Cover Image: Relativity

Relativity

Relativity by Ben Adams is a story about finding a life worth living. It follows three men on a road trip who are all trying to find the answers to life.

Harry, is trying to find a scientific answer to everything. Dennis, is trying to find fulfillment in his relationships. And Timothy, currently feels the most alive while he’s playing video games with friends online.

This story is very unique. The multiple POVs helped it flow smoothly, and also gave more depth to each character. I’ve been enjoying this so far, i don’t typically read a lot of stories that focus on mens growth so it’s been fun to read a different perspective.

Despite a really interesting story I found the pacing to be weird and kind of clunky. I had a hard time staying focused
This book was a little out there for me and hard to follow at times. But definitely had it’s funny moments. I’m not the target audience for this book but I found I’m the description intriguing enough to see where it was going, lol! Definitely a satire and men going through a mid life crisis.

I appreciate my gifted copy in exchange for an honest review.
I enjoyed this book! The premise of a road trip of three guys was new and fun. It was a quick and easy read for me and I really liked it.
I wasn't sure what to expect with this one but overall it was a good read!

I enjoy having multiple people with individual arcs to follow and this provided that. The character development was strong and you really were rooting for each of the characters as they went through their journeys. As someone who loves science and is in the field, I so enjoyed all of the science talk. It resonated with me and made this so much fun.

I enjoy satire reads but as someone who hasn't read a lot of them, some of them are beyond my reach. That in no way is a fault of this book or the writing, it is just something that I experienced because I haven't read a lot of them.

If you love satire, science, and well built characters who are on a journey, pick this one up!
I had a hard time getting into this one, but I didn't hate it. In some instances I felt the story was just a little disjointed and made too abrupt of a plot turn. Not to mention a few characters could definitely be defined as toxic  and narcissistic.

No means no, not maybe...eventually...she'll change her mind. Mental health is an important topic and I found it disheartening that Timothy's wife was left to go through her depression alone while he lost himself in his games....is it really his way of processing grief? Maybe I am wrong, but I didn't quite buy it.

Maybe its because I'm a women, but I couldn't connect with the male POV for males & a midlife crisis.
Relativity by Ben Adams
Publisher: BHC Press
Published: June 7th
Rating: ⭐⭐⭐

Huge shoutout to not only the author @bentadams11 but also TLC book tours for letting me join you! I'm so happy to be on the TLC team!

Overview from Amazon: "Harry Erickson believes he's disproven Einstein's Theory of General Relativity. Dennis Drysdale is in love with a woman he knew from high school. Timothy Henderson wants to professionally play video games.When Harry accidentally burns his house down in a freak chicken Kiev accident, it sets events into motion that allow the three friends to pursue their individual dreams.The trio embark on a road trip to Chicago in pursuit of their destinies and find themselves at the University of Chicago Physics department, a video game tournament, and a lunch date at Panera Bread.Relativity is a captivating wild romp fueled with the aspirations of three men who are on a quest to dedicate their lives to their ridiculous dreams in this thought-provoking and satirical novel of friendship and finding oneself."

This book was weird and quirky and strange and fun. It was easy to read and easy to root for the win. There were implausible situations, unlikely friendships, enormous expectations, and possibly a new form of science. Have you heard of Omnicalcumetry (I hope I spelled that right!) yet?
 If you are looking for a relatively light but fun and quirky read, check this one out.
Thank you to NetGalley and BHC Press for an advanced electronic copy of this book in exchange for an honest review!

The premise of this book was really interesting, but I did not expect all of the changing points of view! It would have been helpful to know which perspective I was meant to be reading from without having to figure it out for myself. I stopped reading at 20% because I wasn't having much fun, but I don't think it would have been a bad book - just the wrong one at the wrong time. If you like your plot to jump around, I think you'd really like this!
Relativity is a unique and at times fun read! It's the story of three men from Bloomington, Indiana each living separate lives but when circumstances arise and they find themselves needing to go to Chicago a friendship develops. I enjoyed each of the characters. They can be quite eccentric! The story flowed well making it an easy read. There's was some scientific terms that I had no idea what they were but altogether it was interesting to readabdget to know each of these men.

