Cover Image: The Binding Room

The Binding Room

Detective Anjelica Henley is back with a bizarre and frightening murder to solve.  A popular preacher is found dead in his own church, with a second victim tied and tortured in a bed in an upstairs room. Barely alive, the second victim shows signs of a dark religious ritual.  Henley not only has to solve both crimes, but she soon finds the media spotlight on her yet again. If she can't find the killer, they may come after her and her family.

For readers of the previous book The Jigsaw Man, you're going to find more of the smart and nail-biting writing that Nadine Matheson is becoming known for. Her experience as a criminal attorney makes the mysteries frightening, but fascinating. She also explores how issues of race and class impact the justice system.
This is the second entry in a new series and I hadn’t read the first one. There is clearly a lot stemming from that novel, but it was still easy to understand what was going on, without it being repetitive. The procedural part is very addictive. A preacher is murdered and his body is found next to a secret room where a man lays captive, bound to a bed. It is pretty obvious that the preacher was involved in this, but it’s also apparent that the prisoner was in no state to have murdered anyone, so we get two mysteries, who killed the preacher and what happened to the captive. There are many suspects and red herrings. I saw one of the baddies coming, but not the other responsible parties. I liked the cops and their interactions and dialogues. I don’t normally enjoy a big subplot of personal details about the detectives, but in this case I was equally engrossed by it. The author finds the perfect balance between action and feelings. Anjelica Henley and her team are likable and I can’t wait to read more of their adventures.
I chose to read this book and all opinions in this review are my own and completely unbiased. Thank you, #NetGalley/#Harlequin Trade Publishing, Hanover Square Press!
enjoyed this read very much.

Admittedly, I missed the fact that it was the second book with Inspector A. Henley and did at times wonder if I missed some important background but in the end I don't feel it took away from the overall story. I'm always looking for a story to capture my attention and this one certainly did with lots of details to build up the characters and move the story forward with twists and turns along the way.

I enjoyed getting to know the characters and I definitely look forward to reading more from Nadine Matheson.
What It's About: The body of a popular preacher is discovered in his church and soon after, a second victim is found tortured and tied to a bed in a room. He is barely alive and his body show signs of a religious ritual.

My thoughts: The Jigsaw Man was one of my favourite reads last year and so I was really excited to read the second book in this series! The story begins with an intense scene and the crime was brutal. I loved the suspense and the investigation conducted by Henley.

Unfortunately, the overall story dragged a lot for me and while I usually do not mind a character driven story, this one fell flat for me. It just wasn't as captivating as The Jigsaw Man and lacked the wow factor.

Regardless, I will still read the author's next book as I really like Detective Henley!

Pub. Date: July 12th, 2022

***Thank you Harlequin Trade Publishing, Hanover Square Press and NetGalley for this gifted reading copy. All opinions expressed are my own.***
Sweet mother of pearl, WHAT A RIDE.

The Binding Room is a dark, twisty, compelling police procedural, the second in Nadine Matheson’s Inspector Anjelica Henley series. I haven’t read the first, but I don’t feel like my reading of this one suffered for it.

DI Anjelica Henley has a lot on her plate. She’s dealing with the loss of a loved one, the fallout from an affair with her superior, and PTSD from her near-death experience at the hands of a suspect on a previous investigation. But all that has to take a back seat when a young woman goes to her job cleaning a church and finds the pastor, ostensibly a respected pillar of the community, brutally murdered. The SCU is called in to investigate. But when another person is found bound and clearly subjected to torture in a hidden room of the church, the SCU must also consider whether the pastor was victimizer as well as victim.

First, let me say that this isn’t a book for the faint of heart. It deals with some fairly gory descriptions of injuries, and it covers the topics of abuse and mental health in a way that might be unsettling or upsetting for some. It also portrays an ostensibly Christian church in a less than flattering light.

But if those things don’t put you off reading, this is a nail-biter of a story. This isn’t just one murder, it’s several, and the SCU has to figure out how they all tie together. A horrifying picture unfolds of unthinkable acts committed under the guise of exorcisms. But worse still, one of the victims had recently given birth. Where is her baby? In the hands of a killer?

Matheson’s background in the criminal arena shines through. You don’t write this kind of story this well without having some personal experience in the matter. With the way the SCU was written, though, as a team who have each other’s backs even when they’re giving each other good-natured grief, I would have pegged her for a prosecutor (I was one in a former work incarnation). She paints a thorough picture of police procedure and the criminal justice system.

