Cover Image: The Lost Ticket

The Lost Ticket

It is hard to find inspiring stories with lovable characters that satisfy the soul, but this one made a sweet impression on the simple people we meet and the ones we pass by. Frank meets the most delightful red headed girl with excellent artistic talent in 1962 on Bus 88. She inspires him to move from his comfort zone and be what he wants to be even if it is against his parents' wishes. She was quite the example that dropped her parents' dream for her own to become an artist. This conversation on that one fateful day made an impact on Frank's life. He pursued his dreams to become an actor. She gave him her number on a bus ticket and with intentions to meet for a date to an art gallery. Frank lost the ticket, her number and her existence with no name to pursue.

60 years later, Frank is still searching for the red haired girl to tell her thank you for helping to make his dreams come true. As Alzheimer slips in to steal his plans and his independence, he has little hope of finding her. One day while he is riding Bus 88 he meets Libby, a young 29 year old with her heart broken by her boyfriend of 8 years.  Together they become a team to pursue his fantasy of finding her. She meets his caretaker Dylan, a questionable character, who helps her hang posters of Frank's story.

Everyone will enjoy this moving, heartwarming story of every day life, love and happiness....an unfortunate heartbreak.
Thank you NetGalley and Berkley Publishing Group for this ARC in exchange for my honest review.
I received a gifted galley of THE LOST TICKET by Freya Sampson for an honest review. Thank you to PRH Audio, Berkley Publishing Group and Netgalley for the opportunity to read and review!

THE LOST TICKET follows Libby, a young woman staying with her sister and her nephew after a breakup leaves her broken hearted. When she meets an elderly man named Frank riding the number 88 bus, he tells her his story. Back in 1962, Frank met a girl on this same bus line and the encounter was one that changed the entire trajectory of his life. The girl gave him her number, but he was heartbroken to realize that the ticket she wrote it on is missing when he gets home.

Sixty years have passed and he’s never given up looking for his lost girl as he rides the bus so he can thank her for the way she helped shape his life. Frank is dealing with a worsening case of dementia and a likely need to relocate to a care home so there is a time clock in play, but Libby is determined to help him find his lost girl.

This is a book that just settles into your heart! I felt so much for poor Frank and the life he has spent which was rich, but also a little sad in that missed connection with his lost girl. I loved how Libby was able to set aside her own heartbreak and reach out as a friend to this man through another chance encounter. We get to see more of Libby’s life with her ex, her family, and with new friends along the way, but that is only part of the story with the quest to find this woman at the heart.

The story took some twists and turns that I didn’t expect, but I loved how everything wrapped up in this one. I think it dealt with the topic of dementia very well and the heartache that such a condition brings. It also gave a very big nod to caregivers of all types which I appreciated.

I absolutely recommend adding this to your TBR!

This was one of my favorite reads so far of 2022!

Sampson's debut is a roller coaster ride of emotions. I loved, loved, loved Frank and Libby and Dylan and Esme and... you get the picture! (Okay, so I wasn't so crazy about Simon, but I did like how he developed throughout the story.) I want to applaud the author for including more mature characters than I'm used to reading (and I adored their interaction with the younger characters, particularly Frank and Libby). I had to smile each time the 88 London bus was mentioned, as it's such a great tie-in throughout the story. Numerous life lessons can be learned from this book, which would make it a great option for a book club read.  It's hard to read this one without a smile on your face and a tear in your eye.
Libby arrives in London broken-hearted and with her belongings stuffed into two bags. When she boards the bus feeling low, a friendly stranger named Frank strikes up a conversation with her. His story about his missing girl from the 88 bus gives Libby a mission, and sets her life on a very different course. While helping Frank find his missing girl, Libby discovers she is stronger than she ever thought and carves out a new life for herself along the way….maybe even finding love in an unconventional heartthrob.

My thoughts:

I love books with elderly people in them. I loved that the main fella mentioned in the book is a punk and not your typical “crush” material. There was a lot to love in this book actually. So many great characters with lovely story building scenes.
This book was such a lovely surprise for me. I was immediately drawn and Riley beautiful cover and the beautiful storyline kept me captivated.

There are two main story lines going on in this book. One follows Libby a newly singled female, who is down her luck and moving in with her high strong sister after her boyfriend of 8 years decided I needed a break.

Then we also have the storyline of Frank. Many years ago Frank met a girl on the 88 bus. This woman really changed his life and they had plans to meet, but unfortunately Frank lost her number and has spent the last 50 years searching for her.