Thank you Let's Talk Books Promo and Ben Adams for sharing this book with me!
It has been described as being a satirical look at friendship and finding oneself. This is my kind of book - I love humor and quirky is right up alley. I can’t wait to dive in!

Here is the synopsis:

Harry Erickson believes he’s disproven Einstein’s Theory of General Relativity. Dennis Drysdale is in love with a woman he knew from high school. Timothy Henderson wants to professionally play video games.

I love a good road trip. This story follows three men as they travel the country. Along the way they make different discoveries about themselves, and their current situations.

The story is told in different narratives and I must admit that at times it was quite confusing to keep up.

I can't say I super loved this story., but I did finish it. It did not feel super cohesive at times. I did enjoy the rest stops in the book.

Thank you to the publisher for an advanced copy of this book for my honest opinion.
I am definitely not the target market for this book. It is a story of three men, from three different walks of life, but they are all somehow connected to each other.  TW: alcoholism, alcohol abuse, talk of miscarriage, depression, talks of adultery.

First is Henry. He thinks he is a genius and is rewriting the Einsteins theory to how the world works. He needs to go to Chicago and finally find a way to be acknowledged with his genius idea. He is in denial, that his life is basically in shambles, and doesn't want to loose hope in making something out of himself.

Second is Dennis. He is the new love, of Henry's ex-wife. He is having a mid-life crisis of his own, as he is not happy with himself, his life, his wife, and is hoping that his lost first love of his life will help repair it all.

And then we have Timothy. Probably the most endearing character in this book. He is a shy, a pushover, stuck in a marriage where his wife is depressed and drunk, His only way out is playing fantasy video games where he can be whoever he wants to be, he has friends, and even a lady friend that he likes. He wants to go on this journey to finally tell her about his feelings.

Overall, this is about men, for men and with some serious midlife crises all over the place. I mean the only way out is to find someone new? Except for Henry that is. He is stuck on his ex-wife, and on the idea that eventually she will go back to him, he just needs to prove his greatness. It felt almost like a cliche for men - 0 communication, self boasting, the only way out is being drunk or cheating. There were a couple of weird lines towards women , for example: "I'll wear her down eventually." That just rubbed me the wrong way. Can't take a NO?

I know a lot of people feel like this is a perfect picture of middle class men in midwest, Indiana in particular, and that is great, But I felt this was the ugly side of boring men.
What do three guys do when they aren’t satisfied with the way their lives are going?

They go on a road trip from Bloomington, Indiana to Chicago with each trying to fulfill a different void in their lives.

Harry, a middle aged college drop out, has written a 2,635 page paper “explaining everything that is wrong in the universe” with part of that paper disproving Einstein’s theory of relativity. He is going to the University of Chicago to hopefully get his paper published.

Timothy, Harry’s best friend and a chemistry professor, is going to play in a video game tournament with the hope of winning the million dollar prize and connecting  IRL with one of his virtual team members.

Dennis, Harry’s ex-wife’s boyfriend, is going to meet a woman that he feels understands his inner self.

This is a satirical novel that at times had me chuckling and other times had me feeling quite sad for these three guys.

The read has very snappy dialogue and the bulk of the book contains detailed backstories into why all three of the main characters are making the road trip.

