Cover Image: Anne of Greenville

Anne of Greenville

This is such a fun twist on the classic Anne of Green Gables. I loved her quirky hobbies and interests and was fully invested in the plot from the very first chapter.
The most unique retelling I have ever read! Anne of Green Gables is a beloved classic, and I was so excited to read this retelling. Mariko Tamaki has transformed Anne for the twenty-first century without loosing any of the characters charm. Anne is a strong female protagonist, who stand up for what she believes in, is a great friend and fiercely loyal. Anne of Greenville is still a quirky, unique, and loveable girl add Abba obsessed, and a love for all things vintage and roller blading and you have a protagonist who will capture the heart of readers. A fun read with serious and important themes. Thank you to NetGalley and Disney Publishing Worldwide Melissa De La Cruz Studio for this ARC.
This is a title that feels very difficult to review for a few reasons. One, I am not super familiar with the source material, Anne of Green Gables. Two, it covers a lot of tough things that are hard to read about. In this retelling, Anne is half-Japanese, with two moms and is queer herself. They move to small town Greenville. where they immediately experience intense homophobia and racism from the locals. Like the original, Anne meets some nice  townspeople along the way, like Berry, her new best friend. There's also Gilly, who is friends with the bullies, and often complicit in their bullying. Its a complicated dynamic, and its tough to know Anne has a crush on her. It makes Anne seem incredibly naive, and ruins a beloved dynamic from the originals. I dug where the romance ended up, and I think Gilly had a good arc, but the road there was bumpy to say the least.

My other issue with this book, that I can not believe I haven't seen other reviewers mention, is Anne's parents. One of her mom's takes a job as the vice-principal and immediately begins ignoring Anne's needs. When Anne takes extreme efforts to blend in to make her mom's life easier, it is never discouraged. What kind of mother lets a kid completely erase who they are? The climatic fight between them all is uncomfortable and, quite frankly, rage-inducing. It seems like they have a complete lack of faith in their own kid.

This does have a happy, neat ending.. And that's fine, except the book is too short. This book is filled with intense homophobia and racism until around page 263 (the book is 294 pages). After everything, the bullies barely face any repercussions. Queer and BIPOC readers are forced to feel uncomfortable throughout, without ever experiencing any real satisfaction. The intense discomfort I felt was not worth subpar ending.

Despite all this, I didn't hate the book. Anne is, as always, incredibly easy to root for. The queer twist on this story has been a long time coming, and fans should appreciate that. I loved that theatre becomes a safe space for the misfits, because that's always what it was for me. And I loved the quirky characters Anne met, even if none of them had enough page time. I'm giving this three stars, and will recommend it for our library, but will make sure readers really heed the trigger warning in the front of the book.
As a lover of all things Anne of Green Gables, I enjoyed this retelling very much.  Diversifying the cast was a good move on Tamaki's part.  It makes the whole story more relatable to a modern audience.  There were a few changes to the story that made me miss the original, but that's just the part of me that occasionally clings to beloved stories!
I love this modern retelling of Anne of Green Gables. Most of the main points are included: Spunky Anne and her shenanigans, adopted parents, a support best friend and the rival, I love all the allusions to the original characters subtly crafted in their names, but I love the modern relationships and teenage scenarios.

This story opens with Anne roller skating into her new small town and throwing a disco themed performance in the middle of the main square. No one is impressed by her antics and her homemade disco balls wind up a little soggy. The only silver lining is that she makes one friend: Berry.

As Anne tries to navigate an increasing homophobic and racist school, she relies more and more on her friendship with Berry, her roller skates and love of disco to cope. But can Anne survive the hatred, personal attacks and bullying without fighting back? And when she does stand her ground, will anyone be on her side?

I love the social commentary woven into this novel. And it's rare when a book motivates me to want to do something new or try something out, but this book made me splurge on roller skates - so now I need to revisit my childhood of skating days!
I very much enjoyed reading Anne of Greenville by #marikotamaki
It was an enjoyable retelling of Anne Of Green Gables, but not so much so that you knew every step of the way exactly what would happen.
Sometimes, I’d see a character’s name and think yep… and then a few chapters later be like nope!
I loved the way Anne was who she was, but that didn’t mean it was easy. She had her moments where being true to herself meant getting knocked down. She tried to avoid getting knocked down, but couldn’t maintain not being true to herself!
Read it!!!
A very quick read. Lots of familiar AoGG themes and loads of LGBTQIA representation. It was a quirky, silly, easy read with a main character who is extremely independent.
Anne is a queer, Japanese-American teen girl who was adopted by two lesbian mothers. She's got her own quirky disco loving style that is totally her and is trying to figure out who to be true to herself and still fit in at her school. Although this book is full of nods to the original, you don't have to have read any of the Anne of Green Gables series to enjoy this story. Anne is a biracial girl at a new town seemingly set on snuffing out her light. Beautiful story!

To be entirely honest, I did not finish this book. I got through more than half of it, but really never found connection in the characters or in the story. This is in part my own fault has I have no previous connection with Anne of Green Gables, so the references got lost on me. The story felt pretty predictable as Anne is a stand-out girl in a conservative town, who find a supportive friend also considered an "other" in the town. Anne's mothers are supportive, while still allowing her to find her own way. She is badly bullied for her flamboyance, which her peers correlate to her sexual orientation. The story was following an expected path, and I would assume the story would end happily. The writing was enjoyable, and the story was fun. I imagine this would be a fun read for those familiar with Anne of Green Gables.
I had never read or watched Anne of Green Gables or anything related to it, but figured I’d give this one a try as a fan of Mariko Tamaki’s graphic novels. It was a pretty straight forward, fast-paced read with an exuberant protagonist and some really great relationships, particularly Anne’s with her mothers. But Greenville? Greenville sucks. The eventual tolerance the Shirley’s are afforded seemed like a rushed resolution after all of the hatred flung their way. Overall, it was a fairly fun, quick read and has me considering picking up the classic!