There too wife’s get Intertwined and makes a beautiful story of love, compassion, and hope. I highly recommend this book.
The Lost Ticket is the latest in Freya Sampson’s iconically heartwarming British romances. This story starts decades ago when a man meets a woman on the 88 bus in London who changes his life, even though he accidentally never sees her again. Flash forward to present day, and Frank is still riding the 88 bus, searching for his long-lost woman and making friends along the way. Libby crosses paths with Frank and determines to help him on his search before it’s too late!

I absolutely loved the ensemble in this book, and that the dual-perspective was between Libby and the mystery woman who we hope crosses paths with Frank. Both stories were compelling even beyond their Love, Actually-like crossing!

If you loved Freya Sampson’s The Last Chance Library, The Authenticity Project by Clare Pooley, How to Find Love in a Bookshop by Veronica Henry or This Time Next Year by Sophie Cousens - you’ll adore The Lost Ticket!
I will be interviewing Sampson this week for my book show, Writer's Voice. This was a lovely book, a real page turner with many twists and turns and a deeply humanist story. A great read for pleasure!
This book was so good and I didn't want it to end. Frank had me swooning, and Libby and Dylan were such drawn out characters I felt as if I knew them. If you're looking for a feel good, absorbing, and heartwarming read, The Lost Ticket is a must read. This is one I will be reading and re-reading again because I love it so much.
When Libby got on the 88 bus, she was lost, lonely, and heartbroken. By the time she got off, she had a family.

This books is lovely wonderfulness at every stop. There is magic in Freya Sampson's writing. Anyone who's ever people-watched on mass transit will be completely entranced, and if you haven't, you'll start now.
THE LOST TICKET by Freya Sampson (The Last Chance Library) is a thoroughly enjoyable, feel-good novel. In many ways, the story begins in 1962 when Frank met a young, red-haired woman artist on London's 88 bus. He somehow lost her number and has searched for her for sixty years – yes, that's when he meets Libby, also red-haired and an aspiring artist on the same bus. Moved by the tale, Libby seeks to help find the mysterious #girlonthe88bus and she is joined in the attempt by Dylan, who wears a distinctive Mohawk and is Frank's caregiver. There are many rides on the 88 bus where "there's always the chance for a bit of drama or a brief chat with a stranger, the nugget of something new." London landmarks and neighborhoods are featured prominently, too. Relationships evolve, including amongst several rather dysfunctional families, but the story is ultimately heart-warming – as is Sampson’s note to all "who have championed my work ... writing stories has always been my dream, and it's thanks to all of you that it continues to come true." Looking forward to her next!
Freya Sampson, you are officially on my list of must read authors. I penciled you in after The Last Chance Library, but now you are there in permanent marker! The story of Libby and Frank and Dylan and the search for the girl on bus 88 captured my heart. I live in the US in the suburbs and never ride the bus. Still, your story made me feel like I was on that bus route with them day after day. There were many unpredictable moments and in the end this was such a satisfying read. Thank you for weaving a tale for us that warms our hearts and reminds us of the joys of friendship and the hope we give one another.

Thank you to Berkley and NetGalley for a DRC in exchange for an honest review.
One of these days I'll figure out that "heartwarming" often ends up meaning "you'll have your heart placed on a funeral pyre of despair and go through 3 boxes of Kleenex ... if you survive."

I think I need a good murder next. Those almost never make me want to cry.
The Lost Ticket
Freya Sampson

Thank you @letstalkbookspromo @netgalley @berkleypub for the #gifted e galley

If you only take one book recommendation of mine this year, MAKE IT THIS ONE.

This book.  Oh my goodness, I had no idea I would be reading what is most likely my favorite book of the year.  By looking at the cover, you’re expecting a cute, British rom com.  Don’t be deceived by the cover.  I love the cover and it drew me to read this one next, but it was so much more.

Have your tissues ready, this one is going to tug at your heart!  It’s also hopeful and wonderful and you’ll fall in love with this quirky group of characters.

FIVE STARS!

Highest recommendation
Sweet, lovely and heartwarming are three of the adjectives I’d use to describe the Lost Ticket and perfect for these times.
Four and a Half Stars ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭒
The Lost Ticket by Freya Sampson is a stand-alone women's fiction book with a bit of romance that is simply adorable.  It’s a heartwarming story of a few lost souls who bond on a bus, to find one last wish for one of the passengers

Libby Nicholls is back in London after a recent breakup with her fiance and employer.  She’s living with her overbearing sister and her husband and son, while she decides what to do with her life.  She rides a bus and meets Frank, an elderly gentleman who though she reminded him of his lost love, whom he met on the bus in 1962, and has been riding the bus hoping to meet his lost love once again.

