Cover Image: The Inkwell Chronicles: The Ink of Elspet, Book 1

The Inkwell Chronicles: The Ink of Elspet, Book 1

There should be much more hype out there for this novel! The Ink of Elspet is a debut novel and the first in a middle grade fantasy series that needs to get more publicity. It is a fantastic adventure perfect for readers who also enjoyed the Narnia, Artemis Fowl, Percy Jackson, and Keeper of the Lost Cities series.

The writing is fun and charming and the plot is just perfection. There is such amazing creativity to the story and the plot is fast-paced and heavily atmospheric. The characters in the story are so well-balanced and unique. Two siblings, an additional child, some quirky adults, some seriously devious bad guys, and a great helping of magic. There is a slight religious component to the novel (the author is a pastor, as is the father of the children who is the focus of the locus for the story), but this is not a heavy-handed thread and it is very well-handled throughout the read.

I loved nearly everything about this.It will definitely be a middle grade read that you will find me recommending profusely. I will also be anxiously awaiting the next book in the series as I am ready for another fantastic adventure.
Fun, well written, well paced, action packed, and reminded me of C.S. Lewis.  Did not talk down to age-appropriate readers and the story will keep them entertained and reading.
I received an advanced copy of this ebook from the publisher for an honest review. This book is well written and the characters are described well. This middle grade book is fast paced set in London, England. I adored Marcus, Everett and Bea's characters in this story. This book keeps your attention from the first page. It is a entertaining and thrilling middle grade fantasy book. This book is in stores for $16.99 (USD).
*3.5

What’s it about?
Set in the 1950s, when their father mysteriously disappears and is presumed dead, siblings Bea and Everett embark on a journey full of faith to find him. Thrown into a world of magic, evil flying villains, and found family, they must travel through the country to find their father and discover the special power of ink!

I thought this was a fun and cozy middle-grade read- I really loved the concept and the magic of the ink, however, I feel like there was so much magical potential to be explored and I feel like the majority of the plot/adventure was in the real world and I wanted more exploration in magic and their abilities. I do know that this is just the start of the series and hopefully, it will be more prevalent in the rest of the series. If you love a lot of characters, an adventure story, and a classic take on good vs evil, then I think you will really enjoy this.

Thank you to Worthy Publishing and Netgalley for giving me a copy in exchange for my honest review!
This was a fun book about ink coming to life, and put an interesting spin on events involving siblings that have to come to the aid of others to battle the evil inklings. There was a good deal of puns and enjoyable banter. Overall I think most kids would enjoy reading this novel.
This is a very enjoyable book, appropriate for all ages, with a nice twist on magic. Everett and his younger sister, Beatrice, live with their father Marcus, the vicar, in the vicarage next to the church. In his off time, Marcus writes and illustrates a comic book, Max Courageous, which his children love - but unknown to them, Marcus uses Ink in his work, a special, magical Ink that imbues his work with that extra something special. But of course, where there is good, there is bad, and blotters, magical beings that can sense Ink and want to destroy it come after Marcus for the Ink he uses in his comic - and so begins the adventure, as Everett and Beatrice run for safety, and then try to find their father. I look forward to the next volume.
What would you do if you found out you could hear ink? What if your father has gone missing and all he left you was.. a pen and a bottle of ink?? This is what happens to Everett and Bea! They are determined to go on a dangerous mission constantly dodging the Blotters in order to find their dad. In the process, they discover a whole new society and magic they never knew existed, and never knew they were a part of.

I have always loved books about written or drawn things coming to life. This one did not disappoint. I loved the added elements about the literary Inklings as it fit so well with the story. Since I am the librarian at a Christian school, this story was also perfect for my students.

I would recommend to any who love a good fantasy and written things having life!
The best books for kids allow young readers to see themselves in the story’s young heroes. And in The Inkwell Chronicles: The Ink of Elspet the first Inkwell Chronicles book by author J. D. Peabody, a couple of very different siblings find themselves on an unexpected quest to save the world’s magic.

