Christine and Jessica in the present day as they each adjust to the happenings in and out of the company.  That's when Christine visits a hypnotherapist and her traumatic memories start to resurface.  Not only was she a witness to something terrible, but someone saw her and tried to kill her.  Unfortunately, no one believes Christine about what happened and she has to work alone to figure out who was involved and how it relates to current events.  Because she uncovers disturbing facts that show the past is never really left in the past.

I enjoyed the intricacy of the plot, but the characters were a bit one dimensional.  Corrupt businessmen, bickering spouses, flirting coworkers, etc.  It was frustrating that no one believed Christine about her past just because it was a hypnotherapist that helped her. Typical 'look at my crazy wife/friend' reactions abound, even though what she claims wasn't far-fetched in the least.  And then there's an abrupt turnaround between a few of the characters at the end, where they relate to each other in the opposite way than in the entire story up to that point.  But the story flows well and I couldn't wait to see how it ended.  It's a fun read with a satisfying conclusion and I'm interested to see what this author comes up with next.
#AfterTheWedding #NetGalley
FAST PACED.
Christine has it all, a successful business which she runs with her husband, Richard Stone, a loving husband and a gorgeous house and then one day someone from the past came for the interview. Jessica, a young woman applies for an interview and the two women from the past meet again in the present. What connected them is their past all those years ago and the trauma they suffered. Christine witnessed something shocking at that wedding when she was just a child but now these women find out together what really happened all those years ago.
Margaret, i think she's a lovely character and the one who really suffered.
Awesome twists and really fast paced. Laura Elliot wrapped me around her finger. GOOD NOVEL.
Thanks to NetGalley and Bookouture for giving me an advance copy in exchange for an honest review.
Get ready for a wild ride down different rabbit holes.  Christine has a great marriage and a booming business, but has always been haunted by an incident when she was a child. The new hire at her business gives her the creeps and her gut tells her something is amiss. Always listen to that gut instinct.
Elliott wraps readers up in a tangled  knot that is slowly unlocked as the story unfolds. It definitely keeps readers on their toes.
Amazing thriller.  I was immediately drawn into this book that involves an event that happens at a wedding.  It is  a fast pace compelling thriller.  I couldn’t wait to find out what happened it was incredibly thrilled by the ending.