Cover Image: The New House

The New House

Thanks to netgalley and Avon Books for providing this ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Millie wants to buy a glass house that is for sale and owned by tv presenter Stacy. Harper wants to buy Millie's house. Things so way off the rails when circumstances cause Stacy to not be able to sell.

I liked this book well enough. It mostly held my interest. I thought some things were quite farfetched but overall it mostly worked. I will read more from this author.
Millie and Tom Downton are the parents of Medusa, 13, and Peter, 10.  Millie and Tom grew up next door to one another.  Millie is a heart surgeon whose parents were bad people.  Her father was a narcissist and her mother was a punching bag.  Tom’s parents were good people who helped to protect Millie when she was growing up.  Her parents' problems led her to be wild at times.

Millie and Tom have a nice home, but Millie has her eye on a home called The Glass House and wants to buy it.  When she sees it’s for sale, she befriends the owner, Stacey, who is a TV presenter.  Now that their own home is for sale, bloggers, Kyle and Harper, want to buy Millie and Tom’s place.

Millie is concerned when she sees bruises on Stacey’s arms and wonders if her husband, Felix, is abusing her.  As these three couples get to know one another more, twists get thrown into the mix that turn into a nightmare.

It is hard to write a synopsis on this book in that doing so would release a lot of spoilers.  The way it is written grabs the reader to know more about this unknown psychopath leading the story.  It’s compelling yet gruesome and dark at times but shows how a mother’s love can be so true.

Copy provided by NetGalley in exchange for a fair and honest review.
I was lucky to receive an advance copy of The New House by Tess Stimson from NetGalley and the publisher in exchange for my honest review and opinion.  OMG this book will keep you on the edge of your seat guessing what the next twist/turn will be.  I started this right before I went to bed and unfortunately was unable to put it down and got very little sleep! :)  Buckle up - it's a wild ride!  Do yourself a favor and go read this ASAP!
“You think you’ve found your dream home…Think again…”

The New House is an intriguing and fascinating tale both in plot and it’s characters. This is quite a hard book to review as I don’t want to give any spoilers away, but I will say there is way more to this book than what the blurb provides. So much more indeed *rubs hands with glee!*

Thrilling, chilling and so very twisted, this is one deviously clever and wicked tale that I really enjoyed and highly recommend you checking out.

Thank you to Tess Stimson, Avon Books and NetGalley for allowing me to read an advance copy of The New House, which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily.
A story about three couple who want to buy or sell a house.

One of them is a psychopath. The psychopath tells their story via a podcast.

The rest of the story is told by the couples in alternating points of view.

We know early on that someone dies in one of the houses. But we don't know who or why or whodunit.

The blog portion is very interesting but also rather creepy.

Each one of the families have secrets.

Each family wants what they want. Badly

Not a relaxing read but OMG it's intriguing and I couldn't stop reading.

I love this authors work!

Thanks to netgalley and Avon Books UK
This story follows a house chain. Three women and one killer who is a psychopath. The reader is kept guessing throughout. A gripping read. Thanks to Netgaley and the publisher for letting me review this book.
My goodness this book sent me on a crazy roller coaster! The subject matter is so fascinating and I just wanted to learn more and more! I would love to sit down with some of these fictional characters. Lol. Every book I read by Tess Stimson is better than the one before. This one was so different that I kept having to remind myself it was her writing it! (In the best possible way of course!) I love the multiple alternating POV. Some in first person. Some in third. And the twists and shockers totally threw me! I didn’t want this book to end!
I really enjoy author Tess Stimson's novels. This one did not disappoint and I devoured it within a couple of sittings.

The blurb reads

"Stacey and Felix are the glamorous owners of the stylish, modern Glass House, with its pool and floor-to-ceiling windows. Now they’re downsizing, but Stacey can’t sell to just anyone. She needs the right buyer, who will keep her secrets.

