Cover Image: Little Sister

Little Sister

This is book 4 in a detective procedural series. You can probably read it as a stand alone, but I would suggest reading the other 3 books first. There are mild spoilers in this book that will ruin some surprises in the earlier books..
The case itself was slow to progress and I was kind of bored at first.
The other books grabbed my attention straight away, so I was surprised that this one wasn't.
I should have known better.
Gytha Lodge was fucking with me, she had a plan and was laying it all out so that my brain would get fried when the plot takes a turn.
Well done Ms. Lodge.
Much love to NetGalley, Random House, and Gytha Lodge for my ARC.
A teenage girl wanders out of the woods, covered in blood. The girl, Keely, and her sister Nina have been missing for a week. Keely tells DCI Jonah Sheens that she will tell him everything, but he must listen to her whole story, starting at the beginning. Jonah agrees, but he and his team are also trying to find Nina.

Little Sister is told using alternating points of view – Jonah, Juliette (an officer on Jonah’s team), and Keely. Jonah and Juliette are trying to find Nina, and Keely is telling a tragic story of abuse in the foster system.

Little Sister is the fourth book in the DCI Jonah Sheens series, but it can be read as a standalone. This series has some gripping mysteries, and I suggest reading the other books.

Little Sister is dark, twisted, and tragic. Recommended for fans of British police procedurals.

I received a digital copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Two sisters, Keely and Nina, are put in foster care after the death of their mother.
A crime is committed and Keely seems to be at the center of things. When she is questioned by DCI Jonah Sheens she insinuate that her sister is in danger or in some way involved. As she tells the story of how they came to be in foster care and now this mystery. There are three men who hurt them throughout their lives.

This is the third in a series and had I known that I would not have requested this one.  I feel that something was missing for me. Maybe back story about DCI Jonah Sheens. I don't know. It's just a feeling. The main character Keely seems to be very good at telling stories. Or did horrible things really happen. Was her and her sister abused while in the system. Does Keely have things to hide and if so will Jonah get to the bottom of it and find out exactly what happened. Where Nina is. Who did what and why.

This book starts out strong and pulls you in completely. It starts dragging a bit and then picks up somewhat later in the story. It was good and well written but I think some things could have been left out. Maybe. Or made more exciting. I hate when a book is good then it starts dragging. I tend to lose interest when this happens. That is why it took so long for me to read this one. I have read and enjoyed other books by this author and will continue to read her books.

Thank you #NetGalley and Publisher for this ARC. This is my own true thoughts about this book.

3 stars
This book got you from the very beginning. Very hard to put down I just was so surprised by the end. Good twist in the middle.
This is my first novel in the Jonah Sheens series. Fortunately, I found it quite easy to read and understand without having read the prior three novels. This novel was a bit of a surprise, it didn’t end up the way I thought it was going to. It started out as an abduction and ends up as a sort of redemption story. The story centers around two troubled sisters who have spent most of their lives in foster placement. The sisters were always together, so when one sister walks out of the woods covered in blood, detectives can only assume the worst has happened to the younger sister. Jonah’s unit hasn’t prepared themselves for Keely. A mega manipulator, Keely has invested a lot of time giving the police the right dog to chase. Things become a little messy for me in the later part of the novel when the truth is finally revealed. I generally enjoyed this story. I wasn’t as big of a fan of the character reveals. Review posted to Goodreads, Litsy, Amazon, LibraryThing, Facebook, and Instagram.
Little Sister is part  British police procedural and part an insightful story of how children may be shaped by their experiences in shelters and/or foster care.  Keely and Nina, red headed middle class or even upper middle class sisters land in care when their mother dies.  Years later, the sisters go missing until Keely appears in a pub, covered in blood and attracts the attention of DCI Jonah Sheens.  He ends up taking lead on her questioning as she implies that her sister may be in trouble and she might have something to do with the danger Nina is in.  Keely requires that the detectives listen to a long involved story of the sisters' years in care and the three men who ruined their lives along the way.

The team frantically reviews files of discredited abuse reports, interrogates those involved in their care and, slowly, a picture of Keely's extraordinary gift for manipulation forms.  Is anything she's telling them true or is she repeating lies she told in the past?  Where is Nina?  Why is Keely insisting on responding to the questioning only by telling an extended story?  What is she trying to accomplish?