I thought the resolution of this book was great. I think even though this has plenty of satirical moments it still teaches a valuable lesson on happiness.
I went into this one with a super open mind, hoping for some quirky and interesting characters. As someone who has multiple neurodivergencies, I love quirky! I am quirky! I was promised a story about a road trip, but at more than halfway through, we're still only barely getting to know the characters without much plot movement, and no road trip happening yet. I feel like they ALL needed therapy (or more therapy). Harry in particular has lived most of his adult life as a not-at-all healthy, barely functioning adult, bordering on delusional. I also was really thrown with why Dennis' chapters were in first person? I think I spent way too much time looking for a logical reason for this. Cheating in any stories is almost an automatic DNF for me, so no matter Timothy's weird and tragic backstory, I was probably never going to like him. Maybe he'll find all the happiness he desires one day with Ruby Dixon.
Many men in Bloomington, Indiana cope with midlife by purchasing flamethrowers. Three outliers, though, are bound together through friendship and circumstance. Harry Erickson, a janitor at a local nursing home, has spent a lifetime working on a Omnicalcumetry, a theory that disproves’s Einstein’s General Theory of Relativity. Dennis Drysdale, who lives with Harry’s ex-wife, has started messaging his high school crush. He’s convinced if he only was brave enough to talk to her back then, his life would have turned out better. And Timothy Henderson, Harry’s best friend, unhappy in his job and marriage, would rather play video games professionally.

When Harry accidentally burns his house down, he realizes it’s time to introduce the world to Omnicalcumetry, and the first step is reaching out to a professor in Chicago. Coincidentally, Timothy and his virtual team have been asked to attend a video game tournament in Chicago. They need a car from Dennis who agrees to drive them because his long-lost love also lives in the Windy City.

This satiric novel has moments of humor but also very touching scenes when the characters realize that their dreams are meaningless if they don’t honor their authentic selves. Some parts of the story are pretty weird and wild, but the underlying message is the joy of finding acceptance of one’s essential self, the best, the worst, and the weirdness!
The synopsis sounded interesting and I thought this is definitely what I like but unfortunately this book didn't work for me.

Thank you Netgalley and Publisher for giving me a chance.
Relativity (contemporary fiction/satire)
Rating: enjoyed

Thank you to @tlcbooktours, @benadamswrites, and @bhc.press for the #gifted digital copy. This book is available now!

Full review on bookstagram to come.

Told in alternating POVs between Harry, Timothy, and Dennis, this satire had a big focus on being a misfit, moving on, and second chances. Harry's character exhausted me as well as intrigued me, because sign me up for any math or science involving water balloon fights and ax throwing (his theory on omnicalcumetry). His friendship with Timothy was sweet, as both are two unique individuals, and it was fun to watch them be joined by Dennis, Harry's nemesis. The lead up to the road trip, with all the characters' backstories, was a bit more than was needed, and the trip portion of the story was so brief it left me wanting more. Also, although this is a satire, I didn't love how the women were portrayed, in particular Amanda and Deborah. That being said, lovers of sci fi and gaming will particularly enjoy this, as this takes up a huge chunk of Timothy's storyline.

Content warnings: bullying, racism, stillbirth, grief, infidelity, alcoholism, and addiction
I enjoyed this read. It was well written and the story was unique. I liked the characters and the over all premise of the book was new and interesting.
The synopsis of this book sounded intriguing, but unfortunately this one didn't work for me. I wasn't able to connect to any of the characters.
This seems to be written by men for men, or women who hate men and this gives them reason. This was billed as a road trip book, which I love, however the road trip is at the very end of the book and is only about 5% of the story. Mostly it seems to be about these 3 adult, dysfunctional and delusional men who are reaching for unattainable dreams. I know some people have enjoyed this book. While I usually love flawed characters, there was no one in the book I liked at all.
If you’re in the mood for a little something different, check out Relativity by Ben Adams. Mixing sci fi with road tripping, Relativity follows the journey of three men, each on their own journey.

A wild ride, this road trip occurs after Harry Erickson accidentally burns his house down. So he and three of his friends set out on a road of discovery, both literally and figuratively.

Quirky is what comes to mind when I think
of this book. It’s also a refreshing read as I find road trips in stories often involve women, not men. A different perspective is good from time to time. So if you’re looking for something outside the box, Relativity might be the book for you.