Cover Image: The Lost Ticket

The Lost Ticket

what a touching book about loss and hope, love in less than perfect circumstances, learning to trust in yourself, boundaries, and simple kindnesses. i loved both libby and frank’s stories and their joint quest. This definitely qualifies as a quirky contemporary fiction with a cast of lovable characters. I loved how all the characters interacted with each other and how their relationships developed over time. if you’re looking for a heartwarming, cozy read, add this to your list!

side note: as an obstetrician, i find it very hard not to judge the truth of dramatic births in non-hospital settings scenes but i had to let this one slide lol.
Sweet and charming. But just not for me.
I am in the minority as  most other reviewers loved it.  Perhaps it was just bad timing.🤷🏻‍♀️

Thank you to NetGalley and Berkley Publishing.
When Libby Nicolls’ boyfriend breaks up with her and kicks her out of their shared house, she is forced to stay with her older sister in London, filling in as a glorified nanny to her nephew. On the 88 bus, she meets an older man named Frank, who enthralls her with his story of his dream girl he met forty years ago on the very same bus.  Libby decides to help Frank reconnect with the girl of his dreams by finding her.  She works with Franks’ caregiver, Dylan, whose mohawk and goth demeanor contrasts with his inner “softie” personality.  In helping Frank and spending time with Dylan, Libby just might find some meaning in her life and the courage to seek out her own dreams.

The Lost Ticket is an engaging, thoroughly enjoyable novel about relationships. It delves into the complicated but rich connections that humans make through their lives, with relatives, lovers, even acquaintances that may initially start out as casual, but become in strange ways, integral to their lives.  There are touching and bittersweet moments in this quick moving narrative that will stay with readers.  Libby shows a lot of growth and becomes more comfortable in her skin as she involves herself in the quest to help Frank and finds new friendships along the way.  The romance between Libby and Dylan progresses in an authentic, perfectly paced way.  Dylan is a sweetheart with flaws that make him more endearing. Although the suspense near the end felt a little contrived, The Lost Ticket delivers a very satisfying read that will leave a smile on the reader’s face.
Genre: Contemporary Fiction

Format: Audio

4🌟 - I liked it!

Thank you @prhaudio for the complimentary audiobook and @netgalley and @berkleypub for an E-ARC.

This book was so cute! This definitely fits the bill for quirky contemporary fiction full of lovable characters, charm, heartbreak, and deeper reflections upon life and the choices we make.

Libby and Frank had the sweetest dynamic, and I loved how all the characters interacted with one another throughout the book.

If you’re looking for an easy and heartwarming read, this is one you need to check out!

If you enjoyed this one I would recommend Adult Assembly Here and I’ve seen comparisons to Iona Iverson’s Rules for Commuting (TBR).
I wasn’t sure I’d like this story and I ended up loving it.  You will get wrapped up in being on Bus 88 and meeting all the wonderful characters that help Libby and Dylan find Frank’s mystery woman.  Libby makes some tough life decisions along the way as this book deals with family, friends and ex-boyfriend struggles.  Can’t wait to recommend this!
The Lost Ticket by Freya Sampson is a sweet story that will put a smile on your face. The characters are intriguing and the story is one that has a theme of perseverance. If you enjoy books with multigenerational friendships and a heart-warming message, this is one to watch for.

Libby, the main character, is dealing with a breakup and trying to move her life forward. Although she has moved in with her sister and become a nanny to her nephew, she makes the time to help a stranger on the bus. Her character is full of spunk and kindness, and I loved watching her find the strength within herself to move on.

❀ FANTASTIC SIDE CHARACTERS

The side characters are also fantastic, and I have to say that Frank is a favourite. He is an 82 year old man riding the 88 bus in search of a woman he had a brief encounter with years ago.  Frank is sweet and romantic, which makes his character that much more endearing. His punk carer, Dylan, is another side character that really gives the story depth and interest.

❀ AN UNLIKELY GROUP OF FRIENDS

What unfolds is an unlikely group of friends helping one another. I loved watching these characters get to know one another and work together to find Frank’s girl. Their determination and resourcefulness is both admirable and heartwarming.

❀ AN UPLIFTING STORY

The Lost Ticket by Freya Sampson is a perfect book to read if you are in the mood for an uplifting story. The characters are wonderful and the story is lovely and upbeat. It is definitely one to add to a fall TBR.
I enjoyed the back and forth between searching for Frank's long-lost bus crush and Libby's gradual life reshaping. The friends she made along the way were welcome characters. Overall, the story really dragged in parts though, and I had to read it in stops and starts.
4 stars