Thank you to NetGalley and Disney Publishing for providing me with an eARC in exchange for an honest review.
This was a lovely story, a cute, very sweet romance, inspired by Anne of Green Gables. It wasn't so much a retelling as a story using Anne as basic inspiration and a source of character names, which as a big Anne fan was a little disappointing, but it can stand on its own.
Mariko Tamaki has done a fantastic job at reimagine this class story. i really enjoyed the take as well as the storyline she has created!

Thank you to netgalley and the publishers for providing me with an arc for an honest review!
Another fabulous story from Mariko Tamaki! Being a lover of the original Anne of Green Gables, I couldn't wait to pick up this fresh retelling. Tamaki's queer adaptation was joyful and still brought the joy of reading the original novel. Readers who have never read Montgomery's book will still fall in love with Anne. It was amazing to see Anne brought into the modern times and flush with a new love and new pitfalls. I can't wait to recommend it to many of my students who love the classics and the retellings currently being released.
This feels very Brandy Colbert The Only Black Girls in Town in a good way and Tamaki is a phenomenal creator. This one had the telltale signs of Tamaki.

The quirky adaptation of Anne of Green Gables worked, though I think anything that's a retelling can never truly add up because if the original is beloved you're always more critical. I am this way about any retelling. Some authors want to go point-by-point addressing everything in the original (Tamaki did this) while others make it a more loose interpretation. It was tolerable though a few elements could have dropped away and I wouldn't have missed them and it still would have been a solid retelling.

Either way, Anne is an adopted Asian kid with two moms, one of which is the new vice principal of Anne's school. There's prejudice and bullying toward both Anne and about Anne's mom and their moving to this small town featuring a stereotypical close mindedness and unwillingness to be accepting and understanding from Anne's dyed orange hair to her love of disco music and now she's going to be in the play and gets... Peter Pan, the lead role.

It was an enjoyable read.
The prose of Anne’s first person narration, while effervescent and cheerful, serves as an object lesson in the value of some distance with an omniscient third person narrator. Which is to say the prose here is exhausting.

There are a few problems here. One is that I do struggle with Anne retellings in a way I don’t with other retellings perhaps because this one is coded into my DNA in a way that others are not. The other problem is I think I’m trying to capture the spirit or this story Tamaki held into a lot of the wrong things so that it doesn’t feel very close to Anne in any of the most meaningful ways.
This was a did not finish for me. I only got about 10% of the way through the book, but it did not feel Anne of Green Gables-esque for me. Too much use of words in all caps was distracting.
I loved the premise of this book, the setting, and the supporting cast of characters. I found Anne to be a little irritating though, I think it's because it's been a long time since I was a high schooler trying to find my place. I think if I were a teenager currently going through that then I would definitely relate to it. The song references made me want to make a playlist to listen as I read.
Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for an electronic copy to read in exchange for an honest review.

Admittedly it has been a few years (decades) since I've read Anne of Green Gables. Despite that, this was very relatable - the names of the characters, the small town charm, the story. I love love love the modern twist and updated characters. It was such a great read that I found myself hoping there will be another one to show what happens next in Anne's story!
Anne of Greenville is a modern retelling of Anne of Green Gables. I was a huge fan of Anne of Green Gables so I was very excited to get the opportunity to read this book.

Overall, I did enjoy reading this, and blew through it in just two days. There were many things that were very similar to the original stories, with the names and some personality traits. I loved the stream of consciousness storytelling of Anne, and how she easily went off on tangents that eventually led her back to the original point.

There were some major updates to the plot. One main one being Anne was biracial (one parent was Japanese) and adopted by two LGTBQ women as a young child. They moved to a small town (Greenville) where they had difficulty fitting in due to their family makeup, as well as their strong personalities. Anne and her moms faced significant racism and homophobia from the community members, which led to a lot of the conflict in the story. There were a lot of references to 70s music and fashion, which were a fun addition.

If you are a hardcore fan of the original story, you might have a difficult time getting past some of the significant character differences, such as Gilbert Blythe being split into two different female characters, with one of those characters being a combination of Gilbert and Diana. But you could still follow this book even if you weren’t familiar with Anne of Green Gables at all.

My biggest complaint was how quickly it ended with everything supposedly resolved and tied up into a nice bow. That seemed unrealistic to me given the intense conflict with a lot of Anne’s classmates and community members.

I received a digital ARC of this book thanks to the publisher and NetGalley.
Thank you to #NetGalley, Mariko Tamaki, and the publisher of this book for the eARC copy in exchange for an honest review.
Anne is a disco loving, roller skating, Japanese-American positive teen. But when her and her moms move to Greenville for a job, the small town is not what Anne thought it would be. She is constantly picked on for her family and for who she likes. Can Anne hold out for her new crush and best friend or will Greenville be too much for her to handle.

I connected with this story because it reminded me of the small town I grew up in. The town I grew up in was not accepting of others unless you were just like them. I and several friends were different and not always accepted. I am thankful that my town has progressed from the town it once was. I think some of the people in the town got better too as the story went on.