Cover Image: The New House

The New House

My goodness this book sent me on a crazy roller coaster! The subject matter is so fascinating and I just wanted to learn more and more! I would love to sit down with some of these fictional characters. Lol. Every book I read by Tess Stimson is better than the one before. This one was so different that I kept having to remind myself it was her writing it! (In the best possible way of course!) I love the multiple alternating POV. Some in first person. Some in third. And the twists and shockers totally threw me! I didn’t want this book to end!
I really enjoy author Tess Stimson's novels. This one did not disappoint and I devoured it within a couple of sittings.

The blurb reads

"Stacey and Felix are the glamorous owners of the stylish, modern Glass House, with its pool and floor-to-ceiling windows. Now they’re downsizing, but Stacey can’t sell to just anyone. She needs the right buyer, who will keep her secrets.

Millie and Tom have always imagined living in the Glass House. Now it’s for sale. With property prices booming, if they can sell quickly, it could be theirs. But are the house and its charming owners all they seem?

Harper and Kyle are moving up in the world. They need a new house, in the right school district, to give their children the start in life they never had. Millie and Tom’s is perfect. It’ll take every penny they have, and more, but it’ll be worth it. Won’t it?

When one of the sales falls through, how far will someone go to get everything they’ve always wanted?"

The blurb sounded very interesting with an undercurrent of mystery and I could not wait to get reading.

We meet some wonderful characters, three couples to be exact, all very different and at different stages in their lives.

Their lives become entangled in the house chain, but not everything is as straightforward as it should be. The story weaves a very thrilling story and I loved the characters in this novel.

Thanks to Netgalley, Tess Stimson and the publishers for allowing me an arc in exchange for my honest review.
Wow! What an amazing book!!
Would love to read more from the author.
Thankyou netgalley for the Arc!
This is a bombshell of a book. Three couples are connected through a house-buying chain. Millie & Tom want to buy the Glass House owned by Stacey & Felix. Harper & Kyle want to buy Millie & Tom's house. The retail dance that ensues gets REALLY escalates. Quickly! The narrative includes the perspective of Millie, Tom, and Stacey in alternating chapters. Inserted in between are a podcast transcript called "Inside the mind of a psychopath" and a vlog hosted by Harper (and Kyle, sort of).
The twists keep coming as a battle of the minds and muscles ensued. You will be surprised to find out who emerges as top dog. I was impressed with the creativity and unusual plot elements in Stolen and this book is a worthy successor. I do think I will be working my way back through some of this author's earlier works. Perfect for fans of Lisa Jewell, Samantha Downing, and Alice Feeney.

Thank you to Avon and NetGalley for a DRC in exchange for an honest review.
Who knows what can go right or wrong in looking to buying a house. Started off catching my attention right off. Keep reading it get better and twisty.

Thanks to the author, the publisher, and NetGalley for an early release of this book
WOW!!   Who knew house hunting could turn so ugly?!?!?!  Three couples come together thru the process of buying and selling their homes and that will be their deadliest mistake.  With characters you'll love to hate, this exceptionally well written, seemingly straightforward storyline, has the most exciting twists and turns!  This was simply excellent!!
How far would you go to get the house you dream of? Millie is a bit different than most people. She enjoys breaking into houses and have a look around. She does not mean harm, she just loves to do it and take a little something as a souvenir. When she sees that the house of her dreams, the Glass House, is up for sale, she wants to with all her heart. She meets the owner and in the process she puts her own house on the market. Turns out, her house is the dream house of somebody else. These three families get entangled into each other’s life. Who would have thought that buying a house would lead into murder.

