Cover Image: The New House

The New House

I think I read a different book!

I'm in the minority, but this one didn't work for me for many, many reasons!

My second by the author, I do have Stolen, but haven't read it yet.

The beginning and the setup did intrigue me and I was enjoying Millie and her little addiction of breaking into people's houses! She really doesn't "do anything" though, just snoops around a bit. It rejuvenates her and she goes about it with a spring in her step.

Then, things took a slow dive (for me)!

I didn't buy into Millie's character, her actions didn't make sense much of the time. The three couples in the house buying/selling plot were also hard to imagine doing the things they did. The plot went pretty dark, they all had property crushes, very dysfunctional homes, some suffered from domestic abuse and their own dark angels.

You know the perfect storm is brewing, but for me it was more like a horror show with some cuckoos in their nests.

I'm clearly an outlier, read the raving five star reviews for other opinions.
*4.5 stars*

If you’ve ever been through the process of buying a house, you’ll appreciate what a stressful experience it is - so many things can go wrong to deprive you of the house that you’ve set your heart on - most of those things outside of your control. However, ‘The New House’ takes the house buying process to a whole new crazy and scary level!

Three couples, all of them eager to buy each other’s houses. An unnamed narrator relates the whole sordid story to us, along with the POV of the characters involved in the housing chain. They’re all desperate to secure the house of their dreams, but throw a psychopath into the mix and you end up with a mind blowing, dark, disturbing and twisty thriller that is difficult to put down, and difficult to forget! A terrific read.
In this book we meet three couples.

There is Stacey who is married to Felix. Who own the glass House who want to downsize. However they can't buy to just anyone and are desperate to find the right buyer for their gorgeous house and who will be able to keep the secrets that it holds.

Then there is Millie and Tom who have always desperately wanted to live in the glass House and cannot believe their luck when it goes up for sale. But is the house and its owners all it seems?

We also have harper and Kyle who want to find the perfect house, in the right school district for when their children start school. And they want to buy Millie and Toms house.

Everything seems to be going swimmingly buy then the sale of one of the houses falls through which has a toppling effect for everyone else and the end question is how far would you go to get everything you have always wanted.

It's always really stressful to move house but this takes it to a new level. This is a well written physiological thriller with many twist and turns along the way.
Name of Book: The New House
Author:  Tess Stimson
Publisher: Avon Books UK
Genre: Mystery Thriller
Pub Date: August 4, 2022
My Rating:  3 Stars!

Story features three couples who are trying to buy each other’s house ~ thus their dream home.

Millie & Tom ~Millie a heart surgeon and Tom  a computer geek have been married for nineteen years and have known each other all their lives ~ (yep the boy/girl next door) they have two children ~a  daughter, Medusa (Meddie), age thirteen  and Peter age ten.
They have had their eye on “The Glass House’ and are delighted it is for sale.

Stacey and Felix own the “Glass House’ and want to downsize.

Third couple: ~ Kyle and Harper aka “Kyper, media influencers. This couple is interested in Tom and Millie’s house.

These couples meet over the sale of their homes and get soon get involved in each other's lives.

This dark and disturbing story was not enjoyable but kept me curious.
The ending is indeed a WOW!

Want to thank NetGalley and Avon Books UK for this early uncorrected eGalley.
 Publishing Release Date scheduled for August 4, 2022
Wow, if you like dark and twisty this is the book for you.  My head is still spinning after reading this one.  The story revolves around three couples who have their hearts set on buying different homes.  Tom and Millie love the glass house that belongs to Stacey and Felix that just went on the market while Harper and Kyle want to buy Tom and Millie's current home.  After making offers and starting the wheels in motion, Stacey and Felix back out of selling the glass home to Millie and Tom.  Millie and Tom have to tell Harper and Kyle that they have to back out of selling their home to them. Nobody takes these failed deals very well which sets off a lot of strange turns of events. This is an unputdownable book that I read in record time because it held me hostage from the first page!

Thank you NetGalley and Avon Books for the ARC of this fantastic book that is a real page turner.
This is a story about 3 couples, one wanting to sell a house and the others looking to buy a house,. Stacy and Felix own a very stylish glass house which they wish to sell as they want a smaller house now. Millie and tom have always dreamed about living their and go after it. Harper and Tyler are interested in Tom and Millies house. When one of the house sales falls through one of them will do just about anything to get it. One of them becomes very stalkish and obsessed with one of the owners.
I loved this book from beginning to end.
I love books that combine thrillers with modern architecture.  This book combined sinister elements in a perfect setting.  You will absolutely enjoy the plot as well.
Wow this was a twisty story with lots of surprises.  Loved it.
Three couples are in the process of selling/buying houses.  Like dominos, each sale/purchase is related to the others.  As the story unfolds, the characters become more developed, and what is exposed is nothing short of amazing.  A great psychological thriller that will keep you reading and guessing until the end.
I received an advance copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.
Dark, twisty, and utterly unputdownable!  Three couples are caught up in a home-buying chain with disastrous and deadly consequences.  This blurb doesn’t do justice to this brilliant novel, but it’s hard to say too much without giving anything away.

