Cover Image: Wraith

Wraith

Wraith is a creepy, effective horror novel that deals with intergenerational trauma.  I had a ton of fun going along on Cecily's journey as she sought to figure out what was going on and more importantly, why.  Gothic horror vibes echo throughout the whole novel, but it doesn't also fall completely into the gothic horror genre, if that makes sense.  Rene and Cecily are well-developed, fleshed out characters who are interesting and make the reader care about them.  Rene in particular was one of my favorites!

Overall, I really enjoyed this book and look forward to reading more from Mark Wheaton.  Definitely give Wraith a read, especially if you're looking for a relatively quick read on a dark and stormy night!
For some reason, this book  just didn't do it for me. I didn't find it particularly frightening, and I thought Cecily, the protagonist, was rather irritating. While I admire Wheaton's decision to write an agoraphobic and extremely introverted character, being inside her mind was taxing for me as a reader. Cecily was perpetually anxious and spends a large portion of the book running around panicking, whether in the woods or the streets of Paris.

I thought the 'scavenger hunt' Marguerite left for Cecily was over-wrought; why wouldn't she just write Cecily a letter instead of leaving around mysterious clues like necklaces and words scribbled in sketches? Obviously it was a way for Wheaton to stretch out the mystery, but it felt improbable and impractical. I also found the twist/reveal to be out of left field. This one just wasn't for me.
Cecily LeClerq appreciated the company of plants over people, and would describe her social anxiety as being somewhere between an allergy and a phobia, depending on the situation. She avoided large crowds of any kind, and chose to live alone in a camper on the banks of the river outside Charleston, spending most evening sleeping under the stars. Those who knew her though felt that Cecily was living her best life though, especially considering the traumatic way she had lost both of her parents at such a young age.

Cecily’s father died soon after her birth, and her mother Sandrine never fully recovered. For much of her young life, the two were constantly on the move, traveling up and down the eastern seaboard every few months. Cecily didn’t know exactly what her mother was always running from, but she did know that her mother had never spent long anywhere since she had left France to come to America and that Sandrine was absolutely terrified of being around others.

Cecily was in her early teens when she witnessed her mother’s death, having been chased into the ocean by a horrifying ghastly woman that Cecily always thought was a figment of her imagination.

Ten years later, when a stranger arrives to inform her that one of her distant elderly relatives is desperate to see her before she dies, Cecily travels deep into the woods of France. There she will learn of an ancient curse that has been placed on her family, causing the death of many throughout the generations. The curse itself always personified by a terrifying wraithlike woman.. Will she finally learn the truth behind her mother’s death, and if so, is there anything she can do to finally break the curse once and for all?

To be completely honest, this book was not what I was expecting in a lot of ways, but that really ended up not being a bad thing at all. With plenty of horror, the mystery aspect of this shone through equally and I thoroughly enjoyed the fast-paced thrill of Cecily’s search for the truth behind it all.
“Wraith” is a horror/mystery/supernatural novel.  Set in Paris,  it follows the story of Cecily LeClercq and the frightening history of her ancestors.  As Cecily fights to untangle the historical mystery that brought the wraith’s vengeance upon the LeClercq family, the wraith sets its sights on her..  Mark Wheaton's writing style is easy and engaging and he has made sure to keep his readers held in anxiety inducing terror, throughout this novel.  The originality behind "Wraith",  will appeal to many paranormal/horror fans.
☠️ Wraith ☠️
by: Mark Wheaton
⭐️⭐️⭐️/3 stars
Genre: Horror/Fiction/Gothic/Mystery/Thriller/Paranormal
for the copy 😊

The book starts out as Cecily LeClercq is a young girl. During a hurricane like storm on the shores of Myrtle Beach, Cecily witnesses the death/suicide of her mother. But that wasn't the only thing she saw. Described as having long, matted hair, sharp pointed fingernails, slate colored skin and black eyes with slivers of deep red running through them. She carries this image with her into adulthood.

One day a visitor from Paris shows up to inform Cecily that her great grandmother has requested her presence before she passes. Unfortunately, she dies before Cecily arrives but the "wraith" is back. It's following her everywhere and she needs to find the origin of this family curse to be rid of it for good.

The ending wasn't what I was expecting because there were still a few unanswered questions. Maybe that was intentional?
A story is always interesting to me when deep, dark and hidden secrets come into play. Oh, and a curse. I like when an ancient curse is thrown in. Let the mystery and adventure begin. A gothic ghost story that engrosses the reader to follow Cecily and her quest to find out why a curse was placed on her family. An enjoyable ghost story.

Disclaimer: Thank you to NetGalley Southbound Films for this ARC, I received an advance review copy for free, and I am leaving this review voluntarily.
This one pulled me in and kept me engaged throughout!  The characters are well written and enjoyable. I would say that this is more of a mystery and not a horror, so please be aware of that going in. While I didn't get any chills that horror books often give, the mystery of this story is very well done. In the end some parts are a bit ambiguous, but I think that adds to the over feeling of the story. Definitely worth the read!
A family legacy that comes with a curse. What could go wrong?

Cecily suffered a tragedy as a child when she lost her mother to suicide. Though she remembers a supernatural figure stalking her and her mother the night she died she has come to terms with that being something her mind conjured up when she was a child. Now, she learns her great-grandmother is dying in France and requests her last living relative, Cecily, to come to meet her in person as she needs to speak with her. Cecily agrees and takes a trip to France that turns into a nightmare and fight for her life.

This was a pleasant surprise for me. I chose to read this on the cover/title alone and went in totally blind so I had zero expectations. The mystery surrounding the curse and Cecily's family history kept me intrigued through every chapter. Cecily and the side characters are well thought out and most of them are easy to like (except the ones you aren't supposed to like). Wheaton's writing is also easy to follow along and keeps you paying attention.