LIKES:
📝 jaunty, witty, quirky writing
👥 multi-pov
🇬🇧 set in the UK!
🕵️‍♀️ a fun investigation!
💔 examines the experience of a breakup
👨‍👩‍👧‍👦 + family & found family dynamics
👴🏼 + the experience of aging
🤰 + caregiving & motherhood
👩‍❤️‍👨 friends to lovers (closed door)
🌱 personal growth themes
😊 cute as heck!
🫶 wholesome
DISCLAIMERS:
⚠️ dm me for TW!
🏊‍♀️ idk what is is about quirky found family stories w elderly characters but I always feel like they mention heavy topics but don’t dive as deep as I want???
VERDICT: a wholesome, heartwarming, nostalgic & cute story exploring found family through quirky characters & a nostalgic search - fun british, art & punk vibes but wanted just a BIT more depth!
Such a clever premise for a book!
It gave me vibes like I had from The Authenticity Project.
I have been recommending to patrons looking for a light read during tough times.
this book was so incredible!! i am so thankful to netgalley for letting me read this book early! it was just such a fun and precious read. loved it so much!!!!
As publisher, I requested this book for a review that was being written for BookBrowse. Our reviewer rated it 4-stars

Review:
Beyond the Book:
The Lost Ticket is heartwarming and adorable contemporary that focuses on Libby’s new life phase in London and lost souls bond with each other through the search of Girl on the Bus 88. The story is about kindness, hope, dream, friendship, family, love, not giving up and standing up for yourself with the layers of abusive family, punk culture, and dementia.

there is lot going on here. It’s not a straightforward story. There are many characters in the book as it takes place on London Bus and main characters meet many people on the bus. All character has their own life’s worth of baggage adding layers to the story.

There is lot going on. It’s not a straightforward story. There are many characters in the book as it takes place on London Bus and main characters meet many people on the bus. All character has their own life’s worth of baggage adding layers to the story.

Relationships between the characters was my favorite part of the story. It was lovely how Libby, Frank, Dylan and Esme formed friendship. They were like a found family who were bound by the search of Frank’s girl.

Setting is the best part of the book. We get the tour of London on the Bus 88. I haven’t been to London before but I enjoyed reading about this Bus route. I also liked to know more about punk culture
and it was sad how people jump to assumptions about punks because of their appearance.

Overall, this is heartwarming, touching, wholesome, soulful, and hopeful contemporary about kindness with foud family vibe.
The lost ticket was an extremely delightful story. I was surprised by how well it was written and how fast I went through the book, soaking everything up. The characters were likable, and the plot itself wasn't overdramatic or far-fetched (as is sometimes my issue with contemporaries). My eyes leaked constantly during the last 20%. I absolutely adored this.
I don't read a lot of rom coms but I'm so glad I read this one.  It's just a sweet, simple story.  You can't help but feel good after reading this one.  I loved the unlikely friendships, the dual timelines, the London setting.  Finding love is what brought these people together for a fun, feel good story.
Such a great romance book! This was one of the first contemporary romances I have read in a long time and it won't be the last, I loved the storyline, plot, characters everything! I am glad that it was a breath of fresh air for me, something whimsical to get lost in. FABULOUS
This heartwarming novel will have you believing in second chances. Libby Nicholls arrives in London after an unexpected breakup. She meets Frank on the bus, and he tells her about a missed love connection with a woman he met in 1962. Libby decides to help Frank find his lost love while finding a fresh start for herself and forging new friendships.
The Lost Ticket is a beautiful story of found family, love, grief, and redemption. I truly loved this entire story and couldn't put it down. The story follows Libby as she arrives in London with two bags filled with her belongings after her boyfriend breaks up with her during dinner she thought he was going to propose. She ends up staying with her sister and helping to watch her young nephew. While on the bus, she meets Frank who tells the story about the woman he met in 1962 and their plans to meet up, but he lost the ticket with her phone number on it.

From there, Libby makes it her personal mission to find the woman and reunite Frank with her. During that time, she finds a group of friends that become her found family.

This story is incredibly moving and beautiful. It was a fun book to read and I enjoyed every minute of it.

4.5/5 stars
Thank you Berkley Publishing and NetGalley for the eARC.
I enjoyed this one at first but the over-simplistic nature of this writing style started feeling unexceptional after a few hundred pages. It's a lovely story but it needed something more to make it something special.
There are some books that you read and just fall in love with the book and the characters.  This is definitely one of those books.  Give me an elderly character looking for their first love and I'm hooked.  Give me great characters to help them along their journey and make it a found family type situation and I'm in love.  The lost ticket was so cute, heart-warming and while it may have also had me tearing up a time or two I'd definitely recommend this for a feel-good read.
Sometimes all you need is a feel-good story to remind you that you are not entirely cold-hearted. That’s me! I was unsure of what I was about to read, but I was hooked from the first chapter. The unlikely friendship between Libby and Frank is perfect. I can relate to this since one of my reading buddies in her late 70’s and we meet up for pink lemonade and book chats. So, I loved this part of the book.

For the past 60 years, Frank has been in love with the idea of finding the one that got away. During a rough time in Libby’s life, she meets Frank and helps search for the beautiful redhead girl he has been searching for. There are so many unique characters and an abundance of unlikely friendships that make this story so sweet. The book is sweet, uplifting and just what I needed.

P.S. I hated Libby’s family!

P.P.S This would be such a sweet holiday movie.