This story isn’t really about real estate.  These aren’t your typical buyers and sellers, because at least one is a psychopath.  This is a tale of greed, obsession, manipulation, and mental illness.  The deep dive into psychopathy is fascinating.  The structure of the novel is perfect, with multiple points of view, SET talks, vlog posts, and short chapters driving the reader toward the shocking conclusion.  This is a true psychological thriller in every sense of the term.  I was riveted from start to finish!

Many thanks to NetGalley and Avon Books UK for providing me an advance copy of this book.
Three house, three couples, all with strong women all in a housing chain – one of which is ‘The Glass House’ which is a house to die for – what could go wrong!

Millie, the best cardiovascular surgeon at the top of her game.
Stacey, a well known and loved morning tv show host.
Harper, a vlogger with a decent amount of followers.
Three very different women but all with one in common, they all want the others house!

Millie had already fallen in love with The Glass House so as soon as Stacey puts it up for sale she is determined to make the house her new home. But to be able to afford it she needs to sell her house, and fast.
As soon as Harper sees Millie’s house she is determined that she will have that house, no matter what.
What should have been an easy sell for all involved has become anything but straight forward.
These three women, who would have never met had it not been for The Glass House, are pulled together with some proper plot twists along the way and with an ending you will never see coming!
It is fast paced and keeps you reading for far longer than you planned as time flys by.
Really great characterisation of the cast so you can’t help but to feel invested in their lives, even the ones you don’t like!

Well worthy of all the 5 star reviews this book has already received as well as the hundreds that will soon follow.

This would be the perfect book for your holiday!

The New House will be published on 4 Aug 2022 and is available to pre-order now

Amazon.co.uk

A massive thank you to the author Tess Stimson, publishers Avon Books UK and NetGalley for my darc in exchange for my honest and independent review.
This was an exciting and pacy ‘edge of your seat’ read. Three couples are involved in a house move, with one couple selling their beautiful glass house, another couple determined to buy it and a third couple desperate for the second couple’s house. It’s a tense and clever exploration of greed, desire and what it means to be a psychopath.  The novel is dark in places and one of the main characters had a very grim childhood. It’s a twisty read, full of surprises.
A gripping read and far more than your usual quota of psychopaths in one place.
I liked the general idea of dream houses and the stresses and strains of trying to move into your ideal home and the lengths people might go to in order to do this, as the three couples in this story do. I also thoroughly enjoy the exploration of psychopathic and sociopathic behaviours from an early age and the questions of nature vs nurture. There were also interesting questions raised about whether all psychopaths are inherently as comic book bad as we’re lead to believe by media and whether they can channel their characteristics into less bad or even good.
A very thought provoking, thrilling and compelling book.
Puts you off buying a house.  Every character had depth and was so noir in places I had to stop reading to draw breath. It was excellent and a read that I have recommended to friends over and over.
4.5 stars. There is so much going on with this book including psycopathy and domestic abuse. If you like dark and twisty thrillers, add this to your TBR! The book alternates between different POVs of the various couples and a self identified mysterious psychopath. The book also goes into what makes a psychopath. It was very fascinating and would be good for fans of true crime.
This was a unique read with a cast of very intriguing characters: three couples all different and yet the same. Wink wink. The excerpts throughout were interesting and then revealing. The story started out slow but once scrap hit the fan it was pedal to the metal, non-stop twisty suspense.
What. A. RUSH!! Twisted and dark and so very messed up and it was absolutely glorious!! I rooted for a crazy psychopath and loved every moment from start to finish. This is one of the ones you pick up and cannot stop thinking about and you keep itching to grab and finish as soon as you can.

Ahhh the disaster of house hunting. One couple wants to sell, another couple wants to buy and has to sell to buy, and another couple needs to buy since they sold. 6 people. 3 women. And a whoooole lot of double u tee eff. Once again the synopsis is all you need! Jump into this one and take the ride of terror you will love until the end.

Thank you Avon Books and Netgalley for the arc in exchange for my honest review.
Not a lover of this book unfortunately, a bit too slow for me and didn't like the characters.

I found the storyline hard to get into but thank you to Netgalley and Avon books for this ARC.
I’m not sure how this book gets amazing reviews. I was left rather disappointed. None of the characters had any depth to their descriptions. I got confused between the 3 main female characters and they all blended together. The story was weak and had loads of flaws. There were no major twists. The only good point is that the author has clearly researched traits of a psychopath and it was interesting.
This was a good read, apart from the fact I found it rather slow. The ending was fast paced and kept me on the edge of my seat. The characters were interesting, the plot was great and the setting was intriguing. I have read a few books by this author and they have all been enjoyable. I’ll be keeping my eye out for more in the future.
Thank you netgalley and the publisher for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for a honest review.
I absolutely devoured this. I was delighted to get the opportunity to read this in advance of publication thanks to #netgalley and I struggled to put it down. Perfectly drawn characters, fascinating personalities and it kept me guessing all the way through.  Another winner from Tess Stimson! Thoroughly recommended.