This was so much fun. I enjoy immensely books who give me a look into the mind of a psychopath. It is so fascinating. Here I get a lot of that and I liked it. You should just dive into that book without knowing too much about the story. I was hooked from the first page and I highly recommend it.
A dark tale of 3 couples who come together in a house buying ‘chain’ but we know from very early on in the book that a murder takes place in one of the homes. The book then twists and turns as this story unfolds and it definitely kept me hooked. We’re made aware that at least one of the characters is a ‘psychopath’ and there’s a clear feeling of tension and impending doom throughout this book.
None of the characters are particularly likeable, but I’m sure that was intentional. Instead, they’re interesting in a dark and mysterious way. A really good book!
I struggled with this book initially.  Three couples of not particularly nice people engaged in a chain of buying and selling properties from each other I couldn’t see where the story could go that would be able to keep me reading.  I was so wrong!  When one of the parties decide not to sell and the conveyance chain collapses all hell breaks loose and the story takes a very dark and sinister turn.  The shocks and twists keep coming right up to the last page and there were so many sections that had me saying out loud, “oh my god”!  I’m so pleased that I persevered with this book as it was a great read and incredibly well written.
The blurb really caught my attention, but it didn't quite meet my expectations. The book starts off quite well, but the pacing was way too slow for the genre, and some parts were  bit confusing.
Excellent characters, the kind you love and love to hate!  Fast moving plot with loads of moving parts.  A enjoyable read!  Thank you for the opportunity to read for a fair review.
I’d like to thank Avon Books UK and NetGalley for giving me the opportunity to read ‘The New House’ by Tess Stimson in exchange for my honest and unbiased review.

Millie and Tom have a list of houses they’d buy if they ever became available and when they saw that the Glass House owned by Stacey and Felix is for sale they know they’ve got to have it.  Millie and Tom’s own house has been swept up by Harper and Kyle who need a larger home in the right area to give their children a good start in life.  The three women get to know each other but problems arise as one of the sales falls through, and one of them will go to any lengths to ensure they get what they want.

When I started reading ‘The New House’ I was intrigued to read about Millie’s little habit of wandering around other peoples’ homes and taking a small item they won’t miss, but when I became aware of her occupation I was flabbergasted as it seemed so implausible, and the story became so far-fetched that the characters stopped being real and it all started to go downhill.  Having enjoyed ‘One In Three’ and ‘Stolen’ I expected to enjoy this latest thriller just as much, and it is well-written with an involving plot and some parts in particular are very good, but despite the shocking events and twists and turns I struggled with it and was glad when I got to the end.  From the reviews I’m in the minority so please read it and make up your own minds as this is just my opinion.
Three couples. About to purchase their dream home. How far would you go to get the perfect life?

The premise doesn't really tell us much about the book. It's far from just being about three couples buying and selling houses. It's a bit far fetched, but that did not stop me from being hooked from the first page. I did not really connect with any of the characters even though they were well developed, believable, and quite unique. Everyone seems to have a secret, There's so many twists my head was spinning trying to keep up. The plotline has been cleverly crafted. Once you pick this fast paced read up, you won't want to put it back down again. The way this book ended was completely unexpected.

I would like to thank #NetGalley #AvonBooksUK and the author #TessStimpson for my ARC of #TheNewHouse in exchange for an honest review.
@currentlyreading__
Book 53 of 2022

This is my first @tessstimson book and after reading the synopsis, I thought it was right up my literary street. Domestic drama crossed with our obsession with Instagram-perfect homes and there we have 'The New House'. From its cover, we see the perfect modern house, glass everywhere and a sandstone wall and it seemed to reflect my own 1930s modern rebuild (minus the pool of course!). We have three couples and a dark twisty plot. Morning TV host Stacey and Felix live in the Glass House, much-admired by Millie and Tom. Where some couples have that hall-pass-it's-fine-to-go-for-it with someone lusted over, Millie has the hall-pass-house and if the Glass House ever goes up for sale, they must put in an offer. Millie is a world-renowned cardio-thoracic surgeon but she doesn't mind playing dirty for this house. Then we have Harper and Kyle, social-media vloggers much to Kyle's seeming reluctance. The portmanteau of Kyper Nation is given to the hordes of followers who hang on their every word and when Harper offers above asking price for Millie and Tom's house, the chain of events commences. We have short chapters interspersed with SET talk on the subject of psychopathy (almost like a TED talk) with an unknown narrator speaking to an audience desperate to know what being a psychopath is really like.

The book is dark and definitely one to keep you guessing. All characters are unlikeable and I loved @tessstimson's curve-balls and twists to keep me turning those pages. I'm glad to have found a new author and one with quite the back catalogue for me to catch up on.

Many thanks to @NetGalley, @tessstimson and @avonbooksuk for my e-ARC ahead of publication on 4th July in exchange for my honest opinion.