Overall, I loved the premise of this novel and it included great characters and a good plot, but it dragged.  I think the idea was that the whole investigation was dragging for the team as they struggled to figure out what was going on and to rescue Nina, but I think it could have been written in a tighter manner.  .  I like the officers involved in solving the case and the twists the story takes.  This is a solid four stars for me and I recommend Little Sister.
Thank you to Netgalley, the publishing house and the author for the opportunity to read a complimentary copy of the book herein in return for a review based upon my honest opinion.

DCI Jonah Sheens is back again; this time to solve the dissappearance of missing teen, Nina.  He is found by her older sister Keeley, who is bathed in blood and will only tell her tale piece by piece in chronological order.  Jonah is willing to listen, but he is not sure if Keeley is victim or abuser.  As they try to unravel Keeley's story and find the clues she has left behind, keeley goes missing, but is it voluntary or not?  She tells a story of abuse in different care homes after their mother's untimely death but is she believeable; in the past people have not beliveved her.

There were so many twists and turns , the story was well told and kept me guessing right up to tthe end.  I will definitely read more bookd by this author.
Two sisters go missing from a foster home. Several days later one sister, Keely emerges bloody saying she is fine. She leads detectives with clues to find the missing girl, Nina. She says they must hurry to find Nina because she is the one who is in trouble. She's the one who was bleeding. This is an interesting book with twists I didn't see coming. I did not realize I was reading Book #4 of the series.
A very good police procedural.  I enjoyed riding shotgun for the investigation.
Many thanks to Random House and to NetGalley for providing me with a galley in exchange for my honest opinion.
Fast-paced and gripping. Little Sister is a recommended purchase for collections where thrillers are popular.
Teenagers Keely and her younger sister Nina ran away from a children’s home a week ago. They have been in the foster care system since the accidental death of their mother. Now Keely has reappeared, covered in someone else’s blood, and she refuses to tell the police where Nina is. Keely insists on being allowed to tell the whole story of the sisters’ lives since the death of their mother. The book alternates chapters of police investigation with chapters of Keely’s obviously rehearsed tale, in which she sprinkles cryptic clues designed to lead the police to something. They hope that that something is Nina, but maybe not, since Keely seems to have ambiguous feelings about her sister. Although this police procedural is the fourth in the series, it can be read as a standalone unless you really want to follow all the personal dramas of the police officers. I have read all of the books in order, but I really don’t care about the cops.

According to Keely, the sisters were subjected to emotional, physical and sexual abuse in two foster homes and one group care facility. In each case, their claims were discredited, and the evidence points to Keely being a sociopath and pathological liar. Nina is the “good” sister and the police try to follow the frustrating clues to find the missing, and possibly injured child.

I almost stopped reading this book because I found the story so contrived. It really seemed like a plan that an author would come up with, not a 16 year old girl. I did finish the book, but I remain unconvinced about the credibility of the plot. 3,5 stars which I am rounding up because at least I haven’t read this plot before.

I received a free copy of this book from the publisher.
This one kept me up at night! This is my first book in the series, but now I am going to go back and read more!
Let me start out by saying, Gytha Lodge, you have just raised the bar for every book that follows Little Sister.

Never in my life have I read an ending with such a twist as Little Sister. It was also made clear that Lodge did her research when it came to the knowledge in police procedurals and providing accurate descriptions as the story unfolded.

I also must add that this is the 4th book in the Jonah Sheens series. It may still work as a standalone although I would not recommend it.

Little Sister circles around child abuse which may be a trigger to some. However, the way that this book was so well written, I cant see anyone wanting to miss out on such a great story!