Millie and Tom have always imagined living in the Glass House. Now it’s for sale. With property prices booming, if they can sell quickly, it could be theirs. But are the house and its charming owners all they seem?

Harper and Kyle are moving up in the world. They need a new house, in the right school district, to give their children the start in life they never had. Millie and Tom’s is perfect. It’ll take every penny they have, and more, but it’ll be worth it. Won’t it?

When one of the sales falls through, how far will someone go to get everything they’ve always wanted?"

The blurb sounded very interesting with an undercurrent of mystery and I could not wait to get reading.

We meet some wonderful characters, three couples to be exact, all very different and at different stages in their lives.

Their lives become entangled in the house chain, but not everything is as straightforward as it should be. The story weaves a very thrilling story and I loved the characters in this novel.

Thanks to Netgalley, Tess Stimson and the publishers for allowing me an arc in exchange for my honest review.
Wow! What an amazing book!!
Would love to read more from the author.
Thankyou netgalley for the Arc!
This is a bombshell of a book. Three couples are connected through a house-buying chain. Millie & Tom want to buy the Glass House owned by Stacey & Felix. Harper & Kyle want to buy Millie & Tom's house. The retail dance that ensues gets REALLY escalates. Quickly! The narrative includes the perspective of Millie, Tom, and Stacey in alternating chapters. Inserted in between are a podcast transcript called "Inside the mind of a psychopath" and a vlog hosted by Harper (and Kyle, sort of).
The twists keep coming as a battle of the minds and muscles ensued. You will be surprised to find out who emerges as top dog. I was impressed with the creativity and unusual plot elements in Stolen and this book is a worthy successor. I do think I will be working my way back through some of this author's earlier works. Perfect for fans of Lisa Jewell, Samantha Downing, and Alice Feeney.

Thank you to Avon and NetGalley for a DRC in exchange for an honest review.
Who knows what can go right or wrong in looking to buying a house. Started off catching my attention right off. Keep reading it get better and twisty.

Thanks to the author, the publisher, and NetGalley for an early release of this book
WOW!!   Who knew house hunting could turn so ugly?!?!?!  Three couples come together thru the process of buying and selling their homes and that will be their deadliest mistake.  With characters you'll love to hate, this exceptionally well written, seemingly straightforward storyline, has the most exciting twists and turns!  This was simply excellent!!
How far would you go to get the house you dream of? Millie is a bit different than most people. She enjoys breaking into houses and have a look around. She does not mean harm, she just loves to do it and take a little something as a souvenir. When she sees that the house of her dreams, the Glass House, is up for sale, she wants to with all her heart. She meets the owner and in the process she puts her own house on the market. Turns out, her house is the dream house of somebody else. These three families get entangled into each other’s life. Who would have thought that buying a house would lead into murder.

This was so much fun. I enjoy immensely books who give me a look into the mind of a psychopath. It is so fascinating. Here I get a lot of that and I liked it. You should just dive into that book without knowing too much about the story. I was hooked from the first page and I highly recommend it.
A dark tale of 3 couples who come together in a house buying ‘chain’ but we know from very early on in the book that a murder takes place in one of the homes. The book then twists and turns as this story unfolds and it definitely kept me hooked. We’re made aware that at least one of the characters is a ‘psychopath’ and there’s a clear feeling of tension and impending doom throughout this book.
None of the characters are particularly likeable, but I’m sure that was intentional. Instead, they’re interesting in a dark and mysterious way. A really good book!
I struggled with this book initially.  Three couples of not particularly nice people engaged in a chain of buying and selling properties from each other I couldn’t see where the story could go that would be able to keep me reading.  I was so wrong!  When one of the parties decide not to sell and the conveyance chain collapses all hell breaks loose and the story takes a very dark and sinister turn.  The shocks and twists keep coming right up to the last page and there were so many sections that had me saying out loud, “oh my god”!  I’m so pleased that I persevered with this book as it was a great read and incredibly well written.
The blurb really caught my attention, but it didn't quite meet my expectations. The book starts off quite well, but the pacing was way too slow for the genre, and some parts were  bit confusing.
Excellent characters, the kind you love and love to hate!  Fast moving plot with loads of moving parts.  A enjoyable read!  Thank you for the opportunity to read for a fair review.
I’d like to thank Avon Books UK and NetGalley for giving me the opportunity to read ‘The New House’ by Tess Stimson in exchange for my honest and unbiased review.