The story is set in London, and there are a few terms and acronyms that might not be familiar to someone who hasn’t operated within the UK legal system. I was able to gather the meaning of those from context pretty well, and the jargon didn’t keep me from reading at speed and well past my bedtime.

The Binding Room is a five-star read for me. Dark, twisty, and absolutely enthralling. I look forward to reading more from Nadine Matheson!
When Nadine Matheson releases a Sophomore novel, you do not walk, you run to buy the book!

After reading The JigSaw Man, I knew that I was locked in and I would forever be a fan of Nadine Matheson. When I saw The Binding Room, pop up on Netgalley, I knew that I did not even need to read the synopsis to know that I wanted it.

The Binding Room is part of the Inspector Anjelica Henley series (Book #2). This book can be read as a standalone, however, I would not recommend it. The JigSaw Man laid so much foundation, I promise you, you do not want to miss out on it anyway. The binding room is an intense thriller with a side of police procedural. Typically I avoid police procedurals but recently I have enjoyed them especially if they are well written.

The Binding Room, clearly became one of my favorite books of the year. The writing style is addicting and done with precision. The twist was executed perfectly and my attention was never lost from start to finish.

I can not wait to see what book 3 holds as book 2 definitely outdid itself! Congratulation to Nadine Matheson on her Sophomore novel, you knocked this one out of the park!
This is the 2nd book in the Anjelica Henley series. I have to say, this one started out really slow for me. I picked it up, put it down, picked it up, put it down ... Finally, I picked it up, and I didn't put it down until I finished it. Dark and gritty, slightly disturbing but a definite must read. Looking forward to the next one.

I highly recommend you read The Jigsaw Man first, but The Binding Room could be read as a stand-alone. I definitely think you need the backstory to understand the emotional/psychological history of Anjelica and her team.
4.5/5

Thank you #netgalley and #htp #hanoversquarepress for the eARC.
Como eu adoro um bom thriller nada melhor que trazer esse lançamento para vocês!

A detetive Henley acabou de passar por um evento traumático, ela e sua equipe estão passando por muitos problemas pessoais que parecem interferir cada vez mais no trabalho. Quando Anjelica é chamada para investigar o assassinato de um pastor e encontra um jovem acorrentado a uma cama as coisas começam a se complicar. Seria o pastor a vítima ou o algoz? E quando mais corpos começam a aparecer eles podem estar lidando com um serial killer.

Vocês sabem que eu não resisto a um bom livro de investigação criminal e com uma detetive para acompanhar. Em The Binding Room acompanhamos a detetive Anjelica Henley, e eu descobri depois que esse é o segundo volume de uma série, confesso que alguns acontecimentos passaram batido para mim, mas a história principal fluiu perfeitamente.

Esse foi o meu primeiro contato com a escrita dessa autora, que traz a representatividade nesse livro de uma maneira muito bem estruturada e com discussões raciais muito pertinentes. Diferente de algumas outras séries, essa se passa na Inglaterra, mais especificamente em Londres.

A detetive Henley acabou me incomodando um pouco por ser uma mulher forte, mas que ao mesmo tempo se encontra em uma situação de vulnerabilidade por ser mulher. Ela sofre pressão por parte da família e do marido para engravidar novamente e ela simplesmente não quer mais filhos. Na realidade ela já se sente um fracasso como mãe e essa abordagem da maternidade compulsória foi muito bem trabalhada. Acontece que Anjelica Henley não ama mais o marido, ela é apaixonada pelo chefe e isso fica claro ao longo do livro, só ela que não quer admitir.

A investigação do crime entrega tudo que os fãs do gênero esperam. Mistério, crimes sexuais e religiosos e muitas reviravoltas. Foram muitos os momentos que eu achei que havia descoberto o assassino para depois ser surpreendida.  O livro te prende do começo ao fim e você nem percebe que ele tem mais de 400 páginas.