#bookstagram #bibliophile #bookworm #book #booknerd #bookstagrammer #kindle #instabook  #reader #bookobsessed #instareads #currentlyreading #bookchat #bookish #netgalley #thenewhouse #tessstimson
Who knew house purchase could be so complicated or dangerous?  Three couples involved in the sale of two properties. In a normal world their contact would be minimal, but in The New House, that doesn't happen.  During the selling/purchasing process they become involved in each others' lives with devastating consequences.
What follows is a dark story with many twists and turns to keep the reader on the edge of their seat.
Excellent plot with an authentic feel to the characters - I thought surgeon Millie Downton's character was particularly well written -  I found it difficult to put down. Absolutely loved it.

I would like to thank Tess Stimson, Avon and NetGalley for an ARC of The New House in exchange for an honest review.
Amazing! Dark, feisty with an unstoppable momentum. I was totally carried along with the characters, trying to decide who was responsible for what. Millie -the cardiac surgeon,  Harper- the blogger, Stacey- the Tv presenter, Peter- Millie’s son, or other members of their families. Definitely one to read!
Those who live in glass houses shouldn't keep secrets...

Stacey and Felix live in the much-coveted Glass House, an architectural masterpiece in London. When they decide to sell and find a smaller home, Stacey is very cautious about who will buy her home. Will the buyer keep her secrets? Millie and Tom have always vowed to buy the Glass House if it ever went up for sale, and now their dream is within reach. Harper and Kyle want to move to a different school district, to give their children the best chance of having everything they never did. When Millie and Tom list their house, Harper knows it's the perfect house- their forever home. Everything seems like a go, until one of the homeowners pulls out of a sale. Lines are crossed, words are exchanged, and someone will go to great lengths to get what they want...
I read this book in two sittings, and that is only because I had to force myself to stop reading and go to bed in the wee hours of the morning. This book hooked me from the beginning and didn't release me from its grip until the very end. The New House is one of my favourite reads so far this year. The characters were well-written and I loved learning everything about them. I loved the twisted storyline and all of the characters' dark secrets. I would absolutely recommend this to anyone looking for a twisted psychological thriller!
Sensational story!  I could not get enough of this, so I read it in one day!  What starts out as a three-chain house buying scheme turns into something completely different.  There is a person narrating to us in some chapters - you will think you know who it is but there is a big surprise!  Well researched and presented.

Many thanks to NetGalley and Avon for this ARC!
💙 𝔹𝕠𝕠𝕜 ℝ𝕖𝕧𝕚𝕖𝕨 💙

The New House
Tess Stimson
Release Date: 8/4/22
Rating: ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️/5

OMG 😱 Y’all, I was seriously unprepared for the severe book hangover I have after finishing this one!

🅢🅨🅝🅞🅟🅢🅘🅢
Three couples, three houses, one home to die for.  Millie and Tom have had their eyes on the Glass House for as long as they can remember. Stacey and Felix are selling the Glass House to finally downsize. Harper and Kyle find Millie’s house to be their dream home. Everything is moving along nicely until one of the sales falls through and puts all their lives in temporary limbo. What lengths will one of them go to to ensure they get what they want?

🅣🅗🅞🅤🅖🅗🅣🅢
This book is so much darker than it seems! Everyone has secrets, everyone tells lies, everyone wants something they can’t quite have. It was hard for me to put this one down. It was twisty and thrilling from the very first page and the surprises just kept coming! Even though you think you’ve got a good feel of each character by the time it’s over, you will still be gobsmacked by the shocking ending!

This is definitely one you don’t want to miss out on on pub day!
While the main thread of this story is about buying a home and all the disasters that can and do happen, this is really about the three families involved in those disasters and how they all crossed paths.
   We meet and learn about psychopaths: is this an inherited trait? Can that behavior be controlled? "See something-say something"—not if it's your kid!
   The vicious world of TV: the constant worry of the younger face, always looking over your shoulder.
   The Wild Web: sloggers and bloggers and their incessant search for a wider audience which translates to more sponsors and more money.
   Mix this crowd together and it’s a cacophony of treachery, deceit, physical torture and murder that the members of these families display that will have you glued to your book.  Exciting till the last sentence!