The only two slight issues I had with this was. First, there wasn't a clear cut answer that I was hoping for. However, I wouldn't say the ending leaves you hanging, but it wasn't the tidy ending I like. Which, of course, is just a personal preference. Second, time would jump mid paragraph with no indication of it. For example, the MC will be walking through the forest and the next sentence she is back at her apartment. Wasn't too big a deal but definitely kept me on my toes throughout the book.

Overall, I recommend!
After witnessing the death of her mother at a young age under mysterious circumstances, Cecily grows up alone without her birth family.  Then out of blue she is summoned to urgently meet her dying great grandmother.  Cecily soon learns about the family curse and the wraith that hunts her and everyone with the LeClercq name.

Not quite a horror book, more mystery.  Some elements led it to be a bit confusing in terms of exactly why the wraith existed, why it continues to haunt even though the LeClercq history was uncovered, and the painstaking actions to get rid of it were realised.
** spoiler alert ** Written beautifully
Everything came together and kept the story interesting
This is more of a mystery story to me

Family, mindset, France, mystery, horror, well
This one instantly drew me in and I was hooked from start to finish! Loved the story, definitely recommend!
Cecily suddenly is notified that she has a great grandmother that is living in Paris and is very ill.  Cecily is to be next in line to inherit the LeClercq fortune and also the curse that follows the LeClercq name.  Just as Cecily arrives in Paris, she learns her great grandmother has committed suicide by hanging herself from an Endangered Evergreen Oak tree that is growing on the LeClercq estate, exactly where her great great grandmother had hung herself.  While exploring her new home, Cecily discovers a Endangered Evergreen Oak sapling growing in a pot in her great grandmother’s greenhouse with her great grandmother’s necklace hidden in its branch’s.  As  Cecily sets out to explore the hidden message left behind by her great grandmother, she finds herself being stalked by the Wraith, the LeClercq curse.  Cecily soon learns that if your a LeClercq, you must sacrifice yourself or others close to you will die.
Wow. What an interesting, haunting story. I have had a hard time focusing lately but was engrossed by this story and refused to give up. Now I wanna research some things it talks about that I won't mention as it could lead to spoilers. Great book, slow but in a detailed interesting way, if that makes sense. A bit gory but not overly so. Enjoyed it. Will definitely read more by this author.
Wraith is a light horror, modern gothic ghost story. Initially I was very into this book. I loved the plot and the characters. I liked the family curse and said family's questionable past. This book had so much going for it but it just didn't follow through. In the end I had a lot of unanswered questions and was confused about certain aspects. I really wanted to love but it fell flat and left hanging.

Thank you to Netgalley for the opportunity.
Thank you Netgalley and Mark Wheaton for this advance reader copy in exchange for my honest review.

I have mixed feelings about this book. It was good. It had an excellent story line and I connected well with the protagonist, Cecily. She felt authentic and realistic. I loved the plotline of a centuries old curse, but I feel like this book left a lot unanswered. I'm still not fully certain what brought the wraith into existence. I'm also somewhat confused about the lawyer Eglantine and what her role was in any of it. I did enjoy the ending, but I was somewhat confused about why it ended the way it did. I also wanted more horror. This could have been a very scary book, but I needed more. There were some really creepy scenes with the wraith, but as a horror junkie, I wanted more scares.

Don't get me wrong, I did like the book. It was a great story with fantastic characters. I will be looking for more books from Mark Wheaton. I think he has a good future in horror novels. This was a strong 3.75 stars. I would definitely recommend it for readers who enjoy supernatural fiction.
Well, this one started off good and had my expectations high. However it was just way too long. I almost DNF and I rarely do that.
There were the creepy elements and the theme of disfunctional family secrets coming back around.  But the entire “wraith” thing was a bit much sometimes.
I didn’t dislike the book but I didn’t love it either. Im very on the fence. Maybe if it was about a 100 or so pages shorter I would have a higher rating of it.
Wraith is a fast-paced horror novel with plenty of scares, thrills, and twists. Cecile, the main character, discovers horrible things about her family’s past that drive her to greater and greater feats of heroism.
This book really gave me the chills, something I want from a solid horror movie. The monster was good, but Cecile’s underground explorations are what made me squirm. Wraith struck a good balance between frightening and intense to almost homey. The characters were all lovely and well drawn.
I highly recommend this book to those who enjoy a good scare, but who shy away from severe gore. It would be a great introduction to the genre.

Thanks to NetGalley for the ARC.
2.5*

*Thanks to Netgalley for providing me with the ebook*

I'm not sure how to feel about this book. I felt bored with most parts of the book and I found some of the things being repetitive: like the wraith would attack her. And I'm little confused about the curse especially about the way how it ended. Did the curse actually end? The pacing of the book felt awkward and clunky.

I really wish we had spent more time at the castle instead of running around the streets of Paris. I feel like we would've gotten more answers in the castle and I couldn't connect with Cecily; I just didn't liked her as a person and she seemed boring.
Thank you Netgalley and Mark Wheaton for the ARC of this book.

Wow this was such a spooky read. From the very first chapter it hooked me in with the creepiest vibes

It was a little on the longer side for me however I thought that the author did well in their storyline.

The ending was not my favourite but this is very much an enjoyable and spooky read!
Whoa! What a ride. It was very fast-paced. The writing style kept me hooked and I didn't find myself losing any interest. I enjoyed getting to know each of the characters and how real the story felt. The author did a great job painting the setting, so it was easy for me to visualize the scene played out before me.  I recommend giving this one a chance!