Cover Image: Meant to Be

Meant to Be

What another great book from Emily Giffin! I’ve read previous books from this author and really enjoyed them. I was pleasantly surprised to see that this was just as good as those. I enjoyed the story and the characters were very well written.
A wonderful re-imagining of JFK Jr. and Carolyn Bessett.

I loved this story but have to admit, I was fascinated by JFK Jr. back in the 90's. Emily Giffin is a favorite author of mine and this book did not disappoint.
This book was. quick read for me - I loved the way the story paralleled the story of the life of JFK Jr and Carolyn Bessette while being different enough so that you didn't know exactly what would happen as the book progressed. Definitely recommend!
I love all the books, Emily Giffin writes &  this is no exception. This book is loosely based on John f. Kennedy, Jr and was sensitive to the situation. Thank you for my advanced copy of the story.
I received a free copy from NetGalley.  Fiction, but they took a lot of plot and story line from the Kennedy family, which just made it kind of weird and copycat feeling while not being enough of a history.  Not a favorite for me.

Date made up.  I feel behind on reviews.
I loved this book so much! Her writing is always spot on and this was no different! Such a great story and strong characters
A wooden story with no substance. Felt like a cash grab without much thought put into it. Will not read this author again.
This book was fantastic! I really enjoyed it and it kept me guessing throughout, which is difficult for most books to do. I felt like I connected with the characters and really enjoyed the plot!
I love Emily Giffin, but I wasn't sure about this one. I follow her on IG and know how much she loves the royal family and the Kennedys though, so I figured she couldn't definitely do this kind of story justice - and she did! It was sweet and charming!
If you love reading about the US Kennedy family, you will probably love this book.  In the book the author fashions a young man who, like the Kennedy males, is an icon in US culture, with everything and anything a person might want at his fingertips. However, with all this comes the responsibility of the position, always cognizant of the public watching your every move and thought. The woman in the story is a young girl from a working class family, who escapes her dowdy existence and abusive step-father, to become a model. After a few years of that, she on to working for a well-known fashion designer. About this time is when she meets up with Joe Kingsley, the cultural icon every woman fantasizes about. Both begin a long, and   not-quite-so public relationship (because he is so well known and thus the focus of the press who relentless dig out any news or stories about him). This was an interesting though not so fascinating read.  If anyone is familiar with the Kennedy’s and their very public lives, the story will be very familiar. The author definitely knows and loves the Kennedy stories, as seen in the book. However, she has not really created characters with very much depth. In fact, there is not as much believability about it all. For starters, Cate, once a well-known model, hates going public with her relationship with Joe, because, as she indicates, she hates the publicity.  I found it difficult to believe a model would dislike publicity, as that is what drives their careers. Also, Joe is not against publicity of their relationship, when, as far as I know, people in similar positions as the ones who shy away from any media mention of their lives. There was definitely a lot of good chemistry between the pair, but I am not sure it made up for all the angst. The book moved along as fast as it could, but I was ready and waiting for the ending long before it came.  I just knew the story so well. This is the first book I have read by the author.  I suspect and hope that others are better, based on the reviews I have read. I will try another. I received this from NetGalley to read and review.
I think this was too close to JFK Jr.'s life that it felt like it should have been historical fiction, yet read like a romance. I don't know, this just wasn't for me.

I received an advance copy. All thoughts are my own.
I love this author but this novel fell a little flat to me. I loved the nod to the kennedy family but besides that, the character development felt very one sided. I felt like I knew so much more about Cate than joe. I did like the way it ended but the whole story felt a bit cheesy. That being said, I finished it in one day!
THANK YOU!!
I really enjoyed Emily Giffin's latest book.
She always delivers a fantastic story.
I could not put it down.
Meant to Be by Emily Giffin harkens back to the golden age of the writer and of American history. Introducing readers to Joseph S. Kingsley III and Cate Cooper, this Cinderella-esque love story is loosely based on the Kennedys.

Many thanks to the author, publisher, and NetGalley for sharing this book with me. All thoughts are my own.
Inspired by the Kennedy family, Emily Giffin centers her latest novel around the wealthy Kingsley family. After his father's untimely death, Joe Kingsley III inherits the famous legacy (think John F. Kennedy, Jr.). Cate, on the other hand, is born on the other side of the tracks. She grows up with an abusive stepfather and leaves home before she can graduate from high school. She supports herself as a famous model, and when she's on an assignment, she encounters the handsome Joe Kingsley, whose poster used to hang on her bedroom wall.

I usually enjoy Giffin's breezy novels, but this time, her characters were hard for me to connect with. Joe came across as spoiled and entitled, and the biggest hurdle in his relationship with Cate was how to deal with the paparazzi. Unlike JFK Jr., everything works out perfectly for Joe Kingsley. On the other hand, the pages practically turned themselves, so the book provided me with a few hours of escapism. Take this one to the beach: the plot developments are worthy of a soap opera. Just don't go into this book expecting realism.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for providing me with an ARC in exchange for my opinions.
This book was unbelievably good, better than I anticipated. I couldn't put it down. Such great characters, written in such a way you really understood them. Even though I just wanted to scream at Cate at times for her low self-worth (just tell him what's really going on already would you!) it was so believable and well-written and even gets to the nitty gritty of how some feel such low self-worth and sabotage things for that reason. I love how the story line flowed from Joe to  Cate, telling their stories in their own viewpoints and letting us, essentially, grow up with them and see their relationship develop. This is the type of story that takes you by the heart and doesn't let go. Well written, highly recommended, the type of book that makes it hard to find something good to read afterward.
Interesting book. Interesting premise. Nice romcom. Pretty standard plot and standard characters. Story moves at decent pace. Can be good for a beach book or vacation book.
This was a bit of a miss for me. There were aspects of it that I really liked, such as that it was clearly inspired but the Kennedy family. But for some reason this story never really picked up fully for me and I was always on the outskirts of feeling fully immersed. As a whole I love Emily Henry but I just don think this was the story for me.
This is my first Giffin to read in over a year, and it was lovely.

Joe Kingsley comes from a prestigious family. His father was an astronaut and politician who died on a space mission, recognized as a hero. Cate Cooper comes from a single-mom household and an abusive stepfather. After getting picked up by a modeling agency, she drops out of high school and moves away from her abusive home. Her paths cross with Joe’s one day in the Hamptons, and this starts an up-and-down relationship in which they have to navigate their very different backgrounds.

This shifts POV between Joe and Cate, an element to the story that I loved. I enjoyed reading about their relationship development and was overall happy with the plot of the novel.
Usually I love Emily Giffon books, but I don't have anything memorable about this one. Definitely based on the Kennedys, but I didn't feel or believe the attraction between the 2 main characters.