Millie and Tom have a list of houses they’d buy if they ever became available and when they saw that the Glass House owned by Stacey and Felix is for sale they know they’ve got to have it.  Millie and Tom’s own house has been swept up by Harper and Kyle who need a larger home in the right area to give their children a good start in life.  The three women get to know each other but problems arise as one of the sales falls through, and one of them will go to any lengths to ensure they get what they want.

When I started reading ‘The New House’ I was intrigued to read about Millie’s little habit of wandering around other peoples’ homes and taking a small item they won’t miss, but when I became aware of her occupation I was flabbergasted as it seemed so implausible, and the story became so far-fetched that the characters stopped being real and it all started to go downhill.  Having enjoyed ‘One In Three’ and ‘Stolen’ I expected to enjoy this latest thriller just as much, and it is well-written with an involving plot and some parts in particular are very good, but despite the shocking events and twists and turns I struggled with it and was glad when I got to the end.  From the reviews I’m in the minority so please read it and make up your own minds as this is just my opinion.
Three couples. About to purchase their dream home. How far would you go to get the perfect life?

The premise doesn't really tell us much about the book. It's far from just being about three couples buying and selling houses. It's a bit far fetched, but that did not stop me from being hooked from the first page. I did not really connect with any of the characters even though they were well developed, believable, and quite unique. Everyone seems to have a secret, There's so many twists my head was spinning trying to keep up. The plotline has been cleverly crafted. Once you pick this fast paced read up, you won't want to put it back down again. The way this book ended was completely unexpected.

I would like to thank #NetGalley #AvonBooksUK and the author #TessStimpson for my ARC of #TheNewHouse in exchange for an honest review.
@currentlyreading__
Book 53 of 2022

This is my first @tessstimson book and after reading the synopsis, I thought it was right up my literary street. Domestic drama crossed with our obsession with Instagram-perfect homes and there we have 'The New House'. From its cover, we see the perfect modern house, glass everywhere and a sandstone wall and it seemed to reflect my own 1930s modern rebuild (minus the pool of course!). We have three couples and a dark twisty plot. Morning TV host Stacey and Felix live in the Glass House, much-admired by Millie and Tom. Where some couples have that hall-pass-it's-fine-to-go-for-it with someone lusted over, Millie has the hall-pass-house and if the Glass House ever goes up for sale, they must put in an offer. Millie is a world-renowned cardio-thoracic surgeon but she doesn't mind playing dirty for this house. Then we have Harper and Kyle, social-media vloggers much to Kyle's seeming reluctance. The portmanteau of Kyper Nation is given to the hordes of followers who hang on their every word and when Harper offers above asking price for Millie and Tom's house, the chain of events commences. We have short chapters interspersed with SET talk on the subject of psychopathy (almost like a TED talk) with an unknown narrator speaking to an audience desperate to know what being a psychopath is really like.

The book is dark and definitely one to keep you guessing. All characters are unlikeable and I loved @tessstimson's curve-balls and twists to keep me turning those pages. I'm glad to have found a new author and one with quite the back catalogue for me to catch up on.

Many thanks to @NetGalley, @tessstimson and @avonbooksuk for my e-ARC ahead of publication on 4th July in exchange for my honest opinion.

#bookstagram #bibliophile #bookworm #book #booknerd #bookstagrammer #kindle #instabook  #reader #bookobsessed #instareads #currentlyreading #bookchat #bookish #netgalley #thenewhouse #tessstimson