Cover Image: The Binding Room

The Binding Room

Having not read the Jigsaw Man not sure what I was getting into reading this book.
Twist and turns but following it was hard for me.
I just didn't love it.

Thanks to the author, the publisher and NetGalley for an early release of this book.
Here I thought book 1 was creepy as well as dark and twisted ,but this one has that one bet, and every time the team thought they had some idea on what happened more lies and secrets came out of nowhere . In fact though out the story I felt like the first victim got what was coming to him, and I felt sorry for the other victims that came after him.
DI Angelica Henley and her team are back after the gruesome events of The Jigsaw Man. Six months have passed and the shadow cast by Peter Olivier still looms over them. Angelica has personal problems with her husband, Rob( I did not like him at all), professional issues with her boss and former lover, Stephen, and is suffering from PTSD thanks to her near-fatal encounter with Olivier.

When a well-known pastor is murdered, you would think that finding his killer would be the team's only objective. But as they are searching the crime scene, they find a man, bound, tortured, and looking very dead. Now Angelica has to solve the murder of what appears to be an evil man. As the body count rises, there are plenty of suspects, yet they seem to be no closer to solving this crime.

The racism that Angelica and one of her team members, Ramouter have experienced in the past, rears its ugly head yet again. Stephen is getting political pressure from an MP, and Angelica is livid. It doesn't help to solve the murder either when skeletons just keep falling out of the pastor's closet.

In the end, everything made sense if you understand that professionally, this case is closed, even if it has ramifications that might carry over to the next book. Ramouter still suffers from Olivier's actions and he is dealing with a heartbreaking situation with his wife. Angelica is barely treading water with her husband and her lingering feelings for Stephen continue to create turmoil. I enjoyed being with these characters again!

People always ask me if a book in a series can be read as a standalone. While I am not a fan, in this case, the investigation could be, but without reading The Jigsaw Man, you will not truly relate to the havoc Peter Olivier caused.
From the author of The Jigsaw Man comes the second installment of Inspector Anjelica Henley. The Jigsaw man was a great and gruesome read and I was looking for more of that.

This one has the characters all still traumatized from Olivier so everyone is a bit off their game. But when a pastor in the community is brutally murdered, there are so many suspects it’s hard to pick just one!

And what they find in a hidden room is downright gruesome. These people have taken religion in a whole new direction. And wow are they good at justifying their actions. Totally insane.

Anjelica is still conflicted where her boss is concerned, which is an interesting side piece. I didn’t care for the husband one bit.

There are so many twists and turns it was hard to keep straight but I did. And it’s always the last reason and person you suspect of getting their own brand of justice.

NetGalley/ Harlequin July 12, 2022
✨Book review✨
The Binding Room
By Nadine Matheson

This was a difficult read for me, and I am saddened as I had heard great things, but for me there was something missing.

I found it difficult to align with the main character in this story, and perhaps this is due to the fact that this is a second novel for Detective Inspector Anjelica Henley.

The storyline at times was a bit hard to follow for me, and this could again have to do with me having not read The Jigsaw Man first.

There was definitely suspense and gore, with some very cringe worthy scenes set. Some readers may be triggered by the topics of religion, race, and mental well being .

That being said, the book just didn’t pack the full punch for me. I may read the Jigsaw Man and see if that sways how I feel about this book, but as it stands currently for me, this was just okay.

Rating : ⭐️⭐️⭐️/5

Thanks so much to @netgalley for a copy of this E-Arc in exchange for my honest review.

#bookreview #bookstagram #bookrecs #canadianbookinfluencer #candianbookstagrammer #albertabookstagrammers #netgalley #netgalleyreader #thebindingroom #bookchat #thrillerbooks #bookswithgore #yycbookstagram #bibliophile #justmyopinion #justmyopinionreviews #readitforyourself #bookstagrammers #booksbooksbooks #readersofinstagram #reading #winsomeloosesome #harlequintradepublishing
Thank you Killer Crime Club and NetGalley for this book. It reminded me a little of Bones and a little of Law and Order SVU.
Enjoyed this book.  The story was a little over the top, but it was interesting enough to keep the reader reading.  When one mystery becomes another, and then another and another......  The characters are likeable and well fleshed the reader learns enough of their backstory to understand their reasons to keep investigating the crimes.
while balancing their personal lives.  It is a good quick read.
This character will go down through the ages as one of the best literary detectives on paper. Love Henley, loved the first book, loved the second book. This better keep coming every year because this is officially a must buy/ must read for me.

Many twists and turns in this dark, crime thriller. This one deals with the church and a murdered pastor. Very detailed descriptions of death and torture.
This book does delve into the characters a little more which I loved.
Not sure if I liked this book or the first one more!

Thanks to NetGalley, publishers, and author for this arc!
If you loved "The Jigsaw Man" this is a must read. Henley and Ramouter search for a ritualistic murderer and the killer of the pastor of the church that seems to have been involved. The characters of Henley and Ramouter are further developed as we learn more about them and the impact that the past has on their present. Dark and twisted the plot takes you for a ride you won't forget. Thank you Killer Crime Club, Harper Collins Canada and Net Galley for the opportunity to read this ARC.
#TheBindingRoom#KillerCrimeClub#HarperCollinsCanada#NetGalley
Wow, this was a wild ride! I loved the first book, I couldn’t delve into this one fast enough. Henley is one of my favorite detectives, and I need more from this series!

This is about a murdered pastor and some darker things happening in a church. Henley is dealing with past trauma, a difficult marriage, and taking on a case from a different unit. Her partner is also dealing with some tough choices, having to decide between work and family. While trying to find who killed the pastor and who this person they found almost dead in the church, it starts to get more dark and complicated.

This was impossible to put down, with so many twists and turns. I loved this book just as much as the first. Henley is human and flawed. This book deals with a plethora of dark subject matter, but it’s impossible to stop reading.

I need the next one already.

Thank you NetGalley and harlequin for the digital review copy.
I like the characters in this series (this is book 2).  The relationship elements between the characters carry over from the prior book and they are very important so although the central crime is no, you really should read the books in order.   The central mystery(s) are well done although one you see coming fairly early on, but how you get from A to Z is a good story.  The crimes are described very graphically but quickly, I have to kind of read pas the descriptions as they go a little too far for me but that's just a few paragraphs.  All in all, I look forward to reading more in this series.

I received an advance copy from the publisher and Netgalley to review.
Wow, what a book! This book was insane! In a totally good way, of course, but INSANE. I loved it! I was glued to my seat the entire time.
Nadine Matheson is proving herself a force to be reckoned with - this is every bit as enjoyable as her first. A recommended first purchase for most collections.