Enfim, é uma ótima opção para os fãs do gênero.
Crime procedural with a dark edge? Nadine Matheson is 100% your author!
Thank you to HarperCollins Canada and Netgalley for my eARC for review!
The Binding Room is one of my most-anticipated books of the year, as it's the second in the series featuring DI Angelica Henley from The Jigsaw Man.
Friends, this sequel does NOT disappoint.
The same gritty, fast-paced storytelling that hooked us in The Jigsaw Man is here again, and possibly even more, in The Binding Room.
Pastor Caleb Annan has been stabbed to death in his church, which oddly isn't the most disturbing thing found in the building. A barely-alive young man is found in a hidden room in the church, with injuries chronicling torture and neglect.
This sets off a series of finding further victims with similar abuse, and investigations of who is behind it and why.
This is a relentlessly readable book, with not one extraneous scene. It all flows and fits and pertains.
Henley, Ramouter, Pellacia et al are back, and even more fascinating in the second installment - these are characters I can't wait to follow the stories of through the rest of the series.
For fans of Criminal Minds/CSI-style thrillers, highly recommended!
Released on July 12.
I loved seeing these characters back for a sequel! I was a big fan of all the gore in this book, but I was not a fan of the length. I’m already anxiously awaiting the next book #NadineMatheson writes!
Another great police procedural from Matheson! THE BINDING ROOM is dark, intricate, and suspenseful. I love following these characters. I also enjoyed the discussion of mental health aspects throughout. Readers who like shows like Criminal Minds would enjoy this book and series!
This was the first book that I read by this author and it will not be my last.  There were twists and turns all the way through this book.  There was a lot of psychological suspense and some murders.  I wish I had read the first book in the series because then I would have understood the main characters a little better.  This kept me on the edge of my seat throughout much of the story..  I hope to learn more about Henley and the rest of her team in the next book of the series.  I received a copy of this book from harlequin for a fair and honest opinion that I gave of my own free will.
I really enjoyed this thriller read.

This time DI Anjelica Henley and SCU investigating a brutal murder of a preacher in his own church and then there's another victim and then there's a another dead body and another and another and this one become a complicated case. Yup it's a page-turner gripping intriguing thriller read. It might not a fast-paced one, because police procedural takes times but I don't mind a bit, because it's still very engaging, I keep turning page after page wondering what is going on and add SCU members personal problems and all the effects of the previous case that still impacting their lives, this book become unputdownable.

Gripping thriller read with great strong characters, definitely highly recommended, but please read the content warning, lots of gruesome details that really hard to stomach.
Dark, disturbing, and twisted - After reading the first Henley thriller, that's what I expected, and Nadine Matheson didn't disappoint. I'm always on the lookout for a gritty detective series, and this one checks all the boxes. Detective Anjelica Henley is relatable and likable, and best of all, she's human. What I mean by that is she isn't perfect, she doesn't figure it all out without doing the work, and she has her share of personal stuff to deal with. She's someone I can root for. The story is full of twists, and I was surprised for every single one. That doesn't happen nearly as often as I'd like, so when I say Matheson kept me guessing, I mean it quite literally. The story does get a little gruesome, so that's something to keep in mind. It wasn't too much for me, but I could see it being a problem for some. That said, if a bit of gore doesn't bother you and you're looking for a thriller that will keep you on the edge of your seat, I'd recommend this one.
THE BINDING ROOM (An Inspector Anjelica Henley Thriller Book #2) by Nadine Matheson is an intense and gritty British police procedural thriller. This is the second instalment in this series and can be read as a thriller standalone, but there are major character relationships that are better understood if you read The Jigsaw Man, Book #1 first.

Detective Anjelica Henley and her team are back and still dealing with the trauma of their last case as they are pulled into another difficult investigation. Henley is called to a scene of a brutal stabbing of a popular preacher in his own church and as they search the church discover another apparently tortured body barely alive, tied to a bed in a hidden room.

Henley and her team work both cases even as politics, secrets and lies make the team feel like they are getting nowhere fast. More bodies are discovered with the same terrible injuries and the female victim shows signs of having given birth. Both investigations have crossover suspects, but the clues lead to different motives. Henley must move quickly to stop more tortured murder victims.

I am happy to announce there was no sophomore slump with this addition to the series. Henley is still having problems emotionally from their last case and the loss of her mother. Her marriage is still in flux, and I still do not know how that will turn out in future books. Her entire team has become more fully fleshed and I care for them all with all their quirks and differences. This book does have several very dark and graphically disturbing scenes, but it is about sadistic torture murders and Ms. Matheson’s first book was the same, so I was expecting it. The investigative plot was well paced with several twists throughout that keeps you reading with a major twist right before the end.

I highly recommend this thriller and I am looking forward to many more in this series!
A popular preacher is found dead in his church with dozens of stab wounds. However, he is not the only victim. As Detective Inspector Anjelica Henley and her team are going through the church looking for whatever clues they can find, she stumbles upon a second victim. Shockingly, despite many apparent injuries, he is still alive. It becomes very clear early on that this second victim is part of some strange and dark religious ritual.