Full review published on NightsAndWeekends.com and aired on Shelf Discovery
The Inkwell Chronicles is the first story in a new series by J.D. Peabody. We meet 11 year old Everett and his 8 year old sister Bea who live a seemingly normal life growing up with their vicar father but when he goes missing secrets are revealed. They are off on a rescue mission with a great cast of characters. This middle grade book is a great adventure and I really enjoyed how new this magic concept of Ink and I will be passing this on as a recommendation to many of my friends with middle grade readers.
This good versus evil story is about Marcus, a devoted father, vicar, and graphic novel author living in London, just after World War 2.  As he goes on a journey, he is injured in a terrible train wreck and his two children, Bea and Everett are left in the care of a heartless housekeeper.  They find help in the oddest way and as the story unfolds,, it turns out that their father has been using magical ink to write his stories, that the Ink bestows magic on people differently (and Everett is SURE he has no magic whatsoever) and that evil forces are trying to rid the world of Ink.  It's an exciting story and the ending leaves open the possibility that there were be more to follow.
It is always fun to find a new middle grade series. The Inkwell Chronicles book 1: The Ink of Elspet, we will follow the siblings Everett and Bea on their difficult mission to rescue their father. There is nothing new from characters arc but the worldbuilding and Magic Ink grab my interest. The adventures is thrilling and enjoyable.  The story is easy to understand and give some morality.
I think kids will like it, and adore the   beautiful cover.

Thanks Netgalley and Publisher  for the copy,  really appreciate.
Set in post-WWII England, Everett and Bea live in the vicarage with their Reverend father and stuffy housekeeper (sadly, their mother died in childbirth). From the very first chapter, J.D. Peabody captures the reader's interest by introducing a mysterious foe. When their father is declared dead, the children are lost in despair and drawn into the most exciting (and perilous) adventure of their young lives.

I loved the inclusion of members of the literary cohort "The Inklings" on a quest to save the last magical inkwell before the powers of darkness beat them to it! With hidden passages and underground tunnels, children will be on the edge of their seats cheering for the youngsters on a thrilling and daring adventure.  One that just may save the world!

Author, J. D. Peabody has crafted a highly imaginative tale with just the right amount of suspense that will engage children and adults alike. Hopefully the tale will also spark an interest in learning more about the characters that made up the original Inkling group in Englad. This would make a terrific family read aloud for ages 8 and up. I highly recommend this book and I look forward to reading more books by this author.

Disclaimer: I received a digital copy of The Inkwell Chronicles from NetGalley for the purpose of review. No other compensation was received and the opinions expressed are mine alone.
The Ink of Elspet starts off a fun new middle grade fantasy series. Everett and his sister Bea have a reverend father who writes comic books. Their father, Marcus, goes missing. The kids have a startling adventure as they seek to find him.
I love the meaning of Inklings in the book. And Everett and Bea meet Jack (C.S. Lewis), Dorothy Sayers (golden age mystery author) and Ronald (J. R. R. Tolkien), some of whom were called Inklings in the world outside books.
The idea of Ink is creative.
The blotters are scary. The courage that Everett, Bea, Marcus and the others show in standing up to them will be encouraging to kids and grownups who are facing their own demons.
I encourage you to give the Inkwell Chronicles a try.
Rev. Markus Drake is the creator of Max Courageous comic books.  He leaves his children (Everett, 11 and Bea, 8) with his housekeeper to go to Scotland on secret business.  The children don’t want to be left with the housekeeper, Mrs. Crimp.  She isn’t nice to them.  When the train Rev. Markus Drake mysteriously crashes, a nurse  helps the father after the accident.  The housekeeper and children receive information that he died.  The children can’t believe it and the housekeeper is worried about herself.  After the funeral, the nurse gives Everett the father’s briefcase as requested.  Everett hides it til later to examine it .  Finding an inkwell and a fountain pen which has healing powers causing the children to hope their father survived.  An adventure  happens including magical ink which is used by inklings for a long time for creativity.  Inklings are involved with keeping this ink from being destroyed by blotters or their dye hounds.  Bea and Everett rescue Trey an injured boy who has lost most of his memories. Are Bea, Everett and Trey inklings?  With Rev. Markus Drake be found.  Will the last inkwell survive?

This novel has a very imaginative world-building.  It is action packed.  The story is excellently written.  I love the imagination of the magic of the special ink and the children United to find Rev. Drake.  It is a compelling story to read.  I can’t wait for the next book!
This book is a welcome addition to middle-grade fiction! Kids and adults will enjoy it; much like the _Toy Story_ movie series, adults will enjoy the more (or less :D) obscure references that kids might not readily pick up on at first glance.

Of course, one can never go wrong with a Britain setting--especially when it involves Oxford, the Bird & Baby, and the Inklings. Peabody very cleverly expanded on my initial concept of the Inklings, and I loved seeing his take on Lewis, Tolkien, and Sayers. What I wouldn't give to have a run-in with them as a kid! (Or as an adult, for that matter. I still fangirl over enough of their works!)