Frank’s story inspires Libby to look for Frank’s lost love so at least she can give him some closure.  She meets Frank’s carer, Dylan, and together they hatch a plan to find Frank’s, lost love.  Will Libby and Dylan find the woman who stole Frank’s heart in 1962?  Or has too much time passed?

The Lost Ticket is a very heartwarming story that I just adored.  The quirky characters and their quest to find Frank’s, lost love.  It has found family, community spirit, and a light romance.  I love the way Libby took on the task of searching for Frank’s lost love.  She has her own issues, but the search became a way for her to ignore her situation for some time, and do something for others.

I loved all the characters in this book.  Although at first, it appears as if Libby is hiding from her life, it’s helping Frank that helps her to realize her own inner strengths as well as find out her own path in life.  I wanted to help Frank find his love and was rooting on this odd group of friends to find this woman,  as I was pulled into this story of love, friendships, and community.  And Dylan is nothing more than a sweetheart dressed in punk clothing.  He cares for his clients as if they were his own family and his outward demeanor is just a shield for a slightly wounded but extraordinary man.

I highly recommend The Lost Ticket to anyone who enjoys women's fiction. I received a complimentary copy of this book.  The opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.
The Lost Ticket is a sweet feel good book about strangers coming together to help an elderly man find his love connection.

While Frank’s story of lost love is compelling, it is Libby’s story that was even more heart wrenching. She was dumped by her jerk of a boyfriend and has no place to live but with her sister. Libby’s family are none too sympathetic and she clings on to the one thing she can control: helping Frank find the beautiful redhead he missed connecting with 60 years ago.

Libby goes through many hardships, so I cheered when I found out that she was taking control of her life and standing up for herself. Libby’s growing relationship with Frank and Dylan all while finding herself again is the sweet, uplifting book I needed to read right now. Well done!

4.5 rounded up
❤️Heartwarming stories
❤️ Unlikely Friendships
❤️Journey > Destination

This book was such a heartwarming story of unlikely friendships that are started on the bus line.

This was so enjoyable and really is about the journey not the destination. With this focus, the book was so well done and truly a beautiful read.

I loved that the characters were such an unlikely pairing for their adventure, but it worked so well and gave more depth to the dynamic between them and their journey.
When Libby, newly arrived in London, decides to help elderly Frank find the girl he met and lost on the number 88 bus years ago, in 1962, she didn't realize her search would help not only Frank, but herself as well. Libby is estranged from her parents who disapprove of her wanting to be an artist, and she is on her own, but meets Frank and other people who give her life new meaning and purpose.

The relationship that develops between young Libby and the aged Frank is heartwarming, as is her determination to help him find the girl he lost so many years ago when he misplaced her phone number written on that lost bus ticket.

The ending is not as we expected, but refreshing nevertheless, to finally have resolved the question of who the lost girl was and where life takes her. There are new friends for Libby as well, and  a new romance.
I received this book in exchange for an honest review, which has not altered my opinion of this book. I would like to thank NetGalley and Berkley for the ARC copy.

I need a physical copy of this book because it made me cry. This was such a heartfelt and emotionally character driven story, that captured my heart and has held it hostage. The characters are fun, different, and just sweet! Libby is a young woman who loves to have everything planned out, and when things got belly up at home, she is forced to leave for the big city of London, where her sister lives. Tense family dynamics mean that she spends as much time out of the house as she can, where she ends up meeting Frank, the sweetest old man ever and his carer, Dylan, the sweetest punk I've ever read about. Frank has been on a mission for over 60 years trying to find the woman he missed a connection with.

The story itself is full of sweet moments along with heartbreaking ones as Frank starts to slip farther and farther away due to his growing dementia. As someone who has had relatives with dementia, this was one of my favorite depictions of it in fiction writing. I've read some books that simply talk about dementia as forgetting small things or randomly forgetting everything, but this actually showed the progression of the disease and the ramifications. There's also other factors at play, but that would be spoilers.

Overall, this book made me cry, it made me laugh, and it made me smile. I give it a 4.5 out of 5 only because it took me a solid few chapters to get into it. HIGHLY recommend!!
I LOVED this read! A lighthearted, fast paced and sweet story about second chance romance, love, and friendships. The characters were so unlikely to be friends, but they formed a beautiful bond over a common goal. I felt the emotions and connected with this book, it was a wonderful read! Thank you Net Galley and the publisher for the ARC for a honest feedback.