Cover Image: Illegally Yours

Illegally Yours

***Thank you to NetGalley and Grand Central Publishing for this e-copy in exchange for an honest review***

Rafael's mom and step-father decided to move to the US from Guayaquil, Ecuador for a chance at a better life. At first, Rafael's mother lied to him, telling him they would only be in the US a short time -- but this is not the only thing his parents were keeping from him: he is also undocumented. The memoir talks about his childhood and adult struggles through school, not being able to leave the country, and trying to get jobs without having a social security number.
What an incredible telling of my story! I’m torn between accusing the author of writing my life’s story amor becoming his best friend! He eloquently describes the experience of of growing up with the American dream while undocumented in a way that reached into me and pulled out vivid memories, good and bad. This is absolutely a must-read!
I absolutely adored this book. It was moving, funny, and incredibly timely. I will be recommending it strongly!
Thank you #Netgalley for this advanced copy.

I loved this read! Rafa did an amazing job sharing his stories of childhood and being brought over to America. I can't believe how many times they had to move and how well he did adjusting to the different dynamics.  Having lived in southern California, I completely understood the comments he was making. I was so happy watching his successful progression and where he ultimately landed and came full circle.