I particularly enjoyed that Marcus was a vicar, as well as the inclusion of his (and the kids') faith, several instances of praying, and the overall examination of living faith out "at street level," as Paul David Tripp would say. It was present without being too subtle or too over-the-top--a good balance.

Can't wait to see where Peabody takes the series in subsequent books; this one tied up the most important loose ends, while still leaving enough open for more exploration.

I received an eARC of the book from the publisher via NetGalley. All opinions are my own.
‘”Because you are a remarkable boy, Everett. You’re interested in the world. And it’s far more meaningful to be interested than to try to be interesting.”’

A new middle-grade adventure series that revolves around writing and creativity? Sign me up immediately please! Somewhat reminiscent of Inkheart, The Inkwell chronicles’ first book is a wonderful adventure story full of magic, fantastical creatures and imagination. It is the story of two siblings, Bea and Everett, who are left a magical pen, when there father is assumed dead. They soon find out that they are being hunted by evil ‘blotters’, and start to wonder what their mild-mannered father, a vicar, was involved in. Join the two on their quest to find out what happened to their dad.

Much like any first book in a series, there was a bit of bogginess in needing to explain the magic system in the world J.D. Peabody is trying to create. Overall, there is a good balance of plot and explaining though. Similarly, there is a good balance of drama, adventure and life lessons, in this case a clear ‘believe in yourself and your own strengths’.  I am happy I picked this one up and can’t quite wait to see whether there may be more adventures in the Inkwell universe.
There was much to enjoy in this book for all of the grandchildren. The older boys were very impressed by the fathers occupation and the general adventure of the book especially. We all enjoyed the world building and the idea of magic ink worked really well and appealed to us all. We will look forward to the next in the series.
This book follows the story of two siblings as they discover an interesting secret about their father. This leads him to become endangered, kidnapped and in need of rescue. They must work together with newly-found friends to triumph over the villains and fantastic creatures. I would recommend this book to fans of the Harry Potter series, but also to anyone who enjoys reading about creative ideas and finding your worth.
Everett and Bea have gotten used to their minister father's long absences while working on his comic books, but they HATE being left with their grumpy caretaker, the previous minister's wife. After a train accident where their father goes missing (presumably dead), Bea and Everett discover that he is actually a member of a secret and ancient society who are sworn to protect the Ink, which has magical properties. They are whisked away on a journey to find their father, with the help of other people and creatures in the society. While they search, the sinister Blotters (who are attempting to destroy all the Ink in the world) pursue them. Can Everett and Bea find their father so he can set things right, or will the Blotters win and stop all creativity and growth in the world?

This book was fun to read and kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time. A lot of world building was necessary, and at times the plot was bogged down by having to explain things. I would definitely say this is a middle grade book, maybe even upper elementary. If you're a fan of fantasy, especially Inkheart, this has a similar feel and you'll love it.

I received this ARC courtesy of Netgalley, in return for my honest and unbiased review.
The Ink of Elspet is the first in a series, The Inkwell Chronicles. It is an exciting early middle grade book, perfect for kids who love adventures and magic.

Everett and Bea live with their father Marcus and a grumpy housekeeper, Mrs. Crimp. Marcus is a vicar and writes the Max Courageous comic books. What makes his comics so vivid and wonderful? He uses Ink, which is a special type of ink that is magic. Ink taps into the Reverend's imagination and creates something wonderful.

But the Ink supply is in danger, because the Blotters are trying to eradicate all Ink in the world. To them, it is the stinkiest, most horrible thing. They use Pounce to dry up any Inkwells they find. Fighting against the blotters are Inklings, authors and artists like Marcus, who use the magic of the Ink to create art, find more Inkwells, and Inkase the blotters.

After Marcus disappears after a train crash caused by a Blotter, Everett and Bea go with the Conductor, Osgood, Dot (Dorothy Sayers), Ronald (J.R.R. Tolkien) and Jack (C.S. Lewis) to find their father and save the last Inkwell, the Ink of Elspet. They fight nightmarish creatures, travel across Great Britain, and find out more about their own Ink-given abilities.

While there are scary elements to this book, the book is appropriate for younger middle-grade readers. Peabody has created a very interesting fantasy world that will make kids want to have their own supply of Ink! I am looking forward to the next book in this series.

Thanks to Netgalley for an advance copy of this book!