The deeper the investigation gets, it is apparent that there are no shortage of suspects. In fact, this preacher, as charismatic as he was, was not a beacon of faith and hope as he pertained to be. It becomes more than clear that his death is something that more than one person would’ve wanted. And, as if the investigation itself is not enough to warrant all of her time, Anjelica has other battles. Pressured by the media to find the killer of the pastor, as well as a moral and personal dilemma she is facing, she is literally burning the candle at both ends.

One thing that makes her job even harder is that racial tensions are ever present in this particular case and that affects whether or not justice will be served. This racism impacts not only Anjelica, but her partner Ramouter as well. Meanwhile, as if solving both of the crimes in front of her are not enough, there is yet a third murder and they discover that there is a missing baby. Anjelica truly is in a race against time to find this baby alive all while she is trying to discover what was really going on in this pastor’s life and in his church.

The Binding Room is the thrilling second book in the Inspector Anjelica Henley series, and follows the equally thrilling The Jigsaw Man. That book introduced Anjelica to readers and also put the fabulous author Nadine Matheson on my radar. The way that this book is written it could do well as a standalone, but since it follows the first book, with reference to the killer in that book and how it affected all of the police that were involved, I highly recommend reading these books in order. Another reason that I recommend this is because of the continuity that comes with the relationship Anjelica has with her team and also with the situation in her marriage.

This book is long. In fact, I was able to get this from my library as an audiobook which was 17 hours long. With excellent narration, this exciting story never lost a beat. The drama, intrigue, and intense scenes continue at a rapid pace from beginning to end. I do have to mention that this book has some grisly scenes and may not be for the weak of heart. The author’s experience as a criminal defense attorney lends to her expertise regarding the crimes and the solving of these crimes in this book. I do love that this book makes the characters real to the readers and the conclusion dangled just enough bait to make me more than eager for book three in the series.

Many thanks to Hanover Square Press and to NetGalley for this ARC for review. This is my honest opinion.

Please enjoy my YouTube video review - https://youtu.be/pTs6FEamdm8
This is the second book in the series. I read this without having read the first. I really did enjoy this police procedural, especially the main character. I was told that I’d have enjoyed it more if I had read the first one. Highly recommend.
Detective Anjelica Henley has a new case on her hands. This one is a murder of a priest in town which seems pretty routine until she discovers another body in the church. Except, this man is still alive, but barely. With her team, Anjelica must try and solve this case before time runs out and she becomes the next victim.

This novel by Nadine Matheson grips the reader into the story in the first few pages. It is a fast paced, race against the clock, psychological thriller which was hard to put down. I enjoy the character of Anjelica as she is complex, driven and yet has a gentle side. The supporting characters are well written which adds another dimension to the story. I was so excited to see a second book in the series, and if you have not read The Jigsaw Man, I highly recommend you do.  I rated this at three stars only because I enjoyed the first book in the series more. Harlequin Publishing so graciously gifted me an advanced copy of the book which I read and voluntarily reviewed. Get ready for a great adventure with this book friends
First the spectacular Jigsaw Man and now The Binding Room. I read this book in 3 hours. It really was a book I couldn't stop reading. But oh that prologue. Not for the weak.

I adore all the characters. I think Inspector Anjelica Henley is a brilliant character. Its great to see the main character be a black woman which I didnt know till the end of The Jigsaw Man. And a woman who doesnt want to be a stay-at-home mother and wife. She loves her family but its just not her. I think that describes a lot of women. And her relationship with DC Ramouter is great as is his backstory line. I think his young wife having alzheimers is a very interesting dynamic. My husband has alzheimers but he's in his late 70s. I can't imagine getting it when you're young and your life is ahead of you. I didn't know young people got it. I think Nadine Matheson has a brilliant way of teaching you new things.

All the side stories like missing her old boss and her past affair with her superior makes more interesting fodder.

I cannot wait for the next installment. When it comes, I'll be twirling around like Kathy Bates in Misery with that Number One fan gleeful look.
The Binding Room is an addictive thriller. The twists and turns in the story led me to read most of it in one sitting. I also really liked how this book portrays multiple mental health issues such as depression, PTSD, and the experiences of caregivers in a way that is sensitive and authentic.

I highly recommend this book for fans of Criminal Minds. It has a similar vibe of showing the victims' perspective, the killer's motivation, and the police's reaction throughout the book.
Content warning: violence, blood, gore (ritualistic murder is described in graphic detail)