Lately, I have found myself enjoying police procedurals more than I have in the past and I think it is safe to say that Little Sister has become one of my favorites for this specific genre.
I really liked Little Sister by Gytha Lodge. I did not realize it was a series unril I started reading and realized they were referencing things from the past. This was such a creepy and sinister story. I liked the main character and can’t wait to go back and read the previous books. This series is definitely a must read! Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for the advanced copy of this book, all opinions are my own.
This is book 4 in the Jonah Sheens Detective Series.  In this book, Jonah is enjoying a rare day off when he sees a girl coming out of the woods that is covered in blood.  When the girl insisted that she is okay, but it is her sister that needs help, he is thrust into action.  Keely and her sister, Nina, disappeared a week ago.  Can he find the still missing sister, or will it be too late?
Little Sister by Gytha Lodge is an excellent example of the British police procedural model. This is the fourth instalment of the Detective Chief Inspector Jonah Sheens series but it reads well as a stand-alone, with the author updating the reader of any pertinent details from the previous novels. Two young girls are at the center of this mystery. One sister, Keely, shows up at DCI Sheens’ pub, with a jumbled tale, so intriguing that he can’t help but give her the benefit of the doubt. It appears that her younger sister, Nina, is missing. Both girls had been in care for several years, following the death of their mother. The mystery starts there and will lead the DCI and his detectives on a path of confusion and danger, while time is running out. Nothing is as it seems. The girls had gone from foster home to foster home, the last being worse than the previous. The DCI’s team are totally dedicated to getting to the bottom of Nina’s disappearance and that journey makes for a fascinating read. The characters are colourful and well-drawn. The plot captivates as the reader attempts to solve this mystery. Little Sister is well worth the read. This is my first Gytha Lodge book but I look forward to reading the others. Highly recommended. Thank you to Random House Publishing Group, NetGalley and the author for the e-ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Stellar fourth entry to the DCI Jonah Sheens series. While I did feel like it moved a little bit slower in the beginning than others, it still held my interest, and I was fully invested in the outcome. Jonah finds a bloody girl who, along with her sister, has escaped from an abusive children's home. The sister is missing. The girl tells a heartbreaking story of abuse and seems to know where her sister is but will not directly say. Is the story for real? Where is the sister? This author gets better and better at spinning a tale and this book is proof of that. Great story, although difficult subject matter. Look forward to more!

Thank you to #NetGalley, #GythaLodge and Random House Publishing Group for this ARC. All opinions are my own.
This slowly unraveling plot introduces us to two sisters who were thrust into the childcare system due to their mother’s death. Where once they had precious memories and overflowing love, they now have the horrors of a public that feeds on the youth like piranha.
Keely and Nina have suffered for years in the system, and each time they beg for help, they're called liars and punished even more. When they reach proper age, they're finally spit out, but what’s left in the shells of these young ladies? That’s the job of DCI Jonah Sheens and his crew when Keely walks into his favorite bar, covered in blood, telling him to find Nina. Apparently, she’s caused harm to her little sister and the clock is tickling.
I love the plot of this story; just as you’re beginning to tire of one officer’s investigation, it flips to a partner in another location. They’re basically running around with their heads cut off as the clock ticks. The tidbits they each bring back to the meeting room don’t seem to make sense. This is a quick-paced thriller and the answers aren’t too obvious; I was completely caught off guard. The last few chapters got a little befuddled; I should have had my own flow chart like the investigators. I didn’t realize this was #4 in a series until I finished the book, and it was quite enjoyable as a stand-alone.
Sincere thanks to Random House Publishing Group for an ARC in exchange for my honest review. This book is now available.
This may be my favorite book in this series yet and that is really saying something. The case the team has to solve in this book is full of twist and turns. There isn’t just one big plot twist in this book, but several. The main one had me a bit confused for a bit and I had to stop reading for a second and think back over the story to think how it worked but that was probably just because I was reading while I was tired (the book was just too good to put down and go to bed). I also like that this series has the case but there is also the personal life of each team member going on in the background. Jonah is dealing with being a new dad, Juliette is still coping with a stalker ex, and something is off with Ben. It adds the extra layer of realness to the story and makes the read even more compelling. This book could be read as a standalone but do yourself a favor and read this series from the start!  They just keep getting better.
I was so lucky to receive an advance copy of Little Sister by Gytha Lodge from NetGalley and the publisher in exchange for my honest review and opinion.  LOVED all the twists and turns!  This is the 4th book in the series but it's not necessary for you to read all the previous books to get an understanding.  You will love this and then want to read all the earlier books.  So good!